PDA

View Full Version : Just now on "The Golden Globes"

Okla-homey
1/16/2006, 10:58 PM
Dennis Quaid said of "Brokeback Mountain:"...its a movie about, well let's just say it rhymes with 'chick flick':eek:

I about swallowed my dip.

I bet they don't invite him to present again next year.:D

I also bet his brother Randy (in the audience) loved the moment. "Cousin Eddie" was smiling like he just won a new RV.

BTW, surprise!!!! "BM" won best drama film.

Jimminy Crimson
1/16/2006, 11:45 PM
The only award that piece of trash should receive is:

Best gay fiilm of the year goes to.....

:texan:

proud gonzo
1/17/2006, 12:55 AM
The only award that piece of trash should receive is:

have you seen it?

OklahomaTuba
1/17/2006, 12:58 AM
I doubt many people go and see it.

proud gonzo
1/17/2006, 01:16 AM
I guess that's why it's made $32.1 million so far :rolleyes:

KC//CRIMSON
1/17/2006, 01:25 AM
Scarlet Johannsen sport'n the globes.;)
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060117/capt.gga27601170222.golden_globes_gga276.jpg

47straight
1/17/2006, 01:31 AM

Ticket prices (along with the overall standard of living) are substantially higher in New York, LA, and San Francisco.

proud gonzo
1/17/2006, 01:39 AM
ooh, zang. you got me good.

maybe we should adjust movie grosses so gay people's money doesn't count for as much. it'll be kinda like when we only counted black people as 3/5 of a person. :rolleyes:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/17/2006, 01:47 AM
It's Hollyweird telling middle America they need to embrace homosexualiy. Like they gave the euthanasia flick all the awards last year to cram it down our throats. The hel* with 'em. They're complaining that movie revenue is going down. Wonder why...NOT

Jimminy Crimson
1/17/2006, 01:49 AM
have you seen it?

It doesn't even look like a good story, regardless of the amount of fudge packing that goes on.

If it were about a normal relationship (...then it wouldnt have been made), I still wouldn't go see it. It'd be like an even ****tier version of Bridges of Madison County or something. ;)

:dean:, WHY CAN'T I QUIT YOU?

soonerscuba
1/17/2006, 01:51 AM
I hated how Hollyweird told me that crucification was somehow beneficial to me.

mrowl
1/17/2006, 07:02 AM
That was greatness by Dennis Quaid, someone needed to make fun of hump mountain.

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2006, 07:26 AM
ooh, zang. you got me good.

maybe we should adjust movie grosses so gay people's money doesn't count for as much. it'll be kinda like when we only counted black people as 3/5 of a person. :rolleyes:

wow, stretch things much?

and KC - thank you, thank you.....

SoonerBorn68
1/17/2006, 07:36 AM
I hated how Hollyweird told me that crucification was somehow beneficial to me.

If I remember correctly, the critics and Hollywood "elite" didn't really embrace The Passion Of The Christ...thought it wouldn't work.

Scuba, if you want to see a movie about guys kissin', well, more power to ya.

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2006, 07:39 AM
i'd rather watch will and grace.....

SoonerBorn68
1/17/2006, 07:41 AM
I'd rather watch paint dry.

mrowl
1/17/2006, 07:52 AM
I'd rather watch Scarlett

Okla-homey
1/17/2006, 07:52 AM
i'd rather watch will and grace.....

You know that little guy who plays the flamer comedic side-kick is actually straight in real life? :D

Okieflyer
1/17/2006, 07:57 AM
I'll bet they're getting excited about "recieving" the Oscar! :D
http://www.cinematical.com/images/2005/07/oscar.jpg

OklahomaTrombone
1/17/2006, 08:24 AM

That only puts it 78 Million behind Scary Movie 3

Okieflyer
1/17/2006, 08:33 AM

Yeah, and what a monumental epic that was. ;)

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2006, 08:35 AM
You know that little guy who plays the flamer comedic side-kick is actually straight in real life? :D

no actually he's as gay as 3 dollar bill

will is the straight one

mrowl
1/17/2006, 08:44 AM

It only needs $5 million more to tie Crossroads!

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00006JY2I.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 10:38 AM
Take a look at Brokeback Mountain when you look at per screen average.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movies/box_office.php?sort=gross_per_venue&rank_id=816

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2006, 10:44 AM

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movies/box_office.php?sort=gross_per_venue&rank_id=816

that's like saying a guy drowned in a river that is only 4" deep, on average.

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 10:50 AM
that's like saying a guy drowned in a river that is only 4" deep, on average.

:dean: You don't have 4" /:dean:

Jimminy Crimson
1/17/2006, 10:50 AM

They're only releasing it on certain screens so they can throw some stupid number at you. ...to get you to buy into the 'see, its normal' thing. :texan:

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 11:06 AM
They're only releasing it on certain screens so they can throw some stupid number at you. ...to get you to buy into the 'see, its normal' thing. :texan:

It's on two screens in Tulsa. Right here in the middle of Bible thumpin' USA.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/17/2006, 11:07 AM
Did you guys see the political cartoon in The Oklahoman the other day? It showed John Wayne keeled over in heaven and one of the angels said "they just told him what Brokeback Mountain was about."

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2006, 11:10 AM
i'm not sure i can ever watch lonesome dove again, knowing that mcmurtry wrote brokeback mountain

Jimminy Crimson
1/17/2006, 11:12 AM
It's on two screens in Tulsa. Right here in the middle of Bible thumpin' USA.

The release of a normal movie, in a city the size of Tulsa, would get a heckuva lot more than two screens.

...and doesn't Tulsa have a Bible thumpin' preacher who tried to reinact Brokeass Mountain? ;)

soonerjoker
1/17/2006, 11:14 AM
did the movie "make" 32 mil; or is that a gross figure ??

OU Adonis
1/17/2006, 11:15 AM

Sweet, that means SM3 is 3 times better right? :D

Jimminy Crimson
1/17/2006, 11:15 AM
did the movie "make" 32 mil; or is that a gross figure ??

it's a gross movie, not a gross figure. :texan:

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2006, 11:16 AM
i wonder how much of the films budget was spent paying the Queer Eye crew to "fix" the mountain.....

Stanley1
1/17/2006, 11:22 AM

There is nothing normal about sticking your pecker anywhere near another dude.

JMO.

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 11:24 AM
The release of a normal movie, in a city the size of Tulsa, would get a heckuva lot more than two screens.

...and doesn't Tulsa have a Bible thumpin' preacher who tried to reinact Brokeass Mountain? ;)

This movie isn't designed to be a War of the Worlds, Star Wars type big budget flick that gets totally overhyped.

Hotel Rwanda last year took in 23 million at the box office.
Sideways did 71 million.
This year The Constant Gardner did 33 million.

All films that weren't big budget that were or are award winning films.

So far Brokeback Mountain has done 32 million, I'd say that since the Oscar buzz hasn't fully picked this movie up, but once it does it'll do just fine. Comparitively speaking of course.

