PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Outlook - A couple of Questions

Down Field Pitch
1/14/2006, 11:46 AM
After all was said and done the 2005 team actually performed in the range of where I feared they would be at the beginning of the season. I figured them to perform similiar to one of Barrys rebuilding seasons in the 3-4 loss range. The top 5 ranking was just ridiculous as was quickly proved breaking in a freshman QB. I did not anticipate the injury problems with AD or the pre-fall injuries and defections and the lines.
Still after the season ran its course there we were at 4 or(3) losses depending on how you count the high plains robbery/spectacle at Tech.

Now with my optimizm for next year sky high here are a few questions I need to get up to speeed on.

1. Can someone post the 2006 schedule?

2. Coaching Staff Gameplan on the Offensive Line - How many JUCO's need to or are going to play. Are there any top freshman or RSFr good enough to contribute . Can this area be managed well enough to keep Bomar from going down. (Looked like he was on the brink
of serious injury nearly every game this year)

3. Is the Wide Reciever Unit Special??- Unit looks like like it is getting ready to explode into a leathal weapon. What does next years depth chart look like ?? At what point does QCheney start getting playing time?? How about Holmes?

4.How about last years Freshman LB's - Which of the three hot shots got a redshirt. I thought I saw Reynolds on the field in a game or two. That seems bizaare to me if he lost the redshirt for that small of a role.

5.What is Wrong with M. Walkers Shoulder ??- Who else could step up and play corner besides moving Smith from safety. (Could Harris play the position?)

BASSooner
1/14/2006, 11:51 AM
1. sorry cant find
2. Sherrone Moore I think will start instantly and Brandon Walker if he signs
3. ummm YEAH!!!! Holmes has more to prove...Cheny have no clue
4.Im gonna say lofton or robinson
5.no clue I really hope he gets better. I' say we either play Harris who is an interception machine or Keenan clayton who is a tackling machine.

OU-HSV
1/14/2006, 11:53 AM
Here's the schedule that soonerstats.com shows

Date
Opponent

9/2
TBA

9/9
Washington

9/16
at Oregon

9/23
UAB

9/30
at Oklahoma State4

10/7
vs Texas

10/14
Iowa State

10/21
Colorado

10/28
at Missouri

11/4
at Texas A&M

11/11
Texas Tech

11/18
at Baylor

11/25
Open

12/2
Big 12 Championship
(Kansas City)

OU-HSV
1/14/2006, 12:08 PM
After all was said and done the 2005 team actually performed in the range of where I feared they would be at the beginning of the season. I figured them to perform similiar to one of Barrys rebuilding seasons in the 3-4 loss range. The top 5 ranking was just ridiculous as was quickly proved breaking in a freshman QB. I did not anticipate the injury problems with AD or the pre-fall injuries and defections and the lines.
Still after the season ran its course there we were at 4 or(3) losses depending on how you count the high plains robbery/spectacle at Tech.

Now with my optimizm for next year sky high here are a few questions I need to get up to speeed on.

1. Can someone post the 2006 schedule?

2. Coaching Staff Gameplan on the Offensive Line - How many JUCO's need to or are going to play. Are there any top freshman or RSFr good enough to contribute . Can this area be managed well enough to keep Bomar from going down. (Looked like he was on the brink

3. Is the Wide Reciever Unit Special??- Unit looks like like it is getting ready to explode into a leathal weapon. What does next years depth chart look like ?? At what point does QCheney start getting playing time?? How about Holmes?

4.How about last years Freshman LB's - Which of the three hot shots got a redshirt. I thought I saw Reynolds on the field in a game or two. That seems bizaare to me if he lost the redshirt for that small of a role.

5.What is Wrong with M. Walkers Shoulder ??- Who else could step up and play corner besides moving Smith from safety. (Could Harris play the position?)
To answer your number 2..I think the O-Line will be much improved. I think (as BASSooner said) Moore will have an immediate impact. I think Rhett will get hit less in the backfield...but it seems to be his style to take hits when he's running for + yardage. That is where Josh will help as the QB coach (not to mention as the QB coach, he will obviously look to improve Rhett's passing).
To contribute to your #3...I look for our WR's to have a great upcoming season..and the next few seasons to come...they have shown sparks of greatness IMO. And with Rhett's season of experience, I think he'll have a better year through the air.
About your #5: I think Allen Patrick could be utilized at CB if needed, we brought him in as a coverage guy (turns out he's a helluva RB as well.)

