PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops Demeanor?

SouthFortySooner
1/10/2006, 12:51 PM
I have often wondered if the majority of this group agrees with him? A slight example in question would be his treatment of Rhett on the sideline after the celebritory spike. Would he have not been as set had he just laughed and told him to go back in and spike it again?

I know its hard to argue with his results.

Taxman71
1/10/2006, 12:55 PM
Considering that was the single dumbest play of the year by a frosh QB, I was glad to see Stoops as ****ed as I was watching it. He coaching until the final second and teaching RB a lesson for the rest of his career.

We tried hiring a "love and hugs" head coach in the late 90's, it didn't take.

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 12:55 PM
Bob is a businessman. He does NOT fool around. Not that it matters at all, but Bob is also very arrogant and at times can seem pretty full of himself....

Herr Scholz
1/10/2006, 12:57 PM
Duck.

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 12:58 PM
Rhett needed every bit of the arse chewing he got on the sidelines....I thought PT was actually going to get to snap the last snap Bob was so pist off..

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 12:58 PM
Duck.

Duck...

critical_phil
1/10/2006, 01:00 PM
Bob is a businessman. He does NOT fool around. Not that it matters at all, but Bob is also very arrogant and at times can seem pretty full of himself....

there's no reason to post things like this.

i'm pretty sure you can just PM the mods if you'd rather be known as The Consumate Jackass............

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
Bob is a businessman. He does NOT fool around. Not that it matters at all, but Bob is also very arrogant and at times can seem pretty full of himself....Not so sure about your last point. I think that because he is pretty serious, he might appear as arrogant to some.

Rhino
A slight example in question would be his treatment of Rhett on the sideline after the celebritory spike. Would he have not been as set had he just laughed and told him to go back in and spike it again? Rhett deserved a bit more than what he got for that.

If I were coach he'd be running stairs until spring ball.

C&CDean
1/10/2006, 01:02 PM
Rhett deserved a bit more than what he got for that.

If I were coach he'd be running stairs until spring ball.

Wurd.

OUDoc
1/10/2006, 01:03 PM
Duck...
Goose?

oumartin
1/10/2006, 01:05 PM
I love Bob Stoops!

RooseveltRoughRider
1/10/2006, 01:05 PM
I think a skulldragging was in order. Discipline is a must on good football teams. It keeps people's ego's in check and forces them to focus on their priorities. Bob will never let Norman turn into a Talahassee or Coral Gables. OR Blacksburg now..lol

SoonerObsession
1/10/2006, 01:07 PM
That was so cool to see fire shoot out Bob's eyes like that. I've only seen that one time before, when I told my dad I spilled paint on our pool table. :0

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 01:07 PM
there's no reason to post things like this.

i'm pretty sure you can just PM the mods if you'd rather be known as The Consumate Jackass............

Did I strike a chord? I am just going off of several of my close friends and my own accounts of meetings with Bob away from the media and "important" people...maybe he isn't so much arrogant as he is more of a family man or something, i don't know the word i'm looking for here....jeez, take a pill man

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 01:09 PM
Wurd.

Up :)

picasso
1/10/2006, 01:15 PM
coaches that chew *** are the best. I never had any repsect for the ones who said nothing in my younger days.
along with the arse chewing there was always the coach who came by afterwards to build you back up.

it's called life eh.

Mjcpr
1/10/2006, 01:17 PM
Personally, I don't care for the way he irons his pants. Those pleats on the front just scream "I'm better than you!!".

OUDoc
1/10/2006, 01:21 PM
Personally, I don't care for the way he irons his pants. Those pleats on the front just scream "I'm better than you!!".
He is. And not just because of the pleats.

westcoast_sooner
1/10/2006, 01:22 PM
He should chew his QB's a** or anyone else's when they make boneheaded plays like that. We had the game won, but kept making stupid mistakes there at the end of the game. All our kids have to do is stay focused for a few more seconds, and then they can celebrate all they want.

I think Bomar thought that the kneel down was going to be the last play, and he could spike the ball. He should have been paying closer attention to the clock. Probably chalk that up to youthful exuberance, but I'll bet he doesn't make those kinds of mistakes ever again.

critical_phil
1/10/2006, 01:25 PM
Did I strike a chord?

no, you didn't strike a chord.

but don't make an idiotic post and expect not to be called an idiot.

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 01:26 PM
He should chew his QB's a** or anyone else's when they make boneheaded plays like that. We had the game won, but kept making stupid mistakes there at the end of the game. All our kids have to do is stay focused for a few more seconds, and then they can celebrate all they want.

I think Bomar thought that the kneel down was going to be the last play, and he could spike the ball. He should have been paying closer attention to the clock. Probably chalk that up to youthful exuberance, but I'll bet he doesn't make those kinds of mistakes ever again.

Stoops looked like he was going to jump down his throat. I bet Rhett was almost in tears after what Bobby said to him. He , Bob, looked like he could have ripped off Rhett's helmet and kicked it for a field goal at that point...

picasso
1/10/2006, 01:28 PM
Stoops looked like he was going to jump down his throat. I bet Rhett was almost in tears after what Bobby said to him. He , Bob, looked like he could have ripped off Rhett's helmet and kicked it for a field goal at that point...
what's your point?

Mjcpr
1/10/2006, 01:29 PM
He is. And not just because of the pleats.

Did you just call me a name?

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 01:35 PM
no, you didn't strike a chord.

but don't make an idiotic post and expect not to be called an idiot.

idiotic? the only reason i said he was arrogant is because i personally witnessed Bob bring a 6 year old to tears because he wouldn't sign this kids football or take a picture with him and no, Bob didn't have somewhere to go or was talking to a reporter or anything....man you need to chill out dude, i root for OU too ya know.....peace, love, and all that other crap.....

CatfishSooner
1/10/2006, 01:37 PM
Bob no arrogant...you arrogant...

picasso
1/10/2006, 01:38 PM
Bob wouldn't hang an OU painting in his office that I offered to loan to him either. But his secretary did call me and thank me anyway.

he's evil man, I tell ya.

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 01:43 PM
he's not evil, but c'mon, a kid? turn me down or one of us on this board and it's no big deal to me or any of you, but to a six year old kid, that's totally different....apprently most of you either don't have kids or think it's funny to see one of their idols break their heart....

Widescreen
1/10/2006, 01:45 PM
That play epitomizes our whole team this year. We could've put some teams away earlier in games if we'd maintained focus. It seems like we would get a big lead and then relax allowing the other team to come back. Then when pressed, we'd go score a TD to finish them off like we flipped on a switch. Hopefully those lessons will pay dividends next year.

CatfishSooner
1/10/2006, 01:46 PM
;) It's only a little funny...

Who knows what kind of day he was havin' prior to that incident...

critical_phil
1/10/2006, 01:47 PM
in other news of people who are full of themselves:

liz hurley won't go out with me..

Collier11
1/10/2006, 01:48 PM

Seems to me that if you look at alot of the best coaches...Bowden, Carroll, Stoops, etc. they seem a little arrogant. ITs not because of the type of person they are, its just that this is their job and they expect to be good at it all the time.

picasso
1/10/2006, 01:50 PM
Seems to me that if you look at alot of the best coaches...Bowden, Carroll, Stoops, etc. they seem a little arrogant. ITs not because of the type of person they are, its just that this is their job and they expect to be good at it all the time.
you forgot the Lester.

Collier11
1/10/2006, 01:53 PM
We was "etc." and im sure there are many more

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 01:54 PM

Thank You So Much...This is what I've been trying to say. I highly doubt that Bob is actually arrogant, but his job correlates that kind of demeanor sometimes....It seems that some people on this board are a little sensitive today...that time of the month I guess???

OklahomaTrombone
1/10/2006, 01:56 PM
I killed a six year old in Reno, just to watch him die

Taxman71
1/10/2006, 01:57 PM
I think anyone who is one TV, radio, print media, etc. on a daily basis and has slack-jawed yokels stalking them every time they leave their house will appear "arrogant" on occassion and have the inevitable "refusal to pose for a pic/sign an autograph" episode every so often. I doubt there is a successful head coach or movie/tv star who hasn't had these stories said about them. That doesn't automatically make them Barry Bonds.

If you have ever had the misfortune of being at Norman's Red Lobster during one of Stoops' radio shows with BBS you could understand Bob's life. I would say at least 7 of every 10 autographs Bob gives (fyi - during the entire radio show while he is trying to answer questions and scarf down some dinner) are for lowlifes with a sack of 10 items who are only there to get Ebay merchandise. They keep getting back in line after they run out to their car for more stuff to get signed. In my limited experience, Bob usually goes out of his way for kids, but rude adults will draw his ire.

MamaMia
1/10/2006, 01:58 PM
The very split second I saw Rhett spike that ball, I knew instantly that Bob would be angry. It puzzles me as to why Rhett would not have known that as well.

Collier11
1/10/2006, 01:59 PM
When you are making millions of dollars to coach footbal, (i.e most of the big time college coaches) you better be strong and confident in what you do. I dont think iver ever heard stoops or carroll go out and demean someone or act like he is better than someone, except for when jack azz miles said that "there are two teams here today, one is the best team in the nation and one is pretty good" and we proceeded to beat them 52-9 and coach stoops said "I dont need anyone to tell me how good my team is" that is the only time that I can remember him going after somebody, from what ive heard he is actually a really good guy

Collier11
1/10/2006, 02:01 PM
The very split second I saw Rhett spike that ball, I knew instantly that Bob would be angry. It puzzles me as to why Rhett would not have known that as well.

I think as soon as he did it Rhett knew, it was the heat of the moment and Rhett got excited, I dont think he was trying to show up Oregon. That being said, Im pretty sure Rhett is done with his showing off

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 02:07 PM
I think as soon as he did it Rhett knew, it was the heat of the moment and Rhett got excited, I dont think he was trying to show up Oregon. That being said, Im pretty sure Rhett is done with his showing off

I hope so...

westcoast_sooner
1/10/2006, 02:09 PM
That play epitomizes our whole team this year. We could've put some teams away earlier in games if we'd maintained focus. It seems like we would get a big lead and then relax allowing the other team to come back. Then when pressed, we'd go score a TD to finish them off like we flipped on a switch. Hopefully those lessons will pay dividends next year.

Absolutely right.

We had aTm down by 28 and let them climb back into the game. That was after we knock out their QB McNeal and they put this guy in who runs the option all over us. Needed a drive to put the game away, but like you say, seemed like we just said we were going to do it.

We had nebbish down and needed a nice drive to put them away. Got up early, and then needed a drive in the 4th to extend the lead.

But part of the problem was play calling - where we would get the lead and then try to sit on it, rather than go for more points. We'd get all conservative and wouldn't move the ball. I'm sure some of that was adjustments by the defense, but still should have been more focused and aggressive.

Personally, I like it when we run up the score on opponents.

Sooner47
1/10/2006, 02:13 PM

I doubt seriously that Rhett is the crying type but I'll bet he was dam*ned mad at himself over his stupid move. However, it does sound like you are close tears over Bob Stoops being a meany. Relax, there have been lots of excellent football coaches who are not quite as sweet as you would like. And, if you have really observed Bob's demeanor, you would have also know that he is the first to congratulate a kid when he does a good job. Most people who are comfortable with their abilities do not mind getting chewed out when they make a mistake as long as they get a pat on the back when they do good.

XingTheRubicon
1/10/2006, 02:14 PM
I love Bob as a coach, but I have heard on a few seperate occasions that he had the "do you know who I am?" arrogant *** thing working. I met Bob personally two times. One at a luncheon where he was not bad, seemed pretty comfortable....and once at fan day 2002, I believe, the year he had a soft cast on his wrist. Anyway, I brought an authentic Schutt OU helmet for Bob to sign. Well, I didn't say a word, just laid the helmet on the table and he just kind of sighed, then signed the helmet. Then looked at me with that disgusted "you're going to ebay to sell this, aren't you" look on his face.

Now this wouldn't bother me, except I have also met the King. I couldn't praise Barry enough for what I've heard from people and my own personal experiences meeting him.

OhU1
1/10/2006, 02:14 PM
Over on Hornfans they claim Bob hates puppies.

proud gonzo
1/10/2006, 02:17 PM
barry switzer called me on the phone last month :D

RooseveltRoughRider
1/10/2006, 02:19 PM
It's hard not to be "somewhat" arrogant given Bob's success. But on a personal note...I am willing to bet the farm that Rhett Bomar is more arrogant than Stoops.

Collier11
1/10/2006, 02:19 PM
I love Bob as a coach, but I have heard on a few seperate occasions that he had the "do you know who I am?" arrogant *** thing working. I met Bob personally two times. One at a luncheon where he was not bad, seemed pretty comfortable....and once at fan day 2002, I believe, the year he had a soft cast on his wrist. Anyway, I brought an authentic Schutt OU helmet for Bob to sign. Well, I didn't say a word, just laid the helmet on the table and he just kind of sighed, then signed the helmet. Then looked at me with that disgusted "you're going to ebay to sell this, aren't you" look on his face.

Now this wouldn't bother me, except I have also met the King. I couldn't praise Barry enough for what I've heard from people and my own personal experiences meeting him.

Two things: Bob is a huge family guy and I would assume that if he isnt practicing, game-planning, or coaching that he probably wants to be with his fam and not doing other things, and he also has to sign a million autographs a year so I doubt he will be excited about every single one unless its a little kid. Second, Barry still is doing his best to repair his image around here, I honestly think that comes into play as to always smiling and outgoing, I realize he is a charismatic guy anyways but im sure that has something to do with it

p.s if you ever want to buy barry a drink, he drinks grey goose and grapefruit. Ive bartended for him twice, he drinks "several" of those!!

