PDA

View Full Version : How many of you bought the XBOX 360?

Hatfield
1/11/2006, 09:46 AM
And at what point did you realize you were sold a $300-400 regular DVD player, and not an HD-DVD one. Just curious.

Pieces Hit
1/11/2006, 09:53 AM
Really...?
I knew it was progressive scan but not high def?
What's the difference?

I was going to buy one in March when Elder Scrolls Oblivion came out.

I heard the first 360's had problems with over-heating and stuff too.

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2006, 09:56 AM
Is the PS3 supposed to be a HD-DVD player?

Jimminy Crimson
1/11/2006, 09:57 AM
Is the PS3 supposed to be a HD-DVD player?

I think it's supposed to be like $500.

It better be HD. And it better fold my laundry, too!

Hatfield
1/11/2006, 10:03 AM
Just been hearing grumblings that they advertised HD-DVD and that isn't what they put out.

Apparently the XBOX that is going to be released later this year will have HD-DVD but the initial run didn't have it....which is contrary to what they advertised.

first pearl harbor and now this.

yermom
1/11/2006, 10:07 AM
I think it's supposed to be like $500.

It better be HD. And it better fold my laundry, too!

it's supposed to be a DVR too isn't it?

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2006, 10:08 AM
I thought DVDs were in HD, no?

TopDawg
1/11/2006, 10:21 AM
Oh man! I think they also advertised that you can play games on it. But it's just a DVD player?!

Heads are gonna roll!

Pieces Hit
1/11/2006, 10:21 AM
I'm as confused as an untouched OSU sheep.

yermom
1/11/2006, 10:23 AM
I thought DVDs were in HD, no?

i think they just announced the titles for the first ones to be made in HD

i don't remember reading when they would be released

Frozen Sooner
1/11/2006, 10:23 AM
No, DVDs are not in high definition. They ARE in progressive scan format, usually in 480p, which is almost twice as good as normal TV (which is 540i.) HD formats are usually 540p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p.

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2006, 10:25 AM
Oh, thanks. So is anything in HD that you see on HD TVs?

Beef
1/11/2006, 10:26 AM
i think they just announced the titles for the first ones to be made in HD

i don't remember reading when they would be released
Any of it pron? Although I'm not completely sure I want to see pron in HD.

achiro
1/11/2006, 10:39 AM
And at what point did you realize you were sold a $300-400 regular DVD player, and not an HD-DVD one. Just curious.
I have a dvd player, I bought my 360 to play kick *** video games, haven't been too disappointed so far. You envy me don't you.:D

Soonrboy
1/11/2006, 10:46 AM
I'm as confused as an untouched OSU sheep.

new tag line.

Oldnslo
1/11/2006, 11:45 AM
Oh, thanks. So is anything in HD that you see on HD TVs?
If it's broadcast in HD and you've got the goods to display HD, it'll be in HD. A HD TV/monitor/screen/whatever can't take a regular signal and turn it into HD.

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2006, 11:49 AM
are many channels broadcast in HD? are they pay channels?

I'm not trying to be a smartass I promise. I have a 1982 model Zenith 45" TV that needs replaced soon and I'm debating on whether to get another bigscreen has a HD receiver in it or just get a smaller TV and get the HD thing when I can watch stuff in HD. If that makes sense.

mdklatt
1/11/2006, 11:57 AM

The Big Four networks are broadcasting in HD now, but not all programming is HD. With Cox Cable up here you get these channels as part of your digital cable package, you just have to pay extra for the HD cable box. Several cable channels have gone HD: ESPN, Discovery Channel, HBO, Showtime, and National Geographic Channel. These HD channels used to be extra, but now if you get the regular version of the channel you get the HD version too--I think.

We're at the tipping point where you'll be able to take advantage of a new HDTV as soon as you get it. Besides, in a year or two all programming will be HD. If you still have an old TV you'll need a converter.

SoonerAtKU
1/11/2006, 11:59 AM
360 never claimed to play HD DVD, since the players and content for that are not readily available anywhere yet. 360 does plan to have an HD-DVD add-on or extender available this year, however. It would not be a different model box, just an external HD-DVD drive. The games it plays are required to display in at least 720p HD.

On a related note, I would have a 360, but instead I have a new transmission. WAHOO! Also, I'm for sure buying one when Oblivion comes out.

SoonerAtKU
1/11/2006, 12:01 PM
network trouble, double post

colleyvillesooner
1/11/2006, 12:12 PM

I'm not trying to be a smartass I promise. I have a 1982 model Zenith 45" TV that needs replaced soon and I'm debating on whether to get another bigscreen has a HD receiver in it or just get a smaller TV and get the HD thing when I can watch stuff in HD. If that makes sense.

You live in Fort Worth, so just get the HD TV and get Comcast. It's 5 extra bucks a month for HD ($10 if you want a dual tuner DVR), and you get the following:
ESPN HD
FOX HD
ABC HD
CBS HD
NBC HD
Discovery HD
PBS HD
InHD 1
InHD 2
TNT HD

Alot of primetime shows and sitcoms, ER, WEST WING, LOST, those type show are in HD. Leno, Letterman and Conan are all HD. I think it's worth it now, and will only get better. Sports look amazing and I just have a 30" sony widescreen that was $1100.

Plus they are about to launch digital locals (4,5,8,11) They aren't HD quality, but are better than analog. This way when someting isn't in HD, you can watch it on the digital, nice looking channel, as opposed to the old analog signal. THey tested them here for a week and they looked great.