View Full Version : Now we have --- Best Team Seasons

Blues1
1/14/2006, 10:01 AM
Well atleast they got 2000 Sooners #3 ....Guess who's # 1 ----

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5242552

Still R'

sooneron
1/14/2006, 10:05 AM
Wow, wat to capitalize on the current and quickly fading hype!
The 95 bugeaters would school the whorns of this year. UTerus' quality wins column is a joke! CU? Mizz? KU?

Big Red Ron
1/14/2006, 10:06 AM
UL Laff. is a quality win? WTF?

Big Red Ron
1/14/2006, 10:08 AM
Wow, wat to capitalize on the current and quickly fading hype!
The 95 bugeaters would school the whorns of this year. UTerus' quality wins column is a joke! CU? Mizz? KU?2000 Sooners would whip either one. 2000 OU played the more difficult schedule than either one.

soonerworks
1/14/2006, 10:26 AM
how many top 5 teams did ou play in 2000

Light Beer
1/14/2006, 10:26 AM
Just give it some time to let the dust settle. Afterall, USC wasn't really that great on defense this year. But Texas should be up there in the top 3-5.

Texas did beat
#4 Ohio St.
#10 Tech
#1 USC

Big Red Ron
1/14/2006, 10:40 AM
how many top 5 teams did ou play in 2000I think four. I do remember that we were the first team in CF history to beat #1 & #2 in consecutive weeks. Also, we had to beat KSU TWICE in Kansas.

Another reason we should be ranked ahead of 1995 Neb. is that we had to play a conference championship game against a tom 10 team then we had to go play #2 FSU in Florida.

That team was scary good!

SoonerInKCMO
1/14/2006, 11:17 AM
I think four. I do remember that we were the first team in CF history to beat #1 & #2 in consecutive weeks. Also, we had to beat KSU TWICE in Kansas.

Just cuz I'm a nitpicky kinda guy - the second game was in Missouri.

tommie15
1/14/2006, 11:42 AM
I think four. I do remember that we were the first team in CF history to beat #1 & #2 in consecutive weeks. Also, we had to beat KSU TWICE in Kansas.

Another reason we should be ranked ahead of 1995 Neb. is that we had to play a conference championship game against a tom 10 team then we had to go play #2 FSU in Florida.

That team was scary good!

Scary good = 95 Nebraska

Defeated 4 teams that finished in the top ten that year, the closest of those 4 games was 23 points

To say 2000 OU would "whoop" 95 Nebraska is pretty ignorant

Big Red Ron
1/14/2006, 11:57 AM
To say 2000 OU would "whoop" 95 Nebraska is pretty ignorantwhat a joke of a statement. You are ranked ONE spot ahead of OU on this list and OU beat SIX teams that finished in the top 15 and is still the only school to beat #1 and #2 back to back.

HuskerPower
1/14/2006, 12:00 PM
I like how the top 4 teams are Big 12 schools.

Big Red Ron
1/14/2006, 12:01 PM
To say 2000 OU would "whoop" 95 Nebraska is pretty ignorantBTW, ignorant is quoting someone incorrectly. I said whip not "whoop."

tommie15
1/14/2006, 12:11 PM
BTW, ignorant is quoting someone incorrectly. I said whip not "whoop."

You're reaching now aren't you?

Yes, OU's 2000 team was very impressive. However, there were a couple of close games by the way ~ A&M, Big XII Champ. To say that team would "whip" (I am assuming this mean 14+ points) a team that is considered by many to be the greatest of the modern era is ignorant.

By the way, thanks for the anonymous red...

Big Red Ron
1/14/2006, 12:21 PM
15 - get over yourself. Yes we played a couple of close games but then again we played a HARDER schedule and a CONFERNCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME against a top ten team that we already had to beat on the road. 1995 Neb was a really good football team but the 2000 Sooner's defense and QB were better than 1995 Neb.

Big Red Ron
1/14/2006, 12:24 PM
Scary good = 95 Nebraska

Defeated 4 teams that finished in the top ten that year, the closest of those 4 games Actually it was only three. http://sharkfeet.tripod.com/oddsends/1995_Huskers.htm

tommie15
1/14/2006, 12:29 PM
Actually it was only three. http://sharkfeet.tripod.com/oddsends/1995_Huskers.htm

No, it was four.

http://www.huskerpedia.com/1990s.html#1995

And I don't know how many sooners would say Heupel was better than Frazier. Both of the defenses were very nasty, but the Husker offense was better than 2000 OUs.

I would like to hear from some other Sooners on this.

TheLadiesMike
1/14/2006, 03:13 PM
Quality Wins: 9. UL Lafayette, at Ohio State, at Missouri, Oklahoma, Colorado, Texas Tech, Kansas, Colorado, USC

This is ridiculous and makes the rest of the rankings suspect.

This reminds me of those "studies" that list the fattest cities using factors like the amount of parks and greenspace and cost of health care.

goingoneight
1/14/2006, 04:15 PM
Note: greatest team "evar" isn't even in the top-ten... hahahaha!!! LMAO!

goingoneight
1/14/2006, 04:16 PM
Hey, they misspelled Vince Young 2005 at Number One...

sooneron
1/14/2006, 04:20 PM
I think the 00 OU team would beat 95 NU in a squeaker. Our run D was too solid.

Octavian
1/14/2006, 04:23 PM
And I don't know how many sooners would say Heupel was better than Frazier.

I dont wanna take anything away from Frazier b/c he deserves every bit of praise he gets....but Nebraska was so good then that backup Brook Beringer was able to led them to an undefeated season in 94 while Tommie was being pumped full of bloodthinners.

You won't find many Sooners that will say anyone was a better college quarterback than Josh Heupel.

As for who would win between 95 NU and 00 OU....could we play it in Norman? ;)

Cam
1/14/2006, 04:25 PM
And I don't know how many sooners would say Heupel was better than Frazier.
Anybody who knows anything about the sport wouldn't compare the two. They played in totally different styles of offense. Put Josh in NU's offense and Frazier in OU's, and none of us would want to remember that either of them were QB's.

Soonerman08
1/14/2006, 04:53 PM
Anybody who knows anything about the sport wouldn't compare the two. They played in totally different styles of offense. Put Josh in NU's offense and Frazier in OU's, and none of us would want to remember that either of them were QB's.

I gotta agree on with Cam on this one. I give 2000 OU the edge because of defense, but only slightly.

Big Red Ron
1/14/2006, 05:47 PM
Frazier is right up there with Jamelle Holliway when it comes to option QB's. I would take Josh over either one though. Our defense was better than 1995 Neb.

tommie15
1/14/2006, 05:53 PM
Frazier and Heupel were both QBs with an otherworldly will to win. Both were excellent leaders. However, Tommie led NU to 3 straight national championship games, winning 2, and was the MVP of all 3. I know Heupel only had 2 years, but only a few other quaterbacks accomplished the things that Frazier did.

In 2000, OU's defense gave up 3.47 yards per rushed against opponents averaging 4.19 yds/att, a difference of -.72. In 95, NU allowed 3.02 yards/rush against opponents averaging 4.72, a difference of -1.70. In 2000, OU allowed 4.58 yards per pass attempt against teams averaging 6.07, a difference of -1.49. In 95, NU allowed 5.6 yards per pass attempt against opponent averaging 6.25, a difference of -.65.

Total D:
95 NU: 303 yards per game
00 OU: 281 yards per game

Both excellent defenses, NUs better against the run and OUs better against the pass - both created large amounts of turnovers.

But, Nebraska's offense was much more potent. That year, the "pipeline" on the OL reached its peak, culminating with one of the most dominating offensive lines ever seen. Running behind it were Lawrence Phillips (no matter what he did off the field, he was an incredible back), Ahman Green, and Tommie Frazier.

I don't think any team in history stays within 10 points of that team.

We'll agree to disagree. Oh, an quit with the red...I'll just ask Veritas for some more green! :D

tbl
1/14/2006, 05:54 PM
UL Laff. is a quality win? WTF?

My thoughts exactly. How was our win over Rice in 2000 considered a bad win while ULALA is quality? That automatically discredits the entire poll.

SoonerInKCMO
1/14/2006, 06:01 PM
My thoughts exactly. How was our win over Rice in 2000 considered a bad win while ULALA is quality? That automatically discredits the entire poll.

They define the terms on the site.

Big Red Ron
1/14/2006, 06:04 PM
Frazier and Heupel were both QBs with an otherworldly will to win. Both were excellent leaders. However, Tommie led NU to 3 straight national championship games, winning 2, and was the MVP of all 3. I know Heupel only had 2 years, but only a few other quaterbacks accomplished the things that Frazier did.

In 2000, OU's defense gave up 3.47 yards per rushed against opponents averaging 4.19 yds/att, a difference of -.72. In 95, NU allowed 3.02 yards/rush against opponents averaging 4.72, a difference of -1.70. In 2000, OU allowed 4.58 yards per pass attempt against teams averaging 6.07, a difference of -1.49. In 95, NU allowed 5.6 yards per pass attempt against opponent averaging 6.25, a difference of -.65.

Total D:
95 NU: 303 yards per game
00 OU: 281 yards per game

Both excellent defenses, NUs better against the run and OUs better against the pass - both created large amounts of turnovers.

But, Nebraska's offense was much more potent. That year, the "pipeline" on the OL reached its peak, culminating with one of the most dominating offensive lines ever seen. Running behind it were Lawrence Phillips (no matter what he did off the field, he was an incredible back), Ahman Green, and Tommie Frazier.

