PDA

View Full Version : Man sucked to death in El Paso

KABOOKIE
1/17/2006, 04:41 PM
Ouch!

Mechanic Killed In ELP Ramp Mishap
Tue, 17 Jan '06
Pulled Into Engine During Run-Up

A mechanic was killed Monday at El Paso International Airport when he was drawn into the right engine of a Boeing 737 as it spooled up during a maintenance check.
Continental Airlines Flight 1515 was preparing to take off at approximately 9:30 this morning for Houston's Bush Intercontinental Airport when "a maintenance-related engine run-up" was carried out, according to FAA Southwest Region spokesman Roland Herwig. "Someone on the ground was sucked into the engine."
Continental Chairman and CEO Larry Kellner said there were 114 passengers and five crewmembers aboard the Boeing 737-500 (file photo of type, below) when the mechanic disappeared into the engine.
"My fellow coworkers and I extend our heartfelt sympathies to the family and friends of the mechanic involved in this tragic event," Kellner said in a written statement, adding the mechanic killed worked for one of the airline's suppliers.
"Continental is coordinating assistance for passengers who need help dealing with this tragedy," he added. "Continental's Employee Assistance Program team is also flying to El Paso to meet with employees."
Such an event is not unheard of, according to Boeing spokeswoman Liz Verdier. "it doesn't happen very often," she told CNN, "[but] it has happened in the past."
The NTSB sent an investigation team to look into the mishap, according to media reports. Continental's website showed Flight 1515 departed El Paso five hours late, arriving in El Paso after five o'clock... presumably using a different aircraft.

BudSooner
1/17/2006, 04:52 PM
I thought this was a Sammy Sosa thread???

GDC
1/17/2006, 05:00 PM
I damn near got sucked to death in Juarez a few times.

IB4OU2
1/17/2006, 05:19 PM
Ouch!

Another morselazation story........I heard they come in threes. Poor guy....:(

salth2o
1/17/2006, 05:23 PM
I damn near got sucked to death in Juarez a few times.

Donkey show?

Mjcpr
1/17/2006, 05:23 PM
Donkey show?

Well, he doesn't like to brag....

Czar Soonerov
1/17/2006, 05:25 PM
Donkey show?

Oh, he's killed countless donkeys that way...

Or so I'm told.

StoopTroup
1/17/2006, 05:31 PM
Man...

That sucks.

Bama/OU
1/17/2006, 05:36 PM
I'd like to die that way....sucked to death. There's been many a night I thought I might go that way, but that's another thread altogether.

;)

VeeJay
1/17/2006, 09:26 PM
:)

BeetDigger
1/17/2006, 10:01 PM
This part of the story:

Continental's website showed Flight 1515 departed El Paso five hours late, arriving in El Paso after five o'clock... presumably using a different aircraft.

Reminded me of the scene from The Big Chill:

upon telling how they found her boyfriend after he had slit his wrists and killed himself

"They found him in the bathtub, it was a real mess"
"Oh my. What'd you do?"
"Oh, we cleaned it up."

Okla-homey
1/17/2006, 10:38 PM
You know, before I even read the piece, I figured it was a 737 that got him. The engines are so low to the ground. If memory serves, there's less than three feet of clearance from the bottom of the nacelle to the tarmac.

737 engine intakes have snagged more than a few unwary ground personnel.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1540/7372ay.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

TheHumanAlphabet
1/17/2006, 10:51 PM
Not to be graphic, but this has been discussed extensively on the Continental Onepass section of Flyertalk.com. Apparently the person was a contract engine tech and was working on the engine. The cowling was open and the engine was revved. Apparently the 737-700 and above series create high vacuums and he was sucked into the engine. The plane and windows were splattered with blood and body parts, to the extent that CO is offering councelling to the crew, ground crew and passengers who had all boarded the plane and witnessed it. The Flight Attendents told people to lower the shades and exit the aircraft and look forward. The jetway was broken and they had to de-plane via stairs and re-enter the terminal from the outside.

Sad day for Continental and the contractor's family.

Okla-homey
1/17/2006, 11:13 PM
Not to be graphic, but this has been discussed extensively on the Continental Onepass section of Flyertalk.com. Apparently the person was a contract engine tech and was working on the engine. The cowling was open and the engine was revved. Apparently the 737-700 and above series create high vacuums and he was sucked into the engine. The plane and windows were splattered with blood and body parts, to the extent that CO is offering councelling to the crew, ground crew and passengers who had all boarded the plane and witnessed it. The Flight Attendents told people to lower the shades and exit the aircraft and look forward. The jetway was broken and they had to de-plane via stairs and re-enter the terminal from the outside.

