PDA

View Full Version : A Kelvin fan starting to say "enough"

SoonerGOP
1/11/2006, 06:04 PM
First off, I've supported Kelvin since day one.

I miss Billy Ball and beating whoever 120-80 something, but also love the defensive game and have really enjoyed OU Basketball the past 12 years.

That being said, as a loyal supporter of OU in all sports, I am about ready to establish the following baselines for my continued support of Kelvin remaining basketball coach:

We finish 3rd in conference and the sanctions are mild? I say he stays.

We finish less than 3rd in conference and the sanctions are mild? I say he gets a warning from Joe that he's gotta improve or he's gone...

The sanctions are not mild and we finish 3rd in conference? I'm leaning towards bye.

The sanctions are not mild and we finish less than fourth? Bye.

Here is my reasoning:

I think Kelvin is a great (not good) but a great coach who knows the game well and can flat out coach.

I don't think Kelvin does a good job in recruiting/keeping players. Sorry, but we've lost more talent at OU than we've brought in, despite the new facilities.

I simply don't think making the postseason is enough for OU. I think we have to shoot for going deep into postseason.

My expectations may be too high, but just going to one final four and losing the majority in the first round just doesn't cut it.

And please save the "oh, you just hate Kelvin" crap for another poster.

frou
1/11/2006, 06:15 PM
I think Kelvin is distracted. Couple that with the guards not being 1/2 of what we were lead to believe, and there you have it.

Distracted by what? I dunno.

Maybe phone gate, maybe the penalties are more harsh than he thought, I dunno. But something is eating at him and he doesn't seem like his normal self.

Have you ever seen a KS team lose games at the very end like the last TWO?

Me either.

Sumpin is up with KS. JMHO

Remembering Tom Stidham
1/11/2006, 06:21 PM
I, also, have supported Kelvin thru everything. This season I just don't understand. We were picked high by knowledgeable people. I never agreed, but felt it would be a very good season. We have lost to two mediocre conference teams. The tougher ones lie ahead. It's possible the NCAA investigation is affecting Kelvin's teaching. What our staff allegedly did was stupid, and Kelvin is not stupid. Yet the only aspect of basketball where we are doing well is rebounding. We could still recover but I feel the damage has been done.

royalfan5
1/11/2006, 06:24 PM
You guys should hire Barry Collier away from Nebraska.;) I promise it will fullfill your wildest expectations.

Jimminy Crimson
1/11/2006, 06:25 PM
Sumpin is up with KS.

Karen took him to see a 'western' movie.

Turns out it was Brokeback.

Never been the same, since. ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/11/2006, 07:02 PM
i watched the first couple of exhibition games and this team has regressed since then. kurt smith was comparing it to the 92 tubbs team. saddenly, its a fitting analogy.

MojoRisen
1/11/2006, 07:08 PM
WHo is the most apealing name/names to consider for kelvins replacement if he has to step down for what ever reason's.

Gonzaga, valpo, Northern Iowa, Huggins(I know you guys hate him) what other coaches are out there that are either available or recruitable to a major University like OU. MONEY TALKS

Your thoughts.

royalfan5
1/11/2006, 07:47 PM
WHo is the most apealing name/names to consider for kelvins replacement if he has to step down for what ever reason's.

Gonzaga, valpo, Northern Iowa, Huggins(I know you guys hate him) what other coaches are out there that are either available or recruitable to a major University like OU. MONEY TALKS

Your thoughts.
Drew at Valpo has already retired once. He came back when his son went to Baylor. I doubt he is looking to move up. McDermott at UNI is a Panther alum, and is getting a brand new arena next year. He would be a difficult sell. Gonzaga is probably as good as job as OU right now with their new arena and name recognition, he would be a very difficult sell, and I think he only leaves Gonzaga for a school where hoops are king. That doesn't seem to be the case at OU. Why not take a run at Karl Hobbs from George Washington, even though he is probably biding his time until he can take over at UCONN. Kevin Stallings at Vandy might be a very good fit at OU.

CtheB
1/12/2006, 06:34 PM

Your thoughts.

If forced to make a change, and to appease the fans that support Kelvin and his style of ball, we should look no further than Charlie Spoonhour.

