PDA

View Full Version : Question about concealed weapons?

royalfan5
1/14/2006, 10:23 PM
Does Oklahoma allow people to carry concealed weapons? If so what are the requirements to get one? Do a lot of people carry them? I ask because Nebraska is trying once again to legalize concealed weapons like they have for the last ten years with out success, mainly because of apathy about the issue. I was just curious what effects legalizing concealed weapons had on people's behavior. I myself don't plan on carrying, but I really don't care if qualified people want to carry.

oumartin
1/14/2006, 10:32 PM
well if its not legal to carry a concealed weapon I'm going to have to start leaving my fly open ;)

SoonerBorn68
1/14/2006, 10:34 PM
Yep. The way I understand it you have to go through a class and qualify with one. If you use a semi-automatic during the course then you're qualified for both semi & revolver. If you use a revolver, you're only qualified to carry that.

You have to go through a background check and be cleared by the county sheriff. As far as I know that's all the particulars...but I don't have one...yet.

Okla-homey
1/14/2006, 10:38 PM
Currently, the license costs $125.00 (100.00 to OSBI and 25.00 for the local sheriff's dept) for a five-year license, renewable for 85.00 every five years thereafter. Additionally, an OSBI approved training course must be completed before application, but the training is good for life. It costs around 100.00.

When I took the course last weekend, the instructor informed us there are about 25,000 Okies licensed to carry. Unfortunately, there are probably a couple hundred thousand folks carrying concealed handguns illegally.

Without one of these licenses, it is illegal in OK to carry a concealed weapon, which includes having a loaded handgun within the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle.

Here are the licensing requirements in some detail.

In accordance with the Oklahoma Self Defense Act (Title 21 O.S. Section 1290.1 et seq.)

The following requirements shall apply to any person making application to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation for a concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et seq. of this title. The person must:

1. Be a citizen of the United States;

2. Be a current legal resident of the State of Oklahoma and have been a legal resident for at least six (6) consecutive months immediately preceding the date of submitting the application for a handgun license. For purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the term "legal resident" shall apply to any military person who possesses a valid Oklahoma driver license or state photo identification card for at least six (6) consecutive months immediately preceding the date of submitting the application for a handgun license, and physically resides for at least six (6) months of each year in this state at a permanent residence address;

3. Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age;

4. Complete a firearms safety and training course and demonstrate competence and qualifications with the type of pistol to be carried by the person as provided in Section 1290.14 of this title, and submit proof of training and qualification or an exemption for training and qualification as authorized by Section 1290.14 of this title;

5. Submit the required fee and complete the application process as provided in Section 1290.12 of this title; and

6. Comply in good faith with the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

GottaHavePride
1/14/2006, 10:53 PM
they throw around that "legal resident" phrase a lot, but they never tell you exactly what they mean by that. Does that mean I could just go over to DPS, say "I moved here, here are some bank statements to show I have an address, can I have an OK driver's license instead of my Kansas one?" and 6 months later have a concealed-carry permit? 'Cause that'd be awesome.

Okla-homey
1/14/2006, 10:53 PM
Oh yeah, remember this, even licensed carriers generally can't carry on the grounds of a university, college, junior college, high school, etc.

Sooo, if you have your gun when you roll up to the tailgate, you have to leave it locked up in your car.

GottaHavePride
1/14/2006, 10:58 PM
Well, yeah. That doesn't mean I couldn't run to the Wal-Marts while packin' heat, though. ;) although really, if you've got your Kimber 1911 in a hip holster, it's not really concealed, is it?

Okla-homey
1/14/2006, 11:00 PM
they throw around that "legal resident" phrase a lot, but they never tell you exactly what they mean by that. Does that mean I could just go over to DPS, say "I moved here, here are some bank statements to show I have an address, can I have an OK driver's license instead of my Kansas one?" and 6 months later have a concealed-carry permit? 'Cause that'd be awesome.

I'd say if you qualified for in-state tuition, you'd prolly be able to qualify for a license. If not, probably not. Remember, OSBI is going to check you out, and fraudulently attempting to get a concealed carry license is a crime. To be on the safe side, I'd call the OSBI at their toll-free number and ask before sending in the application. The number is 800.207.6724 ( www.osbi.state.ok.us )

Jerk
1/14/2006, 11:08 PM
Where did you take your course, Homie?

I was at a range last weekend where 25 people were taking the concealed carry class, while me and a friend snuck around to the rifle range and shot AR's and FAL's.

You didn't drive all the way to Shawnee, did you?

Okla-homey
1/14/2006, 11:31 PM
Where did you take your course, Homie?

I was at a range last weekend where 25 people were taking the concealed carry class, while me and a friend snuck around to the rifle range and shot AR's and FAL's.

You didn't drive all the way to Shawnee, did you?

