PDA

View Full Version : Gary Gibbs

MiccoMacey
1/13/2006, 04:32 PM
1st Time Caller's brother and I were having a discussion today about Gary Gibbs.

Does he deserve another chance as a HC somewhere? Surely, he's grown and matured as a coach.

I look at all the other people who get second chances, and I'm struck why someone with a great defensive football mind doesn't get an offer to coach somewhere.

1stTimeCaller
1/13/2006, 04:36 PM
I think he should. And seriously, you shouldn't talk to him, he's retarded. ;)

crawfish
1/13/2006, 04:37 PM
I think he should. And seriously, you shouldn't talk to him, he's retarded. ;)

I see it runs in the family. :P

Flagstaffsooner
1/13/2006, 04:38 PM
Nice guy, great defensive mind, but lets face it, not exactly a dynamic personality.
His coaches show was like looking at "Good Morning Nebraska".:rolleyes:

LifelongSooner
1/13/2006, 04:40 PM
Gibbs did what he was hired to do--clean up the program after The King was forced out. He ran a clean program, and PR was very good while he was there. He just didn't seem to have the go for the jugular mentality. He was a good HC, to a degree, but lacked the killer instinct. IMHO

NormanPride
1/13/2006, 04:43 PM
I would hire him on the condition that he had to take crack daily. That would make his tenure interesting enough.

OUstud
1/13/2006, 04:45 PM
If someone like, say, Kent State, a team no one cares about or knows isn't short for Kentucky State, fires their coach, if I were their AD, I'd take a chance.

NickZeppelin
1/13/2006, 04:46 PM
Maybe in the NFL some day. I don't think he has the skills as a recruiter in college.

1stTimeCaller
1/13/2006, 04:48 PM
Maybe in the NFL some day. I don't think he has the skills as a recruiter in college.

Nick, you might wanna leave the Gary Gibbs discussion to the folks that have actually bought and drank a Crystal Pepsi.

tennsooner
1/13/2006, 04:50 PM
Seems to me he would get another chance. I can remember that it seemed to me he was trying to be the Tom Landry of college football. I can remember many saying it was more fun to watch Switzer lose than watch Gibbs win.:)

oumartin
1/13/2006, 04:53 PM
Nick was three when Gibbs was coach and yet he knows so much.

NickZeppelin
1/13/2006, 04:56 PM
Nick, you might wanna leave the Gary Gibbs discussion to the folks that have actually bought and drank a Crystal Pepsi.

Crystal Pepsi is newer then you think. I remember those real well.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/13/2006, 04:59 PM
Gibbs did what he was hired to do--clean up the program after The King was forced out. He ran a clean program, and PR was very good while he was there. He just didn't seem to have the go for the jugular mentality. He was a good HC, to a degree, but lacked the killer instinct. IMHO

define clean ;)

you are on crack. he signed the #1 player in the nation either twice or thrice (not sure if beavers was a switzer or his recruit because of the non-qual garbage).

BoomerJack
1/13/2006, 05:00 PM
I too wonder if Gibbs has been approached about another college HC job or not. Perhaps our friends in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area could comment about past rumors linking Gibbs with any other colleges or even NFL HC jobs.

picasso
1/13/2006, 05:07 PM
I liked his demeanor but not his record vs. Texas. He started the slide and I was there to witness it.
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory was the creed.

Widescreen
1/13/2006, 05:12 PM
I remember the game against Nebraska where we had the lead and Gibbs goes into a shell. We fumble it, it gets picked up for a TD and we lose. Typical day at the office.

1stTimeCaller
1/13/2006, 05:15 PM
His biggest mistake was breaking the coaching Golden Rule.

Never follow a legend.

picasso
1/13/2006, 05:27 PM
I remember the game against Nebraska where we had the lead and Gibbs goes into a shell. We fumble it, it gets picked up for a TD and we lose. Typical day at the office.
that happened against Texas, right in front of me. Mike McKinley to Bubba Jacques. not Gibbs fault on the fumble, but...

I also recall the '91 Gator Bowl when we shredded Virginia with the forward pass. OC Larry Cokehead was quoted as saying we wanted to throw more in the Big 12 but the weather wouldn't allow it. heh.

JohnnyMack
1/13/2006, 05:29 PM
Nick, you might wanna leave the Gary Gibbs discussion to the folks that have actually bought and done Crystal meth.

What the hell does your mom know about sooner football?

okienole3
1/13/2006, 05:29 PM
He will be a d coordinator in the NFL...soon.

MiccoMacey
1/13/2006, 05:33 PM
What the hell does your mom know about sooner football?

His mom's name is Crystal?

picasso
1/13/2006, 05:35 PM
that happened against Texas, right in front of me. Mike McKinley to Bubba Jacques. not Gibbs fault on the fumble, but...