OUGreg723
1/12/2006, 07:35 PM
Guys, things seem bad now, but let's be patient with this team. We have an outstanding inside game, and a good defensive team. It is obvious that our gaurd play is holding us back. Everette is the only proven player at gaurd, and he has not been playing very well the last 5 games or so. Let's be patient. this season is nowhere near over.

Hey and next year its gonna be SILLY. Just look at the recruits coming in. I say Damion James and Scottie Reynolds will start immediatley.

You guys will be loving Kelvin when Scottie is wetin' threes all day long, and throwin' up ally-oops to Damion!

Starting line up next year:

G- Scottie Reynolds
G- Mike Neal
F- Damion James
F- Neal Carter
F- Longar Longar

I think this year's squad will end up being successful, but next year is going to be just as good or better. We have some really good years ahead of us!!
BOOMER SOONER!

CtheB
1/12/2006, 07:39 PM
Greg, didn't we hear this last year about this year's team?

PrideTrombone
1/12/2006, 08:09 PM
Guys, things seem bad now, but let's be patient with this team. We have an outstanding inside game, and a good defensive team. It is obvious that our gaurd play is holding us back. Everette is the only proven player at gaurd, and he has not been playing very well the last 5 games or so. Let's be patient. this season is nowhere near over.

Hey and next year its gonna be SILLY. Just look at the recruits coming in. I say Damion James and Scottie Reynolds will start immediatley.

You guys will be loving Kelvin when Scottie is wetin' threes all day long, and throwin' up ally-oops to Damion!

Starting line up next year:

G- Scottie Reynolds
G- Mike Neal
F- Damion James
F- Neal Carter
F- Longar Longar

I think this year's squad will end up being successful, but next year is going to be just as good or better. We have some really good years ahead of us!!
BOOMER SOONER!

If Longar Longar is starting for us next year, it ain't gonna be pretty.

OUGreg723
1/12/2006, 08:55 PM
Greg, didn't we hear this last year about this year's team?

Yeah, except this year isnt over, and next year we have more talent coming to Norman than ever in the history of Oklahoma Basketball. I don't think many people realize how good Scottie Reynolds is. Just wait, you guys will see.:)

OUGreg723
1/12/2006, 08:56 PM
If Longar Longar is starting for us next year, it ain't gonna be pretty.

Longar Longar is going to be a good player. He has an enormous amount of ability and potential to be great.

GDC
1/12/2006, 09:17 PM
Longar Longar is going to be a good player. He has an enormous amount of ability and potential to be great.

I'll spek PrideTrombone the next time he posts something positive about anything, because it'll be the first time.

PrideTrombone
1/12/2006, 09:58 PM
I'll spek PrideTrombone the next time he posts something positive about anything, because it'll be the first time.

I'm eating Pei Wei. It's damn good.

SoonerGOP
1/12/2006, 10:00 PM
Guys, things seem bad now, but let's be patient with this team.

That's why I'm saying end of the year expectations/disappointments. I'm very disappointed now, but know that things can turn around in a season (see OU Football 2005).

We have an outstanding inside game, and a good defensive team. It is obvious that our gaurd play is holding us back.

I gotta disagree there on one point -- we can't get the ball to our inside guys near enough and it is because our guards keep shooting three attempts and are incapable of getting the ball inside the perimeter to the guys in the paint.

But I completely agree that it is guard play holding us back.

CtheB
1/12/2006, 10:14 PM
Yeah, except this year isnt over, and next year we have more talent coming to Norman than ever in the history of Oklahoma Basketball. I don't think many people realize how good Scottie Reynolds is. Just wait, you guys will see.:)

Unfortunately, I think we need to wait on Scottie and Damion until the NCAA gets through with us in April. If we get nailed for a loss of postseason, it's going to be tough to keep these guys interested.

Also, do I think Kelvin will turn this team around? History says he will. Will they finish the regular season strong? Probably. Make the NCAA tournament? Also, probably.

But this was the team that had a chance to do it all. Maybe I believed the hype--in fact, I know I did. BUt this team had everything to go deep nationally. Thus far, they have been a big lemon.

