PDA

View Full Version : Kejuan Jones!!

Collier11
1/11/2006, 04:28 AM
Is he the most UNDERRATED rb at OU ever?? I will admit he never quite had what it took to be a superstar, but the guy only started on full year(even though he shared carries with Renaldo) and still ended up #16 with 2,295 yds, #5 with 592 att, and #6 with 35 tds all-time. Keep this in mind, he has more rushing yds than Elvis Peacock, Lott, mildren, and billy vessels, and more rushing tds than watts, holieway, mildren, vessels, gaddis, and Lott.

Boomer.....
1/11/2006, 09:52 AM
Anyone is going to be overlooked running behind Q and AD

instigator
1/11/2006, 09:53 AM
Nice.

Readyfor8
1/11/2006, 10:25 AM
Kejuan is a workhorse of a runningback, I personally think he will get a shot with an NFL Team, maybe not drafted but I think he gets a shot. His yards and Touchdowns are a little inflated by the system though, because we don't use the same back every down, and he got alot of short yardage touchdowns from Q.

He is a good back, and I think he would have been a good 2-3 year starter if we didn't land AD. On the other hand, if we hadn't burned Q's redshirt he may never have had a season to call his own (and maybe he would have the Touchdown title as a result of Q staying the extra year.)

oumartin
1/11/2006, 10:52 AM
I know the coaching staff really appreciated all the KJ did. Especially in the Sugar Bowl.

SoonersEnFuego
1/11/2006, 10:55 AM
No, he gets about the right amount of Spek, I'd say.

Jimminy Crimson
1/11/2006, 11:01 AM
I bet Keith Jackson is glad Kejuan's eligibility is up.

Also BBS.

critical_phil
1/11/2006, 11:04 AM
I bet Keith Jackson is glad Yo-han Poteat's eligibility is up..

:D

King Crimson
1/11/2006, 11:07 AM
i wouldn't say he's the MOST underrated...and if Chuck keeps feeding him the ball out of the I in NO......he might have been remembered for something else.

a guy who doesn't get nearly enough public props is Kenny King.

he was a beast.

85sooners
1/11/2006, 11:19 AM
i wouldn't say he's the MOST underrated...and if Chuck keeps feeding him the ball out of the I in NO......he might have been remembered for something else.

he was a beast.yes kenny was :D

critical_phil
1/11/2006, 11:20 AM

he was a beast.

a. i'll never understand why chuck long gets the blame for OU laying a turd in that game. do you recall an overthrown pass to a wide-open KJ in that game? personally, that game embarrasses me much more than TGOWWDNS. all we had to do is show up and play, and we didn't.

b. King is a good choice.

King Crimson
1/11/2006, 11:30 AM
i don't think Chuck gets the total blame by most....just the second to last drive where we are knocking LSU off the ball on every play running KeJuan out of the I, they are gassed--you can tell sitting in the OU section in that endzone. we've got it 1st and 10 on their 12.

the delay screen to KJ that White overthrows was a great call...but we run pass plays something like the last 12 plays. OK, so you say time is an issue, unless we are playing for the tie and getting the ball back (a la Switzer at NU in 86) to kick the PAT and then kick a FG. we do get the ball back, FWIW.

i personally think if we score there's no way Stoops doesn't go for 2. LSU is gassed, and it's going into the OU side of the field on the road.

the real backbreaker in that game was the INT JW throws to open the second half pinned deep that goes for a TD. LSU doesn't score an offensive point in the second half.

King Crimson
1/11/2006, 11:34 AM
the other thing about Kenny King, he had the longest NFL career out of the Overstreet/Sims era backfield. and a super bowl ring, if i recall.

Lott, Sims, Overstreet, King in the bone....damn.

oumartin
1/11/2006, 11:37 AM
and don't forget, that game is still not over. they thow a completion to a reciever that Strait strips the ball from and recovers but they rule it incomplete. With instant reply that call gets overturned. That was the series right after OU doesn't score from the 12.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/11/2006, 12:34 PM
not to mention the INT that was nullified by the penalty on their lone TD drive.

jigglymonkey
1/11/2006, 12:40 PM
i was disappointed in the way Kejuan changed his running style from his freshman year to his sophmore. I seem to remember he would be in on short yardage plays instead of Q and he would always get 7 yards and get tripped up by the last defender. I dont know if its because he put on weight or what but his freshman year he would always hit the whole at full speed.

With that said, i still appreciate all that he did and will still remember his 5 TDs against TTech in '03

Ban One Sooner
1/11/2006, 12:50 PM
For Kejuan, the biggest indicator in why he never became what we all hoped he would become seems to be the difference in where he ranks in attempts #5, and total yards #16.

Part of that is due to his use as a short yardage back, but the fact remains that he just didn't produce any break away runs and he was never really a threat to create big plays at the running back position. Both Kejuan and Works always had problems in getting by that first guy.

OUDizzle
1/11/2006, 01:08 PM
He gets plenty of touches....

(on my ps2)

Big Red Ron
1/11/2006, 01:11 PM
Kejuan went down after initial contact more than any OU RB I've seen in a looong time. Props to him for being a Sooner.

