PDA

View Full Version : hey, good jorb ingratiating yourselves to the next Supreme Court justice

Okla-homey
1/11/2006, 09:35 PM
I'm certain soon-to-be Justice Alito will have fond memories of Senate Dems and their causes for the rest of his 30 or so years on the Supreme Court.:eek:

Essential truth: You make a guy's Mrs. cry, and he'll figure out a way to get you back when it hurts the most.

From Drudge:

Judge Samuel A. Alito’s wife Martha left the confirmation hearing room in tears this evening, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) apologized to the Judge’s family for the behavior of his fellow committee members during the course of the last three days.

Sen. Graham said: “Judge Alito, I am sorry that you’ve had to go through this. I am sorry that your family has had to sit here and listen to this.”

Democrats on the Judiciary Committee have attacked Judge Samuel A. Alito over his membership in Concerned Alumni of Princeton and his involvement in the Vanguard case.

One senior Republican in the hearing room said of the situation: “After three full days of attacks against her husband’s character, Mrs. Alito had enough. Democrat behavior during this hearing has not only been wrong, it’s been embarrassing. Ted Kennedy is nothing but a bully.”

TUSooner
1/11/2006, 10:18 PM
I'd say he was being pretty nice to that disgusting, soulless, pig, Ted Kennedy.

KABOOKIE
1/11/2006, 10:22 PM
Duuuuuuh. Muhster Aleeeetoh. Whah you a membaaar of a club that seeked to baaaar weeemin from ahtending Princeton?
http://www.evote.com/evotepix/events/demconvention2000/sen_ted_kennedy_of_ma_speech.jpg

No. Our club tried to get women drunk and drive them off a bridge.:rolleyes:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/images/news/photos/judges_alito.jpg

soonerscuba
1/11/2006, 10:40 PM
Well maybe he should have thought of his wife before he became a bigot and sexist. ;) (kinda)

KABOOKIE
1/11/2006, 10:52 PM
Well maybe he should have thought of his wife before he became a bigot and sexist. ;) (kinda)

I doubt Sen Kennedy knew Alito's wife before the hearings.

Rhino
1/11/2006, 11:09 PM
What line of question was so bad? Honest question.

Okla-homey
1/11/2006, 11:20 PM

IMHO, heres the dealio. He's going to be confirmed. They know it, but they want to discredit him somehow anyway for purely political reasons.

jk the sooner fan
1/11/2006, 11:34 PM

please tell me you're kidding.......

handcrafted
1/11/2006, 11:41 PM
The jackasses (dems) are just posturing, 'cuz they know they've already lost. Judge Alito will be confirmed and stuff is gonna be different on the high court for a while.

I can't wait to see how the liberal media spins this one. :D

Rhino
1/11/2006, 11:43 PM
I'm sorry I wasn't watching CNBC all day. I don't know what line of questioning they were asking that Sen. Graham apologized for.

jk the sooner fan
1/11/2006, 11:45 PM
so then you dont know if they were honest questions or not?

i'm betting you could spot the difference between political grandstanding....even by those on the left, and a simple honest question

Rhino
1/11/2006, 11:46 PM
I was asking an honest question, not saying they were.

jk the sooner fan
1/11/2006, 11:48 PM
ahh, i thought you were answering your question....

my bad

kennedy was being his normal self......alito was a member of some alumni organization at princeton that has espoused some elitist views in the past, however its been made fairly clear that he wasnt an active member, and never aligned himself with those views

it wasnt really a line of questioning......more a line of attacking and assigning guilt by a very weak association

Okla-homey
1/11/2006, 11:51 PM

And I tried to sincerely answer your question. I watched it off and on throughout the day. FWIW, it was pretty bad. Not quite, "Did your parents have any children that lived?" but pretty bad. Very un-statesman-like and to no purpose other than trying to make him look bad. Alito, to his credit, took the high road and remained respectful throughout.

