PDA

View Full Version : Peterson cited for suspended license

Ruuuuuufus
1/17/2006, 01:26 PM
Sophomore running back posts bond, says license had been reinstated

by William W. Savage III

January 17, 2006

OU star running back Adrian Peterson was pulled over at 11:50 p.m. Sunday and received a ticket for driving with a suspended license, the Norman Police Department said Monday.

“He was stopped for failure to stop at a stop sign,” said Norman police Lt. Paul Swenson.

Swenson said Peterson was pulled over at the intersection of Elmhurst and Oakhurst avenues in east Norman. He said Peterson received a warning for failing to make a complete stop, but was cited for driving with a suspended Oklahoma license.

“He was brought to the police station to post a bond,” Swenson said.

Peterson, a sophomore who finished the 2005 season with 1,108 yards and 14 touchdowns, told The Daily his license had been suspended as the result of a ticket he received in Texas in May 2005.

He said he thought the ticket had been taken care of and that he thought his license had been reinstated about two weeks before he traveled with the football team to the Holiday Bowl on Dec. 8.

“I’ve been traveling for two weeks with my license and everything (since returning from the bowl game),” Peterson said. “I just made it back (Sunday) night. I was surprised, yeah.”

Peterson said he was pulled over for making a “yield stop” at the intersection and was told his license was still suspended after the officer ran it through the system. He said he was then taken to the Norman Police Department and released.

“I walked up there myself and paid for it myself at the glass,” he said.

Peterson said he contacted his lawyer Monday and was waiting to hear back from him concerning the status of his license.

“He doesn’t know what the problem is,” Peterson said. “Maybe they just haven’t gotten the receipt up in Oklahoma City yet.”

A phone call to Kenny Mossman, assistant athletic director for media relations, was not immediately returned.

http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/01/17/43cc8f9260a8e

MRNOTDUCKS
1/17/2006, 01:39 PM
And Stoops allows this kind of reckless behavior to go on?! ;)

yermom
1/17/2006, 01:42 PM
that stop sign is a menace.

seriously.

Norm In Norman
1/17/2006, 01:42 PM
BURN HIM!

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2006, 01:44 PM
Lack of
Institutional
Control

olevetonahill
1/17/2006, 01:46 PM
Bane him

OUthunder
1/17/2006, 01:47 PM
Norman cops take you to jail for a suspended license? That happened to me last year and the cop told me to get it renewed ASAP with a warning only.

Norman cops are still a-holes obviously.

OUDoc
1/17/2006, 01:48 PM
99.99%

:D

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2006, 01:48 PM
they are

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/17/2006, 01:51 PM
I can't wait to hear about the OsU message boards...this will turn into the Norman PD found Peterson murdering 4 nuns and let him off with a warning....

chriscappel
1/17/2006, 01:52 PM
Ya they are almost as bad a Yukon Cops!!! mmmmm.....i....hate...Puke-on!!!

CobraKai
1/17/2006, 01:54 PM
Norman cops take you to jail for everything. I think I got taken in once because my pledge check to the Policemen's Ball fundraiser was 2 weeks late.

OUthunder
1/17/2006, 01:54 PM
I swear that the Norman PD has to be full of aggie lovers.

CobraKai
1/17/2006, 01:55 PM
This will certainly be cited as an example of Stoops' lack of control. People were totally POed that he left Everege play a few years back, after getting pulled over and receiving a bevy of traffic violations.

Funky G
1/17/2006, 02:05 PM
Not even a Stop sign can slow down the Mighty AD!!!

usmc-sooner
1/17/2006, 02:13 PM
the boys so fast he doesn't even need a car.

NormanPride
1/17/2006, 02:14 PM
what the pulice wont tell u is taht APs car had stanic symbles all over it, and he had *pause for counting* 3 ded baybies in the bakc!

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/17/2006, 02:21 PM
No No, you forget the opening [poke]I hvae an inside sourse who sais that he nows fore a fakt...[poke]

soonerlaw
1/17/2006, 02:26 PM
He needs a new lawyer.

TheGodfather889
1/17/2006, 02:34 PM
Suspended license? Kick him off the team!!! It's not like he's any good anyway right?;)

Taxman71
1/17/2006, 02:34 PM
Why the hell is AD having to drive his own car? Is there not one good lackey on scholly or hired as a manager that can drive him around like Mr. Big? One autograph per day should be enough compensation.

Octavian
1/17/2006, 02:36 PM
Swenson said Peterson was pulled over...in east Norman.

thats what happens when you hang out on the gangsta side w/ dOleMiTe and yermom ;)

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/4483/tony34ln.th.png (http://img463.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tony34ln.png)

Tailgate
1/17/2006, 02:36 PM
Unreal. He should not be allowed to play in the RRS this year.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/17/2006, 02:39 PM
ah, but they failed to mention that he was driving a lamborghini

olevetonahill
1/17/2006, 02:42 PM
Norman cops take you to jail for everything. I think I got taken in once because my pledge check to the Policemen's Ball fundraiser was 2 weeks late.
I heard that the Norman cops dont have balls :eek:

KingDavid
1/17/2006, 02:48 PM
I'm for at a little leniency with the players who really contribute, but this kid has always been an underachiever with a poor work ethic to mach his questionable talent. Let's free up another scholarship, I say.

Quack 10
1/17/2006, 02:54 PM
“He was stopped for failure to stop at a stop sign,” said Norman police Lt. Paul Swenson.

Nice quote Lt. Paul!

Should this guy really be speaking for the NPD?

Is this why Peterson signed with the Bears?

Seriously, I admit I don't follow the NFL until playoff time, but I did a major double take when I heard the annoucer say "Grossman hands off to Adrian Peterson."

GrapevineSooner
1/17/2006, 03:01 PM
The cop who pulled AD over must be related to the same cop in North Richland Hills who pulled my wife over simply because she forgot to use a turn signal while making a right hand turn out of a parking lot. :rolleyes:

GrapevineSooner
1/17/2006, 03:02 PM
Is this why Peterson signed with the Bears?

Seriously, I admit I don't follow the NFL until playoff time, but I did a major double take when I heard the annoucer say "Grossman hands off to Adrian Peterson."

No, Tommie convinced him to go. :D

okienole3
1/17/2006, 03:08 PM
Wow, Elmhurst and Oakhurst. I used to live on Elmhurst two houses down from the corner. I still have buddies that live in that house. I wish they would have seen it. There is a new roundabout there. Roundabouts suck ***.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/17/2006, 03:08 PM
Same thing happened to me a couple years ago. Got a ticket in Denton, TX (paid it). They said I never did and suspended my license. I got pulled over in east norman and got sent to jail. Luckily I still had the receipt at home. Though that didn't help with court cost and impoundment (less than a block from home). Norman cops are asshats

homerSimpsonsBrain
1/17/2006, 03:09 PM
... yield stop...

I believe this technique is more correctly referred to as a "Tulsa Rolling Stop". Please see Chapter 43, section 12, paragraph 2 of "Okie Driving Rules"

yermom
1/17/2006, 03:10 PM
Wow, Elmhurst and Oakhurst. I used to live on Elmhurst two houses down from the corner. I still have buddies that live in that house. I wish they would have seen it. There is a new roundabout there. Roundabouts suck ***.

yeah, they do... i have to go through one any time i go home or leave :mad:

soonerlaw
1/17/2006, 03:19 PM
The only suspended license story they have on SI is about Marcus Vick, and the only AD story they have is that he is the BEST PLAYER IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL IN 2006.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2006/01/17/gallery.bestcfbplayers/index.20.html

The Consumate Showman
1/17/2006, 03:29 PM
why does AD have a lawyer???? wow.

SkipTracer
1/17/2006, 03:36 PM
I want to know how AD can just walk up to the window and pay $2000.00 out of his own damn pocket like that.;)

snp
1/17/2006, 03:44 PM
why does AD have a lawyer???? wow.

I have a lawyer. So do a lot of other college kids. Our frat has a designated lawyer, and I'm sure there's some other lawyer that represents a lot of the football team. Anytime a person is in a high-profile status, it's probably a good idea to have one.

I want to know how AD can just walk up to the window and pay $2000.00 out of his own damn pocket like that.;)

They're not that expensive. I remember paying ~$500 for mine in Texas.

Rhino
1/17/2006, 04:10 PM
That stop sign sucks.

