PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feel like this team doesn't care?

birddog
1/14/2006, 06:32 PM
It just seems like there isn't any energy coming from anyone, including the bench. All of our guys seem really bored. I sat about 2 inches behind the bench at the WVU game and I was shocked by the lack of enthusiasm we showed. This is the first year I've ever seen this out of a Sampson team. You look at all the years in the past when you could see the bench getting everyone going and it really helped. Hopefully we'll get it sorted out before the NIT becomes a hopeful dream instead of a nightmare.

NickZeppelin
1/14/2006, 06:34 PM
That is about the dumbest post ever. They sure didn't look like they didn't care when they came back and took the lead and started celebrating.

Jay C. Upchurch
1/14/2006, 06:40 PM
This has got to be a joke thread, right?

birddog
1/14/2006, 06:40 PM
Are you serious? Famous Nick is saying that? That's hilarious. There is no way there is as much energy from our guys than in years past. I don't know why. Hopefully Kelvin knows and gets it taken care of. We'll see. And don't confuse a lack of energy with being ecstatic over a last second win. I didn't say they didn't have a pulse.

birddog
1/14/2006, 06:43 PM
This has got to be a joke thread, right?
No, just stating my observations. We just don't have that leader right now that gets everyone going. You tell me who you think that guy is?

Jay C. Upchurch
1/14/2006, 06:48 PM
There is a huge difference between not having a bona fide leader and an entire team not showing energy.

Engery is not a problem with this team. Getting certain players to play smart and put the ball in the hole is the problem.

OU went into the game leading the Big 12 Conference in free throw shooting. Today, the Sooners go 8-of-18 from the line. Yet, they found a way to win.

Maybe Terrell Everett knocking down that game-winning 3 will get his season pointed in the right direction.

birddog
1/14/2006, 06:55 PM
There is a huge difference between not having a bona fide leader and an entire team not showing energy.

Engery is not a problem with this team. Getting certain players to play smart and put the ball in the hole is the problem.

OU went into the game leading the Big 12 Conference in free throw shooting. Today, the Sooners go 8-of-18 from the line. Yet, they found a way to win.

Maybe Terrell Everett knocking down that game-winning 3 will get his season pointed in the right direction.
I agree with that. But usuallt Kelvin has a leader that everyone rallies around, someone everyone feeds off, like Hollis or Ed. Mostly everyone says Everett is the leader of this team and he's quiet as a mouse. And obviously a lack of energy is a relative term but in years past our guys were usually much more into the game than it seems like this year.

Jay C. Upchurch
1/14/2006, 07:06 PM
Yes, Everett is supposed to be one of the main leaders on this team. And he has definitely not lived up to that role, especially lately.

He played better today in the second half after playing poorly again in the first half. Again, maybe that last shot and his effort down the stretch will carry over, give him a shot of confidence and get him playing more consistently better.

In my mind, he is the key to this team's success the rest of the way.

Big John
1/14/2006, 07:08 PM
I think that OU is playing the way that they are playing because
1. Injuries
2. Early season losses killed their confidence
3. Transfers of McKenzie, Lavender
4. With teams already knowing how OUs offense was going to work at the start of the season (Two good post players returning for thier senior seasons), teams have gameplanned to try and keep Bookout and Gray from dominating in the paint like they have in the past

JohnnyMack
1/14/2006, 07:45 PM
I think they care, I just don't think they're as good as they were hyped up to be.

I also think I'd trade Everett, Griffin and future considerations for a point guard.

boomersooner82
1/14/2006, 07:50 PM
I think the team as a whole cares... I wonder sometimes about Godbold though. Lazy passes, not hustling... he needs to wake up. He's better than that.

birddog
1/14/2006, 09:50 PM
FROM OU MONSTER......
This team needs a player (or at least more players) with the Hollis Price, Nate Erdmann, Core Brewer mentality. This team just looks like they're going through the motions with zero fire and zero intensity. It's sad that Sampson has to call timeouts to encourage them to play harder EVERY game.

Losing to Quin Snyder twice in a row on our own court is embarassing in its own right

This is from the Mizzou game thread. That about sums it up.

stoopified
1/15/2006, 12:29 AM
NO,I think at times they care too much and are trying to do too much.Everett is first on that list in my mindAustin Johnson seems to be trying too hard as weel.partly because of youth and partly because he cares.Many of our turnovers (which are our biggest bugaboo) result from trying make big plays in key situations,at least IMHO