PDA

View Full Version : Spruce up the LNC

OUstud
1/11/2006, 07:08 PM
I think a major factor in our sparse crowds is how dull the place is. Yeah, our offense isn't so exciting, but it was in the Hollis Price years, and we didn't really turn out for those either. I think it needs to be brighter, first off, because the lighting in there is like a sleeping pill. Also, I think we can do better on our starting lineups video. That "CLAP CLAP CLAP" thing doesn't seem to get the crowd too fired up. Another thing is the wall in front of the upper level, it's carpeted, and carpet dulls noise.

Discuss.

GDC
1/11/2006, 08:16 PM
The cheese for the nachos could be better.

Soonerus
1/11/2006, 09:11 PM
take some lessons from the Hornets...

GottaHavePride
1/11/2006, 09:58 PM
You think the lighting is bad? You should have seen it 5 years ago before they added the gigantic rows of lights down both sides of the court, back when ceiling tiles falling on you during the game was a known risk.

John Kochtoston
1/11/2006, 10:13 PM
1. Eliminate most of the crimson paint from the floor. Use white (OK, cream) paint, or different stains, instead. Might help reflect the light better.
2. Install some bench seating. Maybe not all over, but in the student section for sure. Might make it easier for people to get off their duffs.
3. Eliminate The J. Geils Band and Bryan Adams from the arena playlist. Throw in some Anthrax, Pantera...anything but soft rock and Top 40. In fact, just let the Showmen do their thing.
4. Take some tips from the WWE. Regardless of whether or not anyone likes it, they do know how to put on a show.
5. Make all seats best seats after halftime. Allow people to move down to unoccupied seats for the second half.

CtheB
1/11/2006, 10:18 PM
I think a major factor in our sparse crowds is how dull the place is. Yeah, our offense isn't so exciting, but it was in the Hollis Price years, and we didn't really turn out for those either. I think it needs to be brighter, first off, because the lighting in there is like a sleeping pill. Also, I think we can do better on our starting lineups video. That "CLAP CLAP CLAP" thing doesn't seem to get the crowd too fired up. Another thing is the wall in front of the upper level, it's carpeted, and carpet dulls noise.

Discuss.

I find it funny that we are so afraid to be critical of the sacred cow that is Kelvin Sampson, that it is now the crowd's fault that we lost. So, what was our excuse at Nebraska? Did we not yell at the television loud enough?

King Crimson
1/11/2006, 10:22 PM
lose the faded Carl's JR tarp over the tunnel.

to gdc's point, i get tired of saying...."i'd like more jalapenos than that".

OUstud
1/11/2006, 11:03 PM
I find it funny that we are so afraid to be critical of the sacred cow that is Kelvin Sampson, that it is now the crowd's fault that we lost. So, what was our excuse at Nebraska? Did we not yell at the television loud enough?

I've been critical of Sampson. Look at my recent post history.

You think the lighting is bad? You should have seen it 5 years ago before they added the gigantic rows of lights down both sides of the court, back when ceiling tiles falling on you during the game was a known risk.

True, but isn't it still pretty dim in there? And don't they still have those tiles in the upper reaches?

1. Eliminate most of the crimson paint from the floor. Use white (OK, cream) paint, or different stains, instead. Might help reflect the light better.
2. Install some bench seating. Maybe not all over, but in the student section for sure. Might make it easier for people to get off their duffs.
3. Eliminate The J. Geils Band and Bryan Adams from the arena playlist. Throw in some Anthrax, Pantera...anything but soft rock and Top 40. In fact, just let the Showmen do their thing.
4. Take some tips from the WWE. Regardless of whether or not anyone likes it, they do know how to put on a show.
5. Make all seats best seats after halftime. Allow people to move down to unoccupied seats for the second half.

1. Good call. Don't do what Pickens State did with their paint though.
2. Where to put it? I guess you could knock out some of the lower levels on the non-tunnel end.
3. YES! Hearing our lame songs is bad at the games AND on TV...imagine what the rest of the Big XII, who seem to have better music, think.
4. Don't know about the WWE.
5. Been saying it for awhile, and while we're at it, the upper level student seating (whatever) is almost always empty above the basket, even for big games, and yet they don't let SRO people sit there...been there and dealt with that, it sucked. Looks bad on TV too I'm sure.

IronSooner
1/11/2006, 11:04 PM
Give crack to everybody who stays for the second half. Maybe a little just after halftime with the promise of more in the last minute of play.

GottaHavePride
1/11/2006, 11:12 PM

Right now the Showmen's thing IS the J. Geils band and Bryan Adams. ;)

RacerX
1/12/2006, 12:20 AM

You're close, our TVs aren't big enough for Kelvin to win...or something like that.

TopDawg
1/12/2006, 10:40 AM

I didn't see anything in the post you quoted that referred to the crowd's effect on a game.

TopDawg
1/12/2006, 10:51 AM
You think the arena is dark to you? Try watching the game through flyswatters painted to look like eyes.

Twice during my tenure the head came off. Both times I was amazed at how much brighter (and louder) it was.

RacerX
1/12/2006, 01:52 PM
Geez TD, don't you need to go knock over somebody's nachos?

ouradu
1/12/2006, 01:52 PM
bring back Top Dawg. Won't help the team, but he's 100x better than the steroid ponies.

RacerX
1/12/2006, 01:53 PM
Spruce up the LNC with a team that can consistently score 75 points (that's not the opponent). I bet that would help.

CtheB
1/12/2006, 02:08 PM
I didn't see anything in the post you quoted that referred to the crowd's effect on a game.

Not directly. But, since Tuesday, when the first complaints regarding the crowd were tossed out there for public consumption, we have had numerous posts regarding home court advantage, pathetic crowds, etc. placing blame everywhere except where it should be. I just assume that "Sprucing Up the LNC" is what is needed to get the crowd going, so they can cheer louder, have more fun, enjoy better nachos :) , listen to more contemporary music, inb much brighter light and then MAYBE our basketball team will play to the potential that we believed they once had.

TopDawg
1/12/2006, 02:23 PM
Gotcha.

I think the blame should be placed on Michael Neal. He could've won both of those games for us if he'd've just played long enough to hit one three pointer. C'mon, Mike...play through the pain! ;)

OUGreg723
1/12/2006, 02:42 PM
The ceiling tiles need to go. They are extremely ugly.

To solve the problem, the LNC should be demolished (The old arena part) and a new facility built in it's place. Maybe similar to the style of Kansas or Maryland's great facilities. It was a poor design to begin with.

GottaHavePride
1/12/2006, 03:02 PM
The ceiling tiles need to go. They are extremely ugly.

Agian, compared to what was there before the renovation, those are high-end. ;)