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 02:28 PM
I doubt seriously that Rhett is the crying type but I'll bet he was dam*ned mad at himself over his stupid move. However, it does sound like you are close tears over Bob Stoops being a meany. Relax, there have been lots of excellent football coaches who are not quite as sweet as you would like. And, if you have really observed Bob's demeanor, you would have also know that he is the first to congratulate a kid when he does a good job. Most people who are comfortable with their abilities do not mind getting chewed out when they make a mistake as long as they get a pat on the back when they do good.

Well, maybe if I was closer to your age, you must be a pre-teeny bopper, I might shed a tear. read the post under yours and you'll get an idea about what I mean. I have been collecting autographs from OU players and past greats for almost 20 years to put into my OU Room at my house.

That being said, if you have followed OU football IN norman, you will hae noticed a major swing in the attitude of the FB department over the past 10 years. Before Stoops, things were really relaxed at OU. You didn't have coaches asking you if you were going to sell their autograph. I would ask you to go to a home game next year and approach one of our "higher-end" players after the game and ask them for thei autograph. You will hear the old Your not selling this line from every one of them.

Not that I expect theses guys to stand in line and sign our stuff at will, but I think the coaches and players get the idea that because there are some disgruntled OU fans over not winning the Sugar and Orange Bowls and having a down year this year, that means that the people seeking an autograph from them are just going to go straight home and sell it. There are those kinds of fans, scavengers, and there are others that truely care about OU...

Getem
1/10/2006, 02:34 PM
Actually, I think Bomar made a face at Stoops while he was getting yelled at from the sideline. I can make a little vid when I get home. That would explain the enhanced chewing he got later.

Luthor
1/10/2006, 02:37 PM
I think a skulldragging was in order. Discipline is a must on good football teams. It keeps people's ego's in check and forces them to focus on their priorities. Bob will never let Norman turn into a Talahassee or Coral Gables. OR Blacksburg now..lol

Damn rights. I say rip his face off and beat him with it. That's what my dear old dad used to threaten me with. I loved that old man.

frankensooner
1/10/2006, 02:39 PM
One time I waved at Jack Bowen and he didn't wave back, the arrogant jerk! ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/10/2006, 02:40 PM
Let's face it though in all honesty. How many times have you seen a guy take a knee at the end of the game get up run around and be all excited and yes even throwing the ball. This was just one of those times where the ref needs to tell him to calm down and let it go. I have never seen a penalty on the last play of the game for celebrating before. Stoops was ****ed and rightly so, Bomar should know by now if it is in the rulebook, they will call it on OU.

XingTheRubicon
1/10/2006, 02:52 PM
Two things: Bob is a Bob guy and I would assume that if he isnt practicing, game-planning, or coaching that he probably wants to be with his fam and not doing other things, and he also has to sign a million autographs a year so I doubt he will be excited about every single one unless its a little kid (just not 6 year olds). Second, Barry still is doing his best to repair his image around here, I honestly think that comes into play as to always smiling and outgoing, I realize he is a charismatic guy anyways but im sure that has something to do with it

p.s if you ever want to buy barry a drink, he drinks grey goose and grapefruit. Ive bartended for him twice, he drinks "several" of those!!

fixed

I didn't expect Bob to hold hands and sing Boomer Sooner with me, but for 2.5 million a year, he could do better than a go straight to hell look.

You know like Kelvin Sampson, Switz, and so on... it's not that hard.

FirstandGoal
1/10/2006, 02:56 PM
I happen to beleive that Bob's demeanor is exactly what is needed for these young men. Everybody tends to forget that these are mostly 18-20 year old kids whose biggest challenge a couple of years ago was getting their drivers licenses. We all know how much of a hard*** brother Mike was. Is it any surprise to anybody that we've had a bit of a "letdown" since he left? I want our boys to be scared spitless of the coach.

And I guarantee Rhett got a better lesson in "growing up" after the game, that he did during it.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/10/2006, 03:04 PM
Let's face it though in all honesty. How many times have you seen a guy take a knee at the end of the game get up run around and be all excited and yes even throwing the ball. This was just one of those times where the ref needs to tell him to calm down and let it go. I have never seen a penalty on the last play of the game for celebrating before. Stoops was ****ed and rightly so, Bomar should know by now if it is in the rulebook, they will call it on OU.Kudos from a "referee sensitive" fan. It might not even have to be in the rules book to get called against us. I know we don't have to commit the infraction to get it called.:texan:

C&CDean
1/10/2006, 03:07 PM
fixed

I didn't expect Bob to hold hands and sing Boomer Sooner with me, but for 2.5 million a year, he could do better than a go straight to hell look.

You know like Kelvin Sampson, Switz, and so on... it's not that hard.

It's because he knows you're a left-wing whack job. DOH. I'd be making faces at you too.

And this thread is really, REALLY stupid. We have people on here, who've actually met - nay - actually said a couple words - once - nay - even twice with the guy and feel qualified to make a character judgment.

How about taking a big ol' swig of STFU? I've been around Bob Stoops and Co. many, many times. For extended periods of time. Bob is a decent man. Driven, consumed, and sometimes in a hurry, but a very decent man. I've seen him go out of his way on many, many occasions to sign an autograph, visit a sick kid, shake a hand, or take a picture with somebody.

Stoops cannot be all things to all people. He's a busy guy. If you think he is an "arrogant guy" because he didn't sign a specific autograph, you just don't have a clue about the guy.

CatfishSooner
1/10/2006, 03:09 PM
I was LMAO when Stoops was reeming Bomar...he deserved it...that was one of the stupidest things I saw all year...

CatfishSooner
1/10/2006, 03:10 PM
It's because he knows you're a left-wing whack job. DOH. I'd be making faces at you too.

And this thread is really, REALLY stupid. We have people on here, who've actually met - nay - actually said a couple words - once - nay - even twice with the guy and feel qualified to make a character judgment.

How about taking a big ol' swig of STFU? I've been around Bob Stoops and Co. many, many times. For extended periods of time. Bob is a decent man. Driven, consumed, and sometimes in a hurry, but a very decent man. I've seen him go out of his way on many, many occasions to sign an autograph, visit a sick kid, shake a hand, or take a picture with somebody.

Stoops cannot be all things to all people. He's a busy guy. If you think he is an "arrogant guy" because he didn't sign a specific autograph, you just don't have a clue about the guy.

amen...

SouthFortySooner
1/10/2006, 03:10 PM
So. Most all of you think the Venebles, T Rex., (teeth and neck veins poppin) look, pushes the team to respond in a positive way.

Again, this is just for discussion sake, please, I am not taking a hard line one way or the other.

I'll admit I think they are walkin a fine line sometimes with these kids.

