PDA

View Full Version : VY will be one of the NFL's greatest...

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2006, 02:53 PM
... receivers. Discuss.

ftworthfox
1/12/2006, 02:59 PM
... receivers. Discuss.
His future is clearly as a QB. No one will spend a top 10 draft pick with the intention to work him into another position, with the possible exception of a safety to LB or a guard to tackle, etc. He'll either be a unique top flight QB or a bust. :rolleyes:

FirstandGoal
1/12/2006, 03:01 PM
Herr in 3...2...1...

OhU1
1/12/2006, 03:03 PM
I think he makes it as a QB. He may not be the best passer out there but he's more than adequate and will continue to improve.

Herr Scholz
1/12/2006, 03:04 PM
Not even worth it. :D

JohnnyMack
1/12/2006, 03:06 PM
I think he's a project. He needs to be on the sidelines for a year or so. I also am more inclined to spend money on him than I am Leinart. Leinart = bust.

caphorns
1/12/2006, 03:06 PM
he'll be the first real triple backfield threat - QB/RB/WR. Actually, I've even seen him throw a block. Favorite play - "You ten guys go left and I'll juke the rest of them to the right. On 2. Break"

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2006, 03:08 PM
My contention is that when he fails as a pro QB, someone will see the athleticism and allow VY to refocus his tools to a position more suited for his gifts.

OUGreg723
1/12/2006, 03:11 PM
He is a QB. He will be a QB in the NFL. He will also be a damn good NFL QB. He has become a smart player, and I don't think we can call him "Radio" or "Fumbles" any more. He is the best running QB in the history of college football, and if you give him time, he is a deadly passer. Even if the passes arent pretty, they are still effective. As much as I hate Texas and it makes me sick posting this, It is the truth. He's a great leader, a hard worker, a great athelete, a champion, and a heck of a QB.

I mean, the two times we beat him while he was on the feild, we played in the NC game. And then led he Texas to a Title this year.

I think I'm gonna be sick. I will never talk this good about a Texas player again. You all have my word. But we all know it is true and we were very wronge about him.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2006, 03:16 PM
He is a QB. He will be a QB in the NFL. He will also be a damn good NFL QB. He has become a smart player, and I don't think we can call him "Radio" or "Fumbles" any more. He is the best running QB in the history of college football, and if you give him time, he is a deadly passer. Even if the passes arent pretty, they are still effective. As much as I hate Texas and it makes me sick posting this, It is the truth. He's a great leader, a hard worker, a great athelete, a champion, and a heck of a QB.

I mean, the two times we beat him while he was on the feild, we played in the NC game. And then led Texas to a Title this year.

I think I'm gonna be sick. I will never talk this good about a Texas player again. You all have my word. But we all know it is true and we were very wronge about him.

He's definately not the greatest running QB in history. He might be a good dual threat guy, but there are so many good option guys that I can't say VY is the best at running.

Anyway, so he's a great runner. If he can catch, that would make him a great receiver, see?

If you put him at QB in the NFL he's going to suck until he pulls the ball down and runs.

There is not going to be a massive passing lane in the nfl that their is in college and I can assure you that if he gets hit in the nfl, he goes down. None of this passing the ball while in the grasp crap.

OUGreg723
1/12/2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah, your right knee. But dont you think that VY could have DOMINTAED as an option QB. But I guess dual threat is more appropriate, since he never played as an option QB. That's what I meant to say.

caphorns
1/12/2006, 03:21 PM
I don't think we can call him "Radio" or "Fumbles" any more.

It's Fumbles McScramble by the way and did you notice that he did fumble on the last drive in the Rose Bowl. He got lucky that slop was cleaned up actually. I think if he pulls that crap in the NFL - great as he is - he'll continue with the nickname.

caphorns
1/12/2006, 03:24 PM
He's definately not the greatest running QB in history.

I beg to differ there sir. He is an absolutely amazing runner.- better than Mike Vick. He actually backed off the running this year to avoid injuries. Yet he still casually racked up 1,000 yards running. He's absolutely deadly with the wheels.

