PDA

View Full Version : First Sooner memory

FirstandGoal
1/10/2006, 03:44 PM
Thought this would good thread for today.

My first memory of anything Sooner was when I was about 4-5 years old. My dad has had season tickets since '71 and my parents went to every game. I can remember the matching outfits they used to wear. My mom was pretty handy with the sewing machine and found crimson polyester fabric with little OU's on them and made them matching shirts. (gotta remember this was the 70's:O ) Anyway, I can remember that anytime I saw them sporting those shirts meant that OU was playing, the grandparents were going to babysit that day, and that it would pretty much be the best day ever.

shavedmarmoset
1/10/2006, 04:04 PM
When I was about 3 years old, my dad bought me a crimson jacket that said Oklahoma on the back in white letters. That was my first memory of anything OU. My first game, however, was in 1997 when we played Baylor and won when Baylor failed on a two-point conversion. My cousin was a redshirt freshman on that team. At the time I had no idea that it was bad to almost lose to Baylor but hey, we pulled it off.

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 04:18 PM
My first memory of OU would have to be a jacket and hat I got when I was younger (5-7???) My first game 1993 game vs. Colorado...ugh....salaam rushed for like 200 + on our as$es....that was a bad first game...

JohnnyMack
1/10/2006, 04:19 PM
OU v. WVU 1982

**** You Jeff Hostettler.

westcoast_sooner
1/10/2006, 04:19 PM
When I was about 10, the lady who took care of my brothers and me had a daughter who went to OU. This would have been in about '65 or '66, and all she could talk about was the upcoming domer game. I remember listening to the game with her on the radio. We got crushed 38-0. She hated them.

She would tell me stories about the famous teams of the '50s and the legacy of Sooner football, the National Championships and how special the Sooners were. I've been a Sooner football fan ever since. Then went to see OU play ISU in Norman when I was about 12. Saw Steve Owens play. What a game.

FirstandGoal
1/10/2006, 04:25 PM
My first actual game memory is from the OU-Nebraska game where Billy made history with "the fumble". I learned some new words from my parents that day.:eek:

GDC
1/10/2006, 04:36 PM
My dad watching the 71 NU game and ranting about the noncall on Rodger's return.

OUinFLA
1/10/2006, 05:02 PM
When you get my age, you will find the "memoriy" truly is one of the first to go.
But I do remember Bud, Tommy McDonald and Clendon Thomas on the radio during "THE STREAK".
details are quite vague though.

<I dont seem to be having too much trouble remembering what not to post about today>

TUSooner
1/10/2006, 05:18 PM
I was 3 or 4. I didn't know it then, but later learned, that the Great Bud Wilkinson was OUr coach, maybe in his last year. My mother carried me off of a train into a crowd of people dressed in a lot of red. I have no idea who we played or even if we won. A year or so later I recall embarrassing my parents but amusing the folks sitting near us by yelling, "What are you teaching them, Gomer!?" as the post-Bud slide was underway.

IB4OU2
1/10/2006, 05:21 PM
My dad watching the 71 NU game and ranting about the noncall on Rodger's return.

I was at that game, one of the hightlights/lows of my young 16 year old life..................

oumartin
1/10/2006, 05:27 PM
I slightly remember Billy Simms but really got hooked watching Dupree run over Arizona State in 83.
I was 9

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/10/2006, 05:27 PM
Being about ten or so and watching a game on TV to try to figure out this football thing that the cute boys at school were always talking about.

Didn't understand it at all, but I enjoyed the parts where the horses and wagon ran onto the field.

King Crimson
1/10/2006, 05:43 PM
I slightly remember Billy Simms but really got hooked watching Dupree run over Arizona State in 83.
I was 9

i don't remember Billy Simms at all.

oumartin
1/10/2006, 05:46 PM
i don't remember Billy Simms at all.

you know where you can stick that spell checker don't ya! :D

Vaevictis
1/10/2006, 05:52 PM
1986 (I think) at a bowl-game party with family friends. Much swearing and biotching about how coach waited until the last few plays to try and throw the ball ("Of course they know you're going to throw it now!").

King Crimson
1/10/2006, 06:04 PM
you know where you can stick that spell checker don't ya! :D

dude, i don't need any spellchecker. yo.

oumartin
1/10/2006, 06:07 PM
well then my foot will do!!!!!!

Snyder Cyclone
1/10/2006, 06:10 PM
Sitting in the south endzone watching Bob Warmack, Eddie Hinton, Ron Shotts, and Steve Owens. Thought I was in heaven !!!!!!