Tulsa Firearms Training Academy, 5949 S. Garnett. The guy who taught it has won a bunch of Bianchi Cups. (Kelly Gilmore)

http://www.tulsafirearms.com/

GottaHavePride
1/14/2006, 11:32 PM
I'd say if you qualified for in-state tuition, you'd prolly be able to qualify for a license.
See, that's the weird part about the university, though. I've had an Oklahoma address for 7 years (2 years in this house) and I still can't qualify for in-state tuition because they tack on a clause saying I have to show "intent to live and work in the state of Oklahoma after graduation" to get in-state tuition. That's impossible as a musician - you have to go where the jobs are, and they aren't here.

It may be easier to do like my dad did and get an out-of-state permit from Florida, since about 22 other states honor their permits.

Okla-homey
1/14/2006, 11:40 PM
See, that's the weird part about the university, though. I've had an Oklahoma address for 7 years (2 years in this house) and I still can't qualify for in-state tuition because they tack on a clause saying I have to show "intent to live and work in the state of Oklahoma after graduation" to get in-state tuition. That's impossible as a musician - you have to go where the jobs are, and they aren't here.

It may be easier to do like my dad did and get an out-of-state permit from Florida, since about 22 other states honor their permits.

My advice then would be not to risk getting in trouble by applying for an OK concealed carry license, especially if you don't have a OK DL. Also, I know KS doesn't have concealed carry at all, so as soon as you cross the border, an OK concealed carry license (or one from any other state for that matter) is meaningless.

GottaHavePride
1/14/2006, 11:50 PM
Heh. I can't really think of a reason i'd need one anyway. Heck, I don't even own a handgun of my own at this point. Knowing my luck as soon as I got a permit I'd get a job in Europe and not be allowed to have a gun at all anyway.

Okla-homey
1/14/2006, 11:53 PM
Knowing my luck as soon as I got a permit I'd get a job in Europe and not be allowed to have a gun at all anyway.

But fortunately for the Europeans, they have no violent criminals on the loose over there so its all good.:D

GottaHavePride
1/14/2006, 11:57 PM
But fortunately for the Europeans, they have no violent criminals on the loose over there so its all good.:D
I'd just have to practice killing people with a ball-point pen, like in The Bourne Identity.

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2006, 04:30 AM
Oh yeah, remember this, even licensed carriers generally can't carry on the grounds of a university, college, junior college, high school, etc.

Sooo, if you have your gun when you roll up to the tailgate, you have to leave it locked up in your car.

Or a federally insured financial institution...

ouflak
1/15/2006, 06:43 AM

They're like a bunch bunch of lambs over here..., unless there's a Soccer game involved.

Okla-homey
1/15/2006, 09:21 AM
Or a federally insured financial institution...

or the post office, tag agent or court house.

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2006, 09:24 AM
there are days when i wished i had taken that osbi job.......

normally not on payday though.....

Jerk
1/15/2006, 09:42 AM
there are days when i wished i had taken that osbi job.......

Why? Pray tell! Sounds pretty boring to me, like going through financial statements, doing lab work, testifying in court.

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2006, 09:46 AM
not all osbi agents are working white collar crime.......regardless, while there's a ton of paperwork, it was the career i was suited for, but my age limited me.....its a job i loved doing

Jerk
1/15/2006, 09:48 AM
I personally think that being a Game Warden is the best LEO job...

Too bad you need a biology degree.

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2006, 11:27 AM
or the post office, tag agent or court house.

True!

I've had to kick people out of the branch for attempting to carry a weapon. They just don't get why people carrying guns in the branch makes me nervous...

Okla-homey
1/15/2006, 03:09 PM
True!

I've had to kick people out of the branch for attempting to carry a weapon. They just don't get why people carrying guns in the branch makes me nervous...

In Oklahoma, concealed carriers also must be mindful of one other fact. The statute permits business owners to post "No concealed weapons" signs at the entrance which requires even licensed carriers to leave their piece outside.

Here's the thing though, despite the gloom and doom predicted by the anti-gun crowd, there have not been any episodes of licensed carriers causing a problem in any public place. No vigilante-ism, no shoot outs at high noon. nothing like that.

Here's something to think about. Might the fact that bad guys know there are ordinary looking licensed concealed carriers going about their daily lives make everyone safer? I like to think so.

In my class here in Tulsa there were sweet looking grandmas, jovial grandpas, hawt young women, young guys and normal middle-aged guys like me. I think if I were a bad guy bent on mischief I'd be less inclined to do so knowing there are a lot of people armed moving about our countryside and cities and its virtually impossible to spot them based on their appearance alone.

That said, there are some people who probably shouldn't be licensed even though they meet the criteria as set out in the statute. I'm referring to people who are prone to fits of temper. Personally, I believe every responsible gun owner should ask him or herself if they honestly believe they would not be tempted to pull their gun when (not if, because it will happen) they get badly p1ssed-off by someone.

The simple fact is, no one should carry unless they are reasonably sure they will not draw their pistola unless/until they feel they are at genuine risk of losing their life or suffering serious bodily harm.

For me, having that gun doesn't mean I wouldn't let a bad guy have my wallet, my wife's purse or even our car if I felt that would end it. To do otherwise is inviting personal and financial ruin. I have vowed I will never draw a gun unless I intend to kill my attacker and have no avenue of safe retreat.