We'll agree to disagree. Oh, an quit with the red...I'll just ask Veritas for some more green! :DAgain, OU played a tougher schedule and has BETTER defensive stats. Josh played two seasons and was runner up for the Heisman to a 28 year old pro baseball player. We Sooner fans do know a tad :rolleyes: about option football. That 1995 offense wasn't even the best option offense I've seen. Very good but not Jamelle Holliway or Thomas Lott good. 2000 OU's offense was balanced and better than 1995 Neb. Although we are splitting hairs to some degree.

tommie15
1/14/2006, 06:10 PM
Again, OU played a tougher schedule and has BETTER defensive stats. Josh played two seasons and was runner up for the Heisman to a 28 year old pro baseball player. We Sooner fans do know a tad :rolleyes: about option football. That 1995 offense wasn't even the best option offense I've seen. Very good but not Jamelle Holliway or Thomas Lott good. 2000 OU's offense was balanced and better than 1995 Neb. Although we are splitting hairs to some degree.

I'm glad you know option offense. That's why you'd know that the 95 team used more power football than option. They average 399.5 yard per game ON THE GROUND! Your homerism is outweighing my homerism in this one.

Big Red Ron
1/14/2006, 06:12 PM
Your homerism is outweighing my homerism in this one.Pot meet kettle. Enjoy your downward spiral. Callenberger needs a contract extension.:texan:

tommie15
1/14/2006, 06:15 PM
Pot meet kettle. Enjoy your downward spiral. Callenberger needs a contract extension.:texan:

Well, 29 responses was longer than I tought it would take...

Big Red Ron
1/14/2006, 06:25 PM
Somebody drop this fool.

SoonerInKCMO
1/14/2006, 06:32 PM
Somebody drop this fool.

Yes, let's. Anyone that would dare to disagree with the self-evident fact that the 2000 OU team was the best of all time is a fool in need of dropping. :rolleyes:

Big Red Ron
1/14/2006, 06:38 PM
Yes, let's. Anyone that would dare to disagree with the self-evident fact that the 2000 OU team was the best of all time is a fool in need of dropping. :rolleyes:Reread his exact comments from the top, look at where we are discussing the matter and do the math. I didn't go to a Neb. board and try to convince them of this.

Octavian
1/14/2006, 08:17 PM

True. But again, in 94 Beringer quarterbacked Nebraska through 8 or 9 games to get Dr. Tom to that Orange Bowl win over Miami.

Many would agree w/ that. Just not us.

Oh, an quit with the red...I'll just ask Veritas for some more green! :D

I'm not certain, but I doubt V would appreciate you dropping his name like that.

josh09
1/14/2006, 10:33 PM
cmon guys you cant take this seriously. its MSN were talking about. they dont know anything about college football. or at least not as much as espn and all those websites. 2004 USC should be up there too.

josh09
1/14/2006, 10:34 PM
man, when texass gets a bandwagon, everyone jumps on it, including msn i guess.

stupid, stupid people.

Veritas
1/15/2006, 02:28 AM
95 Bugeaters would own all. Including 2000 Sooners.

Gotta be a homer sometimes. :D

And the Verittitay has been working mad hours. Hence the absenteeism. If you've noticed.

And JFC, how much can we obsess about the whorns?

**** TEXAS. Call it the Tanqueray doing the talking, but goddamn. Stay true to the red, regardless of the shade, and commit to kicking the **** out of them in 06.

Texas Golfer
1/15/2006, 06:04 PM
The '95 Nebraska team was awesome but even with Phillips, Green, and Frazier, they didn't average the ground yardage of the Sooners of the 70s.

josh09
1/15/2006, 06:29 PM
The '95 Nebraska team was awesome but even with Phillips, Green, and Frazier, they didn't average the ground yardage of the Sooners of the 70s.

agreed sir

RiddlerOK
1/16/2006, 01:08 AM
Maybe we should start a "My 5 greatest teams of all time" poll and see what shakes out. :)

Boffingham
1/16/2006, 01:44 AM
I could care less which team from the past was better. Let's get our crap toghther and make 2006 a good season. Fox and ESPN are sucking you in to their boring monotony of "has beens" and "what if's" that some geek behind a computer 20 hours out of the day has concockted (i know the spelling is wrong.)

Egeo
1/16/2006, 03:22 AM
imagine a world where everyone is 22 years old, if you were choosing a team of players and you had to choose from the 70's sooners or 90's nebraska team

from a physical standpoint the latter team would be stronger

also this is a stupid argument... no one knows which team would be better
they were both great, and we should leave it at that

Big Red Ron
1/16/2006, 12:36 PM
from a physical standpoint the latter team would be stronger

I disagree. The athletes in the 70's were not that much different. Especially when you account for the scholorship limits in the 90's. OU has second stringers getting drafted in the NFL in the 70's. Our first stringers were every bit as good as the Neb. first stringers.

MI Sooner
1/16/2006, 06:01 PM
Does anyone know why we get 1.5 quality wins for beating the same team (KSU) twice?

That seems arbitrary.