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/17/2006, 11:24 AM
Doing decent at the box office. Maybe they should pair up Mighty Joe Young and King Kong in a double Sequel.

Silverback Mountain

So, we've got a couple of cowboys having an adulterous cowboy affair that destroys two families. I hope they're not promoting THIS type of cowboy love as a good thing. When the one dude gets killed by the hubcap at the end, I wonder if they focus on the grief these two men caused or the grief of the surviving adulterer in his flannel nightie?

It may be an important and brave movie and all that, but don't try and sell what these two cowboys did as right. As long as they show consequences to the selfishness that they showed, I don't have a problem with putting reality on screen.

I mean, look at Godfather, great movie, but not exactly happy. There were consequences to living like they did.

Okla-homey
1/17/2006, 11:40 AM
i'm not sure i can ever watch lonesome dove again, knowing that mcmurtry wrote brokeback mountain

yeah, but in the book, its two hawt cowgirls who prance aound the mountain meadows in arseless chaps and denim halter tops...so its all good.

Jimminy Crimson
1/17/2006, 11:45 AM
two hawt cowgirls who prance aound the mountain meadows in arseless chaps and denim halter tops

That's a movie I'd go see! :D

skycat
1/17/2006, 11:52 AM
It may be an important and brave movie and all that, but don't try and sell what these two cowboys did as right. As long as they show consequences to the selfishness that they showed, I don't have a problem with putting reality on screen.

Well it is an Ang Lee movie. That guy doesn't do happy.

sooneron
1/17/2006, 11:53 AM
Yeah, did Beano see the ice storm?

handcrafted
1/17/2006, 12:21 PM
I just don't think Bareback Mountain has a chance to win best picture. It's got too much competition from Walk the Line and Munich, both of which appeal to traditional hollywood types much more than ghey cowboys.

And here is more evidence of double standard: hollyweird types get all upset if a director wants to cast a white guy in the role of a white guy (to the exclusion of a minority actor). But casting a straight guy in the role of a ghey dude is okay?

:rolleyes:

sooneron
1/17/2006, 12:23 PM
I just don't think Bareback Mountain has a chance to win best picture. It's got too much competition from Walk the Line and Munich, both of which appeal to traditional hollywood types much more than ghey cowboys.

And here is more evidence of double standard: hollyweird types get all upset if a director wants to cast a white guy in the role of a white guy (to the exclusion of a minority actor). But casting a straight guy in the role of a ghey dude is okay?

Vin was booked!:texan:

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 12:31 PM

I'll betcha $20 Munich doesn't get nominated for best picture.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/17/2006, 12:42 PM
Do you know what all the Best Movie nominees at the Golden Globes have in common....that's right, I probably won't ever see any of the intentionally. My Problem is that Hollywood is trying this new angle of cheap is better....like wow this movie only cost 223,000 WOW aren't we brave...ummm no you aren't. Yes some cheaper movies are awesome, but they are also very rare, it usually takes someone having an amazing role that fits that saves them. It doesn't bother me that is a gay film as much as it bugs me that it is apart of Hollywood's "we think more deeply than you hillbillies" grand scheme. Yeah the movie made 32 Million, I would rather enjoy a movie than watch grandstanding :P

Harry Beanbag
1/17/2006, 12:55 PM
Doing decent at the box office. Maybe they should pair up Mighty Joe Young and King Kong in a double Sequel.

Silverback Mountain

So, we've got a couple of cowboys having an adulterous cowboy affair that destroys two families. I hope they're not promoting THIS type of cowboy love as a good thing. When the one dude gets killed by the hubcap at the end, I wonder if they focus on the grief these two men caused or the grief of the surviving adulterer in his flannel nightie?

I mean, look at Godfather, great movie, but not exactly happy. There were consequences to living like they did.

Thanks for not using spoiler tags, a buddy and I were planning on going to see it this afternoon. :mad: :mad: :mad:

sooneron
1/17/2006, 12:56 PM
interesting....
http://althouse.blogspot.com/2005/12/oscar-ads-for-brokeback-mountain.html

Sooner_Bob
1/17/2006, 01:04 PM
A girl in my office went to see it yesterday. She said it wasn't her first choice, but the other chick she was with wanted to go see it because of the awards it won.

She said it was all she could do not to puke through the entire show.

I felt dirty just listening to her talk about it. <shudder>

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 01:05 PM
Do you know what all the Best Movie nominees at the Golden Globes have in common....that's right, I probably won't ever see any of the intentionally. My Problem is that Hollywood is trying this new angle of cheap is better....like wow this movie only cost 223,000 WOW aren't we brave...ummm no you aren't. Yes some cheaper movies are awesome, but they are also very rare, it usually takes someone having an amazing role that fits that saves them. It doesn't bother me that is a gay film as much as it bugs me that it is apart of Hollywood's "we think more deeply than you hillbillies" grand scheme. Yeah the movie made 32 Million, I would rather enjoy a movie than watch grandstanding :P

Yes I too enjoy those big budget powerhouses like Waterworld and Pluto Nash. They rock.

sooneron
1/17/2006, 01:09 PM
Just b/c it's under 20 M doesn't make it cheap. The marketing for that film has been out the wazoo. I bet they spent 15 M easily.

BTW- fewer 'splosions usually means better acting, plot, and character development. But, please, stick to the XXX ilk.

TUSooner
1/17/2006, 01:11 PM
It's Hollyweird telling middle America they need to embrace homosexualiy. Like they gave the euthanasia flick all the awards last year to cram it down our throats....
Basically... yeah.

Harry Beanbag
1/17/2006, 01:15 PM
Basically... yeah.

Ewwww.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/17/2006, 01:18 PM
A big budget doesn't guarentee a good movie either. But let's face it, usually even if a high budget movie sucks, you can go "Wow that is a pretty sweet oil tanker or that was cool when they blew up San Francisco."

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/17/2006, 01:19 PM
I have a question: If it was two hawt chicks instead of two dudes, would you be equally disgusted? I've seen a few comments in here that indicate some of you guys would be all about that.

sooneron
1/17/2006, 01:20 PM
It's Hollyweird telling middle America they need to embrace homosexualiy. Like they gave the euthanasia flick all the awards last year to cram it down our throats.
Coming from an insider, I'm sure all of this is true.

Harry Beanbag
1/17/2006, 01:21 PM
I have a question: If it was two hawt chicks instead of two dudes, would you be equally disgusted? I've seen a few comments in here that indicate some of you guys would be all about that.

There's definitely a double standard, and I'm okay with that. :)

sooneron
1/17/2006, 01:23 PM
Yes. I would be all for it. The fact that it is supposedly very graphic in a few scenes is what is keeping me away. Two guys snugglin in a sleeping back doesn't really bother me. Hell, I'd prolly see it if that were the case. Instead, they wanted to shock a little more. Like I said, I'd prolly see it if it were pg. I've heard that Ledger is really good in it as the quiet unspoken redneck from the typical family values upbringing.

I had no problem with the Crying game even after I knew the premise.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/17/2006, 01:26 PM
Yes. I would be all for it. The fact that it is supposedly very graphic in a few scenes is what is keeping me away. Two guys snugglin in a sleeping back doesn't really bother me. Hell, I'd prolly see it if that were the case. Instead, they wanted to shock a little more. Like I said, I'd prolly see it if it were pg. I've heard that Ledger is really good in it as the quiet unspoken redneck from the typical family values upbringing.

I had no problem with the Crying game even after I knew the premise.So if it were two chicks getting all "graphic" that would be acceptable?

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/17/2006, 01:30 PM
Not to me, they movie just sounds craptacular and Scarlett Johannsen and Salma Hayek could not save it

sooneron
1/17/2006, 01:31 PM
To me, yes. to others, I have no idea. I'm sure AG would be for it.

Mjcpr
1/17/2006, 01:31 PM
So if it were two chicks getting all "graphic" that would be acceptable?

I will answer this truthfully since no one else will.

Yes. It would be acceptable.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/17/2006, 01:33 PM
They basically took a plot from about 50% of movies made...There is two families, they are torn apart because of cheating...I can watch LifeTime anytime I want unless they don't lower their Dish Network demands..then I may have to go watch the move to get my Lifetime quota for the month

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/17/2006, 01:34 PM
You guys can get 2 Girls Gone Wild Video's for the price of this mythical lesbian film ticket....yeah just get the more honest one

royalfan5
1/17/2006, 01:34 PM
From someone who has seen Brokeback Mountain. The Female/male sex scenes are more graphic than the male/male ones. However if you consider two men kissing graphic, I suppose you would be bothered. Personally, I think your average frat keg party has more graphic representations of homosexual sex than Brokeback Mountain does.

sooneron
1/17/2006, 01:37 PM
From someone who has seen Brokeback Mountain. The Female/male sex scenes are more graphic than the male/male ones. However if you consider two men kissing graphic, I suppose you would be bothered. Personally, I think your average frat keg party has more graphic representations of homosexual sex than Brokeback Mountain does.
I had heard differently.

OklahomaTrombone
1/17/2006, 01:49 PM

If it were a pure pr0n movie...no.

If it was Brokeback Chicks...yes.

sooneron
1/17/2006, 02:09 PM
http://www.musicman.com/star/boun.gif

Mmmm, Gina ......

IB4OU2
1/17/2006, 02:15 PM
From someone who has seen Brokeback Mountain. The Female/male sex scenes are more graphic than the male/male ones. However if you consider two men kissing graphic, I suppose you would be bothered. Personally, I think your average husker frat keg party has more graphic representations of homosexual sex than Brokeback Mountain does.

This doesn't surprise me............;)

mrowl
1/17/2006, 02:16 PM

nope, that would be ok.

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 02:30 PM
How many people watched the film just to see the conrtoversy.

I seem to remember all kinds of people buying playboy, when Vanessa Williams posed, that never did before.

I think the numbers are inflated by hollywood hype and controversy

mdklatt
1/17/2006, 02:30 PM
For all the people that claim they don't care what Hollywood thinks there sure is a lot of obsession here over the Golden Globes and Oscars.

NTTAWWT.

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 02:31 PM
For all the people that claim they don't care what Hollywood thinks there sure is a lot of obsession here over the Golden Globes and Oscars.

NTTAWWT.
I rarely see either unless the wife is watching and I have nothing else to do.

Didn't see it this year, but I do have an opinion on the flick and it's hype.

Herr Scholz
1/17/2006, 02:55 PM
I love how when movies that don't fit in with mainstream, red state American values are made, it's apparently the elitist, Hollywood leftists that are trying to stuff their liberal ideology down everyone's throats. It's a movie. If you don't want to see it, don't. Why all the clamoring?

BTW, I know some people that went to see it and said it was a great film.

GDC
1/17/2006, 02:57 PM

Heh.:texan:

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 02:57 PM
You aren't helping that whole "gay/austin" reputation thing.

Herr Scholz
1/17/2006, 03:08 PM
You aren't helping that whole "gay/austin" reputation thing.
You see, those of us who don't hate gay people aren't as hung up about gay things. We can see a movie with homosexual characters and not flip out about it. We can actually weigh the merits of the film. This might be hard for you to swallow.

Mjcpr
1/17/2006, 03:09 PM
You see, those of us who don't hate gay people aren't as hung up about gay things. We can see a movie with homosexual characters and not flip out about it. We can actually weigh the merits of the film. This might be hard for you to swallow.

What are you saying??!!!!

Herr Scholz
1/17/2006, 03:10 PM
What are you saying??!!!!
That was a pun. ;)

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 03:11 PM
I love how when movies that don't fit in with mainstream, red state American values are made, it's apparently the elitist, Hollywood leftists that are trying to stuff their liberal ideology down everyone's throats. It's a movie. If you don't want to see it, don't. Why all the clamoring?

1 Glory Road (Disney drivel part 87)
2 Last Holiday (crap)
3 Hoodwinked (kids movie)
4 The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (fantasy, big budget epic)
5 Hostel (horror)
6 Fun with Dick and Jane (whitebreads making fun of Enron)
7 King Kong (fantasy, big budget epic)
8 Tristan & Isolde (period piece, romance)
9 Brokeback Mountain (gay cowboys)
10 Cheaper By the Dozen II (crap we've seen 834 times before)
11 Munich (historical thriller)
12 Memoirs of a Geisha (period piece)

That's the top 12 movies that people are seeing in America.

How many of those aren't "mainstream" films? 1, maybe 2? People that complain that Hollywood is cramming things down their throats are the same ones who see **** like Cheaper By the Dozen II and Glory Road, even though you've seen the same movie 20 times before. God forbid you broaden your horizons and see if the world drops off flat at the edge of town. :rolleyes:

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 03:13 PM
That 'homophobia' thing gets exagerated. I don't hate or fear them. I disagree with the lifestyle.

For me to 'appreciate' a film, it must have subject matter that is compelling.

Most 'love stories' aren't compelling to me. Now a genre exists that compells me even less.

Herr Scholz
1/17/2006, 03:21 PM
That 'homophobia' thing gets exagerated. I don't hate or fear them. I disagree with the lifestyle.
That's fine. And not saying you're a homophobe. Saying that phobia is definitely out there (and is quite evident in this thread). One could easily argue that the gay marriage amendment debate was the one that put Bush over the top in the 2004 Presidential campaign. It was an issue that crossed racial, socioeconomic and geographic lines.

For me to 'appreciate' a film, it must have subject matter that is compelling.

Most 'love stories' aren't compelling to me. Now a genre exists that compells me even less.
This is a different argument. It's definitely a love story/chick flick.

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 03:21 PM
God forbid you broaden your horizons and see if the world drops off flat at the edge of town. :rolleyes:

Don't get your panties in a wad.

You can watch all the homorodeo you want.

Just don't expect me to be 'compelled' by the storyline.

