PDA

View Full Version : $1400.00 for a flippin' vacuum?!?

Okla-homey
1/17/2006, 03:26 PM
Here's the dealio. This young couple we know and like asked us if they could come show us the "Rainbow" vacuum. It seemed important to them, we told them we weren't buying no matter what, but if it would help them, they could show us the thing.

So they came over and demonstrated it. It is kinda cool. It uses water to catch the dirt (like a bong traps gunkola) but $1400.00? No way.

Anyhoo, be alert for people you know wanting you to check out a "Rainbow" vacuum. I got the impression its one of those "progressive marketing" schemes (AKA "pyramid") where some big cahuna d00d gets bucks everytime they sell one.

It was also wierd that they had to call in to some vacuum command center and report when they arrived, when they left and the fact we weren't buying. The guy on duty in the command center upon hearing we were'nt buying made the young guy ask us follow-up questions on why we weren't buying and what they could do convince us to buy it.

Wierd. I wonder how intelligent, nice people get roped into this kinda racket?

Here what it looks like:
http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/5471/re2p5vd.jpg

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2006, 03:28 PM
Rainbow vacuums have been around forever haven't they?

I hear that they are awesome. But for $1400 they had better run themselves.

Mjcpr
1/17/2006, 03:30 PM
I wonder how intelligent, nice people couldn't know beforehand that this was a racket?

oumartin
1/17/2006, 03:32 PM
so, how many did u buy?

Ike
1/17/2006, 03:33 PM
damn...and I thought that at 500 bucks a dyson was an expensive vacuum....

which by the way, is on my list of things to get the wife someday...the pet hair model does a heluva job according to my sister who owns one.

Tailwind
1/17/2006, 03:40 PM
Did they use the expression "dregs of humanity" at all during their spiel?

Pieces Hit
1/17/2006, 03:41 PM
200.00 vacuum.

1200.00 profit.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/17/2006, 03:47 PM
damn...and I thought that at 500 bucks a dyson was an expensive vacuum....

which by the way, is on my list of things to get the wife someday...the pet hair model does a heluva job according to my sister who owns one.

Got one..."Loved it!" (from In Living Color").

Best damn vacuum I have ever had!

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 03:48 PM
Roomba.

Mjcpr
1/17/2006, 04:06 PM
Everyone knows this is just an undercover fundraiser for gheys.

LilSooner
1/17/2006, 04:07 PM
I hate to say it but my grandma loves hers. She keeps saying that I'm going to inherit it one of these days.

OklahomaTrombone
1/17/2006, 04:29 PM
Sounds like a Kirby

OklahomaTuba
1/17/2006, 04:30 PM
Looks like you just need to break down and buy some new carpet man.

Just say'n.

OUthunder
1/17/2006, 04:48 PM
Silver King pawns Rainbow.

Blue
1/17/2006, 04:55 PM
My mom had one from like 84 to 94. It seemed like a good vacuum. The floors were clean.

BudSooner
1/17/2006, 04:59 PM
Tuba got it right, for 1/2 the price of that damn thing you could install new carpet...even less if you do it yourself-depending on where you buy the carpet.

Oh hell, just buy a rug and take it outside and beat the pi$$ out of it now and then. ;)

Czar Soonerov
1/17/2006, 05:24 PM
Is it strong enough to suck a man to death? Just asking for a...friend.:O

Ike
1/17/2006, 05:30 PM
Oh hell, just buy a rug and take it outside and beat the pi$$ out of it now and then. ;)

with a cat.

SoonerBK
1/17/2006, 05:31 PM
Tuba got it right, for 1/2 the price of that damn thing you could install new carpet...even less if you do it yourself-depending on where you buy the carpet.

I know how to lay carpet. giggidy giggidy

BudSooner
1/17/2006, 05:35 PM
Is it strong enough to suck a man to death? Just asking for a...friend.:O

Leave me out of this ok?:D

mrowl
1/17/2006, 05:35 PM
those have been around for awhile...

And the MIL has a dyson, it is really cool. (for a vacuum)

Beef
1/17/2006, 05:38 PM
Maids are much better than $1400 vacuums.

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2006, 05:40 PM
frenchMaids are much better than $1400 vacuums.

yes, yes they are

StoopTroup
1/17/2006, 05:43 PM
Getting something that sucks good can get really expensive.

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 06:16 PM
Why don't you leave some of that water in there for a little while and see how it smells. I'd own a Kirby or a filterqueen first. My grandmother had a rainbow and that cat hair got quite ripe floating in that cesspool tank.

Sooner_Bob
1/17/2006, 06:27 PM
I hate to say it but my grandma loves hers. She keeps saying that I'm going to inherit it one of these days.

My mom sold them for a while. Just long enough to pay for the one she uses. We got her "old" one . . . they're not half bad, but I told her I wouldn't be paying that much for one either.

Sooner_Bob
1/17/2006, 06:29 PM
Why don't you leave some of that water in there for a little while and see how it smells. I'd own a Kirby or a filterqueen first. My grandmother had a rainbow and that cat hair got quite ripe floating in that cesspool tank.