Sooner in Tampa
1/12/2006, 06:44 AM
The total grand standing by jackass Kennedy was what most people are talking about. Kennedy wanted to submit a request for a subpeona about this CAP (Concerned Alumni for Princeton) organization. Spector said that the would "consider" it...Kennedy then threatened Spector by saying that if he didn't get his way he would bog the commitee down in vote after vote. Spector didn't take kindly to the threat and told Kennedy he would think about the request and rule on it later...soooooo drunk as Ted kept going on and on about how he would appeal his ruling. It was really pretty good.

85Sooner
1/12/2006, 08:46 AM
Really, there needs to be a new election PSA for all of america.

Throw ALL SENATORS OUT.Yes, YOURS TOO! THat should be the motto

These blowhards have been up there so long they are beginning to look likw the furniture and their pontificating makes me want to beat the $hit out of someone.

Sooner in Tampa
1/12/2006, 08:50 AM
Really, there needs to be a new election PSA for all of america.

Throw ALL SENATORS OUT.Yes, YOURS TOO! THat should be the motto

These blowhards have been up there so long they are beginning to look likw the furniture and their pontificating makes me want to beat the $hit out of someone.Yes sir they have...Kennedy's drunken *** has been there since 1962 or something like that. :(

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2006, 08:53 AM
i'd be all for term limits for senators and congressmen

85Sooner
1/12/2006, 09:02 AM

I used to be against them but I think the time has come. Without it all we are going to get are career blowhards who could care less about us.

Interesting thing. I received the entire BBC WWII history on DVD. I thought I knew Alot about WWII but I was very wrong. This series is fandamtastic.

I say this because my wife and I were watching it and were surprised how much todays political world looks just like it was in the late 30's just before the war.

Scary.

Harry Beanbag
1/12/2006, 09:12 AM

I'm all for it too. Unfortunately, don't the senators and congressmen have to pass a law like that? Don't see it happening.

85Sooner
1/12/2006, 09:16 AM
I'm all for it too. Unfortunately, don't the senators and congressmen have to pass a law like that? Don't see it happening.

Actually they don't. There just needs to be some major PR work advertising and stressing the need to remove the incumbens. ALL INCUMBANTS. Make it a major national campaign.

OklahomaTuba
1/12/2006, 09:43 AM
Nice.

PAPER: Sen. Kennedy was member of all-male club
Wed Jan 11 2006 22:40:10 ET

Conservative activists are eager to point out that Sen Ted Kennedy was on shaky ground accusing the Judge Alito of associating with people opposed to the inclusion of women in private institutions, the WASHINGTON TIMES is fronting on Thursday.

The eight-term senator belonged to an all-male social club -- the Owl -- at Harvard University. The Owl refused to admit women until it was forced to do so during the 1980s, according to records kept by the HARVARD CRIMSON, the student newspaper.

A Kennedy spokeswoman said it was an entirely different matter.

"No one can question Senator Kennedy's commitment to equality, justice and civil rights," said Laura Capps. "What he was part of was a social club, not a radical group pushing a radical agenda."

Anyway, she said, even though women were admitted to the university during Mr. Kennedy's tenure, they weren't fully integrated to the campus until much later.

Developing...
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash6.htm

SoonerProphet
1/12/2006, 09:44 AM
i know that bullsh*t lines of questioning like these are pretty much par for the course during hearings of this type, but i wonder if ol' statist ted would have challenged a democratic president's nominee regarding his stance on executive power. somehow i doubt it.

85Sooner
1/12/2006, 10:02 AM
i know that bullsh*t lines of questioning like these are pretty much par for the course during hearings of this type, but i wonder if ol' statist ted would have challenged a democratic president's nominee regarding his stance on executive power. somehow i doubt it.

It really has gotten uglier. The dems judges did not get the hate mongering that ted is doing. He needs to join his brothers.

My prediction is there will be another vacancy in the next two years and that will be a huge dogfight.

VeeJay
1/12/2006, 10:53 AM
If there's another vacancy, I'd like to see Bill Clinton nominated. Just because he's been disbarred in Arkansas, he can still be a SC justice, can't he?

