PDA

View Full Version : Any Volvo owners here?

Red October
1/17/2006, 11:18 AM
I have a 2001 S40 with 72K miles, and I believe the transmission is slipping. The car is jerking when I accelerate, but is fine at highway speeds, and is fine at deceleration. I believe it is an early sign that the transmission is crying out for attention. I am afraid I will be spending mucho cashola at the european star motors. :( :( :(

Any Volvo owners have any experience with this?

Red October
1/17/2006, 11:20 AM
Also, I tried to use steel wool on the transmission, but it didnt work. :( It wasnt absorbent enough I guess....

;)

Mjcpr
1/17/2006, 11:21 AM
I don't think that's why it's jerking.

http://www.counter-ads.net/graphic_elements/sexy_volvo.jpg

sooneron
1/17/2006, 11:24 AM
Silly rabbit, this is a republican board. No one owns volvos here. Just F 150s and gas guzzlers the like.

Red October
1/17/2006, 11:28 AM
Silly rabbit, this is a republican board. No one owns volvos here. Just F 150s and gas guzzlers the like.

The Volvo is acutally my wife's car. I drive a 2004 Dodge 1500 pickup, Quad Cab, 4WD, 5.7 Hemi, with an OU trailer hitch cover. :D

sooneron
1/17/2006, 11:32 AM
So your wife drinks the lattes and voted for Kerry?

critical_phil
1/17/2006, 11:32 AM
No one owns volvos here.

The Volvo is acutally my wife's car.

:O

i've never had any problems w/ my '02 S40 (60K miles).

except that attracts hail storms, car thieves, and women trying to turn into oncoming traffic...............

crawfish
1/17/2006, 11:34 AM
Sorry, all the Volvo drivers are still out there doing 50 in the left lane...

Red October
1/17/2006, 11:41 AM
So your wife drinks the lattes and voted for Kerry?

Wonder Woman will surely kick your *** for that one!!!!

or at least negspek you. ;)

critical_phil
1/17/2006, 11:41 AM

says the man who likes Starlight Vocal Band..............

crawfish
1/17/2006, 11:42 AM
says the man who likes afternoon delight..............

I fixed it for you.

And, who doesn't? :D

sooneron
1/17/2006, 11:44 AM
LMAO!!!

It's like volvo owners feel it's their job to drive extra super duper safe b/c they're driving a super duper safe car.

I worked with the director that fabricated the false volvo commercial back in the 80's, didn't hurt his career one bit.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/17/2006, 11:51 AM
I was so for buying a S-80 a couple of years ago, then 9-11 happened. HAd a S-80 in Chicago and drove it back to OKC. It was new about 10K miles and as I was approaching OKC, the transmission started slipping and the dash lights came on. I limped to the airport, but am pretty sure the transmission was shot. I had driven only on the highway. After that, I decided that Volvo's may not be the car the reputation is built on...

IronSooner
1/17/2006, 12:27 PM
I've got a '97 850 T5 and it's been great to me. Got around 120k on it right now. You all do realize a Volvo is now a Ford right? They sold off everything but their Semi division, so only the 18-wheelers are still really Volvos. I think that happened around 2000 or so.

sooneron
1/17/2006, 01:05 PM
I've got a '97 850 T5 and it's been great to me. Got around 120k on it right now. You all do realize a Volvo is now a Ford right? They sold off everything but their Semi division, so only the 18-wheelers are still really Volvos. I think that happened around 2000 or so.
Therein, lies a LOT of the problem.

After some volvo experience through my parents, I can deduce that some are great cars and some are horrific lemons. I am not sure which are more prevalent.

yermom
1/17/2006, 01:08 PM
Subaru pwns Volvo ;)

automatic transmissions are teh succ anyway

OUDoc
1/17/2006, 01:40 PM
Volvo 31,200,000 results

Subaru 22,900,000 results

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Volvo&word2=Subaru

critical_phil
1/17/2006, 01:42 PM
take that beeotch..........

yermom
1/17/2006, 01:46 PM
just because more people gripe about them on websites ;)

critical_phil
1/17/2006, 01:51 PM
all the subafag results were me trying to track down the guy tailgating me the other night..

and by tailgating, i mean following at a closer than recommended distance.

Osce0la
1/17/2006, 02:50 PM
I have a 2001 S40 with 72K miles, and I believe the transmission is slipping. The car is jerking when I accelerate, but is fine at highway speeds, and is fine at deceleration. I believe it is an early sign that the transmission is crying out for attention. I am afraid I will be spending mucho cashola at the european star motors. :( :( :(

Any Volvo owners have any experience with this?

I don't have a Volvo, but had the same problem with my Honda. It was fine when driving and deceleration, but when I would accelerate, it would jerk really bad. What you described sounds like the same problems I had with my car when my transmission went out.

yermom
1/17/2006, 02:51 PM
all the subafag results were me trying to track down the guy tailgating me the other night..

and by tailgating, i mean following at a closer than recommended distance.

maybe you should speed up, grandpa ;)

GottaHavePride
1/17/2006, 07:53 PM
Subaru pwns Volvo
I present the Volvo S60R as a counterexample. The S60R clearly pwns Subaru.