OUthunder
1/10/2006, 03:14 PM
He was to easy on him IMO. I would have choked the **** out of him personally!

C&CDean
1/10/2006, 03:16 PM
So. Most all of you think the Venebles, T Rex., (teeth and neck veins poppin) look, pushes the team to respond in a positive way.

Again, this is just for discussion sake, please, I am not taking a hard line one way or the other.

I'll admit I think they are walkin a fine line sometimes with these kids.

Have you ever been up close when Bobby Jack Wright was coaching the defensive ends? The first time I was I thought "you know, if that was my kid he was calling a "dumb, worthless POS sumbitch who didn't have a clue" I'd smack him in his face. But then I thought "you know what? That's exactly what that dumb, worthless POS sumbitch needed." That kid ended up being Dan Cody.

It's football, not ballroom dancing.

Widescreen
1/10/2006, 03:16 PM
barry switzer called me on the phone last month :D
I think I'll tell him I'm writing a piece on our cheerleaders and ask him for his thoughts.

Aren't you expected back in the South Oval? :mad:

;)

Big Red Ron
1/10/2006, 04:04 PM
I love Bob Stoops!Me too, your avatar...not so much. BTW, WTF is that a picture of exactly.

oumartin
1/10/2006, 04:38 PM
my gosh BRR i am so hurt. i'll change it just for you

Taxman71
1/10/2006, 05:16 PM
My pants are tight!

OU_Sooners75
1/10/2006, 05:22 PM
He was to easy on him IMO. I would have choked the **** out of him personally!

Then i bet he would have kicked you in the balls. That 6 year old was probably the mean one...not bob.
:eek: :)

goingoneight
1/10/2006, 05:42 PM
Okay people, Bob didn't threaten Rhett's life or anything... It's just that a simple celebration could very well have cost them the win in the Holiday Bowl... How would you feel as fans to see us have the lead, then some kid spikes the ball and it costs great guys like Dvoracek and Jones a senior-year Bowl Game Victory... Rhett was right on the goal line, and if he was to fumble or something, UO could have recovered and won. I would be ****ed, the seniors would be ****ed, Bob was ****ed-- Rhett now knows to watch the clock, or at least be a little more careful next time.

Personally, I don't see why we get called for it, but Reggie Bush and VY could throw the ball, spike it, or dive into a wide-open endzone without penalty. I'm not saying the world's against us, it just seems as though another last minute BS-fest by the refs happened... someone wanted the ducks win seemingly... it's just too obvious. except we had the ball, and we won in the end.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/10/2006, 05:47 PM
Reggie Bush and VY could throw the ball, spike it, or dive into a wide-open endzone without penalty.

I can totally testify to this--I don't know how many game highlights I saw all year of Reggie diving into the end zone. And didn't one of our players get flagged for the exact same thing (although he was actually in danger of being tackled) early on in the season? (I have CRS so I can't remember who or what game.)

Sooner47
1/10/2006, 05:50 PM
Well, maybe if I was closer to your age, you must be a pre-teeny bopper, I might shed a tear. read the post under yours and you'll get an idea about what I mean. I have been collecting autographs from OU players and past greats for almost 20 years to put into my OU Room at my house.

That being said, if you have followed OU football IN norman, you will hae noticed a major swing in the attitude of the FB department over the past 10 years. Before Stoops, things were really relaxed at OU. You didn't have coaches asking you if you were going to sell their autograph. I would ask you to go to a home game next year and approach one of our "higher-end" players after the game and ask them for thei autograph. You will hear the old Your not selling this line from every one of them.

Not that I expect theses guys to stand in line and sign our stuff at will, but I think the coaches and players get the idea that because there are some disgruntled OU fans over not winning the Sugar and Orange Bowls and having a down year this year, that means that the people seeking an autograph from them are just going to go straight home and sell it. There are those kinds of fans, scavengers, and there are others that truely care about OU...

You, sir, are a genuine fool. So you think I'm a "pre-teeny bopper." I can't stop laughing. If you'd like to take a second and read my profile, you'll find that I'm probably old enough to be your daddy, although I'd never claim such an idiot as a son. I started attending OU games 50 years ago with my parents and have followed the program through thick and thin since the first game I attended. The fact that I no longer live in Oklahoma does not make me any less of a Sooner fan than you or anybody else.

I've seen really great times and great coaches at OU and I've seen the bad times and the lousy coaches and Bob Stoops is near the top of the great coaches list. Coaching at a successful, major D1 football powerhouse like OU is a pressure-cooker job and I think I'll give him a pass if he occasionally blows off an autograph request or gives somebody a "go-to-hell" look. You're free to think differently but don't expect many around him to be very sympathetic with your position.

C&CDean
1/10/2006, 05:56 PM

Rise above it. And follow the rules.

Showman,

10 years ago our football department was in the crapper. When you went in the offices, everybody was wearing Miami, FSU, and Duke gear. Nobody gave a **** about the program. Nobody even wanted autographs so hell yes they were happy to sign them.

I'll take an intense Bob Stoops playing for championships any day over a laidback coach who sucks.

westcoast_sooner
1/10/2006, 05:59 PM
Even the preacher at the local church with a congregation of 150 will get invitations to dinner and all sorts of other things that keep them busy, if not interfere with what most of us think of as a normal family life.

Imagine multiplying that to the level of a a nationally prominent D-1 football coach, where people are asking you for an autograph when you are at dinner with your family, or friends. I've been fortunate enough to see a few famous people close up, and try to be respectful of their privacy. If Bob Stoops gets annoyed by the interruptions sometimes, I think it's totally understandable. Maybe some other time he'll be more than happy to sign an autograph or take a picture.

And if he tears RB a new one when he screw up, that's a good thing. He's also there to give him a pat on the back when he throws a TD as well. And that's one of the things that makes him well respected by his peers and a good football coach, IMO.

German Corner
1/10/2006, 06:03 PM
I agree he had to correct Rhett but not a chewin' like he gave in front of the team and cameras.

I think with all the officiating crap the team went through this season including the bowl, I think he was not showing off but just ventalating.

I liked it. I know it was definately not smart but it seemed like we all slammed that ball down as to say "WE WON THIS GAME IN SPITE OF THE GOTDANG REFEREES, ODDS MAKERS AND ABC ANNOUNCERS!"

I like Rhett's demeaner and fire, you've got to have it! Josh Hypel working with him will help tremendously so we are so well positioned for next year's season.

Go Sooners!

oumartin
1/10/2006, 06:03 PM
man I can't wait until we run Bob off and get someone in here that will treat these kids with dignity. One that never gets cross or upset. I miss those days of 3 win seasons.

Sooner47
1/10/2006, 06:05 PM

Rise above it. And follow the rules.

Showman,

10 years ago our football department was in the crapper. When you went in the offices, everybody was wearing Miami, FSU, and Duke gear. Nobody gave a **** about the program. Nobody even wanted autographs so hell yes they were happy to sign them.