Think his nomination would sail through?

Talk about your 24/7 news channels melting down...

GrapevineSooner
1/12/2006, 11:59 AM
Being lectured on personal ethics by Ted Kennedy would be like being lectured on basketball coaching ethics by Dave Bliss.

Sooner in Tampa
1/12/2006, 12:12 PM
Being lectured on personal ethics by Ted Kennedy would be like being lectured on basketball coaching ethics by Dave Bliss.or being lectured by BikerFox about tasteful photography :eek:

picasso
1/12/2006, 12:18 PM
me too! the problem is they would have to vote for it.:D

I've thought all along that career politicians are no good for anyone, both parties included.

Oldnslo
1/12/2006, 12:43 PM
If there's another vacancy, I'd like to see Bill Clinton nominated. Just because he's been disbarred in Arkansas, he can still be a SC justice, can't he?

You don't even have to be a lawyer to be on the SC, if memory serves.

But, these days, pretty much everyone does have to at least be a lawyer. One of the problems Harriet had was that she wasn't a judge, and that sure isn't a requirement.

BoomerJack
1/12/2006, 12:49 PM
Boo hoo hoo. Poor Ms. Alito got her feelings hurt and had to go home to beddie bye.

Give me a break!!!. Conservatives have been throwing elbows at perceived opponents in the political arena for about 15 - 20 years now and have shown little if any remorse for it if it upsets someones family. Judge Alito and his family should have known that this might happen and if they can't take it they should get back under the porch and stay away from the big dogs.

Sooner in Tampa
1/12/2006, 01:12 PM
Boo hoo hoo. Poor Ms. Alito got her feelings hurt and had to go home to beddie bye.

Give me a break!!!. Conservatives have been throwing elbows at perceived opponents in the political arena for about 15 - 20 years now and have shown little if any remorse for it if it upsets someones family. Judge Alito and his family should have known that this might happen and if they can't take it they should get back under the porch and stay away from the big dogs.She didn't have to go home, she just took a break and she returned after a recess. It is nice to see some compassion for a mans family. The ONLY problem the Dems have with Alito is their concern to keep Roe v Wade on the books. They don't care how good of a judge Alito is. Pretty sad state of affairs in our political system.
The bottom line is the Alito will sit on the bench and there is really nothing that anybody can do about. :P

Okla-homey
1/12/2006, 02:39 PM
Methinks the thought of a consistently conservative 6-3 majority on the SC scares the bejebus out of the libs.

Just wait til next time when conservatives have the opportunity to make it a solid 7-2 for a long time (because the conservative justices are all pretty young.) There will be steam coming out of the ears and foaming at the mouth on the dem side.:eek:

Who's next to retire? Breyer or Ginsburg?

Rhino
1/12/2006, 03:07 PM
The ONLY problem the Dems have with Alito is their concern to keep Roe v Wade on the books. They don't care how good of a judge Alito is. Pretty sad state of affairs in our political system. Uh, isn't RvW the Republicans' sole concern here too?

Harry Beanbag
1/12/2006, 03:14 PM
Uh, isn't RvW the Republicans' sole concern here too?

Probably. Personally, I'm sick to death of abortion being the overriding issue in this country. There are numerous problems that are more important to the vast majority of Americans.

Rhino
1/12/2006, 03:15 PM
Personally, I'm sick to death of abortion being the overriding issue in this country. There are numerous problems that are more important to the vast majority of Americans. I agree 100%.

Fugue
1/12/2006, 03:21 PM

Give me a break!!!. Conservatives have been throwing elbows at perceived opponents in the political arena for about 15 - 20 years now and have shown little if any remorse for it if it upsets someones family.

not potential SC justices and this may have been what caught her off guard.

BoomerJack
1/12/2006, 04:08 PM
not potential SC justices and this may have been what caught her off guard.

They went after Clarence Thomas pretty good over possible sexual harrassment. Considerably more serious than this issue with Alito IMO.

