PDA

View Full Version : Hey, woman driving the Lincoln...

crawfish
1/17/2006, 02:46 PM
I'm impressed! You pull out in front of me, forcing me to squeal my tires to stop mere feet from your side door, and then as your eyes were aghast and fixed on me you kept going so the car in the ONCOMING traffic had to squeal his tires to stop just feet from hitting your hood...

and you never ONCE dropped your cell phone, or apparently stopped your conversation.

I swear, most people aren't smart enough to drive and talk on the cell phone at the same time. I'l be in FULL support of a law banning the practice. :mad:

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 02:50 PM
She said to apologize for her right before she hung up with me.

Osce0la
1/17/2006, 02:52 PM
I'm impressed! You pull out in front of me, forcing me to squeal my tires to stop mere feet from your side door, and then as your eyes were aghast and fixed on me you kept going so the car in the ONCOMING traffic had to squeal his tires to stop just feet from hitting your hood...

and you never ONCE dropped your cell phone, or apparently stopped your conversation.

I swear, most people aren't smart enough to drive and talk on the cell phone at the same time. I'l be in FULL support of a law banning the practice. :mad:

Story of my life...did she also look at you as if you had just done something wrong? I'm sure once she got past your car (and the other car that narrowly avoided her) she was screaming into the phone about the 2 idiots that almost hit her.

Mjcpr
1/17/2006, 02:54 PM
What are you doing out in traffic? You're supposed to be "working" from home.

IB4OU2
1/17/2006, 03:03 PM

I won't use a cell phone in a vehicle unless I'm stopped with the engine turned off. My wife never uses one at all.....anywhere and can't stand them.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/17/2006, 03:41 PM
It is a known fact from research that people use less mental processing while driving and talking on a cell phone than just driving alone. Bottom line, people can't do both and using a cell phone while driving should be against the law. It leads to distraction and an increased risk of accidents. My company has banned cell phone use while driving on company time.

Pieces Hit
1/17/2006, 03:44 PM
You should try driving and talking on the cell while rolling a joint and not spilling your margarita...

Dio
1/17/2006, 07:09 PM
If all you people would stay off your phones while you drive, you wouldn't keep forcing me to look up from my newspaper. Jeez!

Melo
1/17/2006, 07:39 PM

Just goes to show... woman drivers still suck.

While I was home for break, I was almost in three wrecks, same situations as you just stated, all not my fault (go figure). Though in my truck, I wouldnt be the one with a ruined car. Theyre lucky my brakes work.

BoogercountySooner
1/17/2006, 08:15 PM
I won't use a cell phone in a vehicle unless I'm stopped with the engine turned off. My wife never uses one at all.....anywhere and can't stand them.

I Talk to IB4OU2 and his wife a couple of times a week on my way down the freeway headed home on my cell phone!:O

GottaHavePride
1/17/2006, 08:35 PM
The problem is that people place the phone conversation much more importantly in their minds than the driving part. If I'm forced to answer the phone in the car not only will I use the headset, but the person calling me had better expect a lot of one-word answers and a lot of repeating themselves while I ignore them in order to drive.

AlbqSooner
1/17/2006, 08:42 PM
You should try driving and talking on the cell while rolling a joint and not spilling your margarita...
Oh Man, I am soooooo glad they didnt have cell phones back in the day when I was rolling and sucking on margaritas.

Sooner_Bob
1/17/2006, 08:59 PM
I understand where everyone is coming from and have been in similar situations myself, but I still fail to see what's so hard about talking on the phone and driving. Heck, some people suck at driving when that's all there is to do.

RacerX
1/17/2006, 09:31 PM

But you're old. I imagined you'd be driving down the street whilst writing letters.:D

RacerX
1/17/2006, 09:33 PM
No reason to make a law about it.

There's already one that's along the lines of not devoting full attention to driving.

Soonerbabeinbama
1/17/2006, 09:35 PM
Might not have had anything to do with a cell phone at all. You might have been mistaken about it being a Lincoln. It was probably a Volvo and the brakes went out on her!!:cool:

VeeJay
1/17/2006, 09:44 PM
I used to take in The Miami Herald either on the way to or from work. I would usually drive 60 but occasionally I'd be on I-75 and be going around 70-75 while trying to get caught up on the local section.

I admit, there was some difficulty in getting involved with a long article in the front section on international affairs while dodging dump trucks and constantly looking around for women with their sun visor mirrors pulled down, putting on makeup and all.

BeetDigger
1/17/2006, 09:57 PM
I understand where everyone is coming from and have been in similar situations myself, but I still fail to see what's so hard about talking on the phone and driving. Heck, some people suck at driving when that's all there is to do.

And based upon the conversations I overhear in the airport and other public places, some people suck at talking on the phone, when that's all there is to do. :eek:

IB4OU2
1/17/2006, 10:15 PM
But you're old. I imagined you'd be driving down the street whilst writing letters.:D

It's hard to keep pen on paper whilst driving a team of mules.......:D

Blue
1/17/2006, 10:27 PM

Yup.

Frankie say relax, people.

I talk, drive, and flip butts all at the same time.:D

crawfish
1/17/2006, 10:28 PM
Threadjacks are ok if you can fit the word "whilst" in them.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/17/2006, 10:56 PM

It is quite hard. The act of talking on a cell phone takes anywhere from 25% to 50% of the cognitive resources that you would apply to driving. So that measn you are missing information and queues or you are ignoring them and not processing the information. That creates a driving hazard and a marked increase in your likelihood of having an accident. We only have so much resource to apply to a cognitive task, if you multi-task, you apply less cognitive resource to the task than you would if you were doing it by itself. Cognitively A and B does not equal A+B.

Sooner_Bob
1/17/2006, 11:05 PM
And based upon the conversations I overhear in the airport and other public places, some people suck at talking on the phone, when that's all there is to do. :eek:

True.

Sooner_Bob
1/17/2006, 11:07 PM
It is quite hard. The act of talking on a cell phone takes anywhere from 25% to 50% of the cognitive resources that you would apply to driving. So that measn you are missing information and queues or you are ignoring them and not processing the information. That creates a driving hazard and a marked increase in your likelihood of having an accident. We only have so much resource to apply to a cognitive task, if you multi-task, you apply less cognitive resource to the task than you would if you were doing it by itself. Cognitively A and B does not equal A+B.

Don't be bringing science into this thread . . . whilst others might, our good crawfish won't stand for it.

Blue
1/18/2006, 01:22 AM

That's a bunch of crap. Go ahead an apply it to everything we do.

Either you're capable or you're not. People got in wrecks long before cell phones. Chalk it up to, "**** happens."

sanantoniosooner
1/18/2006, 07:53 AM
Hey, people can multitask.........but it reduces the ability to do either task as well. That's a fact.

Sooner_Bob
1/18/2006, 08:52 AM
Hey, people can multitask.........but it reduces the ability to do either task as well. That's a fact.

Sorry. What'd you say? I was talking on the phone.

Okla-homey
1/18/2006, 09:08 AM
It is a known fact from research that people use less mental processing while driving and talking on a cell phone than just driving alone. Bottom line, people can't do both and using a cell phone while driving should be against the law. It leads to distraction and an increased risk of accidents. My company has banned cell phone use while driving on company time.

Here's the thing for me on this issue. Every second of every day, people are flying airplanes while talking on the radio. They are also navigating, minding their altitude, airspeed, aircraft configuration and avoiding other traffic These are common, everyday folks, not Buck Rogers.

That said, if flying can be done safely, and it by definition involves "multi-tasking," then WTF is it more dangerous for me drive down the street talking on a telephone for crying out loud?

just saying.

IB4OU2
1/18/2006, 09:30 AM
Here's the thing for me on this issue. Every second of every day, people are flying airplanes while talking on the radio. They are also navigating, minding their altitude, airspeed, aircraft configuration and avoiding other traffic These are common, everyday folks, not Buck Rogers.

That said, if flying can be done safely, and it by definition involves "multi-tasking," then WTF is it more dangerous for me drive down the street talking on a telephone for crying out loud?

just saying.

I agree Homey, but alot of drivers today don't use the handsfree communication devices that are provided to pilots. They need to keep both hands on the wheel and if they would use the handsfree cell phones then the roads would be somewhat safer.

Mjcpr
1/18/2006, 09:44 AM
Unless you're The Jetsons, there's probably less traffic in the air too.

:D

crawfish
1/18/2006, 11:25 AM
Yeah, but you don't have one of these in a car:

http://www.bgu.ac.il/noar/students/interhug967/gil/tv-movie/airplane/otto.jpg