PDA

View Full Version : My water bill from Denver

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2006, 09:11 AM
I thought I had everything cleared up and paid and out of my name by now being as I moved out Sep 25th and my lease was up Dec 31st. I get a bill yesterday for the period of 11-20 thru 12-20. Apparently an empty apartment (landlord insists it is still empty) uses 1600 gallons of water per month. That's 53.333 gal/day. I'm not bright but methinks someone has been living there.

Stanley1
1/17/2006, 09:15 AM
I'm not bright .....

You can say that again.

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2006, 09:26 AM
I'm not bright...

Mjcpr
1/17/2006, 09:42 AM
Even if someone has been living there, I'm thinking 53 gallons a day is a big high........isn't it?

Why didn't you have it turned off when you moved?

Harry Beanbag
1/17/2006, 09:45 AM
An average shower is probably 25-30 gallons.

Mjcpr
1/17/2006, 10:04 AM
An average shower is probably 25-30 gallons.

Dang. I had no idea.

Stanley1
1/17/2006, 10:06 AM
Dang. I had no idea.

Maybe you should shower more often?

soonerbrat
1/17/2006, 10:07 AM
we should shower like the europeans do. get in, get wet, turn the water off, soap up, turn the water on, rinse off and get out.

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2006, 10:07 AM
It was supposed to have been transferred back to the apartment complex's account. After the first month I was gone I got my 'final' bill and paid it with a note to switch. Apparently this didn't happen.

The apartment has a kitchen sink, a bathroom sink, a water heater, a toilet and a shower. All I could think of was maybe the toilet was running. It never did when I lived there but even if it was, would a leaky/running toilet use 53 gallons per day? I need to find out if someone has been living in the apartment while I was still paying rent there.

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 10:08 AM
Dang. I had no idea.
Hot water tanks are larger than cologne bottles.

Harry Beanbag
1/17/2006, 10:08 AM
we should shower like the europeans do. get in, get wet, turn the water off, soap up, turn the water on, rinse off and get out.

Go ahead. I did it enough in the Navy to never do it again.

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 10:10 AM
If you have a 2 gal/min showerhead and take a 5-10 minute shower you reduce the amount by quite a bit.

soonerbrat
1/17/2006, 10:11 AM
love your avatar harry

fadada1
1/17/2006, 10:13 AM
Go ahead. I did it enough in the Navy to never do it again.
amen brotha squid. nothing better than standing there all soapy with that rediculous nozzle in your hand, feezing your hiney off, only to realize the boilers are down and you'll have to rinse off with water slightly warmer than ice.

Harry Beanbag
1/17/2006, 10:14 AM
It was supposed to have been transferred back to the apartment complex's account. After the first month I was gone I got my 'final' bill and paid it with a note to switch. Apparently this didn't happen.

The apartment has a kitchen sink, a bathroom sink, a water heater, a toilet and a shower. All I could think of was maybe the toilet was running. It never did when I lived there but even if it was, would a leaky/running toilet use 53 gallons per day? I need to find out if someone has been living in the apartment while I was still paying rent there.

Leaky faucet? I've seen vast ranges of how much water a running toilet will use, anywhere between 50 and 4000 gallons a day. 4000 seems way high though.

Harry Beanbag
1/17/2006, 10:17 AM
amen brotha squid. nothing better than standing there all soapy with that rediculous nozzle in your hand, feezing your hiney off, only to realize the boilers are down and you'll have to rinse off with water slightly warmer than ice.

Yeah, we had the problem where the temperature would fluctate between 35 and 180 degrees about every 10 seconds. :mad:

We made button holder downer thingies out of shower curtain rings so it wasn't quite as maddening.

fadada1
1/17/2006, 10:18 AM
We made button holder downer thingies
did you have to submit a 2KILO to have that made?:D

Mjcpr
1/17/2006, 10:19 AM
Have you called and closed the account yet or are you still learning a lesson?

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2006, 10:21 AM
I already did this once. I have paid this bill and told them that I will not be getting another bill from them. They need to start charging the apartment complex as my lease was up Dec 31st and I moved out Sep 25th.

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 10:23 AM
Tell them to shove it up their ***.

Or hire Ted Kaxkzinsky (dammit! how do you spell his name!??/) to send them a letter.