OUthunder
1/12/2006, 03:25 PM
Why can't it still be Tuesday?

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2006, 03:26 PM
Seriously. Flailing that ball around like it's wand-filtered cigarette at his coming out party. He'll never be succesful at the next level with all of his bad habits... well, maybe at receiver.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2006, 03:28 PM
I beg to differ there sir. He is an absolutely amazing runner.- better than Mike Vick. He actually backed off the running this year to avoid injuries. Yet he still casually racked up 1,000 yards running. He's absolutely deadly with the wheels.

Nah, he's a good runner. I am just not going to jump out and say he was the best running qb ever. Weird too, cause with his stride he looks very average. His speed shows on the field though.

Jimminy Crimson
1/12/2006, 03:28 PM
He's gonna be a helluva linebacker in the league! :D

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2006, 03:30 PM
He's gonna be a helluva linebacker in the league! :D

I think he'd be a great free safety, myself. :texan:

Stanley1
1/12/2006, 03:32 PM
Shooting guard maybe?

Jimminy Crimson
1/12/2006, 03:37 PM
Shooting guard maybe?

I'd put him at the 3.

Octavian
1/12/2006, 03:37 PM

Mildren, Davis, Lott, Julius Caesar, Jamelle, Turner Gill, Frazier, Frosty, Crouch...best "running qbs" -I think this list could be totally comprised of guys from Norman and Lincoln

Dual threats...Vick and Young

NormanPride
1/12/2006, 03:38 PM
Vince Young > Quincy Carter

caphorns
1/12/2006, 03:46 PM
That's quite a worldly opinion you formed there Octavian. Of the names you listed, the only guy I can recall running like Vince was maybe Jamelle Holloway. Crouch? Are you high?

1stTimeCaller
1/12/2006, 03:49 PM
I am if that helps.

Jimminy Crimson
1/12/2006, 03:51 PM
I am if that helps.

Pass the Funyuns!!! :P

caphorns
1/12/2006, 03:51 PM
Look I saw plenty of Crouch. I think he racked up about 100 yards a game. But he was mostly running. Vince is racking up 200 plus in big games in addition to his 200 plus passing yards. You put Vince back there in that Nebbish offense and he would do just fine racking up the rushes.

JohnnyMack
1/12/2006, 03:55 PM
I am if that helps.

He said high, not stupid.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2006, 03:56 PM
Look I saw plenty of Crouch. I think he racked up about 100 yards a game. But he was mostly running. Vince is racking up 200 plus in big games in addition to his 200 plus passing yards. You put Vince back there in that Nebbish offense and he would do just fine racking up the rushes.

Come on now, Crouch was one fast white boy. He could flat out fly. You can't dog him for his running skill. That's what we were talking about was running qbs.

Crouch went in to the nfl as a receiver. I think he was too short for that. Now VY on the other hand is about 6" taller than Crouch. He'd be like another Roy Williams... The fake one.

caphorns
1/12/2006, 04:05 PM
Come on now, Crouch was one fast white boy. He could flat out fly. You can't dog him for his running skill. That's what we were talking about was running qbs.

I don't care about the skin color, but Vince can fly and is elusive at the same time. I don't recall a single time when Crouch faked 4 guys out of their jocks and sprinted ahead of a secondary for an easy score. It's ludicrous to think Crouch is a tougher runner. MAYBE he had more power. That's a big maybe because when he needs to Vince can be amazingly powerful.

There may be college QBs that compare to Vince at running the ball. But I don't think you can say Crouch is one of them and I don't think any of those Names is clearly better than Vince.

Herr Scholz
1/12/2006, 04:05 PM
Vince is the first QB ever to pass for 3K yards and rush for 1K yards in the same season. Nobody else has even done 2,500 and 1,000.

He'll be a great NFL QB.

ftworthfox
1/12/2006, 04:07 PM

I mean, the two times we beat him while he was on the feild, we played in the NC game. And then led he Texas to a Title this year.

What he said!

1stTimeCaller
1/12/2006, 04:07 PM
He said high, not stupid.
I don't get the joke but I sure am giggling. Where the F are my damned Funyuns?????????????