Oh and the SB was lost by whomever the dip**** was that called four consecutive pass plays from first and 10 at the LSU 12. Seriously.

soonervegas
1/11/2006, 01:12 PM
Like previous posters have said......he would be remembered much more fondly is he was allowed to win the Sugar Bowl for us. (Which he was well on his way to doing)

Big Red Ron
1/11/2006, 01:14 PM
Like previous posters have said......he would be remembered much more fondly is he was allowed to win the Sugar Bowl for us. (Which he was well on his way to doing)Until Chuck decided to get cute with his play calls.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/11/2006, 01:15 PM
Can't say I think he is at all underrated. #16 is about right. Actually.. a bit high thanks to the aforementioned attempts.

Too bad the kid wasn't around in the 80's. He would have been a nice pitch option where all he has to worry about is catchin'-n-scootin'. His YPC would have been a lot better.

However, as a feature back in a pro-set, spread, or I, the guy very simply could not get out of his own way all too often.

And as for a possible NFL future for KeJuan, there's not much of a market for backs that can't elude or too often have their apple carts upset by the mysterious turf gnome. Maybe he'll combine well, but I hear those NFL types watch film too. The fact is that Gutierrez was a more effective replacement, and I'd say flat out better, when AD went down.

Hopefully though he will catch on as a very late rounder or free agent 3rd down situational/special teams guy. I'd love to see him get the opportunity. All I've heard about him is he is a great kid with a great work ethic. And lord knows there aren't enough of those types in the NFL.

Tear Down This Wall
1/11/2006, 03:16 PM
Anyone is going to be overlooked running behind Q and AD

Not necessarily with Q. Remember, Q didn't play well consistently until his senior year. Kejuan had every opportunity to beat him out in 2001, but couldn't.

That being said, Kejuan gave us some great memories. The mad TD outburst against Texas Tech in 2003 was my favorite. I still hold that if we'd kept running at the end of the 2004 Sugar Bowl, Kejuan'd been in the end zone tying the score and sending that puppy into overtime.

Thanks for the memories, Kejuan.

TheGodfather889
1/11/2006, 05:08 PM
I love Kejuan he's one of my favorite Sooners ever but I can't say he's underrated because he wasn't a great runningback.He did score alot of touchdowns but he's not great like AD,Quentin Griffin,Billy Sims,Joe Washington,Greg Pruitt,Steve Owens and Billy Vessels.Kejuan had a nice career at OU but I don't think he was good enough to be up there with those guys.

Tear Down This Wall
1/11/2006, 05:49 PM
Listen, if there were ever two underrated tailbacks at OU they were Mike Gaddis and Demond Parker. Hol-eee crap! If you'd ever seen Gaddis play in person, you'd know.

Also, Parker. Sweet monkey Tuesdays! If he'd played on a team with a decent line, he'd have gone for 2,000 easy. If not for marijuana....

bigdsooner
1/11/2006, 05:55 PM
i give him props. he wanted to be at OU no matter what, how many other players would have done what he did. he played his a$$ off like a true Sooner should when his chances came. i know he wasnt the greatest, but im glad he came to OU... thanks KJ

SouthFortySooner
1/11/2006, 06:43 PM
My perception of Kejuan was injured from the beginning, as one of my first interenet querys was, "is there a great running back in the future for OK".

Someone answered "yes and he's out of Jenk's.

I was thinkin Billy Sims, Adrian type. Sorry.

shavedmarmoset
1/11/2006, 06:48 PM
Not necessarily with Q. Remember, Q didn't play well consistently until his senior year. Kejuan had every opportunity to beat him out in 2001, but couldn't.

Kejuan was a true freshman then so he really didn't have a chance of beating out Q. He was too good of a blocker and pass catcher to be kept off the field. Only Renaldo had a chance at starting over him and that never happened either.

jigglymonkey
1/12/2006, 08:54 AM
I bet it did take alot for him to stay after AD showed up. After every AD TD i would see Kejuan the first to congratulate him on the sidelines. I gained alot of respect for him right there

Jason White's Third Knee
1/12/2006, 05:16 PM
Is he the most UNDERRATED rb at OU ever?? I will admit he never quite had what it took to be a superstar, but the guy only started on full year(even though he shared carries with Renaldo) and still ended up #16 with 2,295 yds, #5 with 592 att, and #6 with 35 tds all-time. Keep this in mind, he has more rushing yds than Elvis Peacock, Lott, mildren, and billy vessels, and more rushing tds than watts, holieway, mildren, vessels, gaddis, and Lott.

Probably not under-rated, but I sure liked the kid. He busted his *** in the Sugar Bowl. He was willing his team in to the endzone and running like a man posessed... and then we passed for 4 downs.

I really started liking that kid right then. He showed amazing heart.

gnostic19
1/12/2006, 05:26 PM
Listen, if there were ever two underrated tailbacks at OU they were Mike Gaddis and Demond Parker. Hol-eee crap! If you'd ever seen Gaddis play in person, you'd know.

Gaddis was always my favorite less-remembered back. That game against OSU when he and sanders bother ran for over 200 yards was a keeper.

Tear Down This Wall
1/12/2006, 06:08 PM
Gaddis was the Manchild. He'd have been the next Bo Jackson/Herschel Walker if not for the knee injury in the '89 Texas game. In five and a half games that year, he ran for well over 800 yards. He already had 130+ in the Texas game when his knee game out on him - in the open field...like Jason White's knee.

Hail, Gaddis!