Kelvin will probably turn it around. People will get interested again. The negatives will go away from most on this board...but probably not from me. My first post on the subject before NU game was "I do not prefer this style of basketball"....and I still won't regardless of the outcome of this season. My fear is that a rally from this team saves Kelvin's job again, and then we will repeat the process next year.

Kelvin's going to win games...no question. But our February rally to a March disaster is getting very very old.

Newbomb Turk
1/12/2006, 10:24 PM
Unfortunately, I think we need to wait on Scottie and Damion until the NCAA gets through with us in April. If we get nailed for a loss of postseason, it's going to be tough to keep these guys interested.

Do you think they are going to be released from the LOI's they signed?

CtheB
1/12/2006, 10:35 PM
Do you think they are going to be released from the LOI's they signed?

If we go on probation of any kind, they can request it from the NCAA and lose no eligibility.

OUGreg723
1/12/2006, 10:42 PM

Also, do I think Kelvin will turn this team around? History says he will. Will they finish the regular season strong? Probably. Make the NCAA tournament? Also, probably.

But this was the team that had a chance to do it all. Maybe I believed the hype--in fact, I know I did. BUt this team had everything to go deep nationally. Thus far, they have been a big lemon.

Kelvin will probably turn it around. People will get interested again. The negatives will go away from most on this board...but probably not from me. My first post on the subject before NU game was "I do not prefer this style of basketball"....and I still won't regardless of the outcome of this season. My fear is that a rally from this team saves Kelvin's job again, and then we will repeat the process next year.

Kelvin's going to win games...no question. But our February rally to a March disaster is getting very very old.

I understand what you are saying completely. I don't think we are gonna lose post season privledges though. Scottie, Damion and all the other recruits have known about these violations since April. They are all signed and headed for Norman next year, so we dont need to worry about that. This class is one of the reason's OU is in trouble too. Scottie taught Coach Sampson how to text message. Seriously. Don't worry about these guys not wanting to be here though. They are a very determined group and they all believe in Coach Sampson and the staff. Kelvin really is bringing great things to the table in the future for us. I think we as fans need to get behind him and the team. It can't do any harm.

But I completely understand your frustration. We are all dissapointed so far this year.:(

OUGreg723
1/12/2006, 10:45 PM
If we go on probation of any kind, they can request it from the NCAA and lose no eligibility.

It will be ok. I really don't think we are going to get slammed that with that harsh of penalties. Unless you have heard something I hav'nt?

oumartin
1/12/2006, 10:58 PM
um, from what I gather the NCAA aint too happy cuz its rumored Kelvin made alot of those calls himself. Lack of Control and when the head honcho is behind some of it thats not good.

I bet they lose schollys and post season for a couple years.

OUGreg723
1/12/2006, 11:05 PM
um, from what I gather the NCAA aint too happy cuz its rumored Kelvin made alot of those calls himself. Lack of Control and when the head honcho is behind some of it thats not good.

I bet they lose schollys and post season for a couple years.

That would be a tragedy. Let's hope the penalties are not that serious. We have already hurt ourselves in recruiting with self imposed sanctions. Is this really grounds for post season suspension though? From what I've read, and heard from inside sources,they have never once mentioned post season suspension. I hope they are right.

oumartin
1/12/2006, 11:07 PM
yeah, well they haven't met with the NCAA yet have they? I've heard the self imposed sanctions aren't gonna cut it.

OUGreg723
1/12/2006, 11:12 PM
No, they havnt met yet. And the self imposed sanctions probably wont cut it, so we hurt ourselves for nothing. But I just can't believe that these small violations, that we discovered and punished ourselves for, could result in a loss of NCAA tournament play.

oumartin
1/12/2006, 11:15 PM
yeah, but the problem is within those little violations. I bet they sight lack of institutional control cuz Kelvin knew and was involved and whack em hard.

I hope not too but I'll not be optimistic till its done.

Jay C. Upchurch
1/12/2006, 11:23 PM
CtheB,

Life must be a real downer for you. Seems you spew nothing but negativity on this board about OU hoops. Why bother watching? You obviously are not a Sooner basketball fan... or is that your M.O.? You simply live to talk trash on "your" team, no matter the situation.

You wrote...
"My fear is that a rally from this team saves Kelvin's job again..."

Guess I forgot about the time or times Kelvin's job has ever been in jeopardy. When exactly was that?