GDC
1/17/2006, 03:22 PM
2 Last Holiday (crap)
4 The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (fantasy, big budget epic)
5 Hostel (horror)

How many of those aren't "mainstream" films? 1, maybe 2? People that complain that Hollywood is cramming things down their throats are the same ones who see **** like Cheaper By the Dozen II and Glory Road, even though you've seen the same movie 20 times before. God forbid you broaden your horizons and see if the world drops off flat at the edge of town. :rolleyes:

I'm slowing down. All I've seen is Munich and King Long.

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 03:24 PM
King Long?

Is Heath Ledger in that one too?

GDC
1/17/2006, 03:26 PM
dammit

Harry Beanbag
1/17/2006, 03:28 PM
King Long?

Is Heath Ledger in that one too?

No, he's in Fun with Dicks and Johnsons.

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 03:31 PM
Don't get your panties in a wad.

You can watch all the homorodeo you want.

Just don't expect me to be 'compelled' by the storyline.

Yes, you should continue to go see Cheaper by the Dozen II, that's compelling cinema. That asks tough questions. That is insightful and thought provoking.

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 03:34 PM
Yes, you should continue to go see Cheaper by the Dozen II, that's compelling cinema. That asks tough questions. That is insightful and thought provoking.
What makes you think I even saw the first one.

This is the problem with you 'cultured' types. You ASSUME that everyone that disagrees with you is part of the uneducated mob. Get over yourself.

I saw King Kong and enjoyed it. Rip that all you want.

crawfish
1/17/2006, 03:41 PM

Is that with the same guy from "Long Dong Silver"?

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 03:45 PM
What makes you think I even saw the first one.

This is the problem with you 'cultured' types. You ASSUME that everyone that disagrees with you is part of the uneducated mob. Get over yourself.

I saw King Kong and enjoyed it. Rip that all you want.

King Kong was average at best. A bloated mess that shows that the studio is afraid of Peter Jackson's "vision". Needed an editor, better character development and less CG.

SoonerBBall
1/17/2006, 03:47 PM
2 Last Holiday (crap)
5 Hostel (horror)

Broaden my horizons? You label Glory Road (which I am interested in seeing mainly because I enjoy basketball and its history, however Hollywood-ized it may be) as "Disney drivel part 87" while completely ignoring the fact that Brokeback Mountain is merely "affair causes downfall of two families drivel part 87". How exactly is seeing a slightly different take on an affair as broadening my horizons? In fact, of all of the movies you list, I would say Hostel has the best chance of broadening the general publics horizons, cinematically speaking. It brings horror back to its roots with less comedy, more gore, and a distinctly japanese take on the genre. Brokeback mountain may be a good movie, but don't act like it is groundbreaking in any way. There have been movies about gay people and movies about cowboys, it was only a matter of time before someone got the bright idea to combine them. It just so happens that in this case it makes for hilarious comedic material. In essence, take your high-brow, holier-than-thou attitude and shove it.

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 03:47 PM
King Kong was average at best. A bloated mess that shows that the studio is afraid of Peter Jackson's "vision". Needed an editor, better character development and less CG.
I rocked though.......RIGHT?!!!!!!:D

crawfish
1/17/2006, 03:52 PM
I rocked though.......RIGHT?!!!!!!:D

If you asked me, it needed a little LESS character development...however it DID rock.

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 03:55 PM
Broaden my horizons? You label Glory Road (which I am interested in seeing mainly because I enjoy basketball and its history, however Hollywood-ized it may be) as "Disney drivel part 87" while completely ignoring the fact that Brokeback Mountain is merely "affair causes downfall of two families drivel part 87". How exactly is seeing a slightly different take on an affair as broadening my horizons? In fact, of all of the movies you list, I would say Hostel has the best chance of broadening the general publics horizons, cinematically speaking. It brings horror back to its roots with less comedy, more gore, and a distinctly japanese take on the genre. Brokeback mountain may be a good movie, but don't act like it is groundbreaking in any way. There have been movies about gay people and movies about cowboys, it was only a matter of time before someone got the bright idea to combine them. It just so happens that in this case it makes for hilarious comedic material. In essence, take your high-brow, holier-than-thou attitude and shove it.

Go rent Miracle, or The Mighty Ducks or Remember the Titans and pretend they're playing basketball, it'll save you some cake.

Name me 2 movies that emulate what is accomplished in Brokeback.

p.s. - Guess who wins in Glory Road?

p.p.s. - I'd be in for Hostel, but you think I'm an ***, so nevermind.

SoonerBBall
1/17/2006, 04:08 PM
Go rent Miracle, or The Mighty Ducks or Remember the Titans and pretend they're playing basketball, it'll save you some cake.

Name me 2 movies that emulate what is accomplished in Brokeback.

p.s. - Guess who wins in Glory Road?

p.p.s. - I'd be in for Hostel, but you think I'm an ***, so nevermind.

What is accomplished in Brokeback?? Seriously. Two families are torn assunder. Is it any more or less tragic because the affair was homosexual as opposed to heterosexual/incestual/etc. ?

p.s. - Knowing who wins in Glory Road is not the point of seeing the movie. I know who wins. I want to see what it takes to get there. That is uplifiting, motivational, and funny. Remember the Titans, Mighty Ducks, Miracle, it doesn't matter. It is a formula that I like and will continue to see. Why does that make it less worthy than Brokeback?

p.p.s. - Yeah, I was an jerk to you in the last post. Sorry about that. I can get that way when I talk about things that I like, but it is hard to deal with when you are putting down other peoples movie choices simply because you don't think they are cultured or sophisticated. I bet we'd have some pretty good movie arguments, and I'm more than willing to go see Hostel with you anytime. It is fun seeing movies with asses. :D

crawfish
1/17/2006, 04:12 PM
Sorry, but Glory Road is a story that deserves to be told. It's a remarkable, pivotal event in the history of sports and race relations.

I should point out I have no idea if the movie is any good or not.

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 04:20 PM
What is accomplished in Brokeback?? Seriously. Two families are torn assunder. Is it any more or less tragic because the affair was homosexual as opposed to heterosexual/incestual/etc. ?

p.s. - Knowing who wins in Glory Road is not the point of seeing the movie. I know who wins. I want to see what it takes to get there. That is uplifiting, motivational, and funny. Remember the Titans, Mighty Ducks, Miracle, it doesn't matter. It is a formula that I like and will continue to see. Why does that make it less worthy than Brokeback?

p.p.s. - Yeah, I was an jerk to you in the last post. Sorry about that. I can get that way when I talk about things that I like, but it is hard to deal with when you are putting down other peoples movie choices simply because you don't think they are cultured or sophisticated. I bet we'd have some pretty good movie arguments, and I'm more than willing to go see Hostel with you anytime. It is fun seeing movies with asses. :D

I've picked my fair share of bad movies over the years, no doubt. I'm not gonna say I haven't. But I've really tried to refine my choices as I get older (and time to see movies becomes more precious) and see movies that are well done and/or thought provoking. I think Brokeback Mountain is one of those movies because although when you boil it down it's about two people whose affair leads to the demise of two families (which has been done I agree boatloads of times) its done so from a point of view that we haven't seen yet, that of two gay cowboys in Wyoming in the 60's. What makes the film different isn't what they're going through but why. How society looked (or how they perceived society looked) at them. The internal demons they were forced to deal with as well as the stigma associated with homosexuality at the time. I certainly haven't seen that done before.