In both gay:
http://www.sportbilen.se/forum/bildforum/albums/userpics/10261/normal_volvoS60R_mod~0.jpg

And non-gay:
http://www.car-vs-car.de/images/resized/yrfWS91.jpg

sooneron
1/17/2006, 08:53 PM
Non- gay would not go over too well with the speed humps.

GottaHavePride
1/17/2006, 09:17 PM
What do you mean? It's got enough of a backseat...

Oh, THOSE speed humps. Nevermind.

Soonerbabeinbama
1/17/2006, 09:23 PM
Driving the Volvo I had would be akin to flying a helicopter I think. I always had to drive with one foot on the gas, to keep it running - and one foot on the brake - to keep it from getting away from me. I was constantly pumping both pedals up and down. The airconditioner was so loud it sounded like a freight train was coming through the car. Had to turn the radio up very loud to drown out the sound of the A/C (which btw didn't work worth a crap.) Everything electrical in that car went tits up!! Once my driver's side door wouldn't close so I had to try to keep it shut by tying it with a bunji cord and holding on to the door the whole time I drove - needless to say - right turns were hell!!! I got a lot of exercise driving that Volvo.:D

GottaHavePride
1/17/2006, 09:51 PM
I had a friend that wound up driving a van in high school. It had some kind of short so it wouldn't start when it was wet, or even just slightly damp. It also had no handle on the sliding passenger door at all, just kind of a hole through the door. You had to work the latch mechanism by hand.

Oh, and for some reason the radio wouldn't work if the door was open. And I mean the radio completely died - clock reset, radio presets wiped, everything. The best part was that he had another short for about a year and a half where the "DOOR AJAR" light stayed on. And yes, the radio stayed dead the whole time, until one day he was driving through a McDonalds parking lot and hit a speed bump too hard - the "DOOR AJAR" light flipped off and the radio started blasting Tejano music at him. I think the radio station had changed format in the previous year. :D

Soonerbabeinbama
1/17/2006, 10:19 PM
I had a friend that wound up driving a van in high school. It had some kind of short so it wouldn't start when it was wet, or even just slightly damp. It also had no handle on the sliding passenger door at all, just kind of a hole through the door. You had to work the latch mechanism by hand.

Oh, and for some reason the radio wouldn't work if the door was open. And I mean the radio completely died - clock reset, radio presets wiped, everything. The best part was that he had another short for about a year and a half where the "DOOR AJAR" light stayed on. And yes, the radio stayed dead the whole time, until one day he was driving through a McDonalds parking lot and hit a speed bump too hard - the "DOOR AJAR" light flipped off and the radio started blasting Tejano music at him. I think the radio station had changed format in the previous year. :D
I didn't know Volvo made a van!!:eek:

GottaHavePride
1/17/2006, 10:31 PM
Heh. I think it was actually an old Ford Aerostar.

yermom
1/17/2006, 11:48 PM
I present the Volvo S60R as a counterexample. The S60R clearly pwns Subaru.

In both gay:
http://www.sportbilen.se/forum/bildforum/albums/userpics/10261/normal_volvoS60R_mod~0.jpg

And non-gay:
http://www.car-vs-car.de/images/resized/yrfWS91.jpg

for $5000 less you get a little more torque and 200 less pounds

of course, it only comes in "gay" :O

http://response.jp/issue/2005/0619/article71713_1.images/89174.jpg

i don't really like the new body style, the 2004 looks a lot better

proud gonzo
1/18/2006, 01:09 AM
it's a weird word, "volvo"

volvo volvo volvo volvo volvo volvo

critical_phil
1/18/2006, 01:12 AM
volvo volvo volvo volvo volvo volvo

you have no idea how much that's turning me on...........

yermom
1/18/2006, 01:17 AM
it's a weird word, "vulva"

vulva vulva vulva vulva vulva vulva

:eek:

critical_phil
1/18/2006, 01:18 AM
a subaru man wouldn't understand.......

yermom
1/18/2006, 01:19 AM
Volvo.... it kinda sounds like a man-vulva

critical_phil
1/18/2006, 01:21 AM
it's actually swedish for **** the japanese............

yermom
1/18/2006, 03:50 AM
it's actually swedish for Fix Or Repair Daily............

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/8065/peeonford7dx.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

OUWxGuesser
1/18/2006, 04:14 AM
What does the manual say about normal maintenence work? Has it seen a trans flush lately? The bad news is if you get a trans flush and the trans is bad(aka making metal pieces)... you're probably hosed once it is cleaned out. That said, my trans started going bad when it would take awhile or "boom" out of reverse. I've heard that is the first gear to go typically.

william_brasky
1/18/2006, 04:15 AM
Volvo.... it kinda sounds like a man-vulva

Mulva
http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/seinfeld/video/mulva.jpg