Sad day for Continental and the contractor's family.

I did some checking. At idle, the danger area extends 30' in the form of a half circle with its straight side running parallel to mouth of the intake. With higher throttle settings, it is probably at least twice that. At least the poor guy didn't suffer.

OUWxGuesser
1/18/2006, 04:30 AM
Reminds me of:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/sucked%20in%20engine.avi
Luckily that crew member lived!

My dad flies for AA... I recall a story where a ground crew member walked into the prop of a commuter plane (ATR-72) while passengers were on board... not pretty.

OU4LIFE
1/18/2006, 06:12 AM
:)

your avatar fits perfectly in this thread. :D

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 09:13 AM
That guy really got into his work.

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 10:41 AM
The plane and windows were splattered with blood and body parts

How did this happen? The fan is set fairly far back into the cowling, and the airflow would have sent any...ummm...debris into the engine.

Oldnslo
1/18/2006, 10:52 AM
How did this happen? The fan is set fairly far back into the cowling, and the airflow would have sent any...ummm...debris into the engine.
He got propped up?

Red October
1/18/2006, 11:10 AM
Very Sad. Everyone here at Continental feels terrible about the whole thing.

When I used to do engine run ups, especially high power runs we were always in constant communication between the technician at the engine, and the person in the cockpit. Nobody made a move, adjustment, or engine speed change unless it was announced and accepted by all parties. You really have to keep your situational awareness at 110% when working around jet engines that are running.

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 11:11 AM
I hear railroad workers often step in front of trains as well.

GDC
1/18/2006, 11:50 AM
I hear railroad workers often step in front of trains as well.

I saw a guy get diced into three neat pieces on the Paris metro.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/18/2006, 11:57 AM

Don't know, just retelling what some people on the board were saying. Typically people from the company do post at times or very frequent flyers post. I am assuming it was correct as everyone was saying it was horrific.

1stTimeCaller
1/18/2006, 11:58 AM
that's terrible. would you go quick or get chopped to bits for a while then go?

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 11:59 AM
Like poop thru a goose.

Okla-homey
1/18/2006, 12:03 PM
The fan stage of the engine would slice you to ribbons, and the turbine stage would "cuisinart" and cook your bits.

just saying.

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 12:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw this on America's Funniest Home Videos.

1stTimeCaller
1/18/2006, 12:53 PM
I understand this is the SO and I've probably been guilty of it a time or two myself but c'mon folks.

This guy went to work and his wife/family expected him to come home when his shift was over. He didn't.

Maybe I just don't see the humor because I'm in construction and have seen guys come very close to not being able to go home after work.

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 12:59 PM
It always happens so fast too.

I was once almost blown off a billboard while on my ladder.

That would have been something to see.

Oldnslo
1/18/2006, 01:00 PM
I understand this is the SO and I've probably been guilty of it a time or two myself but c'mon folks.

This guy went to work and his wife/family expected him to come home when his shift was over. He didn't.

Maybe I just don't see the humor because I'm in construction and have seen guys come very close to not being able to go home after work.
c'mon. "Propped up" was comedy gold.

Gallows humor is what it is. At least the guy didn't feel anything.

I'll pray for the man's family. But I'll also whistle "Leavin' on a Jet Plane".

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 01:02 PM
The SO is not the place to come for sympathy.

picasso
1/18/2006, 01:06 PM
The fan stage of the engine would slice you to ribbons, and the turbine stage would "cuisinart" and cook your bits.

just saying.
not to make light of this but a former business partner of mine grew up in Frankfurt, Germany and used to work for an emergency response unit. They called themselves the spatula police.
He often told the story of an airliner that nailed an apartment complex. first thing he saw out of the ambulance was a head in a tree. and the story of the girl in the bathroom where one of the jet's engines ended up was ummm quite nasty.

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 01:10 PM
I'm hungry for lasagna.

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 01:12 PM
I'm hungry for lasagna.

I'm in more of a spaghetti mood.

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 01:13 PM
Well, don't look at me.

Red October
1/18/2006, 02:41 PM
I saw a guy get diced into three neat pieces on the Paris metro.

I saw a three guys get arrested in the Paris metro once. Cuffed and stuffed, face down in whatever excrament was covering that disgusting floor.....