PDA

View Full Version : In 12 years of Basketball is this enough for OU?

soonervegas
1/11/2006, 12:44 PM
1 Sweet 16
1 Elite 8
1 Final Four

Discuss.....

CtheB
1/11/2006, 12:48 PM
1 Sweet 16
1 Elite 8
1 Final Four

Discuss.....

As stated many times on this board by many participants, if you're happy competing in a tough conference and being an annual invitee to the Big Dance, Kelvin's your man.

I am just wondering how many people have lowered their expectations already to appease the sacred cow that is Kelvin Sampson. Now it seems that everyone would just be happy to make it to the tournament. All for a team everyone was very anxious to see this year, and had some lofty expectations.

Therein lies the answer to the question why no one cares to go watch them anymore at the LNC. Same song, ninth verse. The program has no life to it anymore.

TopDawg
1/11/2006, 12:50 PM
Is it fair to leave out the Big XII conference and tournament championships?

Boomer.....
1/11/2006, 12:57 PM
Is it fair to leave out the Big XII conference and tournament championships?

No. What about being the Big 12's all-time winning coach?

soonervegas
1/11/2006, 01:07 PM
I thought about adding them, but you are ultimately graded out by how you do in the tourney as a program.

CtheB
1/11/2006, 01:18 PM
Add the one conference title, and the three tournament titles, and then ask yourself...is THAT enough in 12 years?

OUAndy1807
1/11/2006, 02:25 PM
I wonder if Duke has these discussions about their football coach every year?

TopDawg
1/11/2006, 02:26 PM
Well, this just looks at Big XII history (the nine years leading up to this year), but it doesn't look too bad:

Regular Season:
Kansas
4 Big XII Titles
8 Top Three Finishes

Oklahoma
1 Big XII Title
6 Top Three Finishes

Texas
1 Big XII Title
6 Top Three Finishes

Iowa State
2 Big XII Titles
2 Top Three Finishes

OSU
1 Big XII Title
3 Top Three Finishes

All-Time Big XII Conference Record (Regular Season)
Kansas 118-26
Oklahoma 100-44
Texas 98-46
Oklahoma State 95-49

(It looks like Texas has now pulled even with us.)

All-Time Big XII Tournament Record
Oklahoma 17-6 (3 titles)
Kansas 16-6 (3 titles)
OSU 12-7 (2 titles)
Missouri 12-9
Texas 9-9

Yeah, Sampson's track record in the NCAA tournament is well-documented and, I'm sure even he'll admit, worse than it should be. But you can't question what he's been able to do in the Big XII. Only one team has a legit claim that they've done more--Big XII-wise--since the Big XII was formed.

oumartin
1/11/2006, 02:45 PM
who cares about the darn big 12 if thats all you can achieve..
5 years ago this program was one of the best in the country and should be able to achieve more than just an invite to the tourney. He has definately slipped.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/11/2006, 02:59 PM
Well, I can't say that I'm 100% satisfied. I'm certainly disappointed that we don't have at least one NC and 1-2 more Final 4s. The overall mediocre record in the NCAA tourney in the last decade is frustrating.

On the other hand IF you are implying by the question that we should run KS out of town because he hasn't done enough then I'm not on that bandwagon. We've had some teams overachieve as well. If you are going to cite the best Billy Tubbs OU teams then you should probably note his last couple years. Plus this year Sampson has the best recruiting class OU has had, maybe ever,at least since the late 80's.

I'm not saying you are saying this but if some people think that if we run KS out of town that there is going to be a long line of great coaches just jumping to take a job where a coach can average about 23-24 wins a year with a Final 4 appearance, a league title and several league tourney titles in a good basketball conference, fan support is mediocre, but expectations are that you must meet or exceed this level that Coach K,Tom Izzo, Jim Calhoun or Rick Pitino are going to jump to OU when they can go to another school that is in just a good of a conference and can be a hero by simply getting them to the NCAA then they aren't being realistic. Sure we could hire someone successful at a less prominant program or a top assistant from a big program but ask MU how Snyder is working out.

My one qualifier is the investigation into the improper phone calls. If it turns out to result in serious sanctions/probation then that does reflect back on Sampson. That would trump any disappointment over early tourney losses.

That aside, am I totally satisfied? No Has it been enough? Yes

oumartin
1/11/2006, 03:02 PM
what about when this makes 2 out of the last three years that we miss the tourney..
I say its time he goes.

Sooner04
1/11/2006, 03:17 PM
Still a lot of time left in the season to turn it around. No reason to be calling for NIT just yet guys. I'll have a better understanding of what this team is going to do once we get Neal back in the lineup.

NickZeppelin
1/11/2006, 03:18 PM
Billy Tubbs in 14 years at OU.
1 Final 4
1 Elite 8
1 Sweet 16
He had a 71.6% win percentage. Missed the NCAA Tourney 4 times
Average Score of the games during his career was 91-80

Kelvin Sampson
1 Final 4
1 Elite 8
1 Sweet 16
72% win percentage. Missed the NCAA Tourney 1 time
Average score of the games during his career has been 75-65 so far.

OU_Sooners75
1/11/2006, 03:19 PM
what about when this makes 2 out of the last three years that we miss the tourney..
I say its time he goes.

Do you honestly think we will miss the tourney?

Right now being 0-2 in the big 12 would suggest that...but there is plenty of games left.

However, Sampson needs to do soemthing about this....If he goes from a top 6 team to a noninvite...he needs to be gone and OU needs to find a good replacement.

I am tired of having teams that can win a lot of games only to get beat in the 1st or 2nd round of the NCAAs. It is time to determine...can Sampson take us to the next level, or are we just going to be a second teir team forever under him? If it is the latter, which he is proving every year...then it is time to get rid of him and wish him luck.

oumartin
1/11/2006, 03:23 PM
I think there is a good chance he loses this team and they go in the tank. there isn't a leader on the floor to suggest otherwise.

OU_Sooners75
1/11/2006, 03:31 PM
I think there is a good chance he loses this team and they go in the tank. there isn't a leader on the floor to suggest otherwise.

I agree and I believe we are witnessing it. However, to be optimestic(sp?) i sure hope someone steps up.

I know we are young at the guards, but this is ridiculous. OU was suppose to be a top 10 team...and right now, I do not even think we are an NIT team.

It is sad...I have enjoyed the success of Sampson, but he is like the Bill Snyder of Big 12 Basketball....continually has decent teams, may win the Big 12 once, but other than that, they are never going to win anything outside of the big 12.

It is either time to prove he can do better, or find someone that can....and dont take this as me being against Sampson, I think he is a good coach, but we just need a coach that will take it to the next level.

NickZeppelin
1/11/2006, 03:38 PM
You guys do realize we are close to being 2-0 instead of 0-2. Atleast this isn't like the NIT year when we started the conference schedule 0-3 or something like that and none of the games were close.

oumartin
1/11/2006, 03:38 PM
Nick. please dont

the_ouskull
1/11/2006, 03:45 PM
There may not be "a leader on the floor" as you're saying, but our best player is a post player, and that's always a more stabilizing factor for a team than if our best player was a guard. I think we're a Tourney Team, but we may not make it past the first round if we don't learn how to both attack a zone and play a better one ourselves...

the_ouskull

soonervegas
1/11/2006, 03:57 PM
Billy Tubbs in 14 years at OU.
1 Final 4
1 Elite 8
1 Sweet 16
He had a 71.6% win percentage. Missed the NCAA Tourney 4 times
Average Score of the games during his career was 91-80

Kelvin Sampson
1 Final 4
1 Elite 8
1 Sweet 16
72% win percentage. Missed the NCAA Tourney 1 time
Average score of the games during his career has been 75-65 so far.

I think Billy went:

1 Final 4
1 Elite 8
2 Sweet 16

but great point.

TopDawg
1/11/2006, 04:15 PM
Still a lot of time left in the season to turn it around. No reason to be calling for NIT just yet guys. I'll have a better understanding of what this team is going to do once we get Neal back in the lineup.

Yeah, I don't think people realize how much we miss Neal right now. Plus, maybe my memory is a little fuzzy, but it seems like Sampson has a decent record of developing freshmen during the year. It seems like a lot of our frosh make consistent significant progress throughout their first year. If Austin Johnson, now that we're relying on him more than we expected, can develop into a solid PG, this team may still be able to go deep in the tourney.

TopDawg
1/11/2006, 04:16 PM
who cares about the darn big 12 if thats all you can achieve..
5 years ago this program was one of the best in the country and should be able to achieve more than just an invite to the tourney. He has definately slipped.

That statement might carry a little more weight if we weren't the Big XII defending champs.

NickZeppelin
1/11/2006, 04:27 PM
Billy Tubbs acheived just as much as Kelvin Sampson has but no one is ever critical of Tubbs as a coach.

TopDawg
1/11/2006, 04:31 PM
Here's the big difference (as alluded to in another thread):

During Billy Tubbs' reign, TopDaug was brought to OU basketball.
During Kelvin Sampson's reign, TopDawg was removed from OU basketball.

People are ****ed.

oumartin
1/11/2006, 04:52 PM
Hmm, what team went the furthest in the dance last year?
only reason I ask is that OU may have won a big 12 that was kinda weak last year.. Just a thought. I don't know how the numbers stack.

NickZeppelin
1/11/2006, 04:58 PM
The problem right now is we don't have any Hollis Price, Newton or Ere type shooters we had in 01 or 02 area. We'll we might have one in Neal if he were healthy.

TopDawg
1/11/2006, 05:21 PM
Hmm, what team went the furthest in the dance last year?
only reason I ask is that OU may have won a big 12 that was kinda weak last year.. Just a thought. I don't know how the numbers stack.

Good question. Six Big XII teams went. 1/3rd lost in the first round, 1/3rd lost in the 2nd round, 1/3rd lost in the Sweet Sixteen.

First round
Texas: 4 point loss to Nevada
Kansas: 1 point loss to Bucknell :D

Second round
ISU: 27 point loss to eventual champ, UNC
OU: 9 point loss to Utah

Sweet 16
OSU: 1 point loss to Arizona
T Tech: 5 point loss to W. Virginia

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/11/2006, 07:09 PM
when you look at the tourney records, go by seed vs eventual exit. that paints a lot worse story of mr tubbs than some would believe.

its a fragile thing. tubbs lost it after the 90 squad and just wasn't able to ever get it back. not exactly sure why, but the offense and defense just wasn't there for the next 4 years.

NickZeppelin
1/11/2006, 08:18 PM
Talent would be a big problem. Tubbs' system makes him rely more on talent. What also has hurt Tubbs since then because he didn't have that much success at TCU or Lamar now is that teams now defend a lot better.

NickZeppelin
1/11/2006, 09:32 PM
Talent would be a big problem. Tubbs' system makes him rely more on talent. What also has hurt Tubbs since then because he didn't have that much success at TCU or Lamar now is that teams now defend a lot better.

Soonerus
1/11/2006, 09:37 PM
cool

Soonerus
1/11/2006, 09:39 PM
Cool

NickZeppelin
1/11/2006, 09:40 PM
I don't know how that happened I posted it left my computer then I went to another link and it posted it twice. Weird. We need to get this double post fixed so it redirects correctly.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/12/2006, 12:21 PM
I'm just checking. There hasn't been a public caning of Sampson scheduled, has there?

I'm not saying I'm happy with things right now but KS has a proven track record of teams improving as the year moves on. We've had teams where our go to guy was Nate Erdman and we managed to win. We've had too many players leave I agree but KS has his best recruiting class by far coming in next year and everyone is griping about the talent.

william_brasky
1/12/2006, 06:04 PM
During Kelvin Sampson's reign, TopDawg was removed from OU basketball.

I believe this is the primary reason for the OU Men's Cagers demise.

Bring TD back or continue the slide.

stoopified
1/13/2006, 02:21 AM
The sky is falling,the sky is falling.Fire Clvin Simpson.Funny thing is look at the the numbers mention above,Kelvin is the best OU coach ever.Anybody name one coach who can and WILL come to OU and do better.Anybody?
In all honesty we were proably overated entering this season as we lost our point guard (Lavender) and our two best wing shooters (Mckenzie and Williams)Their replacements at pointWalker) has been abust .Johnson who looks to be capable as both a point and shooting guard has been and still is hampered by injury but shows promise.Michael Neal regarded by many as the best shooter in juco ball has also been hurt and that certainly is something Kelvin cannot control.
IF we are anywhere near healthy in the next few games and can stay that way for the stretch run we will be Dancin' in March.Does anyone besides me recall this same crap being spewed at midseason last year and yet we came back to win the Big 12 didn't we?
As for the other great coaches in the Big !2(Knight,Barnes,Sutton,Self),they ain't been settin' the world on fire either.Since starting 0-4 in the NCAAs Kelvin has been 11-6 in his last 6 tourneys.If you check I think you will find that is more tourney games and wins for that time period than the legendary Sutton or Knight.Win or lose I back the Sooners AND the coaches.Hell I even renewed my football tickets inspite of Scnelly and Boo.There is no way I quit on Kelvin.