Robert Bork had a tough go as well though I don't recall specifics.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/12/2006, 04:21 PM
Uh, isn't RvW the Republicans' sole concern here too?I think not. There's eminent domain problems, euthanasia, and other issues. Also, they put Clarence Thomas through all kinds of hell. They treated him(as they now also treat Condoleeza Rice) in ways that no Republican could ever treat a black dim and expect to stay in office.

Ike
1/12/2006, 04:59 PM
one thing I've noticed from listening periodically to these committe hearings is that the senators (on both sides) seem more interested in espousing their views and either lauding praise upon or directing attacks toward Judge Alito. Very few of them seem to be interested in actually listening to him, and act as though their minds are already made up on which way they will vote. the Repubs seem to be lobbing softball questions at him that really don't seem to require a lot of thought to answer (for anyone), and the Dems seem more interested in trying to back him into a corner and get him to say something dumb (which he hasn't so far).

GottaHavePride
1/12/2006, 05:04 PM
That's modern politics in a nutshell. It isn't about who believes what or principles. It's a way of keeping score.

soonerscuba
1/12/2006, 08:42 PM
For all y'all term limiters, hate to rain on your parade, but the reason there isn't term limits is because it is a bad idea. I think a lot of people underestimate the importance of the committee system in relation to policy development. It isn't glamourous, and it isn't interesting for the most part, and rarely makes the news, but policy development is the primary role of the Congress. By having members serve on committees for extended periods of time they become experts in a particular realm of policy that they are passionate about, for example, the sway that McCain dicates through water rights to multiple tribes of Native Americans is masterful, and some Johnny Come-Lately ain't about to replicate that.

On a side note these people don't elect themselves, if you want to term limit someone, vote for option B.

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2006, 09:01 PM
2 terms for a senator is 12 years, i think thats plenty....

KABOOKIE
1/12/2006, 09:36 PM
Nice. Not to mention that 2nd term isn't a guarantee either.

85Sooner
1/12/2006, 09:38 PM

Give me a break!!!. Conservatives have been throwing elbows at perceived opponents in the political arena for about 15 - 20 years now and have shown little if any remorse for it if it upsets someones family. Judge Alito and his family should have known that this might happen and if they can't take it they should get back under the porch and stay away from the big dogs.

Really? didn;t see this kind of rhetoric for your ACLU B!tch sittin on the court did you my friend.

85Sooner
1/12/2006, 09:41 PM
2 terms for a senator is 12 years, i think thats plenty....

agreed, make those idiots have to pay for their votes rather than getting their cronies to vote a certain way because the ignorant public will forget about it in six years.

47straight
1/13/2006, 01:01 AM
It really has gotten uglier. The dems judges did not get the hate mongering that ted is doing. He needs to join his brothers.

My prediction is there will be another vacancy in the next two years and that will be a huge dogfight.

I think Robert Bork's nomination process was far worse in terms of the personal attacks, distortions (borderline lies), grandstanding, etc. Thomas's was bad too, but Bork's was the worst.

The biggest difference now is which party controls the Senate.

SoonerBorn68
1/13/2006, 01:49 AM

Judge Alito should have been treated as a Federal judge, not like some sort of Spanish Inquisition. (MP implied)

This post just epitomizes the reason why I really don't care for liberals. It's all political. It doesn't matter about basic courtesy or the ability to carry on a conversation intelligently.

And yes, I toned it down a helluva lot.

Insert 40 word name calling tirad here.

I really, really tried to stay out of this thread

SicEmBaylor
1/13/2006, 02:28 AM

There are soooo many things I'd like to say to respond to that question. But 99% of my life is politics, and I refuse to extend that to my posting on soonerfans. I refuse to get sucked into the south oval political trap! :-)

Sooner in Tampa
1/13/2006, 06:49 AM
Uh, isn't RvW the Republicans' sole concern here too?I think that the Republicans are concered about RvW, but not to the degree that the Dems are.
I too am sick of abortion being the single most important issue. Judge the dude on his merits of applying the law...nothing more...nothing less. If he is a fair and impartial judge then he should be confirmed.

