PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm Williams...

SoonerGators
1/15/2006, 07:13 PM
Really glad to see him switch over to the good guys. Finally a true CB who we don't have to convert and who should get a chance to see some pt right away if he can hack it, and early guesses are that he can. Either way, I really like this surprise addition to a class that is quickly becoming stout!

BASSooner
1/15/2006, 07:18 PM
He's projected at safety on rivals.com though

SoonerGators
1/15/2006, 07:27 PM
Rivals has him as safety/cornerback and in the article they refer to him as a db...he's played both in high school and would almost certainly play db for us

LifelongSooner
1/15/2006, 07:30 PM
He's 3 stars on Scout, and 35th in the country.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=187&p=8&c=1&nid=1444141

He's 4 stars on Rivals, and 10th.

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=38250

SoonerGators
1/15/2006, 07:42 PM
http://www.insidehighschoolfootball.com/playerprofilearchive.shtml

There is some video of him listed at db...he's towards the bottom of the page

sooner13f
1/15/2006, 08:14 PM
http://www.insidehighschoolfootball.com/playerprofilearchive.shtml

There is some video of him listed at db...he's towards the bottom of the page
That link was great thanks

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/15/2006, 08:18 PM
that is a sucky angle to tell anything off of, but at first glance i'm thinking safety. playmaking safety, but safety nonetheless.

Octavian
1/15/2006, 08:23 PM
what happened w/ A&M?

Harry Beanbag
1/15/2006, 08:44 PM
what happened w/ A&M?

They suck.

Octavian
1/15/2006, 08:44 PM
Could someone please copy the Rivals article for us poor bastards w/out subscriptions? ;)

Octavian
1/15/2006, 08:45 PM
They suck.

I'll set em up...you knock em down :D

OUGreg723
1/15/2006, 08:54 PM
THAT BOY IS NICE!!!

The Great Evaluator
1/15/2006, 09:40 PM
THAT BOY IS NICE!!!
Having seen him play several times this year, I can assure you he is the real deal. His Coach came to Texas fr. Oklahoma several years ago and may have had a hand in sending him up there. He was named DFW MVP on the defensive side of the ball which is saying something because I can't remember a defensive back ever picking up that honor. He's a little small but has great instincts and speed. I would say Rivals 4 Star rating is more accurate than Scout's 3 Star. Thanks for the video link that was good stuff!

BASSooner
1/15/2006, 10:37 PM
Good if he can play CB/S because we need someone like him!!

SoonerGators
1/15/2006, 10:42 PM
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=501562

Jeremy Crabtree
Recruiting Editor

There are right ways to do things and there are wrong ways to do things.

Grand Prairie (Texas) South Prairie four-star defensive back Malcolm Williams was raised to do the right thing by his mother. So when it came time to make a final life-changing decision and dramatically alter the course of his college future, he did it face to face.

Williams, who is 5-foot-9 and 172 pounds, told Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione this weekend on his official visit to College Station that he had decided to de-commit from the Aggies and switch his pledge to Oklahoma.

"It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be," Williams said. "Coach Fran said he understood that I had to make the decision that was best for me. It was easier than I thought it would be. He said he appreciated how I talked to him man-to-man.

"I was kind of scared about having to tell him, but I wanted to do things the right way. He asked me to not make a final decision until I took my visit to Texas A&M, and the visit went well and I liked my time down there.

"But that was just on the visit. I had to make the right decision – one that I can live with for the next four years."

Williams, a long time A&M pledge, said the biggest reason why he's now a Sooner instead of an Aggie is that he knows Oklahoma's staff will be there for a while.

"I want to win," Williams said.

"And A&M hasn't showed me that they can win. They're talking about winning and about how they can win. I know at Oklahoma that they win and win a lot. I also know that at A&M, what happens if I'm two years in there and coach Franchione is fired? I know that coach Stoops at Oklahoma isn't going anywhere."

Williams took a visit to Norman back on December 16 and there had been rumors flying around for the last two weeks that four-star defensive back was going to end up at Oklahoma. But with the A&M visit on the horizon it was never clear how good the Sooners' chances were.

"I had kind of known for a while it was going to be Oklahoma," Williams said. "But I made that promise to coach Fran to at least come down there and see how it went. But I really liked the chance that Brent Venables at Oklahoma was giving me. He said he jumped up and down when I called him today and committed. He was fired up. He was just as happy as I was."

Williams said he was recruited by the Sooners to play cornerback, but he does have the ability to play at safety, where Rivals.com has him ranked.

