PDA

View Full Version : Home Court Advantage!!!

JohnnyMack
1/12/2006, 10:24 AM
Two nights ago I watched in horror as 6500 Sooner fans sat on their collective hands and the rest dressed as empty seats and saw OU lose a home game it had no business losing. The crowd sucked. No other way to look at it, that's pathetic. Any and all home court advantage was wasted.

Yesterday I get a call from my Poke friend (the one who had to buy me dinner at Mahogany for running his mouth off about how grand his football program was going to be in '05, but I digress) who said he had an extra ticket to the Sheep Humpers vs. the Cult. My woman had a girlfriend in town so I figure, why not?

Now keep in mind this is a very young (they started 3 freshman and had 4 - 5 on the court at times) Cowboy team that entered the season unranked. Expectations weren't all that high, not so high as say a squad that was preseason top 5 in most polls. Oklahoma State fans don't care. They roll out and support their team. Yes they're sheep humpers, yes they have delusions of granduer about the status of their football program, yes they're just aggies, but they're better basketball fans than we are.

We (myself included as I don't attend as many games as I should) the Sooner Nation are failing this basketball team right now. It's our job as fans to pick up a team when they struggle, it's our job as fans to get behind them and cheer for them no matter what.

OSU basketball fans get it. OU basketball fans don't get it.

Boomer.....
1/12/2006, 02:51 PM
OSU basketball fans get it. OU basketball fans don't get it.

OU football fans get it, OSU football fans don't get it.

It will always be true no matter how good the basketball team is. OU is a football school. OSU is a basketball school.

OUstud
1/12/2006, 06:14 PM
Don't get THAT behind Pickens State, they don't sell out every game. Last night was their first sellout.

JohnnyMack
1/12/2006, 06:17 PM
Don't get THAT behind Pickens State, they don't sell out every game. Last night was their first sellout.

The atmosphere at an OSU basketball game pwns the atmosphere at an OU basketball game. I'm a die hard Sooner, but I can at least admit that.

TopDawg
1/12/2006, 06:26 PM
In general, that's true. But it's not as if the worst OSU game is still better, atmosphere-wise, than the best OU game. OSU has their fair share of boring games too.

In my opinion, the main difference is that OSU doesn't have all of their games broadcast on TV. Therefore, we typically only see their bigger games, the ones that the atmosphere is naturally better for, and we miss a lot of their East Popcorn State games which don't have the crowd support. But with OU, we see just about every last one of them, so we're more aware of the bad ones.

Again, I agree that in general OSU has a better atmosphere than us, but I think our perception of their atmosphere might be a bit inflated by us and the general perception of our atmosphere might be a bit underrated by us.

JohnnyMack
1/12/2006, 08:52 PM
In general, that's true. But it's not as if the worst OSU game is still better, atmosphere-wise, than the best OU game. OSU has their fair share of boring games too.

In my opinion, the main difference is that OSU doesn't have all of their games broadcast on TV. Therefore, we typically only see their bigger games, the ones that the atmosphere is naturally better for, and we miss a lot of their East Popcorn State games which don't have the crowd support. But with OU, we see just about every last one of them, so we're more aware of the bad ones.

Again, I agree that in general OSU has a better atmosphere than us, but I think our perception of their atmosphere might be a bit inflated by us and the general perception of our atmosphere might be a bit underrated by us.

I've been to 3 OSU games in my life. Once years ago against Saxet, last year against Saxet (when OSU choked away a shot at the title) and yesterday against the Cult. Each one was pretty intense and something that DOES need to be mentioned is the physical layout of the stadium. GIA is like playing in a blender, you're right on top of the game. At LNC it's flatter, more removed from the action. Also the lighting IS better at GIA than it is at LNC.

Don't get me wrong, I've been to LOTS of energetic frenetic games at LNC that rival anything GIA has to offer. That being said, I still think Boone State fans support their program better than we do and I offer up as exhibits 1 and 2 the OU v. Mizzou game and the OSU v. The Cult games that were played this week.

TopDawg
1/13/2006, 12:40 AM
That being said, I still think Boone State fans support their program better than we do

Yeah, I'm not trying to deny that...I just believe the gap is closer than most people think.

stoopified
1/13/2006, 01:43 AM
OU football fans get it, OSU football fans don't get it.

It will always be true no matter how good the basketball team is. OU is a football school. OSU is a basketball school.No in reality OSU is a wrasslin' school that fields football and basketball teams. As soon as Eddie retires they will sink back into the mediocrity they have lived in since Iba's glory days in the fourities.The crowds will dwindle and they will once again save their fervor for watching two half-naked men roll around on the floor together.Personally I do not get it( two half-naked women,I could understand and would have season tickets for.)
Having said that ,yes we are a football first school and basketball is aiways a distant second.
On the other hand in Stoolwater in the dead of winter after they hump sheep they go indoors to theG-I barn to warm up,flush with enegy from farm lovin'.

49r
1/13/2006, 04:44 PM
I thought they were a baseball school?

TopDawg
1/13/2006, 04:57 PM
I think y'all are being a little too liberal with the term "school."

GDC
1/13/2006, 09:13 PM
No in reality OSU is a wrasslin' school that fields football and basketball teams. As soon as Eddie retires they will sink back into the mediocrity they have lived in since Iba's glory days in the fourities.The crowds will dwindle and they will once again save their fervor for watching two half-naked men roll around on the floor together.Personally I do not get it( two half-naked women,I could understand and would have season tickets for.)
Having said that ,yes we are a football first school and basketball is aiways a distant second.
On the other hand in Stoolwater in the dead of winter after they hump sheep they go indoors to theG-I barn to warm up,flush with enegy from farm lovin'.

No need to denigrate wrestling because we're ****ed about basketball. That in and of itself strikes me as aggie-esque.

oumartin
1/13/2006, 09:59 PM
Heres what I think.
I think fans are more basketball educated now then they were say, 15-20 years ago. If OU were to put a product on the court that didnt' put you to sleep and was exciting to watch I think you would see more people in those seats. IMO.

JohnnyMack
1/13/2006, 10:51 PM
Heres what I think.
I think fans are more basketball educated now then they were say, 15-20 years ago. If OU were to put a product on the court that didnt' put you to sleep and was exciting to watch I think you would see more people in those seats. IMO.

Thing is right now OSU's product isn't that good. They're sloppier than we are (if that's possible). They have NO interior game. They have some street ballers who are carrying them right now, but the crowd doesn't care. They show up, they're loud regardless of the product on the court.

oumartin
1/13/2006, 10:52 PM
but they are really athletic, I've watched them play on television a bit. And yes they are young and not too good but they are exciting and the potential is unreal.
but i hear ya.

stoopified
1/14/2006, 02:54 AM
No need to denigrate wrestling because we're ****ed about basketball. That in and of itself strikes me as aggie-esque.
Nothing aggie about.I simply expressed my disdain for wrasslin'.Reread my above post as to why I am dismissive.