The winningest coach in Big 12 history and fools like you who haven't a clue cut him no slack.

Amazing.

Soonerus
1/12/2006, 11:46 PM
We are lucky to have and retain Kelvin....

CtheB
1/13/2006, 07:02 AM
CtheB,

Life must be a real downer for you. Seems you spew nothing but negativity on this board about OU hoops. Why bother watching? You obviously are not a Sooner basketball fan... or is that your M.O.? You simply live to talk trash on "your" team, no matter the situation.

You wrote...
"My fear is that a rally from this team saves Kelvin's job again..."

Guess I forgot about the time or times Kelvin's job has ever been in jeopardy. When exactly was that?

The winningest coach in Big 12 history and fools like you who haven't a clue cut him no slack.

Amazing.

Actually, Editor, no, life is not a downer for me. In fact, life is wonderful. However, I am not happy with what is going on with the play of Oklahoma basketball. Am I entitled to feel this way? Sure. Does it bother you if I don't bleed crimson to the point that I lose my objectivity? Probably. I apologize if I do not come onto what is obviously YOUR board and pump sunshine if I don't see that it is due.

Has Kelvin's job been in jeopardy? Not seriously. But he better survive April with the NCAA. There's a lot of things that Kelvin has done well with the basketball program, I'm not denying it. But the first sign a coach is in trouble is falling attendance. Do you deny that attendance is falling?

Also, remember, that its boosters that head to the NCAA tourney every year with the team and leave the Subregionals in embarrassment with the team. And I know for fact that it doesn't make them happy.

He's the winningest coach in Big 12 history because he has the longest tenure in Big 12 history.

Funny, but I'll continue to watch the games, even though you wonder why. I guess you decided to take the Blake years off. Seems like you're encouraging me to be a fair-weather fan. Thanks, but..I'll watch what I want.

I also understand your position as Sooner Spectator Editor, and your need to continue to see the positives in everything OU. No different than Sports Radio, but you've lost your objectivity to observe a situation. I'm sure the Sooner SS will now ban me from the board.

Repeat, I do not favor Kelvin's style of basketball. Forgive me for that. It's boring. It's also a buildup to a disappointment annually.

And if I only talk trash on my team, then why did I reply so favorably to the announcement that the bball team did so well with grades? It truly makes me proud to know the kids are doing well in the classroom, if they aren't having great success on the court.

So, thank you for the personal attack, Jay. Good journalism on your part.

GDC
1/13/2006, 08:43 AM
Dear god, please make it stop. We go through this every year.

CtheB
1/13/2006, 09:27 AM
Yes we do. November to January swoon followed by a February rally to a March disaster. It is every year isn't it?

Jay C. Upchurch
1/13/2006, 10:49 AM
Now you're a victim?

I'm sorry if that brutal "attack" I laid on you was too much to take. I didn't realize your feelings were so sensitive.

But I think most OU fans would agree it's embarrassing to see some so-called fan bitch and moan about a basketball coach, who over the last five years has led his program to three Big 12 Tournament titles, a Final Four, an Elite Eight and a regular season conference title.

That would be defined in anybody's book (except maybe Duke's) as one heckuva run. And believe it or not, it was due to some excellent coaching.

Has OU come up short at times? No doubt. Kelvin will be the first to admit that.

But since 1999-2000, the Sooners have been one of the best basketball programs in the country. And with a national top-5 recruiting class coming in, that trend is going to continue.

As for my objectivity? Well, I guess if my stating facts about the good job Kelvin has done makes me seem less objective — I guess I'll have to live with that.

I do know this, players, teams and programs feed off of positive vibes from fans. And the best fans are the ones who stand behind their teams through thick and thin. Kelvin's program has delivered very few thin moments and plenty of great ones. The fact you are blind to that tells me you are either not an OU fan or just someone whose life is better when you are griping.

CtheB
1/13/2006, 11:23 AM
Now you're a victim?

I'm sorry if that brutal "attack" I laid on you was too much to take. I didn't realize your feelings were so sensitive.

But I think most OU fans would agree it's embarrassing to see some so-called fan bitch and moan about a basketball coach, who over the last five years has led his program to three Big 12 Tournament titles, a Final Four, an Elite Eight and a regular season conference title.

