PDA

View Full Version : Matt hayes on the top 5 college coaches for the NFL

milesl
1/13/2006, 01:50 PM
Not sure how I feel about this as I HATE Matt Hayes, but he says some nice things about Bob
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AlziY3JvWi0Qp8DyZFvIEJYcvrYF?slug=fivefo rthemoneyfiveforth&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Five for the money; five for the show

By Matt Hayes - SportingNews

I'm not an NFL guy. Too plastic, too commercialized, too every game ends in exactly three hours for me.

This, however, is the best time of year in the NFL -- when coaches are fired and we're peppered with "ESPN has learned that (insert a coach's name) may or may not retire. Stay tuned for more on this breaking story!"

How does this relate to college football, you ask? There's this theory that NFL teams are shying away from hiring college coaches because recent big-name flops -- such as Steve Spurrier, Butch Davis and Dennis Erickson -- have tainted expectations. Nothing could be further from the truth; just about any NFL team in need would take a chance on one of a handful of college coaches who would jump for the right situation.

The defining trend in the NFL these days is that most successful coaches have defensive backgrounds. Check out some recent successful hires: John Fox (Panthers), Lovie Smith (Bears), Jim Mora (Falcons), Jack Del Rio (Jaguars). There are some college coaches who fit that mold -- and whom NFL execs would give millions to lure to the next level.

1. Pete Carroll, Southern California. No one this side of Bill Belichick knows defense better than Carroll, a former NFL coach who had pockets of success with the Jets and Patriots. Carroll just signed a long-term deal at USC, but that contract is about as solid as Charlie Weis' lifetime deal at Notre Dame. Every coach has an ego, and every coach wants to win at the elite level -- especially a coach who was chewed up and spit out the last time he was there. If an NFL team relocates to Los Angeles, Carroll could be tempted by total control of the organization and an outrageous contract -- as if NFL owners haven't been known to offer that.

2. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma. The same theorists who claim the NFL is backing off college coaches also say Stoops has learned from his mentor, Spurrier, and wants no part of the NFL. Don't believe it. The only reason Carroll is a hotter prospect is his NFL experience. The NFL has been feeling out Stoops since the Sooners won the 2000 national title, and he fits the mold of what the league is looking for: a young, dynamic personality who can energize an organization. No one has done more for the evolution of defense in the college game in the past 15 years.

3. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa. A former NFL offensive line coach, Ferentz doesn't necessarily fit the defensive mold. But his Iowa teams have an NFL personality -- they rely on defense and the running game. The Jaguars went after Ferentz three years ago before hiring Del Rio; Ferentz stayed at Iowa, in part because he wanted to coach his son Brian. Because Brian finished his senior season last week in the Outback Bowl, his dad has become the most eligible (read: ready to move) of the group. Ferentz held the title of assistant head coach with the Ravens because of his organizational skills and because players fed off and respected his style.

4. Tommy Tuberville, Auburn. One AFC personnel director says Tuberville is a younger version of Jimmy Johnson, with one caveat: The game doesn't consume Tuberville. His defensive background and ability to put together cohesive, successful staffs are huge pluses. More attractive to NFL execs are his abilities to steer through distractions on and off the field and win big games. Four straight victories over a heated rival (Alabama) and his response two years ago to a failed coup by his school's administration show the kind of moxie the league looks for.

5. Jim Tressel, Ohio State. Yeah, Ohio State is his dream job. And yeah, he's probably not going anywhere. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't listen -- and wouldn't be intrigued by a significant offer of money and player control in the right city. That likely means Cincinnati or Cleveland, and neither job looks to be open anytime soon. Tressel's background is offense, but defense is the foundation of his Ohio State teams and he's a fantastic game planner.

Senior writer Matt Hayes covers college football for Sporting News. E-mail him at [email protected].

Octavian
1/13/2006, 02:21 PM
Tommy Tuberville?

AustinTXHorn
1/13/2006, 02:27 PM
Tedford has fallen in a hurry.

The Consumate Showman
1/13/2006, 02:29 PM
What about Weiss? And I would rather have Urban Meyer than Tubguterville.

caphorns
1/13/2006, 02:34 PM
Belotti, Tedford and Weiss? 3 names I'd still put before Tubbs and Tressel (both of whom are complete control freaks). And Tubbs couldn't even keep his best coordinator from making an essentially lateral move. Yeah, he's quite the staff builder :rolleyes:

NormanPride
1/13/2006, 02:52 PM
I'd hire Bowden.

OUthunder
1/13/2006, 03:55 PM
What about Weiss? And I would rather have Urban Meyer than Tubguterville.

Being the HC at Notre Dame is probably better than being the HC of 90% of the NFL teams out there right now.

Readyfor8
1/13/2006, 04:04 PM
The only reason Matt Hayes is saying this is because he wants Bob Stoops gone from the college game.

NormanPride
1/13/2006, 04:25 PM
Being the HC at Notre Dame is probably better than being the HC of 90% of the NFL teams out there right now.

According to 90% of the Catholics out there, it's better than Heaven.

RedstickSooner
1/13/2006, 04:39 PM
Surely he jests about Petey boy. I mean, it's one thing when you've got a college coach with a great record and no NFL experience -- but the dude has already *proven* that he stinks as an NFL head coach.

Not only that, he did so at New England, which turned around after he left and became THE dynasty of the NFL.

In what universe does he appear even remotely appealing to an NFL team? I don't get it.

RedstickSooner
1/13/2006, 04:44 PM
Okay, so, I googled to make sure that I was remembering right, and not only did Carrol coach New England -- he did so for three seasons.

Is there some world where three years as an NFL head coach is *not* enough time to prove your ability (or lack thereof).

I just can't envision teams actively seeking Petey boy out. But, then again, the NFL does some goofy shiznit, from time to time.

Fugue
1/13/2006, 04:54 PM
After watching the title game, I'm not sure I'm on the "Pete = defensive wizard" bandwagon yet.

OUinFLA
1/13/2006, 04:58 PM
After watching the title game, I'm not sure I'm on the "Pete = defensive wizard" bandwagon yet.

There's a lot of new seats on the bandwagon, easy time to get a ride.

Texas Golfer
1/13/2006, 06:05 PM
I might agree with every one on Hayes' list except Tommy Telletubbie. He wouldn't survive. He wouldn't be able to pad his schedule at the pro ranks.

PDXsooner
1/13/2006, 07:06 PM
The only reason Matt Hayes is saying this is because he wants Bob Stoops gone from the college game.

that's kind of a weird thought process