Crimson_Balls
1/12/2006, 04:10 PM
another Matt Jones story.

Luthor
1/12/2006, 04:17 PM
IMHO it all depends on which team he goes to. Johnny Unitas couldn't fix the the Texans or the Saints right now. Call it making excuses if you want but any QB that goes to these 2 teams will struggle unless both teams come up with an OL before next September.

Herr Scholz
1/12/2006, 04:29 PM
another Matt Jones story.
Good comparison. Except for the fact that Jones didn't lead his team to a national title (or even a conference one), didn't win the Maxwell award for POY, didn't win the O'brien and Manning awards for QB of the year, wasn't an All-American, wasn't a Heisman finalist, wasn't the MVP of the Rose Bowl 2 years in a row, didn't make anyone's jaw drop, wasn't the first QB in the history of college football to throw for 3K yards and rush for 1K, wasn't ever considered a top 5 NFL pick and didn't have the arm, legs, heart or leadership skills of Vince.

Besides that, spot on.

NormanPride
1/12/2006, 04:32 PM
Herr, he played for Arkansas. You think if Vince was in his position he would have been half as good? You're dreaming.

caphorns
1/12/2006, 04:37 PM
Herr, he played for Arkansas. You think if Vince was in his position he would have been half as good? You're dreaming.

Jones had a couple of good games but that guy was overrated. He had some wheels but he didn't have the arm and couldn't read defenses for crap. He's not bad at the WR spot though.

NormanPride
1/12/2006, 04:42 PM
You don't think he would have developed a bit better with the best OLine in the nation and a few receivers that knew what a downfield pass was? He also ran a different style of offense, didn't he?

For the record, I'm not saying Matt Jones is better than VY. I'm just saying that VY would not be as highly hyped if he was in Matt's shoes.

TexasLidig8r
1/12/2006, 04:42 PM
I await with anticipation the spectacle of our good buddy Rube kissing Bevo's testicles when Vince starts for an NFL team.. and that NFL team wins one game.

Of course, if it's with the Texans, it may actually take a few years for that win to happen.

As for Vince, I'm tapping the brakes a bit as to whether Vince will be a "great NFL QB." He needs to develop his ability to read defenses and to be able to audible. An Indy Colts type offense would suit him very, very well though.

Stanley1
1/12/2006, 04:44 PM
Jones had a couple of good games but that guy was overrated.

Can't the same be said for VY? He was a nobody until last years Rose Bowl. Since then he had pretty good games against Ohio St. and OU, and a great game against USC. Everybody else he played against was terrible. I don't know about you, but I sure don't want to base my opinion of a guy on 3-4 games.

You act as if VY has no downsides. He still has an ugly delivery that I'm not sure will hack it in the NFL. I'm not convinced he can read a "good" defense yet. I don't think he throws a very good deep ball. He fumbles like a mother****er. Need I go on?

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2006, 04:47 PM
I don't care about the skin color, but Vince can fly and is elusive at the same time. I don't recall a single time when Crouch faked 4 guys out of their jocks and sprinted ahead of a secondary for an easy score. It's ludicrous to think Crouch is a tougher runner. MAYBE he had more power. That's a big maybe because when he needs to Vince can be amazingly powerful.

There may be college QBs that compare to Vince at running the ball. But I don't think you can say Crouch is one of them and I don't think any of those Names is clearly better than Vince.

I do care about the skin color, albeit very little. I root for fast white guys, but that's another story.

Back to Crouch's running, he did win a heisman and it was not for his passing ability. He definately had serious speed and was very elusive. I can, without any reservation, put Crouch in to elite running QB status. Ludicrous? You don't remember how good Crouch was. That last play that VY ran is fresh in my mind too, but a few years back Crouch was on SportsCenter all the time.

Jimminy Crimson
1/12/2006, 04:48 PM
Vince had a good season but that guy was overrated. He had some wheels but he didn't have the arm. He's not bad at the WR spot though.

fixed :texan:

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2006, 04:48 PM
Vince is the first QB ever to pass for 3K yards and rush for 1K yards in the same season. Nobody else has even done 2,500 and 1,000.

