PDA

View Full Version : "All In the Family" marathon on TV Land

AllAboutThe'O'
1/15/2006, 11:49 PM
Anyone seen it yet? They're running an "All In the Family" marathon all weekend because it's the show's 35th anniversary (has it really been that long?). They also had a hour-long special where they selected the top 10 shows from the series.
I'm not what you would call a die-hard "AITF" fan because I mostly watch the shows that were funnier instead of the serious-themed shows. It was also better in the early years with Archie and Mike fighting and the appearance of the Jeffersons than in the later years (don't get me started on Stephanie).
Of course, probably the most memorable "AITF" moment was Sammy Davis Jr.'s guest appearance, where he planted the kiss on Archie at the end. Not surprisingly, that was the top-ranked episode on the TV Land special.
I also liked the episode (they showed it last night during the marathon) where Archie and Mike bet that they could go 48 hours without their favorite indulgence (Archie's cigar and Mike's appetite).
What's your favorite "AITF" moment?

SoonerBorn68
1/15/2006, 11:54 PM
For some reason I remember an episode where Archie called Meathead stupid because he put one sock and one shoe on at a time...not both socks, then both shoes. I just thought that was odd.

Czar Soonerov
1/15/2006, 11:56 PM
"Ohhhhh Archie."

Tailwind
1/16/2006, 12:01 AM
I watch that when I'm sleeping. I had a lot of Archieisms I liked, but can't remember any of them right now.

Mjcpr
1/16/2006, 12:40 AM
I watch that when I'm sleeping. I had a lot of Archieisms I liked, but can't remember any of them right now.

You're going to have to teach me how to do this.

Mjcpr
1/16/2006, 12:41 AM
What did Archie say his nickname was in school? Shoe-booty....or something like that. It's the episode where he and Mike are locked in the basement and they get drunk....I think.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/16/2006, 12:49 AM
What did Archie say his nickname was in school? Shoe-booty....or something like that. It's the episode where he and Mike are locked in the basement and they get drunk....I think.
Yeah, it was shoebooty. That episode was also on the TV Land top 10 special. Archie told Mike he was so poor that he could afford only one shoe and one boot, which he wore to school and was mercifully teased by classmates. That episode is probably the one people point to in which Mike finally has an understanding of why Archie was the way he was.

Mjcpr
1/16/2006, 12:50 AM
I watched the just a little while ago where Mike and Gloria move to California. ol' Arch teared up in that one.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/16/2006, 12:53 AM
I watched the just a little while ago where Mike and Gloria move to California. ol' Arch teared up in that one.
Yeah, I think that was probably the most emotional moment of the series. Another powerful episode was when the Bunkers had Christmas dinner with the draft dodger who was Mike's friend and Archie's friend whose son was killed in the Vietnam war.

MamaMia
1/16/2006, 12:57 AM
Most of the episodes were hilarious. I missed George and Lionel Jefferson, after they moved on up. I didnt like the whole California/Divorce thing episodes. Thats when it stopped being funny.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/16/2006, 01:06 AM
Most of the episodes were hilarious. I missed George and Lionel Jefferson, after they moved on up. I didnt like the whole California/Divorce thing episodes. Thats when it stopped being funny.
Don't forget Henry Jefferson, George's brother. Originially, the George Jefferson character wasn't seen, only talked about. Then the actor who played Henry left the series so the producers had to scramble to find someone who could play George. Sherman Hemsley, and the rest, as they say, is history.

lexsooner
1/16/2006, 11:49 AM
All in the Family was cutting edge tv at the time. A blue collar bigot and flushing toilets were thought to be really controversial then. Now it seems fairly lame compared with the openness towards sex, homosexuality, race, and other formerly taboo topics.

Nevertheless, some of the old episodes are hilarious. I especially like the one when Archie gets in an auto accident and seeks out an attorney. When meathead comes across the firm name "Rabinowitz, Rabinowitz, & Rabinowitz," Bunker immediately wants to hire this firm, crafty Jew lawyers in Archie's eyes. Then the head attorney pays him a visit and finds out Archie got in a wreck with a station wagon full of nuns who all say it is Archie's fault. End of case.

The episode where Edith was raped and Archie had to deal with the aftermath was especially cutting edge for the time.

Mjcpr
1/16/2006, 12:13 PM
The episode where Edith was raped and Archie had to deal with the aftermath was especially cutting edge for the time.

She was asking for it with those outfits she wore.