PDA

View Full Version : So, when one is sick...

Howzit
1/11/2006, 02:02 PM
..and mucus is flowing freely from the nasal passage, and phlegm is being hacked up in globules and splattering one's desk and laptop and papers, is it better for one to take decongestants and antihistimines to dry it up, or let it flow to get rid of the infection?

Hypothetically speaking.

critical_phil
1/11/2006, 02:09 PM
have nobby knees rub it real hard.........

Mjcpr
1/11/2006, 02:11 PM
have nobby knees rub it real hard.........

THAT'S NOT MUCUS!!

crawfish
1/11/2006, 02:31 PM
I feel sorry for nobby knees. :(

TUSooner
1/11/2006, 02:34 PM
If you treat you symptoms thoroughly, they will go away in about a week. If you do nothing, it will take about 7 days.

Do what makes you comfortable, but keep up the fluid intake whether or not you do meds.

Oldnslo
My doc says to let it flow. I say he's a bastard.

Widescreen
I feel sorry for nobby knees. :(
I feel sorry for the desk.

Mjcpr
1/11/2006, 02:35 PM
If you treat you symptoms thoroughly, they will go away in about a week. If you do nothing, it will take about 7 days.

Tough call.

Viking Kitten
1/11/2006, 02:36 PM
I want to hear OU Doc's opinion on this, but isn't it better to take the OTC meds and keep everything dried up to reduce the risk of secondary infections?

Oldnslo
1/11/2006, 02:36 PM
mmmmm. secondary infections.

Mjcpr
1/11/2006, 02:37 PM
I want to hear OU Doc's opinion on this, but isn't it better to take the OTC meds and keep everything dried up to reduce the risk of secondary infections?
I think that's what hurt us on defense this year.

Howzit
1/11/2006, 02:53 PM
My doc says to let it flow.

Uh oh. I thought that was syphilis.

achiro
1/11/2006, 02:55 PM
THere was a doc on tv yesterday being interviewed about cough medicines. He said that they interrupt the body doing what it is suppose to do, cough out the gunk.

Do whatever you think is best for you.;)

Howzit
1/11/2006, 02:57 PM
USA Today had a front page article about otc cough medicines saying they were worthless. I was wondering more about the decongestant/anti-histimine stuff...

GDC
1/11/2006, 02:58 PM
The average person swallows a liter or two of saliva, phlegm, mucus, and other secretions every day, why stop when you're sick?

Oldnslo
1/11/2006, 03:03 PM
Uh oh. I thought that was syphilis.
That's drip. And it's the clap.

proud gonzo
1/11/2006, 03:06 PM
i always take a decongestant/antihistamine for allergies. when I'm sick as you described (like now) I get antibiotics. if it's a cold and not a sinus infection (if the stuff dripping from your nose is clear instead of nasty yellow/green) use zicam. that's what i did when i had a cold before christmas. helped a lot.

Harry Beanbag
1/11/2006, 03:07 PM
Isn't PG the expert on phlegm bombs? Ask her.

BajaOklahoma
1/11/2006, 03:07 PM
Decongestants - liquifiy the congestion, helps move it out
Antihistamines - dry up the secretions (thicken them), decreases the reaction to the allergan (if that's what you have, doesn't help with viruses)

I'm a get the stuff out person. The sinus headaches from drying up are worst than the drainage.
Warm/hot liquids, lozengers, saline nasal spray (for increased moisture), tylenol or advil for comfort is what I do. I also like hot showers or facedown on a heating pad. If the drainage starts looking like PG's, go in. You may need antibiotics.

Just be glad you don't have the stomach stuff. Vomiting for 6 hours. High temp. I still haven't eaten a meal or been to work this week. *Sigh*

proud gonzo
1/11/2006, 03:12 PM
Decongestants - liquifiy the congestion, helps move it out
Antihistamines - dry up the secretions (thicken them), decreases the reaction to the allergan (if that's what you have, doesn't help with viruses)

I'm a get the stuff out person. The sinus headaches from drying up are worst than the drainage.
Warm/hot liquids, lozengers, saline nasal spray (for increased moisture), tylenol or advil for comfort is what I do. I also like hot showers or facedown on a heating pad. If the drainage starts looking like PG's, go in. You may need antibiotics.

Just be glad you don't have the stomach stuff. Vomiting for 6 hours. High temp. I still haven't eaten a meal or been to work this week. *Sigh*
I guess I'm just lucky because I got sinus headaches WITH the drainage. :rolleyes:

proud gonzo
1/11/2006, 03:13 PM
oh, and my personal favorite to help drain stuff out of my head is to eat hot salsa or spicy thai food--something like that that makes your nose run. Plus it irritates me how food doesn't taste right when your head is all clogged up. With spicy foods that isn't much of a factor.

achiro
1/11/2006, 03:21 PM
At the first indication of Sinus pressure and/or infection I always do this old home remedy and it has worked well for me.(I have never taken an antibiotic in my life for this sort of thing. In fact the only time was an infected cut on a finger)
Anyway go to a natural health food store and get some unpasturized(key part) apple cider vinegar.
Eat a tablespoon or two, it actually makes a good oil and vinegar salad dressing as well when combined with olive oil, anyway, then put some in a pan with some water, you can weaken or strengthen it as you want and can tolerate. Boil it until steam start coming up, breathe in the steam for 5-10 minutes. Don't get right down on the pan or you will scald your eyebrows and nasal cavaties.:D I can't handle it straight, it burns too much. If you have any kind of infection it will burn a little.

Disclaimer: This is a home remedy, I have no idea if it has ever been researched but it works very well for me and several others I know that have tried it. There are no KNOWN side effects but again, with no research...
My understanding is that apple cider vinegar has been shown to have antiseptic properties and several other health benefits. I see absolutely no danger or I wouldn't do it myself.

Mjcpr
1/11/2006, 03:22 PM
In short, a Facial ******.

FirstandGoal
1/11/2006, 03:27 PM

Actually, drying it up will keep it all in there, thus increasing the chance for a secondary infection.

Oldnslo
1/11/2006, 03:28 PM
Actually, drying it up will keep it all in there, thus increasing the chance for a secondary infection.
Nothing worse than having it all dry up in there.

proud gonzo
1/11/2006, 03:30 PM
I too would like OUDoc's opinion.... now i dont' know whether I should keep taking my Allegra D or if I should go get something that's a decongestant without an antihistamine. :confused:

OUthunder
1/11/2006, 03:37 PM
Let it flow.

FirstandGoal
1/11/2006, 03:42 PM
I too would like OUDoc's opinion.... now i dont' know whether I should keep taking my Allegra D or if I should go get something that's a decongestant without an antihistamine. :confused:

I'm not OUdoc, but I am a pharmacist.
Antihistamines are wayyyyy overused. If at all possible, keep it flowin'

Mjcpr
1/11/2006, 03:42 PM
Let it flow.

I love Christmas songs.

Howzit
1/11/2006, 03:44 PM
Let it flow.

I feel sorry for the person sitting next to me on the plane tomorrow.

proud gonzo
1/11/2006, 03:45 PM
I'm not OUdoc, but I am a pharmacist.
Antihistamines are wayyyyy overused. If at all possible, keep it flowin'
well, I generally take the antihistamine for allergies. i hadn't thought about not taking it when i had a sinus infection

Mjcpr
1/11/2006, 03:56 PM
well, I generally take the antihistamine for allergies. i hadn't thought about not taking it when i had a sinus infection

Pffft.....MENSA ain't what she used to be.

proud gonzo
1/11/2006, 04:01 PM
Pffft.....MENSA ain't what she used to be.
you're dragging down the average :D

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2006, 04:23 PM

If you play your cards right maybe they'll ask to move and you'll have the whole row to yourself.

FirstandGoal
1/11/2006, 04:27 PM

[unsolicited Rph advice] make sure you load up on decongestants before the flight, or else you will regret it [end of advice]

proud gonzo
1/11/2006, 04:29 PM
flying with a sinus infection is not fun. not fun at all.

IB4OU2
1/11/2006, 04:34 PM

I thought you liked travelling with Iggy?

My wife always calls me a pain in the a**.

Oldnslo
1/11/2006, 04:35 PM
As do I, for all manner of reasons.

For God's sake, deodorant!

Howzit
1/11/2006, 04:37 PM
heh. And I just upgraded. The poor SOB in 4E has no idea what he's in for tomorrow.

handcrafted
1/11/2006, 04:38 PM
Solution: wasabi. Lots of it. :D Go to a sushi place and ask them to give you a few scoops.

Or Chinese hot mustard also works.

Then after the spice treatment :), do what I told PG: Advil and red wine.

FirstandGoal
1/11/2006, 04:43 PM
Remember, if you must drink while sick, screwdrivers are the way to go.

handcrafted
1/11/2006, 04:44 PM
Remember, if you must drink while sick, screwdrivers are the way to go.

Oh yeah, I remember F&G's screwdriver therapy from over the holidays. :D Also not a bad idea, but I'm not sure that orange juice and wasabi is the best combo. :D

FirstandGoal
1/11/2006, 04:49 PM
Oh yeah, I remember F&G's screwdriver therapy from over the holidays. :D Also not a bad idea, but I'm not sure that orange juice and wasabi is the best combo. :D

:D
Yeah, I can't really say that they taught us that one in pharmacy school...
And I'm pretty sure I would get fired if I seriously ever recommended it on the job.:eek:

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2006, 05:10 PM
heh. And I just upgraded. The poor SOB in 4E has no idea what he's in for tomorrow.

Sweeeeet . . .

DCSooner
1/11/2006, 05:29 PM
Major Crapper is the funniest person in this thread!

YMSS....

GottaHavePride
1/11/2006, 05:31 PM
[unsolicited Rph advice] make sure you load up on decongestants before the flight, or else you will regret it [end of advice]

and Afrin. Sure, you can get your nose addicted to the stuff, but using it right before getting on the plane to open your head up is a good thing. I'd say hit it about 20 minutes before boarding the plane, and have some tissues handy, because 15 minutes later you'll need to do about 5 minutes of nose-blowing.

Mjcpr
1/11/2006, 06:16 PM
Major Crapper is the funniest person in this thread!

YMSS....

:D

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2006, 06:41 PM
Last year I had to fly with an ear infection.

I'm glad they took my nail clippers, cuz I would have gouged my ear out with it.

SouthFortySooner
1/11/2006, 07:02 PM
Nasal hygiene works as well as any treatment. Warm salt water solution in and out.

I'm not a doctor but I work for one, I've learned all kindsa stuff by osmosis.

proud gonzo
1/11/2006, 07:05 PM
yeah, people have told me to rinse out my sinuses with salt water... I'm not about to try it. :eek:

SouthFortySooner
1/11/2006, 07:29 PM
It really works, washes out the bad bugs. Go easy on the salt or there are products in the pharmacy by a company called Ayr that are balanced.

BajaOklahoma
1/11/2006, 07:55 PM
Sounds gross, but the allergists are fond of it. It works.