He'll be a great NFL QB.

You stay out of this. You had your chance to chime in and said that it wasn't worth it. Think about that next time you go poopooing one of my threads.

caphorns
1/12/2006, 04:51 PM
. . . but do any of you think Vince could challenge as the greatest thread ender of all time?

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2006, 04:54 PM
. . . but do any of you think Vince could challenge as the greatest thread ender of all time?

Only on Tuesdays....

humblesooner
1/12/2006, 04:54 PM

Only if all you whorns get baned.

Or maybe on Tuesday!

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2006, 04:56 PM
Besides, I am the greatest thread ender of all time.

humblesooner
1/12/2006, 05:00 PM
Besides, I am the greatest thread ender of all time.

In all fairness, he did say "challenge".

caphorns
1/12/2006, 05:01 PM
I don't know. WE may have to see what Vince can bring. He certainly is one of the greatest game enders of all time.

BTW - speaking of game ending - does anyone else get the impression that Leinart's days of pulling the best tail in the planet - probably took a beating on Jan 4. I mean he's now a loser and has been in LA terms. He also is known to have made the dumbest decision in the entire planet by not coming out as the No. 1 draft pick last year. Or maybe hot chicks don't follow sports that closely ;)

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2006, 05:04 PM
I don't know. WE may have to see what Vince can bring. He certainly is one of the greatest game enders of all time.

BTW - speaking of game ending - does anyone else get the impression that Leinart's days of pulling the best tail in the planet - probably took a beating on Jan 4. I mean he's now a loser and has been in LA terms. He also is known to have made the dumbest decision in the entire planet by not coming out as the No. 1 draft pick last year. Or maybe hot chicks don't follow sports that closely ;)

Wel, that was fun. I actually think that VY will do quite well in the NFL, but I was bored and decided to bait everyone. Crouch was still a great runner though.

Octavian
1/12/2006, 05:34 PM
That's quite a worldly opinion you formed there Octavian. Of the names you listed, the only guy I can recall running like Vince was maybe Jamelle Holloway. Crouch? Are you high?

I don't consider Vince a "running" quarterback. I placed him as a dual threat. The OU and Nebraska guys could hit you w/ a suprising pass play every once in awhile but the Texas offense was designed for Vince to do both. Think that would've worked for Tommie Frazier or Jamelle? Me either. All the guys I listed as runners operated out of triple-option offenses. So I put them in different categories. Reread my post, cappy, you might just grasp it.

And who's stoned here? Jamelle and VY were both very effective but their running styles were very different. And Crouch? Yeah, he's got nuthin on Vince (except a certain bronze statue and a portrait hanging in New York).

caphorns
1/12/2006, 05:34 PM
Crouch was a great runner. Not as great as Vince ;)

Can we return back to the proper topic here after the jack -- How much tail Leinart is no longer pulling after becoming just another loser in LA?

fossil
1/12/2006, 05:35 PM

He'll be a great NFL QB.
:hmfic: Time will tell, but I think he's better suited for WR in the NFL. His passing was good in college, but that would be less than stellar against NFL defensive secondaries. After he takes off to run a few times, and has his head handed to him, he'll settle into becoming an ordinary QB at best. Eventually, he will make the move to WR. Again, time will tell for sure.

caphorns
1/12/2006, 05:39 PM
Yeah, he's got nuthin on Vince (except a certain bronze statue and a portrait hanging in New York).

I think the Heisman has been debunked many times over. Vince showed he got robbed on that piece of metal by nothing more than media ferver after Bush showed up against some horrible defenses. It's who has the best performance in week 10 and week 11 of the regular season for an undefeated team. So for all of two weeks out of an entire season, Vince didn't earn the Heisman.

The "category" of quarterback also has no bearing on who the better runner is. It's like saying Mike Jordan is not one of the best shooters because he wasn't a pure shooter. Jordan was an amazing shooter. He just happened to do other things.

ftworthfox
1/12/2006, 05:43 PM
IMHO it all depends on which team he goes to. Johnny Unitas couldn't fix the the Texans or the Saints right now. Call it making excuses if you want but any QB that goes to these 2 teams will struggle unless both teams come up with an OL before next September.
Of course not. He died in 2002!;) I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Your point is valid.

