PDA

View Full Version : Wyatt is Gone

LifelongSooner
1/12/2006, 02:57 PM
Vikes pick Packers coach as offensive coordinator

The Vikings named Darrell Bevell, who was quarterbacks coach of the Packers last season, as offensive coordinator today.

The Vikings named Darrell Bevell, who was quarterbacks coach of the Packers last season, as offensive coordinator today.

Bevell was quarterback at the University of Wisconsin when new Vikings coach Brad Childress was offensive coordinator of the Badgers. Bevell set 19 passing records at Wisconsin, and the Badgers won the 1994 Rose Bowl while he was the starting quarterback.

Bevell coached college football at Westmar (1996), Iowa State (1997) and Connecticut (1998-99). He became offensive assistant/quality control with the Packers under Mike Holmgren in 2000, was promoted to offensive assistant in 2002 and quarterbacks coach in 2003.

Bevell celebrated his 36th birthday last Friday. The Packers were 57-39 in the regular season while Bevell coached there, and the team also won three consecutive NFC North titles.

This will be Bevell's first job as offensive coordinator, although Childress said he intended to call the team's plays.

Childress also hired Darrell Wyatt as wide receivers coach. Wyatt, who played college football and ran track at Kansas State, was receivers coach at the University of Oklahoma last season. He has also coached at Trinity Valley, Sam Houston State, Wyoming, Baylor, Kansas and Oklahoma State. He has served four NFL minority coaching fellowships -- Tampa Bay in 1996, Denver in 1997 and 1998, and Philadelphia in 2005. Wyatt, 39, worked with Childress during last summer's Eagles exhibition season when Childress was offensive coordinator in Philadelphia.

LifelongSooner
1/12/2006, 02:59 PM
I suppose you'll probably want a link!

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/179564.html

MiccoMacey
1/12/2006, 03:00 PM
Crap. Oh well, I'm sure Bob knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who could come and replace him.

FirstandGoal
1/12/2006, 03:00 PM
Well, we all knew it was going to happen, but it still pretty much sucks!

OUGreg723
1/12/2006, 03:04 PM
I'm sad to see him go. This is a great opportunity for him though. It eill be tough to replace him, but I'm sure we will.

Thanks for everything you've done here Coach Wyatt!! Remember you always have a home in Norman!! Come back and be our offensive coordinator some day!

Rhino
1/12/2006, 03:09 PM
See ya Coach Wyatt. Thanks for AD.

Octavian
1/12/2006, 03:17 PM
thanks and good luck.

oumartin
1/12/2006, 03:19 PM
Bring Back Junior Spurrier.

The Consumate Showman
1/12/2006, 03:22 PM
Bring Back Junior Spurrier.

I second that....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2006, 03:23 PM
bad time to leave but at least the recruits know about it before signing day. SOS jr is the OC at south carolina...

oumartin
1/12/2006, 03:23 PM
Heck, I'd coach the recievers but I don't know how good of recruiter I am.
I got my ways and all but don't want a Colorado like scandal on our hands.

oumartin
1/12/2006, 03:24 PM
yeah, but the recieving coach position at OU is better than O.C. for your daddy right?

OUthunder
1/12/2006, 03:25 PM
Hmmmn.

Widescreen
1/12/2006, 03:39 PM
bad time to leave but at least the recruits know about it before signing day. SOS jr is the OC at south carolina...
I wonder how long he's going to keep following daddy around.

NormanPride
1/12/2006, 03:46 PM
This stinks. I want our coaching to not change for one offseason. Is that too much to ask?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2006, 03:52 PM
I wonder how long he's going to keep following daddy around.

it seems to have worked for sean sutton

MikeInNorman
1/12/2006, 04:11 PM
Darrell is a good guy and a good recruiter, but don't get all aflutter about losing some sort of coaching genius. He's a good solid coach who, like nearly all coaches, is as good as his material.

Last spring, the staff knew that the receivers, despite the presence of many starred recruits like Quentin Chaney and Lendy Holmes, were very poor. Believe it or not, that was the biggest concern for the staff going into fall practice: poor performance at the receiver position. Not QB, not the OL. Receivers. Fans, of course, thought the position to be fine, because we had such well regarded recruits.

Well, we all know how that turned out. Malcom Kelly came into camp and gave an immediate wake-up call to Chaney, Holmes, et al. They practiced good enough to stay barely ahead of the freshmen, especially when Kelly got hurt. Thus they barely made the rotation with JeJuan and Wilson. But, the "old" guys didn't produce, and the early losses gave Wyatt and Chuck Long the opportunity to play the freshmen and let them make mistakes and learn. That turned out pretty well.

So, when Holmes, Cheney, and ENA were on the field, Wyatt looked like a bad receivers coach. When Malcom Kelly was on the field, and later Iglesias and Johnson, He looked like a heck of a receivers coach. He's as good as the guys he coaches, and that describes the great majority of coaches in the NCAA.

Good luck Darrell!

The Consumate Showman
1/12/2006, 04:14 PM

Forgot about SOS and his Daddy at SoCar

The Consumate Showman
1/12/2006, 04:17 PM
it seems to have worked for sean sutton

Gumbyish at best....