That would be defined in anybody's book (except maybe Duke's) as one heckuva run. And believe it or not, it was due to some excellent coaching.

Has OU come up short at times? No doubt. Kelvin will be the first to admit that.

But since 1999-2000, the Sooners have been one of the best basketball programs in the country. And with a national top-5 recruiting class coming in, that trend is going to continue.

As for my objectivity? Well, I guess if my stating facts about the good job Kelvin has done makes me seem less objective — I guess I'll have to live with that.

I do know this, players, teams and programs feed off of positive vibes from fans. And the best fans are the ones who stand behind their teams through thick and thin. Kelvin's program has delivered very few thin moments and plenty of great ones. The fact you are blind to that tells me you are either not an OU fan or just someone whose life is better when you are griping.

Then I think it's very telling that one of the "best basketball programs in the country" that gets a "top 5 recruiting class" can only fill half its seats on any given night.

No, not a victim, Jay. Not sensitive either. I respect those who argue the merits of the program, while I try to counter them. It's called banter and, believe it or not, it's one of the purposes of an internet message board. But until now, I have only argued merits, and its never become personal. I haven't called anyone an "idiot", "blind" or "clueless". Check my posts. You, my opposition, have.

But what you are telling me is that banter is not good. The program needs "positive vibes" to be successful. You also state that I am not supporting the program if I make statements that you don't agree with. You ask me to not watch the games? Since when does an opposing view constitute a "straying" from the program? I'd love to see the horror in your eyes if you had a magazine that featured what happens on Capitol Hill. I would bet that any Congressman that offers a view opposite of yours has committed treason upon this country.

You can question my fanaticism all you want. That's fine. I know that I am a fan, but I'm not deluded by the fact that it wears crimson and cream and has an interlocking O and U on it.

Also, I apologize if my expectations of our program are obviously different than yours. But they are my expectations, and I have a right to it.

Now, what will you say about all of the other blind clueless idiots on the board that disagree with you?

That being said, I will now refrain from any more comments about OU basketball "for the positive vibe of the program". This board isn't about me, or you (I think), so I will let the discussion center on the subject. Fair?

I do hope that we beat A&M tomorrow, and I would love to see us win out. If credit is due, I will gladly give it.

Jay C. Upchurch
1/13/2006, 12:32 PM
That's just it.... CREDIT IS DUE... And I certainly don't see you giving it.

I listed what Sampson's program has done the last five years — won three Big 12 Tournament titles, gone to a Final Four, an Elite Eight and won a regular season conference title...

And yet you dog the guy and say the team goes into a tailspin every season.

Just about every other D-I program in the country would love to have that kind of "disaster every year," as you put it.

So don't say you are going to give the team credit if it wins out, especially since you are not giving Sampson credit for leading this program to some great success the last few seasons.

I'm not saying everyone has to love Kelvin Sampson or his style of basketball. I realize it's not the run-and-gun some fans love. But like him or not, he has done a great job of making OU one of the top basketball programs in the country. If you or anyone else does not recognize that, then yes, you are blind to the facts.

Ask all of the D-I hoops coaches in the country if they would trade their program's success for what Kelvin has done at OU...
the answer would be "yes" from about 95 percent of them.

CtheB
1/13/2006, 12:50 PM
Once again, please explain to me how one of the "best basketball programs in the country" only fills half of its seats. Please answer this for me. Obviously, there are others as disenchanted as I am.

I have given credit in the past, but where most programs build on a Final Four, we followed ours up with a Great Eight, an NIT appearance, and a second round exit.

As promised, I will refrain from any more negative comments to contribute to the positive vibe the program needs from each and every fan to be successful. With all due respect, if I leave the Boomer Sooner car horns, keychains and ringtones to the rest of your flock, am I still not a fan?

Jay C. Upchurch
1/13/2006, 03:13 PM
If you have been keeping up with OU men's basketball then you know the attendance issue is not a reflection of how well the program has done or is doing. Even during the 2002 Final Four season, fans didn't fill up the LNC with much regularity (except for games like Kansas, Texas and OSU).