MojoRisen
1/12/2006, 05:49 PM

What about these two Tony Rice and Kordel Stewart? Running or Dual threat for those two?

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2006, 05:49 PM
I think the Heisman has been debunked many times over. Vince showed he got robbed on that piece of metal by nothing more than media ferver after Bush showed up against some horrible defenses. It's who has the best performance in week 10 and week 11 of the regular season for an undefeated team. So for all of two weeks out of an entire season, Vince didn't earn the Heisman.

The "category" of quarterback also has no bearing on who the better runner is. It's like saying Mike Jordan is not one of the best shooters because he wasn't a pure shooter. Jordan was an amazing shooter. He just happened to do other things.

VY only got robbed by circumstance. Bush is the first guy in a long time that IMO had a 100% no questions asked right to the trophy. If Bush didn't exsist, or if VY played a different year the trophy is his. Personally, I think that Matt shouldn't have won and the trophy should have gone to Bush or AD.

Either way, Crouch is deserving of more credit than he is getting here. Catagory has pleanty to do with it, because it decides how a defense will play you. Crouch probably never saw a nickle package in his life. Vince had a run/throw option. VY had the opportunity to have the D drop back in to coverage and then take off. That's a big advantage.

humblesooner
1/12/2006, 05:50 PM
Crouch was a great runner. Not as great as Vince ;)

Can we return back to the proper topic here after the jack -- How much tail Leinart is no longer pulling after becoming just another loser in LA?

Silly silly whorn.
That Ball Room dancing got him more action than any fooball game!!

Octavian
1/12/2006, 05:53 PM

Say what you want about the Heisman, it's the most prestigious individual award in sports and I don't here whorns ever trying to downplay Ricky or Earl's Heismans.

The "category" is appropriate. This isn't basketball (and who's Mike Jordan?). If you think of the perfect wishbone or triple-option I quarterback, it certainly wouldn't be Vince. But from a spread, shot-gun formation where he can run or throw, VY's your man. If Vince is a mere "running quarterback," then you as a whorn are saying Vince is an ineffective passer....guess we've finally gotten through to you.

stoopified
1/12/2006, 06:02 PM
he'll be the first real triple backfield threat - QB/RB/WR. Actually, I've even seen him throw a block. Favorite play - "You ten guys go left and I'll juke the rest of them to the right. On 2. Break"Actually his favorite play is Dave(Thomas) I'll lokk for you and if you are not wide open,I will tuck it and run like hell.Unfortunately for myself and most Sooners that play worked all too well this year.Vy has a shot but could end up like Kordell Stewart.If he is to be a starting qb he has to do two things,1)Improve passing mechanics.@0 Take apage from other athletic qbs of the past(Steve Young,Donovan McNabb,Warren Moon, and others that he wyll make his career passing,not running in the NFL.Vick still has not learned that lesson and despite his great athletic ability is not yet a great QB.

Texas Golfer
1/12/2006, 06:54 PM

To say that Vince was robbed this year is like saying Josh Heupel was robbed in 2000 when Chris Wenke won it.

Although Vinny may have been worthy, nobody without bias can say he deserved it over Reggie Bush.

That being said, prior to this season, I was in the "Vinny won't play QB in the NFL camp". I've come to disagree with myself on this issue. Vinny has shown that he can be an NFL QB on the likes of a Michael Vick. I wish him luck.

OUGreg723
1/12/2006, 07:18 PM
I think Vince can be better than Vick. He is a much better leader, and I think he has enormous upside and potential. Vince was also 10x the passer in college that Vick was. He also is an All-American and winner of numerous awards. Oh yeah and led his team to the National Title.

Personally, I think Mike Vick is good, but very overrated. I think Vince is going to become one of the NFL's dominant QB's. Who knows. Time will tell.

BASSooner
1/12/2006, 07:43 PM
Vince will be great I know that. I wonder exactly HOW great he will be