PDA

View Full Version : Need a good fishin spot

SoonerWood
1/13/2006, 10:14 AM
I've put in all my time with trout and salmon. I figured I better learn how to bass fish here in OK since I can't find the local salmon run. :D Where would a guy go for some good bass fishing, without a boat, within 1-2 hours of the OKC area? Any suggestions on other fun species and where to get them would be great too. I'm just doing catch and release....

Mjcpr
1/13/2006, 10:15 AM
You can fish for trout near Lake Tenkiller. MarVal is the joint.

TopDaugIn2000
1/13/2006, 10:15 AM
uh, d00d, in case you haven't heard, there's no water left in OK.

IB4OU2
1/13/2006, 10:35 AM
I've put in all my time with trout and salmon. I figured I better learn how to bass fish here in OK since I can't find the local salmon run. :D Where would a guy go for some good bass fishing, without a boat, within 1-2 hours of the OKC area? Any suggestions on other fun species and where to get them would be great too. I'm just doing catch and release....

To be successful for most of the bass fishing on the Lakes in Oklahoma you really need a boat but if you're without a boat try to get access to farm ponds. In late February as the sun heats the water in the farm ponds the bass start getting more active and you can find success using jigs and crank baits, later in the spring the bass start spawning and you can catch them using plastic worms and lizards, then more towards the late spring and summer months you can use spinnerbaits and topwater plugs.

If you want to fish this time of year on the lakes you can have success catching crappie from the pay fee/heated/sheltered docks that most of the lakes have including Texoma, Eufala, Tenkiller, Fort Gibson, Tenkiller, and Grand.You would normally use small rubber jigs or minnows to catch the crappie and for taste I don't think there's a better tasting fish in Oklahoma than the crappie. Good Luck!

SoonerWood
1/13/2006, 10:44 AM
Are crappie good fighters? I'm just doing catch and release. What about walleye?

Fugue
1/13/2006, 10:52 AM
To be successful for most of the bass fishing on the Lakes in Oklahoma you really need a boat but if you're without a boat try to get access to farm ponds. In late February as the sun heats the water in the farm ponds the bass start getting more active and you can find success using jigs and crank baits, later in the spring the bass start spawning and you can catch them using plastic worms and lizards, then more towards the late spring and summer months you can use spinnerbaits and topwater plugs.

If you want to fish this time of year on the lakes you can have success catching crappie from the pay fee/heated/sheltered docks that most of the lakes have including Texoma, Eufala, Tenkiller, Fort Gibson, Tenkiller, and Grand.You would normally use small rubber jigs or minnows to catch the crappie and for taste I don't think there's a better tasting fish in Oklahoma than the crappie. Good Luck!

that's breakin' it down, well done.

IB4OU2
1/13/2006, 10:57 AM
Are crappie good fighters? I'm just doing catch and release. What about walleye?

Crappie don't fight that much but if you are wanting to catch a fish that will really fight try fishing for sand bass, hybrid (cross between Sand bass and stripers) bass or stripers you can start catching these fish below the damn on the larger lakes in late winter or early spring as they head up these waters to spawn. Using large plastic baits (shad/minnow look alike).