PDA

View Full Version : Hey Homey, SERE school

1stTimeCaller
1/16/2006, 03:17 PM
I think that's what it's called. My cousin's husband is in Washington State somewhere doing the Survival and resistance school being as he's a pilot in the USAF.

How much did that school suck?

afs
1/16/2006, 03:19 PM
SV-80? He's having a good time. :D

Desert Sapper
1/16/2006, 03:23 PM
Survive
Evade
Resist
Escape

It is a total suck school. I'm pretty sure the AF version sucks at least as much as the army version.

Talking little to no food, lots of hiding, and when they catch you, they can (literally) beat the snot out of you. The POW portion of the training is just not cool at all.

1stTimeCaller
1/16/2006, 03:25 PM
apparently they have gone to a no closed fists policy so my cousin thinks her husband will be OK. I got chuckle from that.

critical_phil
1/16/2006, 03:50 PM
SERE didn't suck as much as the 22 weeks before it or the 46 weeks after it.

1stTimeCaller
1/16/2006, 03:53 PM
c_p, I'm guessing you didn't like being in the service?

critical_phil
1/16/2006, 04:01 PM
c_p, I'm guessing you didn't like being in the service?

i wouldn't do it again, but i also wouldn't say that i didn't like it. in my case, i had no idea what i was getting myself into.

one day, i'm fraternizing with the split tails in orlando .... take the navy dive physical (cause i heard you got 1/2 day out of boot if you took it) ... next thing you know, i'm helping marines carry a railroad tie up a hill.......

it all worked out well. i advanced to E-6 in 5 1/2 years and ended up getting a nice early out.

Okla-homey
1/16/2006, 04:14 PM
I think that's what it's called. My cousin's husband is in Washington State somewhere doing the Survival and resistance school being as he's a pilot in the USAF.

How much did that school suck?

It sucked. I went at this time of year too. I had never even seen snowshoes, except on the wall at an Applebee's or some similar place, and I ended up wearing them for a week in arse-deep snow...and not those nice high-tech "bearclaw" kind the instructor wore. These were wooden with gut mesh like from some "Mountie" movie. You had to spend about an hour each night after you finally stopped moving to maintain them.

It was about map reading, land nav, and being stealthy. If they caught you during the day, they punished you.

The classroom part was at Fairchild AFB in Spokane. The field part was in Cour D'Lene (sp?) Idaho on some vast Forest Service property. It succed majorly.

Suckiest was the "getting over food aversions" part. They gave each small group a bunny in the beginning. We had to carry that bunny with us and take care of it. Three days later after no food, they made us kill it with our bare hands and eat it. They made me eat a bunny eyeball. Those things are very hard, like marbles. When you eventually bite thru it, this salty goo spills out into your mouth. blech.

After all that shiite, it was POW camp time. You got captured and mistreated for a couple days. The worst part (for me) was being stuffed into a 3'x3' plywood box for a couple hours (I'm clausterphobic). They also had "cemetery confinement" where they lowered you by your shoulders into a 5' deep hole in the ground that was only wide enough for you to slip into thus leaving only your shoulders, neck and head above ground. Then they poured water on you at intervals. That really succed.

It was all good, you learned you can put up with a lot of mistreatment and not spill the beans. They also taught us to give BS answers the interrogators would accept. I can't tell you anymore about it because they made us sign a non-disclosure agreement. Seriously.

critical_phil
1/16/2006, 04:17 PM
i guess i went through the p*ssy SERE school.

we all got our very own bunny............ i forgot about that. organs first! ALL of them....

Pieces Hit
1/16/2006, 04:21 PM
That's nothin.

One time I waited 10 minutes in line at the McDonald's drive thru and when I finally got to the window they didn't have my order ready so I had to pull up and wait some more.

Man, that sucked.

Howzit
1/16/2006, 04:25 PM
We were out of beer this weekend and I had to go to the store to get more. Even though my wife had just been to the store. When I asked her why she didn't get any beer, she said, "Did you put it on the list?"

I said, "Beer is like bananas."

The end.

fadada1
1/16/2006, 04:29 PM
i take the navy dive physical (cause i heard you got 1/2 day out of boot if you took it) ... next thing you know, i'm helping marines carry a railroad tie up a hill.......

when i got to A school, we used to practice the dive test they were thinking of going to. out of about 15 of us that were being worked out each morning in preparation for our future fun little school, only 2 of us could pass it. coincidentally, we were both competitive swimmers - that helped tremendously.

Okla-homey
1/16/2006, 04:29 PM
We were out of beer this weekend and I had to go to the store to get more. Even though my wife had just been to the store. When I asked her why she didn't get any beer, she said, "Did you put it on the list?"

The end.

I know you're kidding with your analogy to the above manly and character-building experience. That is why I shan't dope slap you the next time I see you.;)

fadada1
1/16/2006, 04:30 PM
P.S. rang out in week 4 - regret it every day.

Okla-homey
1/16/2006, 04:31 PM
I forgot to say one of the things I learned at the USAF Survival School is it is possible for a healthy human to go an entire week without taking a dump.

1stTimeCaller
1/16/2006, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't mess with Howzit.

Last tailgate he put Bruce in a 3'x3' pine box and left him in there until the game was over.

Jus sayin'

critical_phil
1/16/2006, 04:33 PM
bruce finished SERE school in 27 minutes.........

Howzit
1/16/2006, 04:34 PM
.....and then knocked down the Berlin Wall.

1stTimeCaller
1/16/2006, 04:35 PM
and then left to play golf with the base commander

critical_phil
.....and then knocked down the Berlon Wall.

which divided East and West Berlon

Howzit
GIVE ME A FREAKIN' MINUTE!!!1

Stanley1
1/16/2006, 04:36 PM

Then ate the bunny. WITHOUT killing it first. :eek:

Stanley1
1/16/2006, 04:38 PM

The end.

How many time did she kick your *** after you said that? Honestly?

Howzit
1/16/2006, 04:39 PM
Then ate the bunny. WITHOUT killing it first. :eek:

And shat the pelt a month later.

1stTimeCaller
1/16/2006, 04:39 PM
And shat the pelt a month later.

after his stomach had made it into a $5,000 hat

Howzit
1/16/2006, 04:43 PM
that he wore when he first picked up his hawt wife