PDA

View Full Version : McElroy doesn't want to be a pirate, Tide instead

mrowl
1/17/2006, 05:52 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/011705dnspomcelroy.11c4f737.html

SL Carroll QB turns to Tide

McElroy changes commitment from Texas Tech to Alabama

04:09 PM CST on Tuesday, January 17, 2006

By TODD WILLS / The Dallas Morning News

Southlake Carroll quarterback Greg McElroy was in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 2 to see Alabama pull out a last-second victory over Texas Tech. On Tuesday, the Crimson Tide won another late decision over the Red Raiders, with this one involving McElroy.

McElroy told Alabama coaches Tuesday that he was switching his oral commitment from Texas Tech to the Crimson Tide. He also has informed the Tech coaching staff.

McElroy, who was a first-year starter this season, said because “so many people wanted to see me play more,” he was open to talking to other schools after he committed to Tech in September without having started a varsity game. He completed 312 of 459 passes for 4,682 yards and 56 touchdowns while leading Carroll to a 16-0 record and the Class 5A Division II state championship.

Those numbers brought in additional suitors from Alabama to Colorado to Michigan. When Alabama lost out on Florida prep star Tim Tebow, Crimson Tide coaches turned their quarterback desires to McElroy. He made an official visit to Tuscaloosa last weekend.

“If Alabama had offered me early on, I would have committed,” McElroy said. “But they were so tied up with Tim Tebow. When I made my commitment to Texas Tech, I didn’t have the options that I have now.”

He said it was hard to tell Tech coaches he was changing to Alabama.

“It was extremely, extremely difficult because the Tech coaching staff was so loyal,” McElroy said.

OUGreg723
1/17/2006, 09:24 PM
Cool. I'm glad, because this kid looks like he is realllly good. A diamond in the rough. Texas record holder for passing touchdowns in a season for 5A right??

Tidefan36854
1/17/2006, 10:31 PM
He looks like he has the potential to be really good. I give props to CMS and staff for landing him. I'm glad to see at least 3 potentially good QB's after the 2003 and 2004 seasons. Both of those years we were down to our 3rd stringers and it was rough!! I think John Parker Wilson starts next year, but I hope that Jimmy Barnes and McElroy gives him stiff competition in the Spring.

snp
1/17/2006, 11:45 PM
Cool. I'm glad, because this kid looks like he is realllly good. A diamond in the rough. Texas record holder for passing touchdowns in a season for 5A right??

You know what the term diamond in the rough means?

Because it's not the starting QB for the 5A state championship team, and argueably the best team in the nation.

He's like a gigantic diamond in a gigantic diamond factory.

soonerinabilene
1/19/2006, 06:11 PM
this is interesting, because tech's other qb oral commit, taylor potts, is now also considering switching to michigan.

caphorns
1/19/2006, 06:28 PM
Potts could be real good in that Tech offense. The problem is that no Tech QB has managed to stick at the next level.

soonerinabilene
1/20/2006, 04:13 PM
Potts could be real good in that Tech offense. The problem is that no Tech QB has managed to stick at the next level.

yeah, he would probably the most complete qb that leach has ever had. from what the abilene paper said, michigan is really offering him a lot, and even mentioned he could be the back up to henne next year, with that gutierrez guy transferring. thats a pretty enticing offer-to have a chance to be the main guy that soon at a traditional powerhouse, instead of waiting until you are a 5th yr senior to play one season at stats u. that would make anybody reconsider, imo.

snp
1/20/2006, 08:33 PM
I just checked out Tech's scout page and they had this "Tech Lands Top WR"

An unranked, 2* guy who played QB in HS that is going to become a WR.

Nice spin after losing McElroy, Tech.

Also, cap, Harrel is going to take over next year and have 3 years to play. We'll see if anything besides speeding tickets makes it out of Ennis. Damn I hate that town.

OUGreg723
1/21/2006, 12:31 PM
You know what the term diamond in the rough means?

Because it's not the starting QB for the 5A state championship team, and argueably the best team in the nation.

He's like a gigantic diamond in a gigantic diamond factory.

I meant because he isnt ranked as high, or getting enough attention as I think he should be. I guess that's because he only started one season. From the tape I've seen, he's one of the best QB's I've seen in a long time.

I guess player rankings dont mean anything anyway.

BASSooner
1/21/2006, 01:52 PM
rankings make no sense, alex smith and aaron rodgers were both 2 star prospects and they both went 1st round in the draft....makes no sense...

BillyBall
1/21/2006, 03:22 PM
rankings make no sense, alex smith and aaron rodgers were both 2 star prospects and they both went 1st round in the draft....makes no sense...

This post... This post is GOOD.

snp
1/21/2006, 03:24 PM

And Adrian Peterson, Reggie Bush, and Vince Young were all 5*s. It does make some sense, but it's not an exact science.