Octavian
1/15/2006, 10:44 PM
He sounds like a really good kid. Thanks man...have some green

Octavian
1/15/2006, 10:56 PM
Malcolm Williams (Texan): "I want to win...I know at Oklahoma that they win and win a lot. I know that coach Stoops at Oklahoma isn't going anywhere."

and apparently a scholar. :mack:

Ruuuuuufus
1/15/2006, 11:35 PM
Apparently his coaches moved him to safety because at corner nothing was going to his side of the field and they wanted him to be more involved. He kinda reminds me of Bob Sanders :o

Texas Golfer
1/16/2006, 12:09 AM
If he's as good as he's being touted, he should be able to start right away in our secondary.

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/16/2006, 09:03 AM
"Coach Fran said he understood that I had to make the decision that was best for me. It was easier than I thought it would be. He said he appreciated how I talked to him man-to-man.

what appreciation does fran know about talking to people man-to-man before he leaves? :confused:

Rhino
1/16/2006, 12:16 PM
that is a sucky angle to tell anything off of, but at first glance i'm thinking safety. playmaking safety, but safety nonetheless. So, he's gunna be a corner here, huh.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/16/2006, 12:34 PM
he does have a little strait in him. we'll see how this works out...

caphorns
1/16/2006, 12:38 PM
what appreciation does fran know about talking to people man-to-man before he leaves? :confused:

Exactly. That's about the only way I can translate Crabtree's "right way" "wrong way" reference. Looks like a dig to me ;)

Big Red Ron
1/16/2006, 12:48 PM
I wonder what this says about Marcus Walker's shoulder.

caphorns
1/16/2006, 02:23 PM
I wonder what this says about Marcus Walker's shoulder.

You mean Marcus Walker M.D.?

Tear Down This Wall
1/16/2006, 02:28 PM
I don't think it says anything about Marcus Walker's shoulder. I think it says that Stoops doesn't want to go through another season with no bona fide CB's again.

Soonerman08
1/16/2006, 02:32 PM
I don't think it says anything about Marcus Walker's shoulder. I think it says that Stoops doesn't want to go through another season with no bona fide CB's again.

With the lack of personnel in the secondary (mainly Cornerbacks) as in the previous years, I would hope Bob and Co. recruit at least 2 good corners yearly.

caphorns
1/16/2006, 02:41 PM
How in the world did I miss this the first time: Malcolm Williams is from . . . South Grand Prairie. No wonder he sounds just like the senior Mr. Bomar when he trashes out a program that offered him a scholly ;)

tbl
1/16/2006, 02:47 PM
He sure is short...

jdsooner
1/16/2006, 03:12 PM
How in the world did I miss this the first time: Malcolm Williams is from . . . South Grand Prairie. No wonder he sounds just like the senior Mr. Bomar when he trashes out a program that offered him a scholly ;)

Now that vincent is gone; you may give Mr. Bomar a little more respect.:texan:

OUster
1/16/2006, 03:27 PM
from the looks of his video, may finally provide the punt return threat we have been missing.

caphorns
1/16/2006, 03:33 PM
Now that vincent is gone; you may give Mr. Bomar a little more respect.:texan:

Because Vince got SO much respect around here :rolleyes:

I was really directing my statement towards the elder Mr. Bomar anyway. Until he proves otherwise, I am not going to spend much effort throwing kudos to Rhett. If he turns out to be a winner, then I'll pay appropriate homage. Right now, I still even count the Tech loss against him. So he's 8-3 with 1 big win and 1 completely lopsided blowout.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/16/2006, 04:17 PM
i agree with a horn. ugh, i feel dirty.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/16/2006, 04:34 PM
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/high_school/13564107.htm

found this among the endless akim millington is a quitter threads...

Soonerman08
1/16/2006, 04:38 PM
Because Vince got SO much respect around here :rolleyes:

I was really directing my statement towards the elder Mr. Bomar anyway. Until he proves otherwise, I am not going to spend much effort throwing kudos to Rhett. If he turns out to be a winner, then I'll pay appropriate homage. Right now, I still even count the Tech loss against him. So he's 8-3 with 1 big win and 1 completely lopsided blowout.

You forgot to mention Vince getting shutout and blownout! :D

MiccoMacey
1/16/2006, 04:57 PM
You mean Marcus Walker M.D.?

No... Marcus Walker, Texas Ranger. :D

caphorns
1/16/2006, 04:58 PM
You forgot to mention Vince getting shutout and blownout! :D

He didn't start that game ;)

He sucked eggs in it though. Not as badly as Mock, but pretty damn bad.

Rhino
1/16/2006, 05:20 PM
found this among the endless akim millington is a quitter threads... Those people are retards. I was quickly reminded why I don't spend much time over there.

humblesooner
1/16/2006, 05:29 PM
He didn't start that game ;)

He sucked eggs in it though. Not as badly as Mock, but pretty damn bad.

cap - Do you think Mock would have been a better player (not just in the RRS) if he had been given more chance (ie, if Vince had not shown up)?

