PDA

View Full Version : Bandwagon Texas fans...

CatfishSooner
1/11/2006, 02:31 PM
I was at a mall yesterday in Scottsdale Arizona and Lids(hat store) had about 20 UT hats displayed in the very front of the store...I told the guy working he needed to get rid of all those stupid hats and he replied by telling me they were selling like hot cakes.....:eek: :mack: :eek: :mack: :eek:

Obviously I had to turn a few of them upside down on the sly...

RooseveltRoughRider
1/11/2006, 02:37 PM
There is always bandwagon fans. Whenever FSU was winning people were always sporting that crap. A school with 50,000 students is bound to have tons of alums though. But I noticed here in Houston, which is very much Aggieland, that all kinds of people have crawled out the woodworks wearing UT stuff. I expect that in Austin or SA. But not Houston. 50% of all fans and bandwagon fans that are only around when their team is winning. Or only HAVE a team that happens to be winning.

CatfishSooner
1/11/2006, 02:38 PM
When OU won the NC did you notice much bandwagoning?

RooseveltRoughRider
1/11/2006, 02:44 PM

Not really. Well not in Houston. I think everyone was so happy they beat Florida State they did'nt care. I'd see an occasional truck with the OU flag on it but thats about it. Im sure Dallas was a different story though.

CatfishSooner
1/11/2006, 02:56 PM
Or they were crying b/c they couldn't wear their FSU stuff anymore and still be "cool"...

Soonerman08
1/11/2006, 03:06 PM
Stupid Whorns!

CatfishSooner
1/11/2006, 03:07 PM
Stupid Whorns!

Exactly...:) :mack: :)

BajaOklahoma
1/11/2006, 03:16 PM
Dallas - not too much bandwagon stuff in our area (NE suburb). You see the same people, with some additions along the way, consistently wearing the colors.
I did have several people offer to buy me a whorn T-shirt. I politely turned them down.

goodonya
1/11/2006, 03:46 PM
In Houston it seems like it is raining orange. I've been here since 1990 and I've never seen the likes of it. People in my sub division that I've lived around for 15-years have suddenly become proud UT fans.

BTW, one reason you don't see OU flags in Houston is that the UT fans take great sport in breaking them off and leaving them by the car. I fly mine time-to-time but you don't ever leave the car with them on.

shavedmarmoset
1/11/2006, 04:02 PM
There is always bandwagon fans. Whenever FSU was winning people were always sporting that crap. A school with 50,000 students is bound to have tons of alums though. But I noticed here in Houston, which is very much Aggieland, that all kinds of people have crawled out the woodworks wearing UT stuff. I expect that in Austin or SA. But not Houston. 50% of all fans and bandwagon fans that are only around when their team is winning. Or only HAVE a team that happens to be winning.

What part of houston are you in? I dont recall there being more aggies than whorns there. But I did notice many more people wearing texas garb after the game

Boomer_Sooner_sax
1/11/2006, 04:09 PM
I too live in Houston and have to totally agree with you guys. I have only lived here sixth months and as a proud OU alum, I have my car covered with the stuff. However, just in the last month, I have noticed a serious jump in Texas stuff. They included everything from the car medallions to stickers to ca flags. The radios won't quit talking about it (doesn't matter the format) and everyone on the local media is trying to convince the Texans to take VY with the first pick. Personally, I hate the Texans. How arrogant can one state be by naming a team after themselves?? The Denver Coloradians. Sounds stupid, huh??

CatfishSooner
1/11/2006, 04:10 PM
How arrogant can one state be by naming a team after themselves?? The Denver Coloradians. Sounds stupid, huh??

I think it has a nice ring to it...;)

yermom
1/11/2006, 04:18 PM
it's an epidemic:

http://content.collegehumor.com/items/2006/01/collegehumor.1649290.451xAUTO.jpg

RooseveltRoughRider
1/11/2006, 04:21 PM
What part of houston are you in? I dont recall there being more aggies than whorns there. But I did notice many more people wearing texas garb after the game

I live in Northwest Houston but I work in Sugar Land.
Throughout the 90's Aggies ruled Houston. They still do in the Corporate world. But Im telling you..I never seen so many closet Horn fans in my life.
Until THIS YEAR I never seen so many UT emblems etc. It's gross. No matter where you go. I remember Aggies were making a big fuss when the Texans were created because of the logo.

caphorns
1/11/2006, 04:28 PM
As a Houston native, I can't defend much here. There are tons of bandwaggoners. My wife and I were frankly embarassed by the slum f'n crowd they kept showing out at the Houston bars celebrating the win. I'm sure Paul Wall and his crew is now going to don the Burnt Orange (maybe some burnt orange grills). It doesn't totally suck though for recruiting to have our gear out there among so many future football and basketball stars.

All of this actually started back when UT recruited TJ Ford and Vince Young.

josh09
1/11/2006, 04:30 PM
ya, houston is very bad with the bandwagon stuff

TexasLidig8r
1/11/2006, 05:09 PM
it's an epidemic:

http://content.collegehumor.com/items/2006/01/collegehumor.1649290.451xAUTO.jpg Suweetttt... tall, blonde and dumb... The next, future Mrs. Lid is right there!

humblesooner
1/11/2006, 05:16 PM
I swear this is true. I have been in Houston since 1993 and agree that sips are very bandwagon.

My next door neighbor of 2 years told us that he had moved from Austin, but wasn't a UT fan or grad.

Never had any shirts, hats, flags, decals - nothing.

Since Jan 4, I don't think he has worn anything that wasn't orange.

We always talked about OU beating UT 5 in a row and he would make comments like "OU really has THEIR number!"

Bandwagoner deluxe.

Also our new neighborhood has always had OU, aTm, UH flags flown in it. But never any UT flags to be seen. Not any more.

CatfishSooner
1/11/2006, 05:24 PM
I guess we'll just have to wait 'till next October...

caphorns
1/11/2006, 05:37 PM
I swear this is true. I have been in Houston since 1993 and agree that sips are very bandwagon.

My next door neighbor of 2 years told us that he had moved from Austin, but wasn't a UT fan or grad.

Never had any shirts, hats, flags, decals - nothing.

Since Jan 4, I don't think he has worn anything that wasn't orange.

We always talked about OU beating UT 5 in a row and he would make comments like "OU really has THEIR number!"

Bandwagoner deluxe.

Also our new neighborhood has always had OU, aTm, UH flags flown in it. But never any UT flags to be seen. Not any more.

You guys act like you've just discovered something novel. All "sips" are not bandwaggon fans. We've been selling out Memorial Stadium for a good while and have travelled well for some time. But there are a ton of bandwaggoners that roll in when we win. Some of them are actual graduates that just don't get into football. We have a few of those. The majority though are just people who want to be part of a winner and have some pride in where they are from. I'm not crazy about it, but at least there's some relation to the region. As I said before, alot of the fervor for UT athletics in the Houston area crept in when UT recruited TJ and Vince - who are each local sports legends.

CatfishSooner
1/11/2006, 05:50 PM
'tis still disgusting...

XingTheRubicon
1/11/2006, 06:22 PM
I wonder what OU's merchandising number was in '97 compared to now?;)

mdklatt
1/11/2006, 06:24 PM

Yes.

Rocker
1/11/2006, 06:42 PM

Nope

OUstud
1/11/2006, 06:45 PM
I noticed a lot. Remember all the T-shirts with the schedules?

mdklatt
1/11/2006, 06:52 PM
I noticed a lot. Remember all the T-shirts with the schedules?

I noticed all the car flags.

GDC
1/11/2006, 08:22 PM
Yes, I noticed several students at my school have suddenly, mysteriously acquired a range of baby-**** orange garments.:mad:

Soonerus
1/11/2006, 09:26 PM
I noticed all of the "original" songs...

LifelongSooner
1/11/2006, 09:36 PM

Everybody loves a winner, and the 2000 Sooners were no exception. I saw brand new hats, brand new t-shirts, brand new bumper stickers. It didn't say National Champs, it was just OU. Like they'd had it all along! People with the faded bumper stickers and clothing were obviously there all along.

Even the pokies picked up some bandwagon fans during the time of les. Lots of new orange stuff around. Now it seems to kind of faded away. THANK GOODNESS.

OklahomaRed
1/11/2006, 10:04 PM
Amarillo is typical Tech country. I've never seen so much puke orange in my life. I thought about taking a picture of some of them and posting them here on SFC. Some of them are "real winners". Saw this one old lady wearing orange tennis shoes, and orange shirt, and some dirty orange skirt. She thought she was looking pretty hot. Gag. They are everywhere. I bet 90% of them couldn't even tell you who texass' head coach was.

Give me a break. I guess all that will go away when we beat them October 7th.

:mad: :D

goingoneight
1/11/2006, 10:35 PM
OU wins MNC title = some Bandwagon fans show up, though loyalty has always been somewhat obvious
Barry Sanders sets NCAA records for Heisman = OSU would have never been recognized, nor thought twice about without that
UT wins first MNC in 35 years = we should expect this...

I'm just glad that the "National Champion" is someone we play year in and year out, and thus far have them 5-2 in Bob vs Mack. I would have been sickened even moreso if USC won and got off with that "three-pete" nonsense. Did you guys see all the celebrities ready to forever worship Pete Carroll until that last VY drive??? Perhaps you saw the little USC commercial that said they have 9 or 10 National Championships... Or did you see the cheerleaders with the numbers 2003, 2004, and 2005 stamped on their outfits? They might as well have written USC on the crystal ball and bowed down to worship their saviors before the game even started..

OUthunder
1/11/2006, 10:39 PM
Suweetttt... tall, blonde, transexual, and dumb... The next, future Mrs. Lid is right there!

Really?:eek:

AllAboutThe'O'
1/11/2006, 10:58 PM
I lived in East Texas for a few years, including 1996, when the John Mackovic-led Longhorns shocked Nebraska for the Big XII championship.
Even then, I didn't see as much Longhorn stuff as I do now, and I live on the Oklahoma-Arkansas border.