She didn't dump it after each use? Ewwwwww. :eek:

Okla-homey
1/17/2006, 07:23 PM

Yeah, he briefed us you have to dump the vacuum bong water after each use.

Al Gore
1/17/2006, 07:25 PM
;)
Maids are much better than $1400 vacuums.word......

BoogercountySooner
1/17/2006, 08:24 PM
I like it when friends I haven't heard from in a log time want to just drop by and visit then they try to sell you something!:mad:

Just Sayin

1/17/2006, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I've been the victim of one of those "friends." I worked with him a few years before "the visit." He called and mentioned he had a business opportunity to discuss.

I remember getting all excited about it. The business we had worked in before was something I had considered branching out on my own in, and I figured he actually took the plunge and was looking for a partner. I was grilling out, prepping veggies... the works. I also remember telling my wife, "knowing my luck, he'll be pushing AMWAY."

We both got a big laugh out of that and went on grilling and preparing the salad.

Geeze.

Looking back, though, I think of all the money I could have saved on laundry soap simply by taking his advice.

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 08:49 PM
My wife bought a set of cutco knives without talking to me first.

The same individual tried to sell us a Kirby later.

Sooner_Bob
1/17/2006, 08:56 PM
Supposedly you can save some dough if you use Amway. Not sure about making much . . . I'm just not a salesman, and have no interest in that stuff.

My mom on the other hand . . .

BeetDigger
1/17/2006, 10:08 PM

The same individual tried to sell us a Kirby later.

[John Wayne Bobbit] What ever you do, don't pass out after you have sex [/John Wayne Bobbit]

SoonerInKCMO
1/18/2006, 12:21 AM

They prefer the term 'cutlery'. :texan:

Them Cutco's is some high-quality cuttin' things.

sanantoniosooner
1/18/2006, 12:34 AM
They prefer the term 'cutlery'. :texan:

Them Cutco's is some high-quality cuttin' things.
expensive also.

pb4ou
1/18/2006, 02:06 AM
I used to sell Rainbows back in 1991-92, they were 1200 smackeroos back then.

soonerboomer93
1/18/2006, 02:12 AM
I have heard great things about the Dysons, especially for pet hair since I have cats. That's about the most I'd consider spending for a vacumn

BeetDigger
1/18/2006, 11:21 AM
I have heard great things about the Dysons, especially for pet hair since I have cats. That's about the most I'd consider spending for a vacumn

If they get rid of cats, I am going out at lunch time and buying one.

soonerbrat
1/18/2006, 11:25 AM
i had an $800 vacuum once. actually my hubby did..he won it on the price is right.

Czar Soonerov
1/18/2006, 04:21 PM
This thread sucks.

Cam
1/23/2006, 08:38 PM
We've had a Rainbow for quite a while. Wife picked it up at a pawn shop. Damn fine piece of equipment. I sure as hell wouldn't spend $1400 on it though.

SoonerObsession
1/23/2006, 10:20 PM
When I was in college I went to work for an outfit called Fairfax. They sold "air filtration devices" that were actually vacuums. They were fantastic machines. They would filter the air of 99.99 % of all the nasty dust mites, dead skin, and other junk that floats as we speak. One of the demonstrations we would do with it was really cool. First we would vacuum the cusion of a couch and then we would place it in an airtight bag. We would suck the air out of the bag and watch the cushion shrink to the size of a pancake (had a fantastic motor on it). It was amazing the stuff it would bring to the surface of the cushions! Then we would basicly put the owners vacuum to shame by using it for about 30 seconds in one area, then going over that same area with the Fairfax. It would pull up some nasty stuff! Anyways, it always seemed like a great deal to the home owner until we told them it was $1800. Almost $2000 for a vacuum! Some of the places they sent us to were really poor communities too. After my third trip to demo the "air filtration device" I decided I didn't want to try and sell $1800 vacuums to people that will not make that much in 2 months of work. I trained for 3 nights and showed in 3 different homes and made $0. You had to make a sell to make any money. God I wanted to burn that place down!

sanantoniosooner
1/23/2006, 10:23 PM
"If you don't buy this air filtration device, you don't love your children"

Norm In Norman
1/23/2006, 10:37 PM
Yeah, that time that the vacuum guys (not rainbow - the other one. if forget) came to my house they had an interesting demonstration. First they took my vacuum, which was filled with cat hair and the filter was completely clogged with dirt, and ran it over a spot in the floor 40 times or something. Then they took their vacuum with no filter or bag or anything else except for a little thin black filter that probably caused absolutely no friction then went over the same spot once and showed what was on the black filter. I was supposed to be amazed or something that their vacuum with nothing restricting airflow worked better than my vacuum that was full of dirt and cat hair.

I imagine that must work on some people or they wouldn't try it.

Norm In Norman
1/23/2006, 10:49 PM
Here's my rant!

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17000