PDA

View Full Version : Enough With the Gloom and Doom

Jay C. Upchurch
1/12/2006, 03:09 PM
OU basketball column on Spectator homepage...

http://soonerspectator.com/featureStory.php

Dio
1/12/2006, 03:36 PM
Honest question Jay: Why does it take our team half a season to "find itself" every single year? At some point, shouldn't the returning players provide some kind of continuity through the offseason? I'm not a Kelvin hater, and I hope you're right and history repeats itself, but damn- these mid-season swoons every year are frustrating to watch.

MojoRisen
1/12/2006, 03:44 PM
Let me break out my violin! I don't think those 3 big 12 losses came to Nebraska- maybe Mizzou but I doubt it!

Jay C. Upchurch
1/12/2006, 03:53 PM
Well, the way it's worked lately — say the last 3-4 seasons — there has been more turnover than usual in player personnel, and that's been the reason why Kelvin's teams have taken longer to gel.

This season, the lack of a true point guard has put more pressure on Terrell Everett and he's just not met the challenge so far. He has got to limit his turnovers and do a better job of getting the team in its offense and making the most of fastbreak opportunties.

Four of this team's main contributors — Neal, Carter, Johnson and Griffin — are first-year guys. Goldbold is a sophomore and both Everett and Gray are in their second seasons with the team. Only Bookout can truly be called a veteran of Kelvin's program.

Not trying to make excuses, but there is some validity to the arguement this group is still in its infancy as a team. That said, Kelvin is usually very good about getting his teams to develop and mature as the season progresses.

Jay C. Upchurch
1/12/2006, 04:01 PM
The four losses in five games last season were...

1. to an Iowa State team that was 0-6 in conference play

2. At home to Texas Tech

3. At OSU by 12

4. At Missouri by 3

OU was 6-4 at the time and everyone wrote the Sooners off in the league race...

CtheB
1/12/2006, 05:39 PM
Since last year's team is the new standard, by virtue of their regular season conference co-championship (fortunate scheduling to have KU at home), can we look forward to another disappointing post-season?

NickZeppelin
1/12/2006, 05:41 PM
The problem with our postseason last season was Godbold didn't play as well and he was the spark last year. This year we don't know who that spark is yet or if there will be one. But we need a guard to step up and get this team going. Maybe AJ is that guy or maybe Neal is.

Jay C. Upchurch
1/12/2006, 05:42 PM
Doom and Gloom, baby. You gotta love it.

MojoRisen
1/12/2006, 06:21 PM
We may scrap by and win some games and maybe even get hot for a little bit- but we are not any good. Plain and Simple- I would rank us in the top 40 potentially. Southern Ill, Crieghton, Manhattan, these teams would beat us come tourney time.

TopDawg
1/12/2006, 06:29 PM
Since last year's team is the new standard, by virtue of their regular season conference co-championship (fortunate scheduling to have KU at home), can we look forward to another disappointing post-season?

Well if it was fortunate scheduling that brought KU to Norman, it was unfortunate scheduling to have ISU on the road. No way we lose to 0-6 ISU at home.

CtheB
1/12/2006, 06:47 PM
Well if it was fortunate scheduling that brought KU to Norman, it was unfortunate scheduling to have ISU on the road. No way we lose to 0-6 ISU at home.

Then I'll trade you a loss against KU (on the road) for a win against ISU (at home). Who's the conference champ then?

Exactly....Kansas. My point...fortunate scheduling.

TopDawg
1/12/2006, 06:51 PM
Do I get the OT loss at Missouri, too? We beat them in Norman as well. You can take the Colorado game back to Boulder in exchange. Our 30-point win turns into a 20-point win.

Bottom line, you still have to win the games.

CtheB
1/12/2006, 06:53 PM
But if you don't get head to head on KU in any year, it's going to be tough to win a title. Agree?

TopDawg
1/12/2006, 06:57 PM
Yeah, no argument there. But in that respect, Kansas is fortunate to play in the North. They didn't have to go to Austin or Stillwater last year. The fact that we were able to tie them despite playing a tougher conference schedule is pretty impressive.

StoopTroup
1/13/2006, 08:11 PM
Never give up...

Never surrender...

stoopified
1/14/2006, 11:32 PM
The problem with our postseason last season was Godbold didn't play as well and he was the spark last year. This year we don't know who that spark is yet or if there will be one. But we need a guard to step up and get this team going. Maybe AJ is that guy or maybe Neal is.Exactly.Before the season I said point guard was a key and that I had doubts about Walker being the answer,Nothing against him but he was our third choice and alast minute signee.

My hope is that Austun can get healthy and help Everett run the team.Last year Everett WAS our most effective point but he did not do it all, When Lavender would decide to BE A PLAYER he eased the burden , sadly he only stepped up half the time.
IMHO AJ has shown flashes of promise in that area.IF we can get him close to 100% by the midpoint of conference he could be a major player as he has mad skills but lacks experience.

It would also help if we could get Neal semi-healthy as he is our best outside gun and is solid on D.He gets his stroke going it gives Godbold,Everett,Johnson who are decent 3 shooters the chance to not force their perimeter shot so much.Not great but just decent (36% or so ) 3pt shooting would allow Book and Taj more freedom to wreak havoc inside.
Will all this or even any of it happen?I don't know,if it doesn't well Kelvin is a master at UGLY BALL and we could stiill end up DANCIN' using that style .Either way I am not ready to give up on Kelvin or this team.BOOMER SOONER BABY.

NickZeppelin
1/14/2006, 11:41 PM
I think Kelvin said it in the post game best we need to get healthy. Neal and Johnson haven't been healthy all year.

stoopified
1/15/2006, 12:21 AM
I think Kelvin said it in the post game best we need to get healthy. Neal and Johnson haven't been healthy all year.
True dat.

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2006, 04:20 AM
Then I'll trade you a loss against KU (on the road) for a win against ISU (at home). Who's the conference champ then?

Exactly....Kansas. My point...fortunate scheduling.

Er, not. Actually we win a co-championship under that scenario, exactly like we did last year. Kansas would have been the #1 seen in the conference tourney though.

william_brasky
1/15/2006, 04:28 AM
Never surrender...

http://eil.com/newgallery/Corey-Hart-Spot-You-In-A-Coa-157325.jpg

CtheB
1/15/2006, 02:54 PM
Er, not. Actually we win a co-championship under that scenario, exactly like we did last year. Kansas would have been the #1 seen in the conference tourney though.

Er, not, look at the origin of the question. Good point you make, wrong discussion.

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2006, 03:15 PM
Er, not, look at the origin of the question. Good point you make, wrong discussion.

Er, no. Not only could I not type this morning, I couldn't do math. KU would have been the outright champion under that scenario, because they would have had one more win than us.