German Corner
1/10/2006, 06:12 PM
Listening to an interview with Joe Wylie just before the texas game 1971.

First memory at a game was the next year playing osu and chiming in with the south end zone crowd gettin' loud as Albert Chandler hauled in a pass and ran about 70 yards for a score. Great game, great day.

Go Sooners!

NickZeppelin
1/10/2006, 06:13 PM
It had to be during the Gibbs era. I think we beat Nebraska in 90 that may be the first thing I remember. It was pretty soundly too 45-10 or something like that.

oumartin
1/10/2006, 06:19 PM
Nick, you are so young. I guess.
maybe I won't neg you every chance I get from now on.

NickZeppelin
1/10/2006, 06:39 PM
I'm 21. I may remember something from 1989 if I think hard enough but it would probably be a play or something like that. I doubt I could even describe much about it. I didn't really get into the favorite players thing till around 92 when we started going down hill. I think we had Gundy of course, Aubrey Beavers, Scott Blanton, Joe Bowden, Tyrell Peters, Mike Coats, and Reggie Barnes were some of my favorite players.

MiccoMacey
1/10/2006, 06:44 PM
Just after the cannon went off and my family and I ran and grabbed our spot of land, I vividly recall tossing a pigskin around with my older brothers.

I guess that would be my first Sooner football memory.

I win!! I win!! :D

King Crimson
1/10/2006, 06:45 PM
well then my foot will do!!!!!!

exactly how?

since you inexactly continue to mispell the name of an Oklahoma Heisman Trophy Winner....and then cite a game OU loses as yer hook?

many of yer posts are of the damning with faint praise category...if you know what that means.

don't be rolling out threats with me.

:D

oumartin
1/10/2006, 06:47 PM
now now now,
I know OU lost that Fiesta Bowl but it darn sure made me a fan.

GDC
1/10/2006, 08:13 PM
I was at that game, one of the hightlights/lows of my young 16 year old life..................

In reference to the recent "is Reggie Bush the Greatest of All Time?" thread, my father says Johnny Rodgers was as good as anyone who ever played, but he still caught a tremendous break on that play.

MiccoMacey
1/10/2006, 08:15 PM
In reference to the recent "is Reggie Bush the Greatest of All Time?" thread, my father says Johnny Rodgers was as good as anyone who ever played, but he still caught a tremendous break on that play.

Johnny Rodgers...illegal block (received)
Reggie Bush....illegal push (made)

TUSooner
1/10/2006, 10:29 PM
I was there, and I think the same thing ever time I see that **** replay. Today every return seems to get a block-in-the-back call, back then... not so much, even though I counted 3 of them on that runback.

1991SOONER
1/10/2006, 10:56 PM
My dad took me to my first game in 1976 when we played Missouri at home.

The stadium was packed and the atmosphere was very electric!!

Thats all it took and I was hooked for life. When I attended OU, I usually got season tickets. That was from '86-'91. Hence, 1991Sooner.

It was also fun to see football greats walking around the campus. I saw Brian Bosworth and Charles Thompson once.

MiccoMacey
1/10/2006, 11:01 PM
Ran into Anthony Phillips up here in Tulsa a few months back.

Looks slimmed down, but still wouldn't want to call him a bad name.

LifelongSooner
1/11/2006, 10:01 AM
I will preface this with an OFA (Old Fart Alert).
I can remember standing in my grandfather’s shed, while he and my dad tinkered on the car, a lawnmower, and sharpened tools, listening to the Notre Dame game on the radio. That was when they broke our streak. I was only 3 or 4, but I remember how upset both those men were at the outcome. They were Christian men, so there was no cussing or throwing things. They were almost open-mouthed in disbelief. They were both sniffling, but it could have been the cold. We all had jackets and gloves on, and could see our breath in the cold. There were rays of sun coming through the cracks in the shed, shining on dust particles. To this day, when I smell that musty smell, mixed with the smell of gasoline, I’m back in that shed. My grandfather told me that was a historic day, and said no one would ever do as well again. He said I would remember it all my life. He was right! So my love affair with OU began back then—and my intense dislike of the domers and Ara.

My first texas memory (and I can talk about it today, but not Tuesday) was when I was in the 3rd grade, my mom was helping me memorize for my Geography test. I was having some trouble remembering where all the states were, as she quizzed me. She said, “Honey, just remember, as in all things—texas is beneath us.” No choice!

PalmBeachSooner
1/11/2006, 10:16 AM
My first memory is a bad one. It is listening on the radio to the OU-Missouri game they lost back in '76 or '77.

GDC
1/11/2006, 10:19 AM
I will preface this with an OFA (Old Fart Alert).
I can remember standing in my grandfather’s shed, while he and my dad tinkered on the car, a lawnmower, and sharpened tools, listening to the Notre Dame game on the radio. That was when they broke our streak. I was only 3 or 4, but I remember how upset both those men were at the outcome. They were Christian men, so there was no cussing or throwing things. They were almost open-mouthed in disbelief. They were both sniffling, but it could have been the cold. We all had jackets and gloves on, and could see our breath in the cold. There were rays of sun coming through the cracks in the shed, shining on dust particles. To this day, when I smell that musty smell, mixed with the smell of gasoline, I’m back in that shed. My grandfather told me that was a historic day, and said no one would ever do as well again. He said I would remember it all my life. He was right! So my love affair with OU began back then—and my intense dislike of the domers and Ara.

My first texas memory (and I can talk about it today, but not Tuesday) was when I was in the 3rd grade, my mom was helping me memorize for my Geography test. I was having some trouble remembering where all the states were, as she quizzed me. She said, “Honey, just remember, as in all things—texas is beneath us.” No choice!

My father said he bawled like a baby, but then he was only 10 or 11.

Blues1
1/11/2006, 10:28 AM
The Year 1952 - Age 10 years old - Billy Vessels is Running up and down the field - Blocking - Tackling - In a losing effort to Norte Dame - I can't believe my eyes on how this guy won't go down breaking tackle after tackle - I start cheering for this football player that just won't give up --- Watching on a 6 inch tube TV - About the only size they came in those days.... 4 other young friends are there cheering for Norte Dame and then teasing me because The Sooners lost in a very close game....I said then and there Oklahoma is my team and I want to play football like Billy Vessels and I will never go down without a fight.....!!!

Just Keep Rockin'....................:)

soonerjoker
1/11/2006, 11:13 AM
i saw a football publication the other day that quoted Switzer as saying the
3 scariest runners he ever saw were, in no particular order;

joe washington
johnny rodgers
barry sanders

goodonya
1/11/2006, 11:13 AM
I'll amend mine to First Sooner Game memory which is 1967. I'm with my grandfather who had a business arrangement with the OU journalism department - OSU in Norman. My grandmother had taught science to SanToi DeBose (sp?) in HS and Steve Zabel is a distant relative. I remember watching and mostly hearing over the PA names like Hinton, Bigby, Hetherington, Liggins, Shotts, Titsworth and Vachon (sp?). From what I remember the next two years were when Owens really emerged especially in Norman in 1969 when he had 50+ carries. I thought at the time that life could not get better than this.

handcrafted
1/11/2006, 12:33 PM
Uwe Von Schamann

:D

The thrill of victory, and the agony of Keith Jackson (TFKJ)

:D :D

FlatheadSooner
1/11/2006, 01:05 PM
When I was about 5 yrs old, I got an OU crimson football jersey. Everyone kept saying "Joe Washington, #24" and heard it enough that I started telling all my friends how great he was. I had never actually watched an OU game at that point, but obviously my mind was made.

First OU game was 1983 at home against Ohio State. We lost 14-24, but being my first time in Owen stadium was an awesome experience!
:)

CatfishSooner
1/11/2006, 01:11 PM
My earliest Sooner memory was when I was probably about 5 years old at a home game(not sure who we were playing) with my Dad...at the exact same time OU scored a touchdown I got stung by a bee...I was all crying and screamin' and everyone just thought I was happy we scored...It wasn't very funny then, but now I get a pretty good laugh out of it...

CincySooner
1/11/2006, 02:17 PM
When I was about 3 years old, my dad bought me a crimson jacket that said Oklahoma on the back in white letters. That was my first memory of anything OU. My first game, however, was in 1997 when we played Baylor and won when Baylor failed on a two-point conversion. My cousin was a redshirt freshman on that team. At the time I had no idea that it was bad to almost lose to Baylor but hey, we pulled it off.

hah!! that was my first game too.

Tear Down This Wall
1/11/2006, 03:19 PM
1976. Sunday nights. We'd get home from church, eat soup and sandwiches, and watch the Oklahoma Playback Show on Channell 11 in Dallas, Texas. Tomato soup, potted meat sandwiches, a glass of milk, and Thomas Lott. Good times.

FirstandGoal
1/11/2006, 03:58 PM
I posted my first memory here yesterday, but this is another good one from my college days from 86 to 91. October weekends in Dallas on commerce street...good times, good times.