PDA

View Full Version : Are we out of room?

KingDavid
1/15/2006, 06:31 PM
Can someone explain to me how we can possibly still have room for McCoy, Walker, Morgan and/or Gresham? I don't understand the term "grayshirt." If I am one of the Sooner's existing recruits (now 26 if I'm not mistaken), do I start to sweat that my scholarship might be rescinded or something? I can't see Stoops and staff doing something like that, but given how wishy-washy the recruits themselves are, I wonder - I just don't understand the protocol for how all this works. Somebody help relieve my ignorance, please, and spare no details. Also, while you're out it, can somebody breakdown the abbreviation codes around here (e.g. what the heck is IMO?) Thanks!:confused:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/15/2006, 06:46 PM
its pretty complicated. we only have room for 3 of the 4 if we keep gibbs.

KingDavid
1/15/2006, 07:16 PM
Do you mind filling me in a bit more on the explanation of how we get there? Or pointing me in the direction of an article somewhere? Tell me how close I am: I read an article on rivals a while back that indicated the NEO guys would give up two spots when Gibbs heads to Oregon and Patterson fails to qualify. Everyone keeps saying Patterson might make it, though. Seems like wishful thinking to me to get 30 hours squeezed into 5 months when it took him 1.5 years to get the first 30.

Assuming Gibbs leaves and Patterson doesn't qualify, then where do the other 2 openings come from because I understand that the scholarship counts will only yield 25 schols for this year.

Are we counting on another DT leaving if/when we confirm that McCoy is a Sooner? Is there someone else who is not going to qualify? Or several? How does that work anyway?

Collier11
1/15/2006, 07:27 PM
I cant explain it to you but from what ive heard we have about 27-29 openings this year, I dont know how it works at all but this is what Ive heard on the Animal

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/15/2006, 08:12 PM
we had 2 spring entrants, but we aren't sure if either of them can count towards the prior class. the question revolves around whether mike knall was a scholarship player last year and whether brandon keith's scholarship counted.

so, best situation we can take 27 this year, unless we have them walkon. the kid from grove is a walkon and chase beeler out of union may be a academic scholarship walkon for the first year. so theoretically we could take 29 and be okay.

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2006, 08:12 PM
We have a couple of guys who may not qualify.

Greyshirting means a guy pays his own way for a semester then gets a scholly in spring.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/15/2006, 08:19 PM
no, that's walking on.

greyshirting means you wait a semester to enroll in school - delaying your eligibility clock.

Big John
1/15/2006, 10:13 PM
Can OU just gives scholarships to the best players in the recruiting class? If that's the case, then they can just choose from all the players who committed. Can't OU just pull the scholarship offer the last second from someone one or several people such as Quentin Carter or Adrian Taylor, if we get McCoy or some other big time prospects to commit late?

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2006, 10:18 PM
no, that's walking on.

greyshirting means you wait a semester to enroll in school - delaying your eligibility clock.

You are correct. I've made two gross misstatements today.

I'm a tard.

sooner13f
1/15/2006, 10:20 PM
I dont know the rules on that but I would hope not. That just doesnt seem right. A kid commits early because he wants to play at OU. The team offered, Maybe Gibbs since he is looking around anyways, but a kid that is a solid commit that would stink.

KingDavid
1/15/2006, 10:25 PM
I dont know the rules on that but I would hope not. That just doesnt seem right. A kid commits early because he wants to play at OU. The team offered, Maybe Gibbs since he is looking around anyways, but a kid that is a solid commit that would stink.

. . . not to mention it would be the kiss of death for subsequent recruiting classes, if not the morale of the whole squad when it got back to the players that the coaches aren't good for their word.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/15/2006, 10:36 PM
they could, but they won't. to be honest, i'll bet there is room for gibbs as well.

Ruuuuuufus
1/15/2006, 10:47 PM
From what I understand all of our early entrants should be able to count against last year.

I don't know how, but I believe that some of the guys that left last year can have their spots filled by subsequent incoming classes which should open up enough holes for this year. Off the top of the head Grady, Choice, Tennial, McAdams, Dampeer and Cade were all freshmen last year that left.

KingDavid
1/15/2006, 11:05 PM
I know they all weren't freshmen, but all of those did leave. That's an interesting take, though. Thanks. I suppose my main concern when I see 26 recruits and no McCoy, Walker, or Gresham, I start to wonder what's up. But think about how assinine that is: as if I need to call the batline in Bob's office and remind him to leave room for McCoy. Silly me.