I put down movies like Cheaper by the Dozen II for the same reason I won't shop at Wal-Mart, I think we as humans can do better. Does that make me some sort of pretentious jerk? Maybe. I'm just of the opinion we should challenge ourselves from time to time, that we should push the boundaries of what is "comfortable" and easy to us.

p.s. - I also watched "Roadhouse" on TV last night. For about an hour. Because I saw boobies. :O

Herr Scholz
1/17/2006, 04:21 PM
Sorry, but Glory Road is a story that deserves to be told. It's a remarkable, pivotal event in the history of sports and race relations.
Sadly, many current African American professional athletes don't even know the story. I think it's definitely a movie that should have been made. Haskins apparently has a cameo in the movie - a gas station attendant I think.

mdklatt
1/17/2006, 04:25 PM
Sadly, many current African American professional athletes don't even know the story. I think it's definitely a movie that should have been made. Haskins apparently has a cameo in the movie - a gas station attendant I think.

I originally thought it was about the first team with any black players to win the tournament, or at least the first all-black team, but apparently it's about the first team with all black starters to win?

Harry Beanbag
1/17/2006, 04:28 PM
I've picked my fair share of bad movies over the years, no doubt. I'm not gonna say I haven't. But I've really tried to refine my choices as I get older (and time to see movies becomes more precious) and see movies that are well done and/or thought provoking. I think Brokeback Mountain is one of those movies because although when you boil it down it's about two people whose affair leads to the demise of two families (which has been done I agree boatloads of times) its done so from a point of view that we haven't seen yet, that of two gay cowboys in Wyoming in the 60's. What makes the film different isn't what they're going through but why. How society looked (or how they perceived society looked) at them. The internal demons they were forced to deal with as well as the stigma associated with homosexuality at the time. I certainly haven't seen that done before.

I put down movies like Cheaper by the Dozen II for the same reason I won't shop at Wal-Mart, I think we as humans can do better. Does that make me some sort of pretentious jerk? Maybe. I'm just of the opinion we should challenge ourselves from time to time, that we should push the boundaries of what is "comfortable" and easy to us.

p.s. - I also watched "Roadhouse" on TV last night. For about an hour. Because I saw boobies. :O

If you think it's a complelling story, then by all means go see it. But don't make the mistake of thinking that anybody who isn't as interested in it as you is just a knuckle dragging neanderthal.

I'm far from being homophobic, I've been around it quite a bit (it even existed in Clinton's don't ask don't tell Navy), but dudes kissing and fondling each other is still a disturbing visual that turns my stomach. I don't think any less of myself for not running out and spending $10 to watch it on the big screen.

By the way, Roadhouse kicks ***. :)

skycat
1/17/2006, 04:31 PM
I originally thought it was about the first team with any black players to win the tournament, or at least the first all-black team, but apparently it's about the first team with all black starters to win?

Yep. Wilt won a title at ku long before these guys did, and I don't think he was the first (But I don't know for sure who was).

SoonerBorn68
1/17/2006, 04:41 PM
God forbid you broaden your horizons and see if the world drops off flat at the edge of town.

We go see movies as a family so I guess the world does flatten out at Robinson St. At 37, I'm old enough to make my own decisions. I don't care for the movie's premise or plot, so I won't be spending any money supporting it. I'm not saying the shouldn't have made it but the trailer to the movie is very deceptive. I watched it the other night & it showed cowboys getting married, cowboys having relationships with women, but no gay cowboy kissing. Hmmm, think they were setting some people up for a shock?

And to answer SBSB's question: No, I wouldn't see a movie about gay cowboy chicks bumpin' uglies on a mountain top. All of it makes me cringe. Gimme straight pron any day.

Jimminy Crimson
1/17/2006, 04:55 PM
However if you consider two men kissing graphic, I suppose you would be bothered.

You're telling me that they kiss? That's effing disgusting. :vomit:

It's one thing if they hint to the fact that there might be a little freelance man on man proctology going on, but two dudes kissing is absolutely horrid! WTF!

Herr Scholz
1/17/2006, 05:11 PM
The story's even more compelling because they beat the all-white juggernaut of the South in Kentucky coached by Rupp (with Pat Reilly on the team). And had to go through really bad racism to do it.

SoonerBBall
1/17/2006, 05:18 PM
Well said. If that was the tagline for the movie, maybe I would have been more interested in seeing it. Your description is certainly more thought-provoking than some stupid ads of Heath and Jake being gay.

I put down movies like Cheaper by the Dozen II for the same reason I won't shop at Wal-Mart, I think we as humans can do better. Does that make me some sort of pretentious jerk?
When you are talking to a grad student who can't afford to shop anywhere besides Wal-Mart, then yes, kind of. :D Seriously though, I didn't see Cheaper by the Dozen and I won't see the second one if I can help it (girls like stupid movies for dates, but if it is a date movie, hopefully I won't be "watching" it). That doesn't mean the people who like it should be ridiculed...much. Taste in movies is like taste in books. I don't enjoy classic novels by Jane Austen or poems by Walt Whitman, so does that make me uncultured swine? I'd like to think that just means that I prefer subjects that excite me as opposed to wading through iambic pentameter.

Maybe. I'm just of the opinion we should challenge ourselves from time to time, that we should push the boundaries of what is "comfortable" and easy to us.
I agree with this, but does it have to be in referrence to movies? Movies are entertainment first and foremost. Sure, they can be art too, but when all is said and done, a boring movie is a movie I'll never watch again. Take, for instance, Munich. It was intriguing and exciting in parts, but in the end suffers from major lag in between the action and truly awful ending. I'll never see Munich again. Period. Sure there were some good parts, but the convoluted message Spielberg was trying to get across was lost because the movie difficult to get though.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. You think the guys on this board watch Bound because Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly have charming, witty dialogue? ;)

Jimminy Crimson
1/17/2006, 05:25 PM
You think the guys on this board watch Bound because Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly have charming, witty dialogue? ;)

Dialogue? ;)

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 05:29 PM
When you are talking to a grad student who can't afford to shop anywhere besides Wal-Mart, then yes, kind of. :D Seriously though, I didn't see Cheaper by the Dozen and I won't see the second one if I can help it (girls like stupid movies for dates, but if it is a date movie, hopefully I won't be "watching" it). That doesn't mean the people who like it should be ridiculed...much. Taste in movies is like taste in books. I don't enjoy classic novels by Jane Austen or poems by Walt Whitman, so does that make me uncultured swine? I'd like to think that just means that I prefer subjects that excite me as opposed to wading through iambic pentameter.

I too was a poor college student at OU. I remember thinking ooh goodie I've got two cans of vegetable soup and 11.42 in my checking account, I'm gonna stand on the corner and laugh at the bank. So, my bad on the Wal-Mart comment.

And if you go see CBTD to get in some britches, more power to you.

SoonerBBall
1/17/2006, 05:30 PM
Dialogue? ;)
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dialogue :P

SoonerWood
1/17/2006, 05:48 PM
Speaking of golden globes - this thread needs more pics

KC//CRIMSON
1/17/2006, 05:56 PM
This thread reminds me of this thread: http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24878&highlight=nicole+kidman

people freak out over the dumbest things....:rolleyes:

Sooner_Bob
1/17/2006, 06:02 PM
2 Last Holiday (crap)
5 Hostel (horror)

If broadening my horizons entails watching a flick about gay cowboys I think I'll find another way to do so.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/17/2006, 06:07 PM
Lifetime is JohnnyMack's favorite channel, because they have more depth ;)

Sooner_Bob
1/17/2006, 06:09 PM

My wife is pretty hacked that it's not back on Dishnetwork yet . . . me, not so much. :D

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 06:17 PM

My woman was watching some Lifetime bull**** movie of the week about why men are scum this weekend, I watched Indy. get it put to them instead.

GDC
1/17/2006, 10:08 PM
Note to mods: Herr is discussing a Texas-oriented topic in this thread, on a Tuesday. TIA.

Okla-homey
1/17/2006, 10:28 PM
All I know for sure about all this are two things. If "BM" beats "Walk the Line" for "Best Picture" at this year's AMPAS awards it will be because the fix was in. If Heath Ledger steals Joaquin Phoenix's "Oscar" for "Best Actor" it too will be because the fix was in.

BM is not even in the same league with WTL. Not box office, not sheer acting talent on display, not screenwriting and not directing. Its like comparing a flippin' daytime soap opera episode to "Dr Zhivago" for crying out loud.

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 11:05 PM
All I know for sure about all this are two things. If "BM" beats "Walk the Line" for "Best Picture" at this year's AMPAS awards it will be because the fix was in. If Heath Ledger steals Joaquin Phoenix's "Oscar" for "Best Actor" it too will be because the fix was in.

BM is not even in the same league with WTL. Not box office, not sheer acting talent on display, not screenwriting and not directing. Its like comparing a flippin' daytime soap opera episode to "Dr Zhivago" for crying out loud.

Joaquin pwns Heath (Hoffman may win it and make this argument invalid anyways).

I still think BM is a better overall film than WTL.

So you've seen BM?

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 11:15 PM
Textbook for this semester.
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=1-020538692x-0

Okla-homey
1/17/2006, 11:17 PM
Joaquin pwns Heath (Hoffman may win it and make this argument invalid anyways).

I still think BM is a better overall film than WTL.

So you've seen BM?

I refuse to answer as is my right under the fifth amendment of the US Constitution.

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 11:19 PM
I refuse to answer as is my right under the fifth amendment of the US Constitution.

You did!!!!!!!!!

And see, you're not gay!!!!!!!

It didn't magically turn you gay!!!!!!!!!

It was a pretty good flick wasn't it? I mean JP does totally pwn HL in the best actor department, but the movie itself is very well made.

I mean, if you had seen it......which of course you haven't.......seen.......it.

usmc-sooner
1/17/2006, 11:27 PM
My woman was watching some Lifetime bull**** movie of the week about why men are scum this weekend,

it's because she has a man who enjoys gay cowboy movies
:D

Okla-homey
1/17/2006, 11:30 PM
You did!!!!!!!!!

And see, you're not gay!!!!!!!

It didn't magically turn you gay!!!!!!!!!

It was a pretty good flick wasn't it? I mean JP does totally pwn HL in the best actor department, but the movie itself is very well made.

I mean, if you had seen it......which of course you haven't.......seen.......it.

I'll say one dang thing. Its defintely not a 'romance' movie like its being hyped. Its about two pathetic wierd-o's who have a warped, lustful obsession for each other. Its not even like either are willing to commit to each other...which is pretty par for the course among under 30 homers from what I understand. They both marry women, and thankfully the bed scenes with the chix are more explicit than the manlove stuff...except for the pup tent part. WTF?

Anyway, it was waaay too long and I still contend its not half the flick WTL or even Narnia is. Of course Narnia will only be competitive for technical awards because it simply wouldn't do to let a C.S. Lewis story beat a movie that purports to place gheyness on an equal plane with straightness.

RacerX
1/18/2006, 07:21 AM
Beano and his spoilers.

Like I'm ever going to watch it.

handcrafted
1/18/2006, 07:30 AM
I don't choose not to see it because it might "turn me ghey". Nothing could do that.

I choose not to see it because I don't want to contribute my hard earned cash to the hollyweird propaganda engine and help them spread their hedonistic kool-aid.

And because it's just, well, you know, gross, and I am careful about what I put in front of my eyes.

And because I go to movies for entertainment, to enjoy myself for a little while, and seeing two dudes who are so self-centered they'd rather bone each other than take care of their families, thus causing said families to be destroyed and doing who knows what psychological and spiritual damage to their wives and children...all the time not giving a rip...isn't my idea of entertainment.

crawfish
1/18/2006, 08:39 AM
I'm not gonna see Hostel because I'm disturbed by acts of outright cruelty and torture...and I'm not gonna see BM (heh) because I'm disturbed by two guys slogging each other.

I refuse to have my mind opened to the point my brains spill out on the floor. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/18/2006, 11:24 AM
I don't choose not to see it because it might "turn me ghey". Nothing could do that.

I choose not to see it because I don't want to contribute my hard earned cash to the hollyweird propaganda engine and help them spread their hedonistic kool-aid.

And because it's just, well, you know, gross, and I am careful about what I put in front of my eyes.

And because I go to movies for entertainment, to enjoy myself for a little while, and seeing two dudes who are so self-centered they'd rather bone each other than take care of their families, thus causing said families to be destroyed and doing who knows what psychological and spiritual damage to their wives and children...all the time not giving a rip...isn't my idea of entertainment.Nuff-said!

JohnnyMack
1/18/2006, 11:41 AM

Funny, that's the same reason I didn't see The Passion of the Christ.

picasso
1/18/2006, 11:51 AM
I don't have a problem with the gay cowboy love flick.
I think the problem most of the uncouth inbred redneck gay hating hillbillies have is how much the movie is being hyped and put on an epic type pedestal.
you guys can spin it however you want but most people just don't want to see gay love on film.
and the Mel Gibson movie comparison isn't much of an argument. Nearly all of the press I recall seeing when that film came out was mostly about it's controversy. not it's aesthetic quality.

as for Jennifer Tilly, she was staying in a hotel near my booth in Santa Fe during Indian Market back in August. I saw her every day. Not too shabby for a squeaky voiced freak.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/18/2006, 11:52 AM
Now Now, LAS said it best....Hollywood is all about putting money in their pockets. If they thought they could make us watch a movie of a guy bravely eating his own turds, I guarentee you they would make "Why is Gilbert Grape eating Turds?" They knew they could make some bank off the Passion and they knew they could make a little bank on a gay cowboy flick. I will watch Brokeback Mountain eventually, it is just not on the list of movies I would pay to see. Yes, That has screwed me out of some good movies but I live by the rules kind of like the Transporter. Hellboy was one of those movies I refused to watch it before the dollar theatre. It ended up being one of my favorite movies and I really don't know why, maybe because I wasn't expecting much and Brokeback Mountain has that in its favor ;)

sanantoniosooner
1/18/2006, 11:53 AM
DONE DEAL.

You get homos.

I get Jesus.

I feel like a bandit...............

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 12:00 PM
I think the problem most of the uncouth inbred redneck gay hating hillbillies have is how much the movie is being hyped and put on an epic type pedestal.

The only people doing this are the gay commie liberal queer fags in Hollywood and the gay commie liberal queer fags in the media so why do the uncouth inbred redneck gay-hating hillbillies give two ****s about it at all? How many uncouth inbred redneck gay-hating hillbillies are hosting Golden Globe and Oscar watch parties?

skycat
1/18/2006, 12:00 PM

What kind of bandit?:mack:

picasso
1/18/2006, 12:04 PM
The only people doing this are the gay commie liberal queer fags in Hollywood and the gay commie liberal queer fags in the media so why do the uncouth inbred redneck gay-hating hillbillies give two ****s about it at all? How many uncouth inbred redneck gay-hating hillbillies are hosting Golden Globe and Oscar watch parties?
dude, it's everywhere on tv and the radio right now. you can't get away from it unless you just watch Spike TV.:D

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/18/2006, 12:08 PM
if there is a UFC and TNA marathon, then all I do watch is Spike ;)

JohnnyMack
1/18/2006, 12:22 PM
DONE DEAL.

You get homos.

I get Jesus.

Actually I'll pass on all 3, thanks.

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 12:35 PM
dude, it's everywhere on tv and the radio right now.

I still say, "So what?" If you think the movie sucks or is offensive or whatever, don't watch it. Why do you need validation of your opinion from the media, or--even more ironically--Hollywood itself?

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/18/2006, 12:38 PM
I only watch I love Lucy...that bitch is hilarious ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/18/2006, 12:39 PM
wow the b word isn't censored...awesome :P

picasso
1/18/2006, 12:42 PM
I still say, "So what?" If you think the movie sucks or is offensive or whatever, don't watch it. Why do you need validation of your opinion from the media, or--even more ironically--Hollywood itself?
I don't personally.

well, I'm off to watch What Not To Wear.

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 12:59 PM
Golden Globe winners spark righteous anger (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1990992,00.html)

Christian groups led a furious campaign against Hollywood yesterday, accusing the Golden Globe Awards of promoting films with gay or “leftist” themes to serve a political agenda.

Heaven forbid anybody but Christian groups have a political agenda. And I don't know about you, but I always let works of fiction influence my voting. :rolleyes:

“Once again, the media elites are proving that their pet projects are more important than profit,” Janice Crouse, of Concerned Women for America, said. “None of the three movies — Capote, Transamerica or Brokeback Mountain — is a box office hit. Brokeback Mountain has barely topped $25 million in ticket sales. If America isn’t watching these films, why are they winning the awards?”

Since when have box office numbers had dick to do with awards?

A whole lot of people who claim they don't care what Hollywood thinks sure care a lot about what Hollywood thinks. I think righteous outrage has replaced the South Beach Diet as the newest American fitness craze, because a lot of calories are being expended by people going the extra mile to be offended.

Harry Beanbag
1/18/2006, 01:00 PM

Heh.

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 01:03 PM
Heh.

Maybe I should **** that out?

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/18/2006, 01:03 PM
I do feel sorry for us Christians....it is difficult being in charge for the last 1400 years

Harry Beanbag
1/18/2006, 01:04 PM
Maybe I should **** that out?

Nah, I thought it was genius. :)

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 01:05 PM
Nah, I thought it was genius. :)

Even more genius than you think--I didn't realize how genius it was until after you said so. :D

handcrafted
1/18/2006, 01:06 PM

Not only is your post not funny, it's totally ignorant. Do you even know what "hedonistic" means? If you did, you'd know it's the opposite of spirituality. Also, to call "The Passion" Hollywood propaganda is nothing short of insane. You are either intentionally trying to make yourself look silly, or you don't get out much.

Now, if you had just said "I didn't see The Passion because I don't like gory violence", then *that* I could accept. My father didn't see it for the same reason.

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 01:10 PM
Now, if you had just said "I didn't see The Passion because I don't like gory violence", then *that* I could accept.

Is "because it didn't have any boobs" okay too?

Harry Beanbag
1/18/2006, 01:12 PM
Is "because it has too many man-boobs" okay too?

Yes, because that's why I won't go see Brokeback Mountain. :)

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 01:15 PM
Yes, because that's why I won't go see Brokeback Mountain. :)

Most cowboys don't have mitties.

handcrafted
1/18/2006, 01:16 PM
Golden Globe winners spark righteous anger (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1990992,00.html)

Heaven forbid anybody but Christian groups have a political agenda. And I don't know about you, but I always let works of fiction influence my voting. :rolleyes:

A whole lot of people who claim they don't care what Hollywood thinks sure care a lot about what Hollywood thinks. I think righteous outrage has replaced the South Beach Diet as the newest American fitness craze, because a lot of calories are being expended by people going the extra mile to be offended.

Hey, I couldn't give a rat's rear end what hollyweird thinks. I was just posting why I'm not seeing the film. I exercise my choice not to patronize them with my business. The American movie industry can do what it wants. But make no mistake, it *is* trying to promote an agenda. Lord knows why, though. They could just stick to oh, say, making entertaining movies.

Hollyweird doesn't have a monopoly on propaganda, to be sure. Pat Robertson is one of the biggest propagandizers out there. Sometimes I wish he'd just shut up and quit giving the church bad press.

handcrafted
1/18/2006, 01:17 PM
Is "because it didn't have any boobs" okay too?

handcrafted
1/18/2006, 01:23 PM
There's another subtext to all this, and that is that this has been one of the worst years in recent history for box office profits. Theater attendance and revenues are off around 5%, after having declined each of the last 3 years. One would think that the movie studios would take note that, just perhaps, they've lost touch with their viewing public.

GDC
1/18/2006, 01:23 PM
Dudes getting it on just aint natural, except in Austin, and I and about 95% of American males don't want to watch it, or even think about it. Therefore count me out, no matter how well acted, written, or photographed it is.

handcrafted
1/18/2006, 01:28 PM
Austin = whorns = cowboy = Village People

coincidence? I think not.

JohnnyMack
1/18/2006, 01:34 PM
Not only is your post not funny, it's totally ignorant. Do you even know what "hedonistic" means? If you did, you'd know it's the opposite of spirituality. Also, to call "The Passion" Hollywood propaganda is nothing short of insane. You are either intentionally trying to make yourself look silly, or you don't get out much.