I've seen a handful of people pulled over at that awkward break in the road.

okienole3
1/17/2006, 04:22 PM
Not a stop sign now. It is a round-a-bout. Even worse.

yermom
1/17/2006, 04:24 PM
the stop sign is still there... it's lame

Rhino
1/17/2006, 04:25 PM
At Oakhurst & Burnt Oak?

SoonerShark
1/17/2006, 05:12 PM
Unreal. He should not be allowed to play in the RRS this year.

Peterson will not play this year against UT since he demanded to be paid compensation for his image being used in OU ads, but OU refuses to pay its players. Texas has not had a player who was not paid play in the OU-Texas game game since 1956.

yermom
1/17/2006, 05:16 PM
At Oakhurst & Burnt Oak?

ok, i need to look when i go home

IIRC the roundabouts were added in addition to the stop signs, not replacing any

SoonerShark
1/17/2006, 05:19 PM
Suspended license? Kick him off the team!!! It's not like he's any good anyway right?;)

It was a plea agreement. Actually, he was packing an Uzi and had a nude 14 year old girl and a fifteen year old boy in the car with their mouths and hands taped. His lawyer did an excellent job.

mdklatt
1/17/2006, 06:09 PM
Norman cops are still a-holes obviously.

The Norman Police Department is worthless. I could go on and on, but my most recent experience was when I had a window broken out of my car last year. I called the police department to file a report, and they basically told me "What do you want us to do about it?" I didn't expect them to go all CSI, but at least act like you care when a crime is committed. :rolleyes:

Collier11
1/17/2006, 06:13 PM
I had my cd player stolen twice in 4 months and they told me it was pointless to file a complaint because they arent even gonna investigate it...good to know they are looking out for me

SicEmBaylor
1/17/2006, 06:18 PM
Ugh,
That EXACT same thing happened to me a couple of years ago in Muskogee. I got a ticket on my way back to Texas that I had forgotten to pay. Well, one weekend I came home to visit my girlfriend and I get pulled over. My license had been suspended (I had no idea) and they arrested me, impounded my car, and took me to county lock up. They searched me, made me put on that damned orange jump suit, and I sat there for about 5 hours until my girlfriend finally picked me up.

So not to rag on AD or bitch about special treatment, but why did AD get off so easily when I thought I was about to recieve the death penalty?

okienole3
1/17/2006, 06:35 PM
At Oakhurst & Burnt Oak?

Oakhurst and Elmhurst. I think the stop signs are still there if you are coming off of Elmhurst on to Oakhurst.

mdklatt
1/17/2006, 06:39 PM
I had my cd player stolen twice in 4 months and they told me it was pointless to file a complaint because they arent even gonna investigate it...good to know they are looking out for me

Yeah, WTF is that about? I wasn't expecting them to investigate, I just wanted something on record for the insurance claim. Aren't they supposed to at least keep statistics on crimes? Like maybe if I was the 50th person to report a broken window in that area within the past week they might want to look into it?

Some more helpful advice for the Norman police: If it's 1994, and somebody is wearing a "Class of '92" T-shirt from Texas you can probably believe him when he says he's an OU student and not an NHS student playing hooky. And if that's not enough, surely the Texas driver's license should do it for you without needing to see an OU ID. :rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
1/17/2006, 06:48 PM
Well Norman PD can't possibly be worse than Waco PD. You can drive down nearly any street in Waco and see an eclectic group of prostitutes, drug dealers, and homeless people chasing after cars and knocking on windows.

You can point to nearly any house in Waco and be reasonably sure it's a crack house or meth kitchen. However, do the Waco PD ever do anything to clean up the streets of our fair city? Nope, they pull over the Baylor students going 5 mph over the speed limit.

Honest to God I was driving around one day and I saw a friend of mine pulled over for speeding with two squad cars on the scene and not a block down the street was a guy selling drugs.

Big John
1/17/2006, 06:53 PM
I demand he be suspended from the red/white game!;)

OU-HSV
1/17/2006, 07:16 PM
Shhhhhhhh...not too loud.
AD could have a good argument if that stop sign has a white line around it...don't you guys know the stop signs w/the white lines around the edge are optional? :confused: ;)

CatfishSooner
1/17/2006, 07:20 PM
Who would write AD a ticket....geez...