BTW, the instructor told us about a business here in town that has a sign in their customer area that states "All our employees are licensed concealed gun carriers." The owner paid for the training for all of his employees. I bet that outfit is pretty safe, whether they all are actually carrying or not.

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2006, 03:18 PM
Hey, I'm all for concealed-carry. I just don't want it in my office. Why? Because every statistic I've seen shows that the presence of weapons inside the branch increases the chances of a staff fatality in a robbery exponentially-regardless of who was armed.

StoopTroup
1/15/2006, 03:24 PM
Don't use your concealed carry permit when boarding a commercial aircraft either.

If you do let me know when your going...I'd like to video tape your arrest at Airport Security. ;)

Okla-homey
1/15/2006, 03:24 PM
Hey, I'm all for concealed-carry. I just don't want it in my office. Why? Because every statistic I've seen shows that the presence of weapons inside the branch increases the chances of a staff fatality in a robbery exponentially-regardless of who was armed.

Yep, just give the perp a bag with the contents of the tellers drawer and breathe a big sigh of relief when he runs out the door.:D

Okla-homey
1/15/2006, 03:26 PM
BTW Froze, what is the law in AK? Can you still walk around downtown Skagway with a hogleg strapped to your hip?

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2006, 05:48 PM
Yep, just give the perp a bag with the contents of the tellers drawer and breathe a big sigh of relief when he runs out the door.:D

Exactly. Money is insured for value. Your life isn't.

I'm not ashamed to say that I've been involved in a couple of robberies and was just happy that nobody got hurt. In both cases the perp got away with less than 2k and was apprehended by the authorities in less than a month.

And to answer your second question, I'm pretty sure that it's constitutionally protected as a right to carry a weapon in Alaska so long as it is not concealed and doesn't interfere with applicable federal law.

soonerbrat
1/15/2006, 05:58 PM
Currently, the license costs $125.00 (100.00 to OSBI and 25.00 for the local sheriff's dept) for a five-year license, renewable for 85.00 every five years thereafter. Additionally, an OSBI approved training course must be completed before application, but the training is good for life. It costs around 100.00.

When I took the course last weekend, the instructor informed us there are about 25,000 Okies licensed to carry. Unfortunately, there are probably a couple hundred thousand folks carrying concealed handguns illegally.

Without one of these licenses, it is illegal in OK to carry a concealed weapon, which includes having a loaded handgun within the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle.
Here are the licensing requirements in some detail.

In accordance with the Oklahoma Self Defense Act (Title 21 O.S. Section 1290.1 et seq.)

yes, but it's perfectly legal to carry one in plain sight, i.e. on the passenger seat, providing, of course that you are not a convicted felon.

:D

where did you take the class?

Okla-homey
1/15/2006, 08:29 PM
yes, but it's perfectly legal to carry one in plain sight, i.e. on the passenger seat, providing, of course that you are not a convicted felon.

:D

where did you take the class?

But it can't be loaded unless you have a CC license. Ammunition and gun have to be seperate (ammo in locked glove compartment probably okay, trunk definitely okay.)

I took the class at Tulsa Firearms Training Academy on S. Garnett.

soonerbrat
1/15/2006, 08:31 PM
hmmm..i got different information.

I took the class thru the OCPD at the gun range.

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2006, 08:38 PM
what the hell good is an unloaded gun? you might as well just keep a brick in the car......

get the license and carry it legally, but dont ever ever ever pull out an unloaded gun

and on the same note, dont pull out a loaded gun unless you are fully capable of pulling that trigger

soonerbrat
1/15/2006, 08:41 PM
oh, i can pull the trigger, trust me

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2006, 08:43 PM
i didnt say you couldnt!

i was just speaking in general terms....i've seen the results of both an unloaded gun in a gun fight and a bluff with a loaded gun.....

Okla-homey
1/15/2006, 09:16 PM
hmmm..i got different information.

I took the class thru the OCPD at the gun range.

Brat,
Either those guys taught you wrong or you misunderstood. Here's what the law says (Title 21 sec. 1289.6)

B. A person shall be permitted to carry unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, open and not concealed and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act pursuant to the following conditions:

1. When going to or from the person's private residence or vehicle or a vehicle in which the person is riding as a passenger to a place designated or authorized for firearms repairs or reconditioning, or for firearms trade, sale, or barter, or gunsmith, or hunting animals or fowl, or hunter safety course, or target shooting, or skeet or trap shooting or any recognized firearms activity or event and while in such places; or

2. For any legitimate purpose not in violation of the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971, Sections 1289.1 through 1289.17 of this title.

soonerboomer93
1/15/2006, 09:25 PM
Well, yeah. That doesn't mean I couldn't run to the Wal-Marts while packin' heat, though. ;) although really, if you've got your Kimber 1911 in a hip holster, it's not really concealed, is it?

i'm pretty sure if you can't carry a firearm into a place that sells alcohol