I'll take an intense Bob Stoops playing for championships any day over a laidback coach who sucks.

Sorry, Dean. Some folks make it difficult. Those of us who suffered through the 90s don't have much patience for any whining about Bob Stoops.

fossil
1/10/2006, 06:36 PM
Did I strike a chord? I am just going off of several of my close friends and my own accounts of meetings with Bob away from the media and "important" people...maybe he isn't so much arrogant as he is more of a family man or something, i don't know the word i'm looking for here....jeez, take a pill man
:hmfic: Stoops is not arrogant, just all business. If you don't know what you mean to say, consider engaging your brain before your mouth starts, huh?

Stitch Face
1/10/2006, 07:17 PM
you will hae noticed a major swing in the attitude of the FB department over the past 10 years. Before Stoops, things were really relaxed at OU.

Now that you mention it, things were really relaxed then!

It was called sucking.

OU_Sooners75
1/10/2006, 07:58 PM
Sorry, Dean. Some folks make it difficult. Those of us who suffered through the 90s don't have much patience for any whining about Bob Stoops.

Thank you. spek...even though i dont have a lot to give...but ill give it none the less. :cool:

XingTheRubicon
1/10/2006, 09:33 PM

I'd bet anything you have no more idea than I do as to Bob's actual people skills.

Do you know Mike Stoops personal assistant? The blonde headed young guy.

I spoke with him for about an hour about all things OU football. He was at Russells with Mike right before Mike got engaged ('01?) I won't get in to what he said, but it wasn't flattering about Bob's feeling toward "fans."

I have NEVER heard one account of Switzer or Kelvin being openly rude to the general public or a fan. Not one. Doesn't mean it's never happened but it is what it is. If I counted them, I'd say I've heard 8 different instances where Bob ****ed someone off. A couple were waitresses in Norman and so on...Go to Othellos and ask them about Switz and Stoops and then listen real close to their answer.

Now, does this mean I don't like Stoops? No way. I think he's a great coach and we're lucky to have him. But as far as a relationship with his community and fans, he is a distant 3rd to Barry and Kelvin. Care to argue that?

JLB
1/10/2006, 09:35 PM
If you cant take an *** chewing,you have no business on the football field.It's not a place for the faint of heart.
And why in the hell does a grown man need an autograph for.Leave that for the kids.

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 09:36 PM
I'd bet anything you have no more idea than I do as to Bob's actual people skills.

I spoke with him for about an hour about all things OU football. He was at Russells with Mike right before Mike got engaged ('01?) I won't get in to what he said, but it wasn't flattering about Bob's feeling toward "fans."

I have NEVER heard one account of Switzer or Kelvin being openly rude to the general public or a fan. Not one. Doesn't mean it's never happened but it is what it is. If I counted them, I'd say I've heard 8 different instances where Bob ****ed someone off. A couple were waitresses in Norman and so on...Go to Othellos and ask them about Switz and Stoops and then listen real close to their answer.

Now, does this mean I don't like Stoops? No way. I think he's a great coach and we're lucky to have him. But as far as a relationship with his community and fans, he is a distant 3rd to Barry and Kelvin. Care to argue that?

Watch yourself, I was crucified, broken on the rack, neg spekked, hanged, drug, and decapitated for making this kind of comment about Bob earlier....I happen to think he's a great coach and has turned the program around int he right direction.....good luck

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 09:38 PM
If you cant take an *** chewing,you have no business on the football field.It's not a place for the faint of heart.
And why in the hell does a grown man need an autograph for.Leave that for the kids.

Just a hobby.....is there something wrong with having a hobby connected to the one thing you love below God, your wife and children?? Sorry for getting an autograph.....I'll reform:rolleyes:

XingTheRubicon
1/10/2006, 09:39 PM

I needed an autograph for my $350 authentic Schutt OU helmet that sits in my office.

AZfanIII
1/10/2006, 09:48 PM
regardless of whether or not he pandors to fans Bomar deserved the *** chewing he got. He'll never do it again and it was a needed lesson. If you can't take a chewing then don't join the military or play football. Stay at home and play dolls with your other gf's.

Cam
1/10/2006, 09:55 PM
I have often wondered if the majority of this group agrees with him? A slight example in question would be his treatment of Rhett on the sideline after the celebritory spike. Would he have not been as set had he just laughed and told him to go back in and spike it again?

I know its hard to argue with his results.
Bob's response to the reporter after the game was: "That's not what we're about here.".

I've got no problem with that.

Widescreen
1/10/2006, 09:57 PM
I sure wish we had Blubber McHuggy back. Good times.

JLB
1/10/2006, 09:58 PM
I needed an autograph for my $350 authentic Schutt OU helmet that sits in my office.
Thats a good reason.Now that I think about it,I want one.

TUSooner
1/10/2006, 10:37 PM
Let me put it this way: I'd rather have Dean ****ed off at me than Stoops PO'd at me.
And I really wouldn't like Dean PO'd at me either. :norm:

FaninAma
1/10/2006, 11:14 PM
idiotic? the only reason i said he was arrogant is because i personally witnessed Bob bring a 6 year old to tears because he wouldn't sign this kids football or take a picture with him and no, Bob didn't have somewhere to go or was talking to a reporter or anything....man you need to chill out dude, i root for OU too ya know.....peace, love, and all that other crap.....

I've had the opposite experience. In 2003 as the team was leaving the postal training center on Friday night Bob saw our group watching the players file by and he came by and shook our hands and was very friendly. It thrilled my 10 and 12 year old daughters and my 2 year old son.

How do you know Bob didn't have anything to do? What were the circumstances of the encounter? Was he rude or did he just not stop as he walked by? I've found it a good rule not to impose on people, even those in the public eye, except at events designated to meet the team and get autographs signed.

Some people just seem to need the validation of getting attention or a response from someone in Stoops' position. Crap it must get old having everybody and their dog expecting you to stop and shake their hands just because you walk by.

AZfanIII
1/10/2006, 11:24 PM
Perhaps he just witnessed the kid spike the football in premature celebration.

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 11:25 PM
How do you know Bob didn't have anything to do? What were the circumstances of the encounter? Was he rude or did he just not stop as he walked by? I've found it a good rule not to impose on people, even those in the public eye, except at events designated to meet the team and get autographs signed.

I was standing by this guy talking to him after an OU practice. There was literally no one there except for me this random guy and his son from Norman, and my buddy. I was wanting to get AD to sign my SI and thank God he did or this little kid would have been totally torn up...

Anyway, we were standing there looking at the lettermen years and players outside the switzer center and Bob came out talking to Jackie Schipp. We didn't see him until it was almost too late, but when Bob got through talking to Jackie, he started for his car and this kid had been sitting back waiting for him to finish. Not being pushy or anything.