Fugue
1/13/2006, 10:37 AM
They went after Clarence Thomas pretty good over possible sexual harrassment. Considerably more serious than this issue with Alito IMO.

Robert Bork had a tough go as well though I don't recall specifics.

"They" weren't Republicans.

Sooner in Tampa
1/13/2006, 10:39 AM
"They" weren't Republicans.Come on now...don't be using facts.:P

Fugue
1/13/2006, 10:43 AM
Come on now...don't be using facts.:P

Repubs get there political jabs in, in a lot of areas but so far this really hasn't been one of them.

Sooner in Tampa
1/13/2006, 11:12 AM
Repubs get there political jabs in, in a lot of areas but so far this really hasn't been one of them.You are 100% correct...ALL pols do it.

JohnnyMack
1/13/2006, 01:30 PM
The Republican Party controls the senate by a comfortable margin. Alito is a nominee of a Republican President. Alito seems to be more conservative than Roberts, more in the Scalia mold. The Republicans and every conservative think tank and radio host is clamoring for an "up or down vote" of Alito, saying these hearings don't prove anything and that the Democrats are simply taking pot shots at Alito. I guess my question is, would the Republicans be so gung-ho and so holier than thou about treating him with respect and demanding an up or down vote if the Senate were leaning 55 - 44 to the Donkeys? I just think it's politics as usual from both sides, the Republicans know they're going to get the court leaning back towards their direction and the Democrats are hoping that if they fling enough **** at the wall some of it will stick and it will be enough to sway the votes of enough Republican Senators to block Alito's confirmation.

I personally think it's sad that the SCOTUS has any lean at all, but I'm not so naive as to think it'll ever change.

Fugue
1/13/2006, 01:41 PM
The Republican Party controls the senate by a comfortable margin. Alito is a nominee of a Republican President. Alito seems to be more conservative than Roberts, more in the Scalia mold. The Republicans and every conservative think tank and radio host is clamoring for an "up or down vote" of Alito, saying these hearings don't prove anything and that the Democrats are simply taking pot shots at Alito. I guess my question is, would the Republicans be so gung-ho and so holier than thou about treating him with respect and demanding an up or down vote if the Senate were leaning 55 - 44 to the Donkeys? I just think it's politics as usual from both sides, the Republicans know they're going to get the court leaning back towards their direction and the Democrats are hoping that if they fling enough **** at the wall some of it will stick and it will be enough to sway the votes of enough Republican Senators to block Alito's confirmation.

I personally think it's sad that the SCOTUS has any lean at all, but I'm not so naive as to think it'll ever change.

I would hope either political party would be gung-ho about treating a nominee with respect.
I think the answer to your question would be an absolute yes as the dems in your scenario would control the comittee(I think) and could shelve a candidate before an up or down vote.

soonerscuba
1/13/2006, 04:27 PM
Wow, apparently the Republicans on this board have forgotten the year of 1998 and the roughly fifteen million tax-dollars they spent on a character attack, but you're right Senate questioning of a guy with a clear agenda is just awful and the Republicans would never stoop to such a level. :rolleyes:

Fugue
1/13/2006, 04:30 PM
Wow, apparently the Republicans on this board have forgotten the year of 1998 and the roughly fifteen million tax-dollars they spent on a character attack, but you're right Senate questioning of a guy with a clear agenda is just awful and the Republicans would never stoop to such a level. :rolleyes:

who is this aimed at?

soonerscuba
1/13/2006, 04:40 PM
who is this aimed at?

The people shattering their glass houses that suggest that somehow the Republicans are above character assassinations.

Fugue
1/13/2006, 04:41 PM
The people shattering their glass houses that suggest that somehow the Republicans are above character assassinations.

which Supreme Court nominee was up in 1998?

soonerscuba
1/13/2006, 04:43 PM
I was refering to Clinton.

Fugue
1/13/2006, 04:47 PM
I was refering to Clinton.

I know.

I guess I was just confused at the timing of your post as there was agreement that character assassination is just part of the deal now in both parties.