I also recall the '91 Gator Bowl when we shredded Virginia with the forward pass. OC Larry Cokehead was quoted as saying we wanted to throw more in the Big 12 but the weather wouldn't allow it. heh.
check that. Big 8.:D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/13/2006, 05:36 PM
:O
If someone like, say, Kent State, a team no one cares about or knows isn't short for Kentucky State, fires their coach, if I were their AD, I'd take a chance. That's noble of you. Let's see, if a team that doesn't really care whether they are competitive needs a coach, then Gary's the guy... Naw, he's a position coach only.

1stTimeCaller
1/13/2006, 05:36 PM
JM's just mad that when he sees his mom she has bruises on her forehead from the headboard and her knees have carpet burns. ;)

1stTimeCaller
1/13/2006, 05:37 PM
Gary Gibbs would make a good hire for an upper level program.

LifelongSooner
1/13/2006, 05:43 PM
From the Chronicle. SHOW ME THE MONEY............

December 16, 2005
Why A&M didn't hire Gary Gibbs
As Texas A&M gets set to introduce Gary Darnell as its new defensive coordinator some interesting revelations are surfacing on why the deal with Dallas Cowboys linebackers coach Gary Gibbs fell apart Wednesday.

Those close to Gibbs contend that it came down to a control issue where hiring and firing were concerned on the defensive side of the football. The problem there is another defensive coordinator candidate who had informal talks with insiders of the program was told that personnel would be left completely up to him if he was hired. The only defensive assistant who could not be touched is defensive line coach Stan Eggen, who has been with Dennis Franchione since New Mexico and is considered the Aggies best recruiter.

What seems more likely is the deal became undone over money. According to sources with knowledge of the talks say Gibbs wanted guaranteed years and an annual salary of $400,000, which would have made him the highest paid defensive coordinator in the country, by far exceeding the known-best of $333,000 Arkansas has guaranteed its defensive coordinator for three years.

Apparently, A&M was willing to pay Gibbs $330,000 annually, which is a sizeable increase from the $275,000 Carl Torbush made this season.

That left Franchione no choice but to turn to Darnell, whom he has known and been friends with since they worked together on the Kansas State staff during the late 1970s and early 1980s.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/13/2006, 05:43 PM
like at georgia and then lsu?

1stTimeCaller
1/13/2006, 05:48 PM
I didn't realize he was the head coach at those two universities. My bad.

Remembering Tom Stidham
1/13/2006, 05:56 PM
I knew Gary when he became a graduate assistant, and liked him. He had a wonderful family life and alcohol was never a problem. His lack of charisma and high-pitched voice diminished his ability as a recruiter. He was a very bright guy and eventually developed into a quality defensive coordinator (despite rushing only 3 linemen in trying to stop John Elway in a humiliating loss at Norman). His unusual personality came across as "cold" and he had great difficulty developing relationships with his defensive athletes. He was not warmly liked by other staff members. Donnie hired him to replace Barry for the reason already stated. We were on the verge of serious penalties from the NCAA and Gary was known throughout college football as "Mr. Clean." Barry resigned just before fall practice was to begin to protect Gary and the remaining staff. By this time, Gary's wide streak of insecurity was ruling his coaching efforts. He absolutely refused to delegate responsibility, and was quick to fault others for their failures. Years after he was fired, he admitted he had never been qualified to be a head coach.

Jeanne's serious auto accident while returning to their Norman home was a terrible shock to Gary and their children. I strongly believe Gary might not want another head coaching opportunity, although the Dallas press has praised his work with the Cowboy linebackers.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/13/2006, 06:17 PM
I didn't realize he was the head coach at those two universities. My bad.

i thought you were talking about as a DC. he was the DC at both programs in the HC's swan song.

AlbqSooner
1/13/2006, 07:56 PM
Gary Gibbs would be an excellent choice as a defensive coordinator. He did a great job in that role while at OU.

He, like Galen Hall and Gomer Jones before him, simply was not cut out to be a head coach. Both Hall and Jones, in their roles as offensive coordinators were excellent. Neither they, nor Gibbs are head coach material.

stoopified
1/14/2006, 03:32 AM
The best places for the Gibber to be a HC : Princeton,Yale,Harvard, Dartmouth and oh yeah Notre Dame and Texas.

mrowl
1/14/2006, 10:12 AM
If Zimmer gets a HC job in the NFL, Parcells would maybe promote Gibbs to DC.

And Fran is still an idiot for not hiring him.

okienole3
1/14/2006, 10:20 AM
If Zimmer gets a HC job in the NFL, Parcells would maybe promote Gibbs to DC.

And Fran is still an idiot for not hiring him.

If by Parcells you mean Jerry Jones, then you are right.

sooners2win
1/14/2006, 01:45 PM
Look at it this way..............Watson Brown is a Head Coach

mrowl
1/14/2006, 01:49 PM
If by Parcells you mean Jerry Jones, then you are right.

things are different with Bill around. Bill = GM