I know his dad well and still can't understand why he didn't at least give a look at the defensive side of the ball. With his speed and size he might have done something good and maybe had a chance at a pro tryout.
I understand the part about not transferring to a D1-AA school for his fifth year.

caphorns
1/16/2006, 05:48 PM
Chance was a decent college QB, but I don't see where he had NFL quality talent. I think he did actually tryout in the pros (or maybe it was NFL Europe?).

I couldn't imagine Chance would be very effective on defense. He was a relatively slow runner and wasn't real keen on contact. I just can't see him making big sticks on D.

Chance probably could have been a better college QB with more starts. For that he could have gone to a team like TCU or even Tech. He may have really rocked with Tech frankly. I think a non-athletic 3-star/4-star type QB ought to give serious thought to Tech or any other team that runs the spread (I think Rice is headed that way).

humblesooner
1/16/2006, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=caphorns] I couldn't imagine Chance would be very effective on defense. He was a relatively slow runner and wasn't real keen on contact. I just can't see him making big sticks on D.
QUOTE]

Actually, his speed was why he was as highly rated QB as he was. I think I heard 4.5+. That's why I thought he needed to change sides of the ball. I don't know about him not being keen on cantact, because I guess he never had to try it. I just felt like a kid that was 6'2", 220 and a 4.5-4.6 would have been better suited in the D backfield.
As for my initial question, I think it was kind of like a Paul Thompson scenario - he never had a chance to earn his way without a top-rated recruit looking over his shoulder. Every incompletion was another nail in his coffin.
I don't think he had NFL talent as a QB either. But if he had played more, he may have received a FA invite just based on size, speed and lineage (Mike was a LB for the Jets).

I haven't worked with Mike for 2-1/2 years and haven't had a chance to talk to him since Chance graduated. But I just wondered what you take was.

Take care and enjoy that NC. They don't come along very often.

caphorns
1/16/2006, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=caphorns] I couldn't imagine Chance would be very effective on defense. He was a relatively slow runner and wasn't real keen on contact. I just can't see him making big sticks on D.
QUOTE]

Actually, his speed was why he was as highly rated QB as he was. I think I heard 4.5+. That's why I thought he needed to change sides of the ball. I don't know about him not being keen on cantact, because I guess he never had to try it. I just felt like a kid that was 6'2", 220 and a 4.5-4.6 would have been better suited in the D backfield.
As for my initial question, I think it was kind of like a Paul Thompson scenario - he never had a chance to earn his way without a top-rated recruit looking over his shoulder. Every incompletion was another nail in his coffin.
I don't think he had NFL talent as a QB either. But if he had played more, he may have received a FA invite just based on size, speed and lineage (Mike was a LB for the Jets).

I haven't worked with Mike for 2-1/2 years and haven't had a chance to talk to him since Chance graduated. But I just wondered what you take was.

Take care and enjoy that NC. They don't come along very often.

I didn't know his 40 time frankly. I just remember that he looked slow when he ran it at Texas and not like a guy who would be able to turn it the other way around. He certainly didn't shake tackles or really fight through them when he ran with the ball. He did have a great game against Tech. That had to be his shining moment as a Longhorn.

I never heard that Mock asked to be put on D. I think he was convinced he was a QB. He was considering transferring to Connecticut before his senior season but decided against it. One thing Mack will do is let kids take a shot where they want to. I am assuming if he had defensive talent, Mock would have taken a shot at it. Certainly Mock was a hell of a backup QB to have in place - even though it turned out that Vince stayed healthy.

humblesooner
1/17/2006, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=humblesooner]

I never heard that Mock asked to be put on D. I think he was convinced he was a QB.

No - He never did ask. And you are right, he was convinced he was a QB.
Mike told me that one thing they insisted on when Mack was recruiting him and that was that Chance would not be asked to switch sides of the ball. That happened to Mike when he went to Tech and turned out OK as he was a LB for the Jets for a couple of years.

I just couldn't believe that Chance wanted to back up VY his senior year instead of getting playing time somewhere else.

yermom
1/17/2006, 04:07 PM
He sure is short...

Strait was 5'9" wasn't he?

NormanPride
1/17/2006, 04:22 PM
Most of the really good corners aren't exactly towering giants...

Why do you say safety, jkm? The hips? Or the way he moves to the ball?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/17/2006, 04:46 PM
when someone says "corner" you watch one thing in the videos -> hips. you'll notice his don't move. of course, highlight videos suck for telling such things.