PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Allgood!

LifelongSooner
1/13/2006, 09:40 AM
Tulsa World: Grove's Allgood commits to Sooners

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grove's Allgood commits to Sooners

By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
1/13/2006

Grove tight end Ryan Allgood has given a verbal commitment to play football at the University of Oklahoma.

Allgood's father, Ron Allgood, said Thursday that his son has always wanted to play for the Sooners.

"My dad (Marion Allgood) played for Bud Wilkinson back in '49. It's been pretty hardcore in our family," Ron said. "My dad passed away a year and a half ago, and he gave Ryan his letterman's jacket. So it's a pretty big deal for him."

Ryan Allgood (6-4, 235) is a two-star prospect, according to recruiting service Rivals.com.

Allgood represents OU's 26th commitment. Verbal commitments are nonbinding, and players can't sign letters of intent until Feb. 1.

As a senior, Allgood had eight catches for 158 yards and one touchdown as a blocking tight end for the Ridgerunners. He also made nearly 100 tackles as a defensive lineman and blocked three PAT kicks.

Allgood is a four-year starter at center on the basketball team and is a standout discus thrower.

OU has two tight ends returning (Joe Jon Finley and Aaron Cummings) and has received a verbal commitment from another (Eric Mensik). The Sooners are also still recruiting Ardmore tight end / wide receiver Jermaine Gresham.

Postseason playing: Oklahoma cornerback Eric Bassey and offensive guard Kelvin Chaisson will play in Saturday's Las Vegas All-American Classic, a postseason all-star game featuring 110 college seniors.

Bassey and Chaisson will play for the West squad. The game kicks off at 3:30 p.m. and will not be televised.

Bassey, from Garland, Texas, played in 11 games last season despite nagging injuries. He started five games, including the Sooners' 17-14 win over No. 6-ranked Oregon in the Holiday Bowl.

For the season, he was credited with 15 tackles. During his career, Bassey played in 48 games with 27 starts, including 14 at strong safety in 2002. He finished with 112 career tackles and three interceptions.

Chaisson became a fixture at left guard for the Sooners, start ing 32 games over the last three seasons. In 2005, he earned honorable mention All-Big 12 after recording 99 knockdown blocks and being flagged for just one penalty.

Other Sooner seniors are expected to participate in upcoming postseason all-star games.

Linebacker Clint Ingram is on the West roster for the East-West Shrine Game, played this year at 3 p.m. Jan. 21 at the Alamodome in San Antonio. ESPN will televise the game.

The Hula Bowl (6 p.m. Jan. 21 in Honolulu, on ESPN) and the Senior Bowl (3 p.m. Jan. 28 in Mobile, Ala., on ESPN) have not announced their rosters. Tulsa tight end Garrett Mills is scheduled to play in the Senior Bowl.

Harry Beanbag
1/13/2006, 09:46 AM
He'll be a walk-on.

NormanPride
1/13/2006, 10:45 AM
He'll be a walk-on.

That makes him even more cool in my book. Walking on at OU > free school at a place like SMU.

Soonermagik
1/13/2006, 10:46 AM
Every once in a while a 2 star player can become a 5 star!!

IronSooner
1/13/2006, 10:51 AM
Sounds like a lineman-to-be. Always good to get another beefeater.

NormanPride
1/13/2006, 10:54 AM
At 6-4 235 I would hope he stays at TE... We've been recruiting a lot of linemen so that we don't have to pull another Chester-like move. Even though Chester beefed up a ton, he was still a bit small to play OLine.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/13/2006, 11:26 AM
kind of a risky move as he'll count towards the 85 man limit. we have plenty of room this year, but next year its going to be crowded.

NormanPride
1/13/2006, 11:30 AM
You know, we can always cut him if he sucks. Especially since he's a walkon. It's not like we have craploads of depth at the TE position.

LifelongSooner
1/13/2006, 11:33 AM
It's not like we have craploads of depth at the TE position.

That's what I was thinking too. He has good blood lines, and I always trust Stoops in his decisions on kids who are athletes, in addition to playing football.

Harry Beanbag
1/13/2006, 11:42 AM
kind of a risky move as he'll count towards the 85 man limit. we have plenty of room this year, but next year its going to be crowded.

He doesn't count unless he actually plays in a game right?

OKC-SLC
1/13/2006, 12:29 PM
i'll gladly take a kid with a legacy and heart as long as we have room for him--i don't think it'd do our team's heart anything but good to have a kid like this.

IronSooner
1/13/2006, 12:36 PM
I'm hoping that means Finley will get used more as a Trent Smith-type TE. And that he'll catch those sure-fire TDs like he's fully capable of doing.

NickZeppelin
1/13/2006, 12:39 PM
Finley is no Trent Smith. We can hype him all we want but we don't have a Trent Smith on campus.

OklahomaTrombone
1/13/2006, 12:47 PM
Finley is no Trent Smith. We can hype him all we want but we don't have a Trent Smith on campus.

Yes (http://search.ou.edu/default.cfm?CFID=1105837&CFTOKEN=80275394) we do.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/13/2006, 01:21 PM
He doesn't count unless he actually plays in a game right?

maybe. the rules on recruited walkons are convoluted as crap. they don't count against your 25 per year, but they do count against your 85 man limit. mainly to keep coaches from promising a scholarship to a player if he comes but they don't have any slots open that year.

OUGreg723
1/13/2006, 02:49 PM
I hope this kid becomes great!! I love underdogs!

RacerX
1/13/2006, 04:13 PM

Trent Smith was no Trent Smith.

NormanPride
1/13/2006, 04:24 PM
How very zen.

The Consumate Showman
1/13/2006, 04:26 PM
Is this Allgood kid related to the Allgood QB at UCO???

GottaHavePride
1/13/2006, 04:59 PM

How many o-line defections are they expecting this offseason? ;)

I shouldn't even joke about that, but hey - that's what I do.

NickZeppelin
1/13/2006, 05:04 PM
Is this Allgood kid related to the Allgood QB at UCO???

I'm not sure about that. But his grandfather played here in the 40's or 50's.