Stoops just kinda looked at him and told him he didn't have time to sign his ball. His dad asked for a picture and Stoops said maybe later in a real condescending tone.

Now, nobody go and start neg speking me for this, this is just what happened.

I have met Stoops several other times and he has been really nice. Do not get me wrong, he is a great caoch and I would rather have him than any other coach out there. I am JUST reporting what I witnessed....so sorry if it offends some of you, it's just what I saw, nothing else...

BTW, we calmed the boy down and his dad told me they would go to media day and get Stoops to autograph his ball there. Happy ending I guess, never saw them again....

AZfanIII
1/10/2006, 11:45 PM
Well, if that did happen then he's a 2.6 milion dollar a year dickhead. But that's beside the point, I'd probably be a dickhead to if I had people bothering me all the time. Although, probably not to kids as in this situation. I'm afraid my plans would have to wait 3 seconds so I could sign a childs football.

BASSooner
1/11/2006, 12:57 AM
Alright why are we talking about Bob's demeanor? He's a coach for God's sake. A damn fine one too. ALL coach's have to have that arrogant side(I guess you cold call it that) to them. I mean it's normal. EVERY single coach has it. It's good to have that kind of sense in his personality. It helps him on the field just like it does with every other coach. Spurrier, Snyder, Fran, Brown..ALL dicks. Most of the coaches are so it's a normal. Their are coaches, however, that have that as their main personality or have a nice side most of the time. Thankfully Stoops is nice.

OUTromBoNado
1/11/2006, 01:15 AM
Up :)

Homey

Collier11
1/11/2006, 04:45 AM
I was standing by this guy talking to him after an OU practice. There was literally no one there except for me this random guy and his son from Norman, and my buddy. I was wanting to get AD to sign my SI and thank God he did or this little kid would have been totally torn up...

Anyway, we were standing there looking at the lettermen years and players outside the switzer center and Bob came out talking to Jackie Schipp. We didn't see him until it was almost too late, but when Bob got through talking to Jackie, he started for his car and this kid had been sitting back waiting for him to finish. Not being pushy or anything.

Stoops just kinda looked at him and told him he didn't have time to sign his ball. His dad asked for a picture and Stoops said maybe later in a real condescending tone.

Now, nobody go and start neg speking me for this, this is just what happened.

I have met Stoops several other times and he has been really nice. Do not get me wrong, he is a great caoch and I would rather have him than any other coach out there. I am JUST reporting what I witnessed....so sorry if it offends some of you, it's just what I saw, nothing else...

BTW, we calmed the boy down and his dad told me they would go to media day and get Stoops to autograph his ball there. Happy ending I guess, never saw them again....

There is a rule in place that coaches nor players are to sign autographs anywhere on campus, Im not sure if you knew this...if you did get AD's autograph then you are lucky. They put this rule into effect because they would never make it to class or practice otherwise, so get off his back. ITs not Stoops' or any of the players obligation to sign autographs, their only obligation is to do well in class and play well on the field so quit whining all you who think Stoops is a jerk

Taxman71
1/11/2006, 09:54 AM
Once at band camp, I let Bob Stoops turn ahead of me in traffic and he did not give me the obligatory "wave" showing his gratitude. He is, therefore, dead to me.

Big Red Ron
1/11/2006, 10:39 AM
my gosh BRR i am so hurt. i'll change it just for youThat wasn't my intention man. I was just currious about what the picture was. Loke the new one though! ;)

C&CDean
1/11/2006, 11:53 AM

Dude, comparing present-day Stoops to The King and Kelvin is just plain dumb.

Stoops is in the middle of coaching one of the most elite programs on the planet. He's dealing with losing the last 2 NC games. He's dealing with fat-asses who can't hack Schmitty's regimen and leave campus. He's dealing with coaches and coordinators moving on. He's dealing with the rigors of recruiting and the bull**** rules of the NCAA. He's dealing with a big-assed negative microscope placed directly over his head.

What's The King dealing with? A couple restaraunt deals and playing with his grandbabies. Kelvin? Nobody expects his BB team to compete for national championships. As long as he wins 20 games and goes to the NCAAs, everybody is tickled pink. He can punch the clock in Norman as long as he wants to.

I've ate with Barry. I've ate with Bob. Totally different personalities. And when you're taking some bimbettes opinion down at Othello's as "fact" you're really stretching it. I've seen Barry in there a hundred times. Loose as a goose. A Grey Goose. Hell yes he's having fun. No worries. No stress.

Now if you said "gee, I sure wish Stoops would not let the stresses of his job affect him so much" then I'd say "I agree." Comparing him to Switzer/Sampson is pomegranites and turds.

XingTheRubicon
1/11/2006, 11:58 AM
My bad,............... Stoopsisperfect.com.

C&CDean
1/11/2006, 12:00 PM
Typical lib response. "When I'm wrong, I jump off a cliff....."

Whatever. Are you a chick?

OUthunder
1/11/2006, 12:02 PM
Aren't people (Coach Stoops included) allowed to have a bad/off day anymore?

Geez.

TMcGee86
1/11/2006, 12:08 PM
I seriously would have throat punched Rhett.

But, then, that's how I roll.

It's been said I resort to the throat punch too much.

But the people that said that got throatpunched, and they don't say things like that anymore.

picasso
1/11/2006, 12:16 PM
Bob ran over my cat Liberace. and I'm pretty sure he did it on purpose.

SkipTracer
1/11/2006, 12:36 PM
Bob just can't take a joke like some people.
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/8514/lesterlee3vz.jpg

GDC
1/11/2006, 12:38 PM
I loved it when Stoops showed very clearly how little he thought of those ridiculous 30 second interviews at the beginning and end of halftime of televised games.

XingTheRubicon
1/11/2006, 12:45 PM
Typical lib response. "When I'm wrong, I jump off a cliff....."

Whatever. Are you a chick?

Actually, you're wrong and I don't have the time nor the inclination to help you.

BTW, you started with the STFU nonsense after you realized you were wrong in the first place.....and as far as being a chick, let's just put this as nice as possible....I don't look like you.

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2006, 12:49 PM
For every story that XTR has about Bob not being nice there are at least 2 showing how nice of a guy he is.

XingTheRubicon
1/11/2006, 12:56 PM
For every story that XTR has about Bob not being nice there are at least 2 showing how nice of a guy he is.

For $200,000/mo he could be a little better at PR is all I'm saying.

I know at Stoopsisperfect.com, gawd forbid someone says one tiny thing about the man that isn't I want to lick his ****.

The rest of you, enjoy your licking.

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2006, 12:57 PM
you sure do get your feelings hurt easily.

XingTheRubicon
1/11/2006, 01:03 PM
you sure do get your feelings hurt easily.

You mean like neg spekking because of a Jim Thorpe award joke, with ***hole in the comments. Then when I embarrassed you with revealing your ignorance of the subject of the thread, you got your feelings hurt?

You mean like that?

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2006, 01:07 PM
I honestly have no idea as to what you are talking about.
*edit* I found it

[Quote:
Originally Posted by XingTheRubicon
I thought Derek Strait won that award named after that Indian guy

I negged you for this but forgot to sign it. I negged you for not knowing who Jim Thorpe is.

Do you know what kind of Indian Jim Thorpe was?

Without looking it up?

I know the award given to the best D-back, I was just poorly attempting humor.

I won't neg you back, you're probably still confused.

First time to see your response. Boy you sure did get me there. I have no idea what tribe he was a member of. I sure am embarrassed ;)

Did I touch a nerve? If so, I apologize.

I do remember negging you and saying something to the effect of 'You should stick to tax law because you suck at forming a logical argument.'

Moving on

JohnnyMack
1/11/2006, 01:19 PM

Waa. Boo ****ing hoo. Bob wasn't as nice to me as he should have been.

I saw Bob and Kelvin at the Sooner Caravan here in Tulsey a few years back. Stoops was effing swamped, I mean elbows to *******s with people wanting autographs and pictures. Kelvin not so much, he was milling about, stopped and talked with me for a minute even. Who do you think was more laid back?

Barry the drunk is laid back? Really? Shocking. I wonder why?

Stoops is more high strung? Really? I wonder who's got more **** to deal with?

BajaOklahoma
1/11/2006, 01:23 PM
For $200,000/mo he could be a little better at PR is all I'm saying.

I'm probably going to get killed for this - and I am not throwing stones because I am not perfect - this is the one area that I honestly can say Bob could use some help. His image, right or wrong, is not as good as it could be.
He is a handsome guy (I'm a chick so it is okay to say it) with an okay wife (I'm a chick and I have no opinion beyond that).
He has a cute family.
He is a smart guy with a great job. And he is doing a great job.
He places a strong emphasis on family values and the importance of family - an awesome thing.
He supports charities.
He understands our tradition and the importance of tradition. He has welcomed back our beloved players and coaches.

As for the autograph with the kid - there is more to the story than we know (isn't there always?). Maybe he was late picking one of his kids or something similar. A better response would have been "I'm late for a family thing. Come by tomorrow at such and such time - I'll sign it and make sure you get a tour of the Switzer Center." Signing an autograph in a situation like that could easily have taken 5-10 minutes that he didn't have, but the response might have won him idol status.
He doesn't have the glibness with people that we like in the coach part of him (no BS), not as much in the people part. And I know the guy has to be sick of people always wanting something from him - do this, give me that. That would get old quick.
I don't think it would take that much, just a tweak here or there. The good guy is already there, so rest is just dressing.

The Consumate Showman
1/11/2006, 01:23 PM

Hey, easy on The King man.....:)

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2006, 01:24 PM
I'm just glad Vince Lombardi didn't coach in this day and age.

The Consumate Showman
1/11/2006, 01:26 PM
I'm probably going to get killed for this - and I am not throwing stones because I am not perfect - this is the one area that I honestly can say Bob could use some help. His image, right or wrong, is not as good as it could be.
He is a handsome guy (I'm a chick so it is okay to say it) with an okay wife (I'm a chick and I have no opinion beyond that).
He has a cute family.
He is a smart guy with a great job. And he is doing a great job.
He places a strong emphasis on family values and the importance of family - an awesome thing.
He supports charities.
He understands our tradition and the importance of tradition. He has welcomed back our beloved players and coaches.

As for the autograph with the kid - there is more to the story than we know (isn't there always?). Maybe he was late picking one of his kids or something similar. A better response would have been "I'm late for a family thing. Come by tomorrow at such and such time - I'll sign it and make sure you get a tour of the Switzer Center." Signing an autograph in a situation like that could easily have taken 5-10 seconds that he didn't have, but the response might have won him idol status.
He doesn't have the glibness with people that we like in the coach part of him (no BS), not as much in the people part. And I know the guy has to be sick of people always wanting something from him - do this, give me that. That would get old quick.
I don't think it would take that much, just a tweak here or there. The good guy is already there, so rest is just dressing.

fixed :)

The Consumate Showman
1/11/2006, 01:26 PM

soonerboy_odanorth
1/11/2006, 01:50 PM
Maybe threads like this wouldn't take a nasty turn for the worse if a lot of people spent a lot less time teaching their kids to be autograph-scrounging, jock-sniffing idolaters.

There is a time, and a place... and usually they are designated as "fan appreciation days" or "autograph sessions" or "memorabilia signings".

Dean says 70-30% Stoops doesn't have that reaction if the kid seeking the autograph isn't accompanied by "adults."

Sooner Born & Sooner Bred
1/11/2006, 02:16 PM
Maybe threads like this wouldn't take a nasty turn for the worse if a lot of people spent a lot less time teaching their kids to be autograph-scrounging, jock-sniffing idolaters.

There is a time, and a place... and usually they are designated as "fan appreciation days" or "autograph sessions" or "memorabilia signings".

Dean says 70-30% Stoops doesn't have that reaction if the kid seeking the autograph isn't accompanied by "adults."

I totally agree here! I mean if it isn't an autograph session, LEAVE the guys alone! I could just imagine how old it gets being bothered all the time... JMO!

BajaOklahoma
1/11/2006, 02:16 PM
TCS, haven't been around very many autograph signings have you? The ones with assistants to help move people along still take a couple of minutes. With no one to help move people on it can linger into several minutes - which Stoops may not have had. People can be very oblivious to signals and body language when they are in the middle of an encounter.
This is the first time that I have heard Stoops criticized for dealing with a kid, so I really think that there is more to it. And the parent probably realized that it was bad timing too.
I still love the man.

C&CDean
1/11/2006, 02:20 PM
It's just X's time of the month. I just wish he'd put the red hat on so everybody else would know.

Crimson_Balls
1/11/2006, 02:47 PM
I don't care if Coach Stoops looks at me funny, makes 6-year olds cry or doesn't sign miniture football helmets as long as he wins football games and competes for national championships.

Winning at the University of Oklahoma is the key to keeping a job...

Not how the public perceives ones PR skills.

NormanPride
1/11/2006, 03:03 PM
I don't care if Coach Stoops looks at me funny, makes 6-year olds cry or doesn't sign miniture football helmets as long as he wins football games and competes for national championships.

Winning at the University of Oklahoma is the key to keeping a job...

Not how the public perceives ones PR skills.

I would put a stipulation on this, though. He can't break the rules, and I don't much care for bending them, really.

Crimson_Balls
1/11/2006, 03:18 PM
I would put a stipulation on this, though. He can't break the rules, and I don't much care for bending them, really.

We are talking about Stoops here not Switzer.

You brought up a valid point. Stoops is a class act and a disciplinarian. He doesn't allow his players to screw up without consequence. He demands his players to perform on and off the field. Those are the qualities I want from a head coach. Someone to guide our young athletes through the program.