OU-HSV
1/17/2006, 07:26 PM
It was probably a sheephumper alum

snp
1/17/2006, 07:30 PM
My favorite part of Norman PD is when they try to do undercover stings on bars. You can tell who the obvious cops are, since they walk into Louies, 3 older guys, 1 younger guy, all wearing something they still think is hip. Like Hawaiian shirts, opened-up button downs, etc.

A couple times they've ID'd me or someone of my group of friends, and we just laugh and tell them to go to a new bar, since we're going to ruin their cover. If they don't, we start shouting "THESE GUYS ARE UNDERCOVER COPS. HIDE YOUR BEERS, MINORS"

sooneron
1/17/2006, 08:51 PM
The NPD sure did screw the pooch on the Julie Buskin case for a long time. They stepped in **** when some random cons dna matched.

They suck.

goingoneight
1/17/2006, 11:27 PM
Jeez, why does this stupid stuff make the news? I second the whole "even a stop sign can't slow down AD..." If I could shake your hand for that comment, I would...

BOOMERBRADLEY
1/17/2006, 11:54 PM

I would ask for his autograph then send him on his way.

And no, not the autograph on the ticket

Taxman71
1/18/2006, 09:35 AM
My favorite part of Norman PD is when they try to do undercover stings on bars. You can tell who the obvious cops are....

I think the requisite "buzzcut" sported by every Norman cop is a dead giveaway. That may have blended in during the pre-Beatles Norman, maybe. The fact that they never smile is another giveaway.

azzbakwardz
1/18/2006, 10:53 AM
OMG - The sky has fallen!! What is that guy gonna do next man! Stoops has lost control of this team and has to go......oh wait, what board am I on? LMAO!

william_brasky
1/18/2006, 11:54 AM
I think the requisite "buzzcut" sported by every Norman cop is a dead giveaway. That may have blended in during the pre-Beatles Norman, maybe. The fact that they never smile is another giveaway.

Don't forget the Department Mandated mustache.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/18/2006, 12:01 PM
Let's face it, Gundy probably would kick him off the team...he seems to like doing that ;)

caphorns
1/18/2006, 02:08 PM
All you guys bitchin' about the PD for doing there job. How do you know they didn't leave out the part about AD's suspicious lady friend and some drug paraphenalia ;)

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 02:20 PM
I think the requisite "buzzcut" sported by every Norman cop is a dead giveaway.

Don't forget the Department Mandated mustache.

Even on the female officers.

:eddie:

batonrougesooner
1/18/2006, 02:32 PM
It's obvious Chuck Long is the one responsible for all this. Sure glad he's gone.

The Consumate Showman
1/18/2006, 03:50 PM
All you guys bitchin' about the PD for doing there job. How do you know they didn't leave out the part about AD's suspicious lady friend and some drug paraphenalia ;)

Wow. That it. I sure thought you'd bring up the dead children in his trunk or the meth lab re runs out of the back of his car....:rolleyes:

bluedogok
1/18/2006, 11:39 PM
Do they still have the stupid Noise patrol that drives around with a microphone listening for loud parties? That seemed to be their favorite thing to do back when beer was still 18.

jdsooner
1/19/2006, 12:15 AM
My wife (the careful driver of the family) got a ticket in Norman when we were test driving a car. We told the cop that we were test driving the car from Reynolds Ford and then he asked for our insurance verification!

I said, "We're test driving the car; we don't have insurance verification."

He was obviously embarrassed and felt stupid, so he then started acting like Mr. Big and wrote us a speeking ticket. What a moron!

And don't forget the mace incident at the 2000 OU/Nebraska game.

snp
1/19/2006, 02:23 AM
And don't forget the mace incident at the 2000 OU/Nebraska game.

My roomate won't. He was part of that crowd.

We were also at a party and a fight broke out, and the cops started spraying mace EVERYWHERE. My roomate was an innocent bystander in the living room but he got a pretty bad dose, again.

mdklatt
1/19/2006, 10:51 AM
Do they still have the stupid Noise patrol that drives around with a microphone listening for loud parties?

Damn those people who are trying to sleep!

yermom
1/19/2006, 10:53 AM
Damn those people who are trying to sleep!

if it's too loud, you're too old

mdklatt
1/19/2006, 11:00 AM
if it's too loud, you're too old

Isn't it old people that need everything turned up loud? :D