PDA

View Full Version : Standardized Test Thread

The Consumate Showman
1/12/2006, 09:32 AM
they

SUCK:eek: :eek: :eek:

Harry Beanbag
1/12/2006, 10:13 AM
We already have one of these threads. You don't have to start another one.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57390&page=5

;)

LSUdeek
1/12/2006, 10:18 AM
I'm gonna quote Kels in this thread.

Yeah, ask jkm how many wunderkinds from SHS '90 actually finished college, let alone in a standard four years and/or without losing their scholarships due to bad grades. Including me and him . . .

Standardized testing is a pitiful barometer for success in life.

They aren't a barometer for success in life. They're a barometer for success in college! That's why one of them is called the "American College Test". They also gauge the following:

1) intelligence...
2) critical thinking skills
3) proficiency in the finer nuances of the English language
4) ability to quickly answer math questions

I wish people would quit bitching about them. Quit acting like all of the exams in college aren't timed.

The Consumate Showman
1/12/2006, 10:42 AM
We already have one of these threads. You don't have to start another one.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57390&page=5

;)

Widescreen asked for one so I started one for him.... ;)

:cool:

Kels
1/12/2006, 03:34 PM
They aren't a barometer for success in life. They're a barometer for success in college! That's why one of them is called the "American College Test". They also gauge the following:

1) intelligence...
2) critical thinking skills
3) proficiency in the finer nuances of the English language

I wish people would quit bitching about them. Quit acting like all of the exams in college aren't timed.

If you will read my post carefully, you will see my illustration that there are those who have high standardized test scores that do not perform well in college. That is why schools like OU have sunk millions into mentoring programs, accountability structures, and the like for their scholars/honors program in the last 10 years--retention has been a problem.

I have seen this in my own educational journey, as well as working with university students for the last 8 years. Therefore, I feel that standardized testing is not an accurate predictor of success in life, and since the context of the discussion is college . . . well, follow through on point number two of your post.

LSUdeek
1/12/2006, 04:29 PM
If you will read my post carefully, you will see my illustration that there are those who have high standardized test scores that do not perform well in college. That is why schools like OU have sunk millions into mentoring programs, accountability structures, and the like for their scholars/honors program in the last 10 years--retention has been a problem.

I would argue 100% that this has to do with motivation and application.
Standardized tests gauge all of the subjects that should have been taught in a high school curriculum... with the exception that I believe the ACT and SAT have probability math questions which aren't taught in any high school level math classes that I know of.

Many high school students apply themselves while their parents are staring over their shoulders and when it's their own time, they drop the ball. Not a fault of the standardized test system.

I have seen this in my own educational journey, as well as working with university students for the last 8 years. Therefore, I feel that standardized testing is not an accurate predictor of success in life, and since the context of the discussion is college . . . well, follow through on point number two of your post.

You basically said your Latino friend makes $120K, and didn't do well on standardized tests so QED they are crap. What you didn't say is what college he went to, what degree he got, and what people he knew that were able to hook him up with such a phat position.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2006, 04:38 PM
he went to OU (so did i). he has a degree in economics (i was chemE). oh, half of the people we knew went to work for that bank.

GottaHavePride
1/12/2006, 05:02 PM
They also gauge the following:

1) Knowledge of the test format
2) ability to figure out what answer they want to hear
3) vocabulary

Fixed. ;)