Ruuuuuufus
1/15/2006, 11:23 PM
which wasn't a freshman?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/15/2006, 11:35 PM
the problem is that we might have given out 25 scholarships last year. the question centers around whether knall and keith were officially counted. the one thing about all of these recruited walkons is that now we are in danger of exceeding the 85 man limit.

KingDavid
1/15/2006, 11:58 PM
which wasn't a freshman?

I know Grady was a Sophomore, and wasn't Cade, too? Tennial and Choice I believe would have been sophomores, too. I could be wrong.

Ruuuuuufus
1/16/2006, 12:14 AM
All those guys were redshirt freshmen last year (04-05) and would have been sophomores this year.

okienole3
1/16/2006, 12:54 AM
no, that's walking on.

You can still take hours. Just not a full load. Correct?

Collier11
1/16/2006, 02:15 AM
Hold up, Ive got it...Bob Stoops knows exactly how many schollys he has and who he is giving them too, so lets not worry about it, thats his job!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/16/2006, 02:21 AM
grayshirts can't enroll

KingDavid
1/16/2006, 09:56 AM
I know Grady was a Sophomore, and wasn't Cade, too? Tennial and Choice I believe would have been sophomores, too. I could be wrong.

OK. I suppose the redshirt thing threw me off since it seems odd that we would be able to count early entrants against redshirt departures whose scholarships were given two years ago.

Does anyone know where the NCAA's rules are published? Surely they are public, right?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/16/2006, 10:38 AM
there is a ton of disinformation in this thread.

you are allowed to bring in 25 kids a year and you are allowed to have 85 kids on scholarship at any one time. departures have no effect on the 25 rule, but they do on the 85 rule.

25 man rule scenario

2005 - team takes 25 players - 2 fail to qualify. that means they officially took 23. one of the 2 decides to go juco, the other grayshirts.

2006 - team could take up to 27 as long as 2 come in at spring - team only opts to take the one grayshirt in the spring. they permanently lose the other scholarship and have 25 to give in the fall. they give 17.

2007 - team could take 8 spring entrants - they take 4. that leaves them with 25 for the fall so they could take a maximum of 29.

Collier11
1/16/2006, 03:10 PM
So why then does Coach Stoops go on the animal after we already have 25 commits last week and tell Al and Jim that he has 3 or 4 other guys that he is hoping to get to round out the class...no offense jkm but im pretty sure that Stoops knows a little better than you do if he can take this many kids???

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/16/2006, 03:24 PM
So why then does Coach Stoops go on the animal after we already have 25 commits last week and tell Al and Jim that he has 3 or 4 other guys that he is hoping to get to round out the class...no offense jkm but im pretty sure that Stoops knows a little better than you do if he can take this many kids???

if you'd actually read the posts, you'd be able to see that the only undisputed numbers i gave were the NCAA caps.
stoops is one of the few that knows...
a) whether we gave knall a scholarship
b) whether keith's scholarship counts
c) whether we have guys that aren't going to qualify
d) whether we have guys grayshirting
e) whether we have guys that are going to walkon

what we do know is that the maximum number of guys that can show up in the fall ON SCHOLARSHIP is 25. if 3 more guys commit that means we are
a) going to lose at least 3 more to attrition (with ross and strong counted)
b) have 2 not qualify

Collier11
1/16/2006, 03:42 PM
THis is true, all I saw was your last comment...Stoops did an interview last week and that is what he said, that there are three or four guys left to round out the class that they want to get. So I assume that somehow some of those guys who left will not count against us

Collier11
1/16/2006, 03:43 PM
Dont forget, does Grady, millington, dampeer,etc. get to come off of the books

OklahomaTuba
1/16/2006, 03:44 PM
If you think this is complicated, don't ask about the NCAA rules regarding marching band eligibility.

Collier11
1/16/2006, 03:48 PM
:rolleyes:

ha ha, Seriously?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/16/2006, 03:51 PM
their scholarships only apply towards the 85 man limit. we weren't in any danger of passing that until we started taking all of these recruited walkons.

http://www.ouportal.com/Football/EligibilityChart/tabid/172/Default.aspx

at the bottom, i illustrate our current 85 man limit. there are actually 2 more scholarships available (strong and ross), but they won't free up until signing day when i run the upgrade script. i'm going to add the kid from grove when i get a chance as a recruited walkon.