The biggest problem with attendance has to do with the fact too many of the home games are shown on local TV, which makes it too easy for fans to stay home and watch instead of battle traffic and late-hours on a school night with their kids. Also, OU's season ticket policy forces football fans to buy basketball tickets and not enough of those people are showing up on a regular basis.

OU needs to do a better job of making the games fan friendly, especially where the student body is concerned. Get the fans more involved during the game. But at the same time, the fans have to take some of the responsibility, too. There are about 6,000 loyal OU basketball fans and they are hardcore when it comes to the Sooners. Unfortunately, that's a sad number when one looks at the success this program has experienced over the last few years.

You can gripe or complain or cry or scream about how "disenchanted" you are by all of the so-called lack of success OU has produce during Kelvin's tenure — but then look at Kansas' program and how it compares to OU over the last six seasons. KU is by all accounts a nationally-recognized basketball powerhouse, yet since the 1999-2000 season;

The Sooners are 4-4 straight up vs. the Jayhawks

OU has won more Big 12 Tournament titles, 3 to zero

OU's record is 156-45
KU is 160-45

OU is 9-5 in the NCAA Tourney with one Final Four and one Elite Eight
KU is 15-6 in the Big Dance with two Final Fours and one Elite Eight

Neither has won a national title.

KU has a slight edge, maybe because KU signs three prep All-Americans every year. That would indicate the job Kelvin has done with lesser talent (to play Kansas almost on even terms) is even that much more impressive.

LLoyd Dobler
1/13/2006, 03:25 PM
OK enough, you two need to kiss and make up. I can see both sides of the arguement, and I choose to............cheer for Oklahoma, hope the sanctions are not too bad, and hope Kelvin sticks around.

For the love of it, stop it!

CtheB
1/13/2006, 03:39 PM
Good stats, Jay. We just agree to disagree.

Lloyd....it's over. But I refuse to kiss Jay. :)

Jay C. Upchurch
1/13/2006, 03:47 PM
Agreed.

LLoyd Dobler
1/13/2006, 03:49 PM
CtheB and Jay:

From an interested third party - neutral observer - I agree with you both on many points. You both bring out valid points and there is truth on both sides. I have used factoids from both sides of the arguments, depending on if OU just lost to Missouri at home, or just beat Texas in Austin.

I am not a fair weather fan by any means, I think it is just a range of being ****ed off one moment, to being stunned the next - like being 6-4 and winning the B12 conference.

I hope we get it together, because this year is killing me and my sons when we watch the games.

Here's to hoping Ou beats a decent A&M team tomorrow.

CtheB
1/13/2006, 03:55 PM
CtheB and Jay:

From an interested third party - neutral observer - I agree with you both on many points. You both bring out valid points and there is truth on both sides. I have used factoids from both sides of the arguments, depending on if OU just lost to Missouri at home, or just beat Texas in Austin.

I am not a fair weather fan by any means, I think it is just a range of being ****ed off one moment, to being stunned the next - like being 6-4 and winning the B12 conference.

I hope we get it together, because this year is killing me and my sons when we watch the games.

Here's to hoping Ou beats a decent A&M team tomorrow.

Lloyd, I think herein lies the lesson. Jay and I do not agree because our level of expectation is different. When expectations exceed reality, therein lies frustration. Maybe this is the way I vent. And maybe it's the way Jay vents. Regardless, Jay has every right to his opinion just as I do, and if I ever see him on the street, I'd shake his hand and have a beer with him. That's what separates this country from the rest--free sharing of ideas and opinions. (American anthem playing in the background)

Jay C. Upchurch
1/13/2006, 05:21 PM
OU is not playing very well right now. On that, evereyone can agree. That said and even without the services of Michael Neal, Kelvin and the Sooners will find a way to beat Texas A&M tomorrow.

LLoyd Dobler
1/13/2006, 05:26 PM
Agreed - on props to both of you. Now we HAVE to beat A&M tomorrow because the agroids I work with are getting me a little bit short tempered.

Have a good one you guys.....

Jay C. Upchurch
1/13/2006, 06:18 PM
By the way, Lloyd... love your character in "Say Anything"

Newbomb Turk
1/13/2006, 08:41 PM
That said and even without the services of Michael Neal, Kelvin and the Sooners will find a way to beat Texas A&M tomorrow.

I'd be shocked. But I didn't think there was any way we could have won the Big 12 last year either.