NickZeppelin
1/14/2006, 12:10 PM

How often do JUCOs have success on the OL? I hope we just have 5 OLinemen that work together

If Kelly and Iglaseas are there then they'll be fine. Holmes and Chaney are probably average at best.

Lamont Robinson redshirted. That's it. Lofton and Reynolds played some.

Harris is a safety. We have Clayton, Jackson ando ther young guys who can play corner. Walker's shoulder is always a question mark

sooners2win
1/14/2006, 01:41 PM
Reynolds played on specials teams almost all year.

TXBOOMER
1/14/2006, 02:33 PM
1. Done

2. O Line Cooper (Center), Messner (RT), Quinn (RG), will probably start-------Barresi - Braxton - Robinson - Schacht and the JUCO tranfer Moore will probably compete for the other three spots (throw Jesse White in there if he can properly rehab and get ready for the season). I think they will be much improved over last year because of experienc and another spring in the program.

3. WR's - Tons of talent, MK, MJ, and JI are gonna be studs, hopefully some of the others can step up.

4. JUCO transfer Chris Patterson will play the SAM linebacker if he is eligible. He weighs about 225 right now, plays like he's 250 and runs like a sprinter. This kid has a chance to be special if he can keep his grades. Watch out for him, he is a freaking stud.

5. Hopefully Marcus Walker heels and rehabs and can go, if not Williams or Carter will be fine back there.

The D should be great next year. Boomer Sooner

GoOwls
1/14/2006, 05:28 PM
With regard to the wide receivers, I wouldn't be suprised to see Adron Tennel getting significant playing time by midseason. From what I've seen, he's a Malcolm Kelly clone.

westcoast_sooner
1/14/2006, 05:30 PM
Assuming Adron Tennell signs/qualifies and all that, how does he fit in with the new batch of WRs (Kelly, Iglesias, MJ)? Does Murray give us more versatility in the backfield like Kejuan - catching the ball coming out of the backfield, throwing blocks, etc.? How does he fit in with AD?

GoOwls
1/14/2006, 05:49 PM
I don't see Tennell replacing either Kelly, Iglesias or Manuel. I could see a 4 receiver rotation for 3 spots (kinda like 04 with Wilson, Bradley, Clayton, and BJones).

Murray is still a wild card in my opinion. He'll see the field, but there's no telling in what regard.

TXBOOMER
1/14/2006, 11:36 PM
I think Adron has a lot of talent, but based on the WR's he is coming in behind I hope he redshirts. Chaney, Holmes, Huggins, Strong and Ross behind the three freshman that started at the end of the year is as deep of a talent pool anywhere in the NCAA. But hey, more power to him if he can make an impact.

Down Field Pitch
1/15/2006, 09:43 AM
I was under the impression that Tristen Ross was out of school/ off team etc. He had an excellent spring with the exception of the spring game.

Nick Zep - On Holmes & Cheney - I know that Holmes hurt his chances early because of fumbling in a big game but was still viewed as having big potential. I never quite understood the issues with Cheney after the fall hype. Missed a TD ball at UCLA and he was never heard from again.

Have the coaches lost confidence??

westcoast_sooner
1/15/2006, 03:40 PM
Holmes had fumble problems against UCLA and it seemed like one other time. He's going to have to hang onto the ball IN A GAME to regain confidence from the coaching staff and his QB.

If we have enough depth at WR, and if he comes in and needs additional work, then I agree that Tennell could RS. We already have a good corps of WRs with Kelly, Iglesias and Manuel, and if some of the other guys have good Springs practices, then that might be the way to go. He played well on the Army AA game and I am anxious to see him in the Crimson and Cream.

I guess the question about Murray is whether to RS him, and let AP stay at RB, or to use Murray in the backfield this season, and move AP back to DB? Would that help the team? Would having more DBs be a good thing? How quickly could Patrick pick up the DB schemes? Could he do it quickly enough to be effective?

StoopTroup
1/15/2006, 03:45 PM
9/2 is really bothering me.