Mjcpr
1/17/2006, 10:25 AM
I already did this once. I have paid this bill and told them that I will not be getting another bill from them. They need to start charging the apartment complex as my lease was up Dec 31st and I moved out Sep 25th.

You said you put a note to switch. Call and close the account....the apartment complex can have it turned on in their name if they feel like it. If the current account is in your name, close it.

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 10:28 AM
You said you put a note to switch. Call and close the account....the apartment complex can have it turned on in their name if they feel like it. If the current account is in your name, close it.

You're pretty smart for a cracker.

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2006, 10:35 AM
I've called them, made what I thought was the final payment, told them to cut it off. Got another bill, mailed the payment and included a note to transfer back to complwx from my name.

I'm on hold right now and I'm going to get some satisfaction. This yainch is telling me they have been estimating my usage since their meter isn't working. Not my problem is my argument right now.

more to follow.

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2006, 10:36 AM
Apparently I can't switch it off or cut it off, the apartment has too.

Mjcpr
1/17/2006, 10:37 AM
Apparently I can't switch it off or cut it off, the apartment has too.

Then it isn't in your name. Sounds like the apartment complex's baby to me.

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2006, 10:37 AM
they are calling the apartment to confirm that the place has been empty and are going to change the bill and give me a new one for the minimum.

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2006, 10:39 AM
Then it isn't in your name. Sounds like the apartment complex's baby to me.
I'd have to look but I'm sure the lease covers this crap. It is in my name but only the complex can switch it back to them and since my lease wasn't over until Dec 31st I'm on the hook for the minimum, whatever that is.

Harry Beanbag
1/17/2006, 11:10 AM
did you have to submit a 2KILO to have that made?:D

No, but we did have to hide them periodically. :)

Since we were engineers, we felt like we earned the right to have them anyway.

Pricetag
1/17/2006, 02:31 PM
If you have a 2 gal/min showerhead and take a 5-10 minute shower you reduce the amount by quite a bit.
Those are those showerheads that feel kinda like a dog peeing on your head, aren't they?

mdklatt
1/17/2006, 02:33 PM
we should shower like the europeans do.

Once a week?

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 02:35 PM
Those are those showerheads that feel kinda like a dog peeing on your head, aren't they?
depends. Some are good and some suck.

Kind of like water saver toilets. Some work.......and some "CAN'T HANDLE THE LOG!!!"

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 02:36 PM
Once a week?
Don't remind me. We almost had to hold a gun to our exchange students head to get him to shower often enough.

Mjcpr
1/17/2006, 02:56 PM
Wait a minute....if this water was used for carpet cleaning, you might still be liable.

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2006, 02:58 PM
I'm on hold with the water company again. I've been on hold for 15 minutes. I'm happy, very happy right now.

OU Adonis
1/17/2006, 03:43 PM
Wait a minute....if this water was used for carpet cleaning, you might still be liable.

Did 1TC take his dates back to his place?

salth2o
1/17/2006, 05:19 PM

Too cold!

Pricetag
1/17/2006, 05:49 PM
Too cold!
As long as the bathroom door is closed, I never have a problem with the air temperature.

If I leave the water on, it washes the soap away almost immediately as I wash. I don't feel sufficiently clean unless I'm covered from head to toe in soap suds at least for a minute or so.

mdklatt
1/17/2006, 05:52 PM
I don't feel sufficiently clean unless I'm covered from head
to toe in soap suds at least for a minute or so.

Psst...soap is just a surfactant. Water is what does the actual cleaning.

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 06:04 PM
Psst...soap is just a surfactant.
HEY.......take that language to the brokeback thread.

SOONER44EVER
1/17/2006, 06:54 PM
I got a water bill for a 4 unit apartment building I own last month for $262. It usually runs about $100. The bill says there were 92000 gallons used. I went back 4 years and the most water ever used in a month was 14000 gallons. I had the meter reread and they said it was correct. I'm now in the process of getting the meter pulled and tested. I checked every apartment and there are no leaks. None under the building or in the yard either. One apartment is vacant.I had the same thing happen at a vacant house a few years ago and had to pay the high bill. Utility companies are not my friends. :mad:

soonerboomer93
1/18/2006, 02:32 AM
sorry, I needed to fill the pool