PDA

View Full Version : Hey, OhU1. I'm playing USTA League tennis and I have never seen such CHEATING . . .

lexsooner
1/15/2006, 06:35 PM
Man, these guys all underrate themselves so they can win. I play at the 3.0 level fair and square, but 3.0 is loaded with 3.5 guys who just want to win. Cheaters. It's just like when you win at tennis. You cheat, man. You hook me on line calls, foot fault all the time, serve when I'm not ready. Cheater.

It's just like when UT plays. I have never seen such cheating but for UT's opponents who get away with holding galore. If it weren't for this cheater holding, UT would have about five MNCs under Mack Brown. The cheating is just unconscionable both with the USTA League and UT opponents. I feel sorry for UT because the refs just don't call holding and they get ripped every game.

There's no morals in society these days.

soonerbrat
1/15/2006, 06:48 PM
maybe you're just not as good as you think you are.

lexsooner
1/15/2006, 06:54 PM
maybe you're just not as good as you think you are.

No way, man. They cheat the way the Horns' opponents hold and get away with it. Cheaters.

soonerbrat
1/15/2006, 07:16 PM
well...move down to 2.5??

lexsooner
1/15/2006, 07:40 PM
well...move down to 2.5??

I'm thinking about it. The problem is, if I do that I will be just joining in with the cheaters. What if there are some beginner types honestly playing at 2.5? I would whup them unfairly, and I would just be yet another USTA League cheater.

There is a formal grievance process for contesting other players' self-ratings. I thought about using it against my opponents who cheated, but I took inspiration from Mack Brown who despite blatant cheating by opponents his whole career at UT, has chosen not to file any formal protests with the NCAA over opponents' uncalled holding. He continues to keep his chin up and just keeps clapping like mad on the sidelines. If Mack can be that honorable and can clap like he does, I can certainly take all this unfair CHEATING like a MAN.

soonerbrat
1/15/2006, 08:05 PM
what is your obsession with mack brown?

lexsooner
1/15/2006, 08:26 PM
what is your obsession with mack brown?

He's a victim of widespread cheating like I am. I have never seen more uncalled holding than when UT is on defense. However, his finally winning the MNC this season despite the jobbing he gets every week from the refs is proof that the underdog can prevail despite all odds. Mack gives me inspiration and to continue in the 3.0 division despite all the unfair cheating going on.

Also, despite OhU1's blatant dishonesty and cheating in tennis, I still have an edge in our matches. He has closed that gap thanks to his finding improved ways to cheat. His cheating, though is more opportunistic and situational. The USTA League cheaters do it systematically, which is in many ways worse.

soonerbrat
1/15/2006, 08:28 PM
there's holding on almost every play in college football.

and besides...who cares about mack brown?

TheBobbyTrain
1/15/2006, 09:00 PM
back when i played high school tennis (1 doubles for norman high until '02), cheating was everywhere. the best solution is to devote a match to pegging the hell out of the opponent by all means necessary.

i've always wanted to get ranked in USTA and play competitively again. I'd be about a 4.0-4.5 player

apusooner
1/15/2006, 11:22 PM
I agree with bobbytrain. pegging is a good solution. if its the cheating you are mad about, then when they do it, walk to the net and just stare at them. when they ask what you are doing, tell them you are waiting for them to quit cheating. if that starts an argument about cheating, then commence the peg-fest. I usually dropped my racket, and started walking towards their side. they knew what was coming. then again, I'm 6' 4" and 270, most tennis players arent, so i had the advantage. they wouldnt cheat anymore. also, whiz a couple by their head, that works too. you could also have someone else watch the match.

if its the quality of player you are mad about, take it as a learning opportunity to make you better. you wont get better playing people the same as you.

as i think about it, pegging is the best thing to do. aim for the face. the ball makes a nice thump when it bounces off one's head.

btw--how do you rate yourself as a player? i'd like to know what i would be.

lexsooner
1/15/2006, 11:41 PM
USTA has a website which describes the general characteristics of players in different levels, from 1.0 through 5.0 or higher. Our Lexington, KY, USTA league starts at 2.5. A 2.5 can keep the ball going if the pace is slow, but has trouble with consistency. A 2.5. is a beginner to moderate player. A 3.0 is an intermediate level player who has developed some consistency, has general ball placement, but has yet to master accuracy and a variety of shots. Etc. etc. Look on Google for a USTA site and it should have links to these self-rating characteristics.