SoonerGOP
1/14/2006, 10:46 AM
The biggest problem with attendance has to do with the fact too many of the home games are shown on local TV, which makes it too easy for fans to stay home and watch instead of battle traffic and late-hours on a school night with their kids. Also, OU's season ticket policy forces football fans to buy basketball tickets and not enough of those people are showing up on a regular basis.

OK. I completely agree with you about the home games on TV, but I'm one of those who can't make the games because of the kids, school nights, the long drive to Norman, add factors here...

But I'm a season ticket holder for football only and have never been forced to buy basketball tickets. What are talking about?

It's OsU who forces you to buy football tickets in order to get basketball tickets, not the other way around. Or am I unaware of something?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/14/2006, 11:16 AM

Longar Longar is just a long legged and long arm brick waiting to happen. He will never make it and is a waste of a scholly! IMO.

So what's the word on phone gate, are we looking at a reprimand or are we looking at a serious violation? If so, then Calvin should be shown the door. IMO. Given what he has gotten, this is unexcusable and should have serious consequences if OU is put on probation.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/14/2006, 11:23 AM
Dear god, please make it stop. We go through this every year.

"We go through this every year" becuase things are not getting done. We rarely seem to power into the NCAAs, more like wimper. Every year there seems to be something just not right and every one saying wait 'till next year, we'll be clicking. Only except we aren't clicking. This year, we should be plowing through people like Nebbish and Mizzou, not losing to them at the last second! My god we have two hosses at forward and we can't seem to score, what's wrong with this picture. Then we don't have ANY GUARDs - W T F??? Here's a coaching tip, if you can't hit treys, DON'T SHOOT THEM!

Big Red Ron
1/14/2006, 11:50 AM
I have also been a Kelvin fan. Always arguing his success vs. his boring style. However, the numbers don't lie. I was a huge billy ball fan and the LNC was FULL on a regular basis back then. It was due mostly for his exciting brand of ball combined with success that Kelvin could only dream of.

I have defended Kelvin for the last time. He made somthing like three hundred illegal contact to get these "top five classes" and has run off the most talented players here for far too long.

CtheB
1/14/2006, 10:04 PM
Jay:

Please note that my contribution to the positive vibe of the program is to say that was a big win against a great A&M team in a very tough venue. :)

CtheB

Jay C. Upchurch
1/15/2006, 12:30 AM
Contribution noted.

okienole3
1/15/2006, 12:37 AM
Jay:

Please note that my contribution to the positive vibe of the program is to say that was a big win against a great A&M team in a very tough venue. :)

CtheB

tough venue? is that dripping with sarcasm i hope.

Jay C. Upchurch
1/15/2006, 03:29 AM
I suppose if you didn't watch the game you wouldn't know how tough a place that is to play.

It was packed Saturday with a very loud crowd, and A&M was 11-0 at home this season and 28-3 the last two seasons. The Aggies' only losses during that time came to OU (70-54), OSU (74-68) and St. Joe's (57-51) in last year's NIT quarterfinals.

Texas is 0-1, Texas Tech is 0-2 and every other Big 12 team that has played there is 0-fer.

I'd say it's a tough place to play.

PrideTrombone
1/15/2006, 04:27 PM
I suppose if you didn't watch the game you wouldn't know how tough a place that is to play.

It was packed Saturday with a very loud crowd, and A&M was 11-0 at home this season and 28-3 the last two seasons. The Aggies' only losses during that time came to OU (70-54), OSU (74-68) and St. Joe's (57-51) in last year's NIT quarterfinals.

Texas is 0-1, Texas Tech is 0-2 and every other Big 12 team that has played there is 0-fer.

I'd say it's a tough place to play.

Yeah, ever since Gillespie got there, their fan support has really improved.

Sooner04
1/16/2006, 01:53 PM
i watched the first couple of exhibition games and this team has regressed since then. kurt smith was comparing it to the 92 tubbs team. saddenly, its a fitting analogy.
Kelvin would give his left nut to have Brent Price and Bryatt Vann right now.

He'd give both his wobblers for Terry Evans.

Oh, and Damon Patterson was a hell of a player.

Our fustercluck of an offense could use scoring machines like those four right now.