PDA

View Full Version : Wyatt to Vikes....

The Consumate Showman
1/12/2006, 11:49 AM
All signs are pointing to Coach Wyatt going to the Vikings this week. Heard Hale said it would be an "upset" if Wyatt didn't take the job this week some time.

Darrell, why the Vikings???? At least go to a team with some decent management, ownership, and players.....

OklahomaTuba
1/12/2006, 12:28 PM
That would suck.

Hope we can find another guy who can recruit and develop players like that guy can.

I wouldn't mind seeing him back at OU next time we need an OC or head coach even?

The Consumate Showman
1/12/2006, 01:01 PM
OC, yes..

HC, ??

He would really hae to prove himself in the NFL b-4 that...

Rhino
1/12/2006, 01:11 PM
Also, rumblings about Cosgove leaving his Nebbish DC post to coach the Vikes' LBs.

The Consumate Showman
1/12/2006, 01:12 PM
who would OU get as a pass game coord???

Sooner in Tampa
1/12/2006, 01:15 PM
who would OU get as a pass game coord???I would think that we can go out and get just about anybody we would want.

Mjcpr
1/12/2006, 01:17 PM
If it happens, hopefully we look for a dynamic recruiter in addition to a solid position coach. Every good team's staff seems to have one guy that is widely recognized as a "great recruiter". Evidently, Wyatt was ours.

Jimminy Crimson
1/12/2006, 01:18 PM

ThugU fired a few offensive guys... They've done alright over the past few years and might have some nice FL (and east coast) connections.

Roberto has his connections. I'm not worried about finding someone. You just hate to see Wyatt go b/c he is a stud. Whatever he feels is best for him, though.

The Consumate Showman
1/12/2006, 01:19 PM
yes, we do need another recruiter type, preferrably someone who can get kids outta Tejas...

caphorns
1/12/2006, 01:50 PM
Also, rumblings about Cosgove leaving his Nebbish DC post to coach the Vikes' LBs.

That would be VERY good news IMO.

picasso
1/12/2006, 01:59 PM
that would be a good move for Wyatt, I wish him the best regardless of what he chooses.

mrowl
1/12/2006, 02:21 PM
there is no way it would be as OC. He doesn't have the experience.

OUthunder
1/12/2006, 02:37 PM
I just read today's sports news in the Star Tribune (Minnesota's biggest newspaper) and his name was not mentioned, but about 20 other coaches names were. I doubt very much that he'd be a coordinator in the NFL right now.

Socrefbek
1/12/2006, 02:42 PM

We already hired him from 'Zona :D

GottaHavePride
1/12/2006, 03:10 PM
Why do we need separate pass and run-game coordinators? Seems like way too many links in the chain of command. How about just one offensive coordinator and a bunch of position coaches?

Harry Beanbag
1/12/2006, 03:20 PM
Why do we need separate pass and run-game coordinators? Seems like way too many links in the chain of command. How about just one offensive coordinator and a bunch of position coaches?

Would be nice. Maybe some day when we're not breaking in a brand new OC it'll happen. This even sounds like the perfect opportunity for it. Hire a very good OL coach and free up Wilson.

Mjcpr
1/12/2006, 03:20 PM

We don't. It's just that they've given people that title because I think you're not allowed to hire somebody laterally....it would have to be a promotion, so they stick the Co-OC or whatever label on them to make the move and to keep someone else from hiring them away. Plus, it probably allows us to pay them more.

I THINK I've heard that lateral move thing before, but I could be wrong about that. Maybe it was the NFL....I dunno.

Harry Beanbag
1/12/2006, 03:23 PM
So Colorado broke yet another NCAA rule by hiring Boise State's head coach to be their head coach? ;)

The Consumate Showman
1/12/2006, 03:23 PM
We already hired him from 'Zona :D

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2006, 03:31 PM

bill snyder started this when he hired bob stoops as DC. its a way of splitting up the prep work so that you can have a better overall gameplan. if you have 1 person totally concentrate on one facet of the offense or defense then you can do twice the prep work as 1 person doing the entire offense or entire defense.

NormanPride
1/12/2006, 03:44 PM
The problem comes with the meshing of the staff. For instance, don't you agree that our offense looked a whole lot "smoother" against Oregon? Now the question becomes whether or not Wilson can do it with just 5-6 days to prepare.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2006, 03:51 PM
imo, the offensive and defensive philosophies should come from the head coach i.e. this is the "style" of offense we want to run with a general thought on whether you want to run more or pass more. this is the philosophy you recruit too.

the coordinators should then flex the philosophy to maximize the talent mix that you have every year. for example, if you have a dominant running back, you may skew the runs a little higher, etc. the key item is that you may appear to be different every year but you still recruit the same types of players so you have a more limited variance.

MikeInNorman
1/12/2006, 04:14 PM
imo, the offensive and defensive philosophies should come from the head coach i.e. this is the "style" of offense we want to run with a general thought on whether you want to run more or pass more. this is the philosophy you recruit too.

the coordinators should then flex the philosophy to maximize the talent mix that you have every year. for example, if you have a dominant running back, you may skew the runs a little higher, etc. the key item is that you may appear to be different every year but you still recruit the same types of players so you have a more limited variance.

And thus the mistake of hiring Pellini.

NormanPride
1/12/2006, 04:15 PM
It's nice if you can pull that off all the time, but if you have too many cooks in the kitchen, like we did this past season, then it's hard to just "flex" without hacking some coordinators off.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2006, 04:30 PM
And thus the mistake of hiring Pellini.

not to mention norvell. you hire position coaches that recruit athletes that fit your style at a certain position. one of the things that bothers me about our WR recruiting is that we've been short some possession guys. before stoops, OU has always been able to get a corey warren type WR, but iglesias is about the first guy like that we've landed like that in a while.

OUstudent4life
1/12/2006, 04:43 PM
so, mr. pifwafwi, who do you think Stoops goes after. Or who would you like him to go after?

NormanPride
1/12/2006, 04:43 PM
Clayton? Or was he a Spurrier Jr. guy?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2006, 04:52 PM
so, mr. pifwafwi, who do you think Stoops goes after. Or who would you like him to go after?

deion sanders, but i'm not sure that there would be room for any fans at owen field...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2006, 04:53 PM
Clayton? Or was he a Spurrier Jr. guy?

that whole class was SOS jr as was travis wilson.

Soonerman08
1/12/2006, 04:56 PM
Spurrier Jr. would be a nice welcome back. I don't know too many great wide receiver coaches floating around, his name was one that just popped into my mind. I think Stoops' moves recruiting coordinator around to a different coach, maybe back to Wright or Gundy. (I believe Wright was our previous coordinator for recruiting, though I could be wrong).

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2006, 04:59 PM
gundy is the current recruiting coordinator

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2006, 05:19 PM
And in the middle of the day....

Rhino
1/12/2006, 05:30 PM
deion sanders, but i'm not sure that there would be room for any fans at owen field... hahahaha. That's one way to get Devine on campus.

Tear Down This Wall
1/12/2006, 05:59 PM
Good riddance as far as I'm concerned. Get a WR coach more like Steve Spurrier, Jr. who had guys ready to make a serious impact from the beginning of the season even as freshman.
Anyone remember 2001? The Texas game? Nate all beat to hell from the KSU game? Jason White having to step in for his first real college playing time?

And the receiver who gave Texas fits all day long? Freshman Mark Clayton. Ring a bell? Compare and contrast that action to the freshman receivers under Wyatt this year dropping dadgum near everything until late October.

Bye-bye, Darrell Wyatt. Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out, buddy. Chisler.