Now, if you had just said "I didn't see The Passion because I don't like gory violence", then *that* I could accept. My father didn't see it for the same reason.

Me, act like an ***? Here on the SO? Never. :rolleyes:

I know it's rather epicurian of me to take pot shots at the literal types around here who get their right wing panties in a twist any time any negative association is made towards their mythic deity, but what can I say? It's kinda fun.

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 02:16 PM
There's another subtext to all this, and that is that this has been one of the worst years in recent history for box office profits. Theater attendance and revenues are off around 5%, after having declined each of the last 3 years. One would think that the movie studios would take note that, just perhaps, they've lost touch with their viewing public.

Hollywood doesn't care about box office numbers; they're a small percentage of total revenue. Theater releases are loss leaders to get people to buy the DVD.

http://www.slate.com/id/2118819/

PeoriaSooner
1/18/2006, 03:05 PM
Not to me, they movie just sounds craptacular and Scarlett Johannsen and Salma Hayek could not save it

With all due respect, Gandalf, Scarlett and Salma could save amy movie. Just thinking of them in "Howard the Duck" or "Leonard Part 6" makes me want to go to Blockbuster.

Fugue
1/18/2006, 03:10 PM
With all due respect, Gandalf, Scarlett and Salma could save amy movie. Just thinking of them in "Howard the Duck" or "Leonard Part 6" makes me want to go to Blockbuster.

hey, not all of us swing both ways. :texan:

soonerscuba
1/18/2006, 03:11 PM
The American movie industry can do what it wants. But make no mistake, it *is* trying to promote an agenda. Lord knows why, though. They could just stick to oh, say, making entertaining movies.

When I walked into the gym this morning some guy gave me a tract about Jesus, which doesn't bother me, believe it or not I've heard of the fellow. If some guy stood outside of your office handing out tracts about how gays on average are smarter and make more money, you would freak.

So what I am saying is that everybody is always trying to get you to buy into their ****... your religion included, and to a much greater degree than the fags. So GADOCADWI.

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 03:14 PM
Yeah, but Christians don't propogate your children being taught in school that fudge packing is acceptable alternative behavior.

soonerscuba
1/18/2006, 03:16 PM
gay Christians might.

GDC
1/18/2006, 03:18 PM
Beano, can we have "No Brokeback Mountain Threads Wednesdays"?

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/18/2006, 03:20 PM
And "No BSG Thursday" That way she will come back to **** us off!

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 03:20 PM
Yeah, but Christians don't propogate your children being taught in school that fudge packing is acceptable alternative behavior.

Why isn't it? What does it matter to you?

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 03:22 PM
gay Christians might.Yeah but their coalition is a bit too small and timid to affect change.

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 03:26 PM
Why isn't it? What does it matter to you?Because I'm a Homophobic Anti-Fudgepacker Parent (HAFP) who doesn't approve of what to me is a deplorable sickness and don't want my kids being bombarded with rhetoric from those who do -on my tax dollar, no less.

soonerscuba
1/18/2006, 03:27 PM

not to get to technical (I hope at least one of one you gets this pun) but fudge packing isn't limited to gays.

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 03:29 PM
Do tell...

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 03:31 PM
Because [I don't] approve of what to me is a deplorable sickness and don't want my kids being bombarded with rhetoric from those who do -on my tax dollar, no less.

Some people feel the same way about religion.

You can't shelter your kids forever. Sooner or later they're going to figure out that some dudes dig other dudes. Homosexuality isn't being taught as a how-to class, but at the same time educators have stopped going "la la la la la" about it.

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 03:32 PM
Well, at least we can agree Texas sucks.

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 03:33 PM
Well, at least we can agree Texas sucks.

The school or the state?

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 03:36 PM
Which do you hate and I will agree.

JohnnyMack
1/18/2006, 03:37 PM
Because I'm a Homophobic Anti-Fudgepacker Parent (HAFP) who doesn't approve of what to me is a deplorable sickness and don't want my kids being bombarded with rhetoric from those who do -on my tax dollar, no less.

Where is that happening?

soonerscuba
1/18/2006, 03:38 PM
http://www.technicalvirgin.com/ (NSFW)

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 03:40 PM
Which do you hate and I will agree.

Heh. :D

Just UT.

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 03:41 PM
Where is that happening?

The same school where you can get expelled for joining FCA.

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 03:44 PM
Here's the first link I found.
There was like, a bunch.

http://www.narth.com/menus/schools.html

just Google "homosexuality taught in schools"

soonerscuba
1/18/2006, 03:56 PM
Here's the first link I found.
There was like, a bunch.

http://www.narth.com/menus/schools.html

just Google "homosexuality taught in schools"

You didn't actually read any of those articles did you?

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 03:59 PM
Guilty as charged.

Did you Google the phrase that pays?

Harry Beanbag
1/18/2006, 04:00 PM
not to get to technical (I hope at least one of one you gets this pun) but fudge packing isn't limited to gays.

There's no doubt about that. :)

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 04:04 PM
http://www.narth.com/docs/details.html

Part of NARTH's response to an article about gay teens in Time:

Two well designed major studies of young people with same sex attractions published in the Archives of General Psychiatry revealed they were over 6 times as likely to have attempted suicide, 4 times as likely as their peers to suffer major depression, almost three times as likely to suffer generalized anxiety disorder, nearly 4 times as likely to experience conduct disorder, 5 times as likely to have nicotine dependence, 6 times as likely to suffer multiple disorders.

Gee, do you think this might have a something to do with the fact they're constantly told they're defective and are going to burn in hell, NARTH?

soonerscuba
1/18/2006, 04:05 PM
Guilty as charged.

Did you Google the phrase that pays?

I did. I can see how between the fundamentalist Christians, conspiracyworld.com and Bill O'Reilly one would have to take your argument very seriously.

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 04:06 PM
And then there's folks like this:

http://www.inqueery.com/

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 04:09 PM
I did. I can see how between the fundamentalist Christians, conspiracyworld.com and Bill O'Reilly one would have to take your argument very seriously.

I browsed through a lot of results. I didn't see any specific examples of what is being taught in schools, but a lot of poll results regarding what might be taught in general terms.

soonerscuba
1/18/2006, 04:09 PM
I fully agree that we should spend time pursuing the option of ex-gay lifestyle training to those that approach their guidance counselors at school. That sounds like a huge group of people.

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 04:11 PM
Don't even get me started about Harry Potter.

silverwheels
1/18/2006, 04:15 PM

I'm a little behind the times, but I picked up all of the HP books on paperback (the ones that are available on paperback) recently and have been breezing through them. Really engaging reads.

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 04:16 PM
And then there's folks like this:

http://www.inqueery.com/

I think the whole ex-gay thing is bunk. People may experiment, but I think we're born on side of the fence or the other. Or perhaps straddling the fence. How can sexuality be a choice? Why the hell would you choose to be gay--who needs that hassle? Ex-gays either weren't really gay in the first place, or they fantasize about the pool boy while boning their wives.

skycat
1/18/2006, 05:01 PM
Whaa?
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005NEBW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg