PDA

View Full Version : I haven't seen enough westerns

afs
1/15/2006, 08:54 PM
I figure they're the predesesor to shows like "24".

Give me your opinions of the best so I can rent them.

:texan:

GDC
1/15/2006, 09:00 PM
Long Riders, The Searchers, Tombstone, Unforgiven, For A Few Dollars More, Stagecoach, The Magnificent Seven, Shane, The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance, High Noon, off the top of my head.

oumartin
1/15/2006, 09:17 PM
my two personal faves are Long Riders and Tombstone. But i haven't seen many..

KaiserSooner
1/15/2006, 09:19 PM
I haven't seen many westerns either, but I hear High Noon is a good one.

oumartin
1/15/2006, 09:20 PM
I'm not to partial to anything John Wayne. I mean the guy wouldn't even go fight in a real war.

Okla-homey
1/15/2006, 09:24 PM
I'm not to partial to anything John Wayne. I mean the guy wouldn't even go fight in a real war.

yeah, but Duke made amends when he personally bankrolled and produced "The Green Berets" in order to respond to the peaceniks during the Vietnam era.

Speaking as a vet, the Duke gets a pass from me. just saying

Among his western catalog, The Cowboys, True Grit, the Searchers, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and Big Jake are my favs.

oumartin
1/15/2006, 09:25 PM
oh, i did not know that Homey. Thanks,

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/15/2006, 09:34 PM
Brokeback Mountain is a great contemperary Western YWIA!

IronSooner
1/15/2006, 09:35 PM
I'm not a big western fan either, but Tombstone is a must. Val Kilmer steals it.

Jimminy Crimson
1/15/2006, 09:35 PM
Wild Wild West, starring Will Smith is at the head of the class! :texan:

afs
1/15/2006, 09:36 PM
alright i've seen tombstone.

Okla-homey
1/15/2006, 09:37 PM
oh, i did not know that Homey. Thanks,

Martin,

Anytime you see "Batjack Productions," that means it's Wayne's production company. He originally formed it because he couldn't get anyone in Hollywood to make "The Alamo." Being the Duke, he just saddled-up, formed "Batjack" and paid for it himself.

If you recall, during the Vietnam era, Hollywood made nothing that depicted military people in a positive light. That p1ssed Duke off and being inspired by Sgt Barry Sadler's song, he made "The Green Berets." Naturally, the Army was jazzed about that and cooperated with him which is why much of it was shot in Fort Bragg NC training areas.

OUAndy1807
1/15/2006, 09:40 PM
Blazing Saddles

GDC
1/15/2006, 10:13 PM
Actually, Lonesome Dove is my favorite western, but I didn't include it above since it's a TV mini-series.

A few more I would suggest are Little Big Man, Jeremiah Johnson, Seven Men From Now, and Tom Horn.

sanantoniosooner
1/15/2006, 10:20 PM
Tombstone...........I like Silverado also.

Unforgiven is WAY up there.

KaiserSooner
1/16/2006, 01:58 AM
Actually, Lonesome Dove is my favorite western, but I didn't include it above since it's a TV mini-series.

I'm not even a western fan and I love Lonesome Dove. It's an awesome movie, even if it is a tv movie.

william_brasky
1/16/2006, 06:25 AM
the entire Clint Eastwood Western catalog...you can't go wrong

BoogercountySooner
1/16/2006, 09:03 AM
The Searchers, Dances with Wolves and Unforgiven

crawfish
1/16/2006, 09:05 AM
The Sergio Leone movies:

A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West

plus, the best of Clint:

The Outlaw Josey Wales
Pale Rider
Hang 'em High
Unforgiven

GDC
1/16/2006, 09:26 AM
The Sergio Leone movies:

A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More

plus, the best of Clint:

The Outlaw Josey Wales
Pale Rider
Hang 'em High
Unforgiven

Outlaw Josey Wales spek, I can't believe I forgot that one.

Harry Beanbag
1/16/2006, 09:39 AM
The Sergio Leone movies:

A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More

plus, the best of Clint:

The Outlaw Josey Wales
Pale Rider
Hang 'em High
Unforgiven

Don't forget High Plains Drifter.

Harry Beanbag
1/16/2006, 09:42 AM
Another one that I'd like to add is Open Range. I was a little disappointed the first time, but it gets better every time I see it.

Taxman71
1/16/2006, 09:46 AM
1. Lonesome Dove - best movie of any kind of all time.
2. Unforgiven - last 30 minutes is the best in cinema.
3. Outlaw Josey Wales - Clint at his best.
4. Tombstone - gets better every time.
5. Stagecoach - a young John Wayne
6. Hud - Paul Newman (not really a western in the classic sense, but very cool)
5. Any other western with Clint Eastwood.
6. Any other western with John Wayne.
7. Any western with Robert Duvall.

soonerbrat
1/16/2006, 09:48 AM
I'm not a big western fan either, but Tombstone is a must. Val Kilmer steals it.

http://www.planetkilmer.com/biography/valdoc.gif

I'm your Huckleberry.....

picasso
1/16/2006, 10:02 AM
all good choices but what's this "24" you speak of? if it's that series Qweafer Sutherland is in then it doesn't deserve any comparison.

Sooner_Bob
1/16/2006, 10:43 AM
Long Riders, The Searchers, Tombstone, Unforgiven, For A Few Dollars More, Stagecoach, The Magnificent Seven, Shane, The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance, High Noon, off the top of my head.

Don't forget Silverado . . . I'd also add The Man from Snowy River to the list as well.

Pieces Hit
1/16/2006, 10:47 AM
The Three Amigos

Sooner_Bob
1/16/2006, 10:48 AM
Would The Last of the Mohicans qualify?

picasso
1/16/2006, 10:49 AM
no.

Pieces Hit
1/16/2006, 10:52 AM
"Treasure of the Sierra Madre"

is sort of a western.

WATCH IT NOW!

http://www.chariho.k12.ri.us/chs/studentwork/woyak_m/postermadre.jpg

picasso
1/16/2006, 11:00 AM
Rio Bravo.

GDC
1/16/2006, 11:19 AM

At that time "Can-Tuck-Ee" was the wild west.

Taxman71
1/16/2006, 11:34 AM
Another one that I'd like to add is Open Range. I was a little disappointed the first time, but it gets better every time I see it.

I was disappointed also because this movie could have been a classic. It dragged in a couple of places and tried to catch-up towards the end. For example, the character of the gunslinger shot by Costner did not really get developed. Thus, it didn't seem like a big deal at the time that he shot him first and moved on.

Although this was one of Costner's best role(s) since Dances With Wolves (another great Western), a few changes here and here could have made this movie only a notch below Unforgiven.

King Crimson
1/16/2006, 11:36 AM
Red River.

Jeremiah Johnson (kind of a mountain western).

picasso
1/16/2006, 11:42 AM
Jeremiah Johnson qualifies and is one of my all time favorites.

GDC
1/16/2006, 02:10 PM
Just out of curiosity, what are the criteria that defines something as a western or not? Does it have to have horses? Be set west of the Mississippi, or in a certain time frame?

william_brasky
1/16/2006, 07:37 PM
Just out of curiosity, what are the criteria that defines something as a western or not? Does it have to have horses? Be set west of the Mississippi, or in a certain time frame?

yes?

sanantoniosooner
1/16/2006, 08:30 PM
None of that is important.

Somebody must spit.

TUSooner
1/16/2006, 08:42 PM

Somebody must spit.

Then baseball movies are all westerns?

Check out the older ones like Stagecoach, Shane, & High Noon. I think you get more of the "pure" Western theme or ideal or character. Some of the later Westerns seem to have modern themes and modern morality, just set in a western setting. This post would have made more sense if I had not just had that last beer.

sanantoniosooner
1/16/2006, 08:44 PM
It's got to include scratching and buttslapping to be a baseball flick.

TUSooner
1/16/2006, 08:47 PM
It's got to include scratching and buttslapping to be a baseball flick.
oh

picasso
1/17/2006, 12:08 AM
a western has to have a few elements in it. plains/southwest injuns, cowboys, cavalry or gunslingers.
Jeremiah Johnson qualifies because it has plains Indians and cavalry in it. Last of the Mohicans is a drama, not a western.;)

Blue
1/17/2006, 12:12 AM
All the Pretty Horses was pretty good. Hot chick, a couple of cowboys, a mexican knife fight to the death...

soonerscuba
1/17/2006, 12:18 AM
I took a class over Native Americans in film and had to watch a lot of westerns. Any time in Star Wars in which a speeder is traveling through a Southwestern landscape, Lucas is pretty much paying homage to the western. It was actually pretty interesting.

So I vote Star Wars. ;)

picasso
1/17/2006, 12:21 AM
in that case, better throw Starship Troopers and Red Planet in there.

Sooner in the Bluegrass
1/17/2006, 05:03 AM
It's true . . . while I can't speak for ST or RP, a great deal of Sci-Fi is merely a more modern representation of the Western. Some of it is more obvious than others, like Firefly and Serenity.

Lucas is definitely influenced by Westerns (to say nothing of Akira Kurosawa-- the SW concept is based on Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress. Think jedi=samurai). If anyone here has seen The Searchers, you might have noticed or recall that the sequence where Annakin slips into the Tuskin Raider camp in Episode II is nearly a frame-for-frame duplicate of the sequence in The Searchers where Jeffrey Hunter slips into the Comanche camp.

I'll throw out The Wild Bunch, as well. And I don't think anyone has mentioned Deadwood, either. While not a movie, it's still one of the most impressive pieces of entertainment within the genre. In many respects, it's probably the most realistic representation of the American West that has ever been made.

Harry Beanbag
1/17/2006, 06:43 AM

Somebody must swallow.

You'll love Brokeback Mountain then. :eek:

picasso
1/17/2006, 09:23 AM
And I don't think anyone has mentioned Deadwood, either. While not a movie, it's still one of the most impressive pieces of entertainment within the genre. In many respects, it's probably the most realistic representation of the American West that has ever been made.
you think those meatheaded s@#*sack's used the f-word that much back then?
I could tolerate the show much more without the dialogue.

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2006, 09:59 AM
You'll love Brokeback Mountain then. :eek:
In spite of your endorsement, I'll skip that one.;)

GDC
1/17/2006, 10:53 AM
John Singleton considers Four Brothers a western. I'm confused.

IB4OU2
1/17/2006, 10:59 AM
I can't believe 'Shane' hasn't been mentioned yet, that was a classic.

GDC
1/17/2006, 11:02 AM
I can't believe 'Shane' hasn't been mentioned yet, that was a classic.

I did, and yes, it's a classic.:)

IB4OU2
1/17/2006, 11:05 AM

Oops, sorry.......:O

picasso
3/27/2006, 01:37 PM
anybody mention Tom Horn? starring a dying Steve McQueen.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/27/2006, 01:51 PM
josey wales would be the most awesome movie evar if he would have put a slug into sandra locke's head when he found her.

war wagon, rooster cogburn

cheyenne autumn just because its funny as crap to see ricardo montalbahn as an indian.

GDC
9/2/2006, 12:49 PM
Attention Lonesome Dove fans:

I talked to Wes Studi today at the Cherokee National Holiday, he just wrapped the Comanche Moon mini-series, it will be on CBS right after the Super Bowl and also has Val Kilmer. Wes plays Buffalo Hump.

sanantoniosooner
9/2/2006, 12:51 PM
Buffalo Hump?

Is he a method actor?

GDC
9/2/2006, 12:55 PM
He's the bad-*** Comanche Gus and Call chase all over Texas and Mexico.

sanantoniosooner
9/2/2006, 12:57 PM
nah........I was wondering if Wes was a method actor.

How many buffalos would you have to hump before tackling the role?

GDC
9/2/2006, 12:59 PM
nah........I was wondering if Wes was a method actor.

How many buffalos would you have to hump before tackling the role?

I didn't ask Wes that, but I wish I had.

Buffalo Hump has a huge mass of gristle and stuff on his back, like, well, a buffalo.

OKC Sooner
9/2/2006, 01:12 PM
don't forget Westworld. :D

http://www.unificationfrance.com/IMG/jpg/Westworld_site_1.jpg

OUHOMER
9/2/2006, 01:22 PM
As a kid i loved Cat Ballou (SP). Is was funny as hell. I like any of the movies that have a SACKETT in it. As well as most all mentioned.

OKC Sooner
9/2/2006, 01:54 PM
As a kid i loved Cat Ballou (SP). Is was funny as hell. I like any of the movies that have a SACKETT in it. As well as most all mentioned.

Lee Marvin singing Happy Birthday and blowing out the candles on Frankie Ballou's coffin is one of the absolutely premier comic moments in the history of film.

OCUDad
9/2/2006, 11:11 PM
I'm surprised there hasn't been more mention of The Magnificent Seven. Truly a classic, and not to be missed.

GDC
9/3/2006, 09:53 PM
Long Riders is on right now, that movie kicks ***.

King Crimson
9/3/2006, 09:59 PM
I'm surprised there hasn't been more mention of The Magnificent Seven. Truly a classic, and not to be missed.

pales in comparison to Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, which it's based on.

jus sayin.