OUthunder
1/11/2006, 03:27 PM
You don't have to like the ****ing guy. But he is a proven winner.

I personally think that he's a bit stand offish, but we didn't hire him to be Barney. We hired him to coach football, and so far, he has done a pretty good job.

JohnnyMack
1/11/2006, 03:27 PM
We are talking about Stoops here not Switzer.

You brought up a valid point. Stoops is a class act and a disciplinarian. He doesn't allow his players to screw up without consequence. He demands his players to perform on and off the field. Those are the qualities I want from a head coach. Someone to guide our young athletes through the program.

Bull****, you wouldn't care if he buried kittens up to their necks along the fifty yard line and ran 'em down with a lawn mower if we went undefeated every year. Wait, you're not Dean.

GDC
1/11/2006, 03:46 PM
I love the story about how supposedly when he first came to OU some of Blake's players were whining and crying about losing their personable Christian coach. Stoops responded that he wasn't brought there to run an effing church camp but was brought there to win football games.

FirstandGoal
1/11/2006, 03:53 PM
I love the story about how supposedly when he first came to OU some of Blake's players were whining and crying about losing their personable Christian coach. Stoops responded that he wasn't brought there to run an effing church camp but was brought there to win football games.

Yeah, I remember that also. Looks like that's what happened too.
Thanks for the reminder gdc:)

XingTheRubicon
1/11/2006, 04:05 PM
You don't have to like the ****ing guy. But he is a proven winner.

I personally think that he's a bit stand offish, but we didn't hire him to be Barney. We hired him to coach football, and so far, he has done a pretty good job.

This is exactly how I feel, and I've stated it twice.

Collier11
1/11/2006, 04:08 PM
Hey, easy on The King man.....:)

I did first hand see Switzer put down about 7 or 8 Greygoose and grapefruit drinks, he was slurrin a tiny bit

XingTheRubicon
1/11/2006, 04:22 PM
Waa. Boo ****ing hoo. Bob wasn't as nice to me as he should have been.

I saw Bob and Kelvin at the Sooner Caravan here in Tulsey a few years back. Stoops was effing swamped, I mean elbows to *******s with people wanting autographs and pictures. Kelvin not so much, he was milling about, stopped and talked with me for a minute even. Who do you think was more laid back?

Stoops is more high strung? Really? I wonder who's got more **** to deal with?

I know Stoops has tons of people pulling at him in every direction, I know most of us have felt stretched pretty thin at times, it called having a freaking job.

Now, to clarify, I have never said Hello, or bothered any athlete or coach at restaurant or any other public setting. Stoops was at fan appreciation day and he looked like he wanted to off himself rather than be there. Now did the way he glared at the people in line ahead of me p*** me off? No. Did the way he glared at me like I was stealing from MY university p*** me off. No.

What p***ed me off was the combination of these things, along with a few other stories from different times. AND Mike Stoops' assistant AND Sooner04, both of whom spent more time around the staff and players more than any of us combined....they had great things to say about the coach and incredibly candid things to say about his PR shortcomings.

...but maybe you guys are right from what you've gathered from your TV and SF.com. Good luck with all that.

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2006, 04:31 PM
just because folks on here don't drop names doesn't mean that some of us only get our info from TV and this site. Good luck with name dropping.

XingTheRubicon
1/11/2006, 04:33 PM

This is exactly what I said and it's not slamming the guy, just pointing out an opinion.

Bravo for having the guts to post the truth on Stoopsisperfect.com

FirstandGoal
1/11/2006, 04:36 PM
I did first hand see Switzer put down about 7 or 8 Greygoose and grapefruit drinks, he was slurrin a tiny bit

One of the best things about Switzer, never a boring moment I met him back in 89 or 90 in my college days. He was dating one of my boyfriends sisters and we had dinner together. Really fun evening:cool:

C&CDean
1/11/2006, 04:40 PM
This is exactly what I said and it's not slamming the guy, just pointing out an opinion.

Bravo for having the guts to post the truth on Stoopsisperfect.com

Give it a ****ing rest X. The whole "stoopsisperfect" thingie borders on gaydusness. What you're doing is just like what you do when somebody might say "I support what our president is doing in Iraq."

"Oh, around here everybody says Bush is perfect. What is this, bushisperfect.com?"

It's gay. Quit it.

XingTheRubicon
1/11/2006, 04:46 PM
Uh, I've never used Bush and perfect in the same sentence, nor have I typed anything resembling bushisperfect.com. Ever, and I'll post what I choose to post.

SouthFortySooner
1/11/2006, 04:47 PM
I want to go on record. I get ALL my information from SF.Com.

C&CDean
1/11/2006, 04:51 PM
Uh, I've never used Bush and perfect in the same sentence, nor have I typed anything resembling bushisperfect.com. Ever, and I'll post what I choose to post.

Sigh. Go home, take some mydol, and come back tomorrow. It'll be better. We promise.

XingTheRubicon
1/11/2006, 06:04 PM
Sigh. Go home, take some mydol, and come back tomorrow. It'll be better. We promise.

Perhaps you should heed your own advice, you've referred to me as a queer a half a dozen times....and that's in the last 10 days. Now despite the fact that it's funny, should you really be prescribing midol...

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/11/2006, 06:28 PM
he's not evil, but c'mon, a kid? turn me down or one of us on this board and it's no big deal to me or any of you, but to a six year old kid, that's totally different....apprently most of you either don't have kids or think it's funny to see one of their idols break their heart....Hmm that's funny. He's never had a problem signing stuff for my niece or for the Special Olympics star that sits behind me at the games.

Back to the topic at hand: I love it that he showed so much anger after the ball spike. I also love the smart alecky remarks he makes during press conferences or to reporters. Is he arrogant? Probably. I've often thought that I would loathe this arrogance if I wasn't a Sooner fan. But I am, so I have no problem with it.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/11/2006, 06:32 PM
I love the story about how supposedly when he first came to OU some of Blake's players were whining and crying about losing their personable Christian coach. Stoops responded that he wasn't brought there to run an effing church camp but was brought there to win football games.At the same time, they still hold an optional chapel service.

GDC
1/11/2006, 08:27 PM
At the same time, they still hold an optional chapel service.

By posting that, I meant no disrespect to Christians, the players in question, John Blake, or Bob Stoops, just thought it was relevant to this topic.

C&CDean
1/12/2006, 09:41 AM
Perhaps you should heed your own advice, you've referred to me as a queer a half a dozen times....and that's in the last 10 days. Now despite the fact that it's funny, should you really be prescribing midol...

psssssst. "Being on the rag" does not = calling someone "queer."

And how did you know the correct spelling for "midol?"

No worries X. Big daddy still loves you.

And the team does hold chapel at the hotel. There's even a room dedicated every week for it. And it's usually very well attended.