PDA

View Full Version : How did that Indian nickname ban work out?

TeamMother
1/17/2006, 08:09 PM
I did not see anything this year. Is it a dead issue?

NickZeppelin
1/17/2006, 08:31 PM
It'll only apply in Tourney games.

sooneron
1/17/2006, 08:31 PM
I believe that the Fighting Sioux will be changing their name.

Sonner magic923
1/17/2006, 08:33 PM
It should be a dead issue, Im a native american and theres alot I dont like about the Seminoles but there name or mascot isnt one of em

47straight
1/18/2006, 12:18 PM
I think that the nickname ban single-handedly ended poverty and substance abuse on reservations. A smashing success!

snp
1/18/2006, 01:13 PM
Great.

Did you not notice jkm, the stolen pifwafwi turn into just "jkm the stolen" during post season?

RooseveltRoughRider
1/18/2006, 01:15 PM
Certain Schools like Utah and Florida State have the approval of the Seminole & Ute Indian Tribes...so they are good. Those Sioux are pretty screwed though..

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2006, 01:18 PM
i'm surprised the displaced people of the hurricane affected regions arent lobbying to have teams with "hurricane" as their mascot, banned from post season play

its highly offensive to them

RooseveltRoughRider
1/18/2006, 01:22 PM
It's ironic that you said that..because Sam Houston High School in San Antonio had to change it's name from the Sam Houston Cherokees to the Sam Houston Hurricanes. It was actually fitting, since Sam Houston was part Cherokee.

Soonrboy
1/18/2006, 03:35 PM
It's ironic that you said that..because Sam Houston High School in San Antonio had to change it's name from the Sam Houston Cherokees to the Sam Houston Hurricanes. It was actually fitting, since Sam Houston was part Cherokee.

Actually his second wife was Cherokee...Sam Houston was known in Cherokee language as "the Big Drunk".

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 03:38 PM
Sam Houston High School in San Antonio had to change it's name from the Sam Houston Cherokees to the Sam Houston Hurricanes.

That's deeply offensive to any Katrina evacuees in San Antonio.

BoomerJack
1/18/2006, 04:43 PM
To my knowledge, there never was an Indian or Native American nickname issue at the University of Oklahoma.

There was a "mascot" named Lil' Red that used to roam the sidelines at football games dressed in impressive Indian regalia. He would perform what was perceived to be war dances designed to strike fear into the hearts of Sooner opponents. It was abolished in the early 1970's.

NormanPride
1/18/2006, 04:58 PM
I heard he was mostly abolished because the University didn't spend anything on Native American studies. Since I'm assuming that the University has improved in that area since then, it would be interesting how the Native American community would take to having him properly reinstated.

I'm only slightly Native American, and wasn't raised within that culture sphere, but I would think if Lil' Red was properly maintained as a proud icon of the Native American community it could be incredibly rewarding.

LoyalFan
1/18/2006, 07:23 PM
That's deeply offensive to any Katrina evacuees in San Antonio.

Well, we San Antonio types will be happy to send them to you so you can make them feel all better, LOL!
As I understand it, Mother FEMA will be flicking them off the money tittay soon and I fear the crime rate in SA will skyrocket. Though it's been hushed up to some extent, there have been problems with some of the 'gees here, including murder and drug matters.

LoyalCompassionateFan

OUstud
1/18/2006, 11:26 PM
It's dumb, because from what I've heard, none of the tribes care, they see it as an honor to have their name used, it's the NCAA being overly PC. So I guess it's Go Indigenous Peoples!

RooseveltRoughRider
1/19/2006, 08:59 AM
Well the school had the name before the Hurricane. Besides....Tulane is in New Orleans, and their mascot is the Green Wave...what is that anyway?

You can have our evacuees too..
Although there are some gorgeous gals from Louisiana bouncing around Houston now. I'm talkin the model looking, BMW driving Creole girls. WooHoo!!!!

But on a down side..murders have skyrocketed in Houston. 14 on Thanksgiving weekend alone. :(

GDC
1/19/2006, 09:02 AM
The only ones that need to be changed are the truly derogatory ones, like Redskins and Savages.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/19/2006, 09:04 AM
Agreed. Redskins is about as tacky as anything. That's like having a team called the Denver Dikes or the Austin Queers or the San Francisco Yellowmen...wait..let me quit before I offend. I KID I KID!!

soonerjoker
1/19/2006, 10:39 AM
the "fighting illini" had to change, i feel that "fighting irish" should also change.
some of us irish "euro-trash" really hate that name.

BoomerJack
1/19/2006, 10:47 AM
the "fighting illini" had to change, i feel that "fighting irish" should also change.

Univ. of Illinois had to change their nickname??? I thought they were not going to be allowed to bring their "mascot/cheerleader" to any NCAA sponsored tourneys.

BoomerJack
1/21/2006, 11:24 AM

I, for one, will gladly and enthusiastically sign a petition to change the Notre Dame nickname if presented with one.

jacru
1/21/2006, 03:42 PM
http://zoom.cafepress.com/8/903718_zoom.jpg
http://zoom.cafepress.com/0/932070_zoom.jpg
We get offended. Yes we do. We get offended. How about you?

Big Red Ron
1/21/2006, 04:53 PM
"The Hungry Honkeys"

noose7699
1/22/2006, 03:56 AM
heh. I agree that redskins is tacky. How is that different from saying for example, the LA Blackskins, or something like that?

Texas Rednecks.. :) there we go.. noone gets offended by that, right??

;)

ROCK ON!!!!

snp
1/22/2006, 05:29 AM

You take that back. Being drunk and belligerent is every Irish man's god-given right :(

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2006, 05:31 AM
It's dumb, because from what I've heard, none of the tribes care, they see it as an honor to have their name used, it's the NCAA being overly PC. So I guess it's Go Indigenous Peoples!

Yeah, you heard wrong. SOME tribes are OK with it. Not all.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/22/2006, 09:23 AM
No, the Fighting Illini are still the Fighting Illini. They really haven't gotten any flack over their name... I mean, you'd have to change the name of the state to get that to fly.

The issue at the U of I is over their masot, Chief Illiniwek. There is one guy up here that is 1/16th apache or something and he pickets every damned game. He even pickets the girls basketball games.

Anyway, the problem is with the outfit that the Chief wears during halftime. They say it's mockery, but I think it's pretty cool. The suit has been the same for something like 80 years, but it isn't authentic. It was an artist's interpratation and donated by an Illini Indian.

A great read on this:
http://www.chiefilliniwek.org/

soonerjoker
1/22/2006, 10:45 AM
my bad.