Here is the problem with the Lexington USTA League: Regardless of the USTA official playing characteristics scale, from what I have observed and faced on the court, players in the league are significantly better than their self-rating. The 3.0 players I have played and watched really fit the playing characteristics of a 3.5 as described by the USTA self-rating scale. This underrating is rampant and not just among a few cheaters. Whole teams seem to cheat so they can win, like that is so freakin important. On a grand scale they all suck compared to really good players but some darn trophy is a big deal to these cheaters.

Pegging someone would bring a little satisfaction, but my point is the cheating is more systematic as described above rather than on an individual basis with line calls and foot faults.

Oh, I just got an e-mail back from a 3.5 captain who I questioned about this underrating problem. He stated the USTA scale reflects nationwide play, but Lexington is above average by national standards. No, this response does not make any sense. The USTA rating standard is what it is, and applies nationwide to all USTA league play. What difference does it make if Lexington has above average tennis players? Then there should be more 4.0 - 4.5 players around here, that is all. It does not explain why better players are playing in lower rated divisions. My point is players should play in the division which accurately corresponds to their skill level according to the USTA playing characteristics scale.

lexsooner
1/15/2006, 11:50 PM
If OhU1 was playing in the USTA League, he would probably play as a 1.0 if he could, just so he could win all his matches. To add insult to injury, he would probably hook his opponents on line calls just so he could win 6-0, 6-0. Cheater! I feel for his opponents just like I feel for UT and Mack Brown, the victims of cheating.

lexsooner
1/16/2006, 11:57 AM
I notice OhU1 is nowhere to be found. He's probably playing one of his attorney friends in tennis and CHEATING!!!!

OhU1
1/18/2006, 05:28 PM
Lex I whipped you before I'll whip you again. I let you win in our day after Thanksgiving match because I felt sorry for you.

You are the cheater my friend - running marathons and playing at fancy tennis clubs in your attempts to best me? Pffft!

I beat my 12 year old nephew 6-1 by the way. He whipped me in Risk and Chess and danced around the table like Icky Woods so I owed the little snot some payback :)

Quit picking on the Longhorns. They don't cheat. Everyone else DOES hold. In fact most Horn fans report they can't believe how OU, USC, and other teams get away with holding so much. I think even opposing basketball teams go so far as to travel on most plays against them and not get called. Somehow the Horns seem to do OK despite what they're up against. Sad really.

lexsooner
1/18/2006, 10:37 PM
Lex I whipped you before I'll whip you again. I let you win in our day after Thanksgiving match because I felt sorry for you.

You are the cheater my friend - running marathons and playing at fancy tennis clubs in your attempts to best me? Pffft!

I beat my 12 year old nephew 6-1 by the way. He whipped me in Risk and Chess and danced around the table like Icky Woods so I owed the little snot some payback :)

Quit picking on the Longhorns. They don't cheat. Everyone else DOES hold. In fact most Horn fans report they can't believe how OU, USC, and other teams get away with holding so much. I think even opposing basketball teams go so far as to travel on most plays against them and not get called. Somehow the Horns seem to do OK despite what they're up against. Sad really.

It doesn't surprise me you played a 12 year old just so you can win. That proves you would enter the USTA 1.0 league just to win. That is, the WOMEN"S LEAGUE.

You must be blind not to see the cheating going on against UT, especially all the uncalled holding. It's a credit to Mack Brown and his players and coaches that they have done so well against a stacked deck. It's like the Steelers playing against those refs from the Colts' game every week.

TheBobbyTrain
1/18/2006, 10:52 PM
Ooh, ooh, I wanna play someone. You might not survive and should take that supplemental insurance that pays for when you get injured and can't work. Gosh, I forgot the name of it.... anyway - yeah, I'm game for a good match.