PDA

View Full Version : So should I email Bob Stoops?

OU Adonis
1/13/2006, 11:26 AM
I have a nephew who is a man among boys. He is a big OU fan as his parents are. I was wondering if Stoops ever runs camps for little kids.

His stats

Height : 6'6"
Weight: 250 pounds
Shoe Size : 17
Hometown : Duncan, Oklahoma
Grade : 7th!!!!!!!

He plays basketball and he will be playing on the varsity football team immediately when he is actually in high school. He probably is the tallest guy or one of the tallest guys in Duncan, and he isn't even in high school yet.

I have some concerns that since he goes to a small school, he will learn bad technique because he will just rely on size.

CtheB
1/13/2006, 11:27 AM
Dear God, get this kid to camp immediately!

Pride Baritone
1/13/2006, 11:29 AM
Well, if you really want him to develop into a college level player it would probably be best to move to a town with an environment more condusive to his growth as an athlete.

NormanPride
1/13/2006, 11:29 AM
OU runs camps for all ages, I'm sure... Though I imagine they may get a bit pricey.

OU Adonis
1/13/2006, 11:36 AM
Well, if you really want him to develop into a college level player it would probably be best to move to a town with an environment more condusive to his growth as an athlete.

Well my sister does a lot to try to foster development. He on a basketball team and takes him to some camps around Duncan and Lawton, but thats really still not bigtime.

I worry he will be timid once he gets out of high school because of the level of competition he is used to.

yermom
1/13/2006, 11:37 AM
have they thought about moving to Jenks?

The Consumate Showman
1/13/2006, 11:39 AM

Is Ardmore too far away?

NormanPride
1/13/2006, 11:39 AM
I worry he will be timid once he gets out of high school because of the level of competition he is used to.

That's really just the personality of the kid. You know, not every huge person is destined for pro sports. I, for example, have the size but not the heart. I'm not nearly competitive enough to last at that level.

The key here is to make sure the kid is happy. He's just in middle school, after all. There are a HELL of a lot more things on his mind than sports.

OU Adonis
1/13/2006, 11:43 AM

My brother in law owns a business so thats a no go.

I guess NP is right about one thing, maybe he is destined for something else.

But man, he could be set for life if he developes his size into something atheletically.

He does need to work on his ups, he can't slam it cuz his vertical sucks.. :D

NormanPride
1/13/2006, 11:50 AM
Don't let me discourage you, please. I'm not saying the kid shouldn't play, I'm just saying that you guys, as his elders, need to be aware of his preferences. I know it's not my place to tell you what to do, but it's just something to watch out for.

Tear Down This Wall
1/13/2006, 12:02 PM
One word for the kid to develop despite playing crappy, small town competition - plyometrics.

yermom
1/13/2006, 12:09 PM
My brother in law owns a business so thats a no go.

I guess NP is right about one thing, maybe he is destined for something else.

But man, he could be set for life if he developes his size into something atheletically.

He does need to work on his ups, he can't slam it cuz his vertical sucks.. :D

i'm was kidding, i hate Jenks

maybe they could get him a nice signing bonus or something though :D

C&CDean
1/13/2006, 12:14 PM
How's his wheels? Foot movement? Playing basketball will help with that. Cause there's hundreds of big kids out there who can't get out of their own way. Size is only one thing they look at. Speed is more important.

1stTimeCaller
1/13/2006, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't say that Duncan is a small town playing crappy schools. I can think of two players from their conference that are in the NFL today.

Kid that size at that age definately need to jump rope and like a poster above said, plyometrics.

bluesmagoo
1/13/2006, 01:05 PM
OU has football camps in early June for all ages. MY son has gone every year Stoops has had a camp. They are real good. Call the football office.

PDXsooner
1/13/2006, 01:15 PM
get this kid playing the tuba IMMEDIATELY!!!

Dio
1/13/2006, 06:14 PM
One word for the kid to develop despite playing crappy, small town competition - plyometrics.

What the hell does math have to do with playin football?

boomersooner28
1/13/2006, 06:19 PM
Uhhhh...he hasn't received his offers from Jenks or Tulsa Union yet?

Interesting. :D

tennsooner
1/13/2006, 09:21 PM
and just for good measure take your nephew with you when you move.:D :D

OU-HSV
1/13/2006, 09:29 PM
The most important question I have...can this kid play D1 O-Line...say..right now?

And concerning this quote:

Jenks would surely hook this kids mom up with a school system job. (We've seen this in recent years with high profile players.)

OUTromBoNado
1/14/2006, 02:23 AM
Don't let me discourage you, please. I'm not saying the kid shouldn't play, I'm just saying that you guys, as his elders, need to be aware of his preferences. I know it's not my place to tell you what to do, but it's just something to watch out for.

Another thing to watch. Ending sentences with prepositions.;)

Didn't you learn anything of that there grammar in 'dem buisness major?

Wow. I am so full of smart-a$$ comments today. And I haven't had any alcohol either.