PDA

View Full Version : I remember LNC as one of the toughest places to play in the country

MojoRisen
1/13/2006, 09:48 AM
I am an Oklahoma Sooner fan, I was born in Chicago but quickly moved to OK when I was 12 months old, I have since moved from Oklahoma for several years now- I was a regular at LNC when we had Chew Kennedy, T-Mac, even a little earlier with Wayman Tisdale!

We used to turn up the heat in LNC and run teams into the ground- we were rarely every beaten in the LNC- regardless of how outdated it is now.

I am done bashing Kelvin, He wins games but what are we going to do about attendance at LNC? If we can't get behind our teams and be extremely motivated to get behind them and be a factor at home- This team is not going to be successful.

Is Kelvin to blame for the Attendance at LNC or NOT? If he is, that is a serious problem and threatens OKLAHOMA TRADITION.

I think Kelvin needs to be on a short rope and seriously make adjustments by next year to change this trend- regardless of his winning percentages.. If we can't stand to watch it- it looses the point of Tradition at OKLAHOMA.

boomersoonerdude
1/14/2006, 07:57 AM
I've been attending a lots of home basketball games at LNC within the last 5 or 6 years and look like the attendance dropped atleast 30 to 45% compared to 4 or 5 years ago.

As an OU Alum and a big OU basketball fan, it's sad to say that our games started to bored me out. Hard to find something excited to even get loud in LNC........ I missed the good old days when Hollis drive the court and people afraid to come into LNC to play us.

tanjou
1/14/2006, 05:18 PM
If you wonder why the LNC lacks energy, look at the location of the student section. Now look at where Duke's student section is.

If the athletic department would put the money into radically redesigning the interior, putting ALL the students right next to the floor, the place would rock. College basketball feeds on students going nuts and being right next to the action. That doesn't happen at the LNC with this stupid "Red Zone" crap.

oumartin
1/14/2006, 05:34 PM
Joe C. just cares about money.

GottaHavePride
1/14/2006, 07:19 PM
They can't get seats any closer to the court in the current configuration. They'd need to lower the floor to add more seating, and it's already sitting on the water table. It needs to be razed and completely redesigned specifically as a basketball arena instead of trying to be a multi-purpose center. (Read: rectangular instead of round.)

boomersooner82
1/14/2006, 07:54 PM
I think the LNC is a horrible facility, but I think it would probably help if people just showed up and made noise. Do you really need to be "entertained" or be courtside to get loud for the Sooners?

sooneron
1/15/2006, 03:41 PM
That place had no problem getting loud when I was at OU.

King Crimson
1/15/2006, 03:52 PM
i think a lot of you are making proper criticisms of the LNC, but using the wrong tense. the building is 25-30 years old and a multi-use concrete pour.

it's fashionable now, and better, to have "throwback gyms" instead of a place where foghat plays....but that wasn't the case in 1977.

i wondered about the "new practice facilities" improvement at the time/coming off the football NC and final four....i mean because the LNC ain't going anywhere soon since the university dumped the money into that.

King Crimson
1/15/2006, 03:55 PM
i also think people undersestimate the fact that every game is on TV in the OKC area is going to decrease attendence since the 80's.

OUstud
1/15/2006, 05:10 PM
If you wonder why the LNC lacks energy, look at the location of the student section. Now look at where Duke's student section is.

If the athletic department would put the money into radically redesigning the interior, putting ALL the students right next to the floor, the place would rock. College basketball feeds on students going nuts and being right next to the action. That doesn't happen at the LNC with this stupid "Red Zone" crap.

And the fact that apparently the students don't stand up anymore.

MojoRisen
1/15/2006, 05:12 PM
Please Please People refrain from throwing anything on the court no matter how bad the officiating is.

Those days were fn crazy! What happened...

CtheB
1/15/2006, 05:24 PM
LNC is still a tough place for teams to play statistically. It just appears to be equally as tough on our own team, and even harder for the fans to watch.

KABOOKIE
1/15/2006, 06:07 PM
And the fact that apparently the students don't stand up anymore.

When I was there the Gestapo would police the student section and makes us sit down during the games. The reason? A bunch of handicraps were "seated" at the top row of the lower student section. What moron designed that ****? :mad: