PDA

View Full Version : NBA comments on Taj Gray (from SI)....

CtheB
1/12/2006, 10:37 PM
SI's weekly feature on a prospect for the NBA featured Taj this week. Comments not too impressive, closing by saying "he's not a first round guy."

I am somewhat surprised by this. Who else?

NickZeppelin
1/12/2006, 10:46 PM
Not really. His stock has been falling this year. It'll probably go back up by the end of the year and when he goes to camps though

oumartin
1/12/2006, 10:56 PM
the don't play defense in the NBA so he'll be fine

Rhino
1/12/2006, 11:00 PM
Well, he's only averaging over eight attempted shots per game.

It helps that he's averaging over eight rebounds per game though.

the_ouskull
1/14/2006, 11:54 AM
They like his athleticism, but he's not a leader on the floor, and he committs too many ticky-tack fouls. He has virtually NO range either. Basically, as far as the NBA goes, he's a "tweener." He's athletic enough to play the 3, but has no range, and he's big enough to play the four, but doesn't have the post game for it... or the strength. In other words, I'm not suprised at all. Great college player. Marginal pro.

the_ouskull

Big John
1/14/2006, 07:23 PM
I believe it said that he gets a lot of his low-post baskets from pure intensity, and that he's not skilled enough to be much of a scoring threat in the NBA. I can't say that I disagree with that observation. Here's my opinion of Taj Gray:
He's got the height to play small forward in the NBA and the athletisism to play power foward in the NBA. He can't shoot from behind the 3-point line and he isn't quick enough to drive and defend the drive against NBA small fowards.
He doesn't have great size for a NBA power foward, and I agree that he doesn't have enough good low post moves and good enough technique on the offensive end to be a good scorer in the NBA.

I agree with what ou_skull has said.