PDA

View Full Version : Reason for Lack of Success

IronHorseSooner
1/10/2006, 09:47 AM
Sooner Brethren,

What do you think is the reason for such lack of success?

A. Poor guard play
B. Poor guard recruiting
C. Poor offensive gameplanning
D. Distractions from the NCAA investigation

I am starting to think that "D" might be the answer, and it has led to A and C. Not being as privvy to this as others, this is beginning to be my reasoning. It's hard to concentrate on even the little things when this is hanging over your heads. It looks like there's been a lack of good offensive gameplanning due to distractions. Since the game goes through the guards, and therefore the gameplan, "D" can lead to that as well. I don't mind defensive BBALL (or defensive football), as long as it leads to success. It just seems like the team is disinterested. They aren't playing well against mediocre teams as well. The execption is the 'Bama game, but they have been disappointing as well....This is different than the football team's early problems in that they were due largely to inexperience and they played a tougher schedule than we all realized....The BBALL is a team that starts 4 returners from last year (Taj, Kevin, TE, and Godbold) from the stretch run, and they have played a decent schedule, but they should NOT have lost to the 'Huskers. I thought that it would be a good game, but I didn't believe that they would lose. I know that they didn't have Neal and Johnson is playing on a bum ankle, but they STILL should've won. Teams with this much talent don't lose games like this and don't play this poorly.

Harry Beanbag
1/10/2006, 09:55 AM
I've only gotten to watch one game this year, but Kelvin's teams have pretty much always sucked at offense.

crawfish
1/10/2006, 10:17 AM
If it's D, it's amazing that it's only affected our guards. Book & Taj are playing incredibly well.

I say A.

John Kochtoston
1/10/2006, 10:27 AM
If "A" is fixed, "B" doesn't matter and "C" looks a whole lot better.

JohnnyMack
1/10/2006, 10:50 AM
When has Kelvin evar known how to do C.? Although I am a little shocked at A. so maybe that goes back to B.

NickZeppelin
1/10/2006, 10:59 AM
We can't score more points then the other teams we play.

boomersoonerdude
1/10/2006, 11:16 AM
No Team Chemistry

NickZeppelin
1/10/2006, 11:25 AM
I think the team chemestry is fine. We just can't get the ball in the bucket right now.

JohnnyMack
1/10/2006, 11:27 AM
I think the team chemestry is fine. We just can't get the ball in the bucket right now.

If by "right now" you mean "since Calvin showed up", then yes, I agree.

IronHorseSooner
1/10/2006, 11:29 AM
Early in Kelvin's tenure, he had guys who were good guards at the college level. Erdmann, Brewer, Johnson (both Michael and Nolan), Martin, Hollis and Quannas. He has also ran-off a lot of good guards (Fowler, Raymond, Lavender, McKenzie, Alexander). Some of these guys did it to themselves, but some didn't fit in to the system. It seems as if lately that he has became so fixated with getting good big men, that he has forsaken getting good guards who can shoot. His best team (the Final Four team) were good inside and outside. His knock used to be that he couldn't coach big men. Now, he has problems with guards. Maybe that will change next year with Scotty Reynolds and he will be a Hollis Price type. His most effective offensive sets have been the 1-4 high and the weave, which is a type of motion offense. Why this team doesn't do either is beyond me, I guess that's why I'm not a BBALL coach. I think that this team will eventually turn around, but what will it take. As far as Coach saying that this team is not all Taj is unlike his past teams. He usually has ALWAYS had his teams built around one or two players (Minor, Erdmann, Cory Brewer, Eduardo, Aaron McGhee, Hollis). This player would step up and become the team leader, and they got the majority of the touches. Coach seems to be distracted. "D", therefore, is my answer.

NickZeppelin
1/10/2006, 11:32 AM
If by "right now" you mean "since Calvin showed up", then yes, I agree.

OU's average 75 a game since Calvin showed up. That's about as good as anyone else in the country in that 10 year span.

PrideTrombone
1/10/2006, 11:41 AM
OU's average 75 a game since Calvin showed up. That's about as good as anyone else in the country in that 10 year span.

Scheduling SUNY-Binghampton and Coppin State (who we managed 57 points against) probably has something to do with that.

NickZeppelin
1/10/2006, 11:55 AM
You still play in the Big 12. If we couldn't score in the Big 12 you would think it would bring us down even if we scheduled real easy OOC. Also playing Michigan State(3 times), UConn(4 times), Cincinatti(when they were ranked 1st in the country), Maryland(Twice), Duke, Arkansas(5 times and we beat em by 30 when they were a top 25 team in the last 90s), Miss State(3 times), Purdue(5 times including 3 times when they were ranked), Alabama(Twice), Villanova, and West Virginia. Kelvin never plays anyone out of conference.

King Crimson
1/10/2006, 02:48 PM
we played Cincy twice. they manhandled us in Norman with Kenyon Martin and their half court D. they were big, fast, and "long" (as people say these days) and we couldn't even start our offense inside the timeline. they got out to a 9-0, 11-0 lead and we cut to 6 about midway through the first half, crowd going bonkers. Huggy calls TO, and gameover.

year before, at their place we played respectable, never really in it. double digit loss, but could have been worse (no, not a triple digit loss--that was the UCONN game in 2003-2004)

NickZeppelin
1/10/2006, 03:25 PM
Under Sampson we are 3-1 against UConn.

MikeInNorman
1/10/2006, 03:27 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58350

These players haven't uglied themselves into KS players yet. Hopefully, soon.

King Crimson
1/10/2006, 04:34 PM
As far as Coach saying that this team is not all Taj is unlike his past teams. He usually has ALWAYS had his teams built around one or two players (Minor, Erdmann, Cory Brewer, Eduardo, Aaron McGhee, Hollis). This player would step up and become the team leader, and they got the majority of the touches

i had the same thought after having the relative misfortune of attending the WVU game and then reading the DO and that quote the next day over the holidays. taj scored 2 points in the final 10 mintues of that game, after having 27 and we cut to 5 i think--and then just tank. with a lot of time left--10 minutes. and we got outscored 30-8 in that last time period, some of it due to garbage time and fouling......but not that much of it.

soonervegas
1/11/2006, 12:50 PM
Does Scottie Reynolds play more than 2 seasons at OU? I think the issue is Kelvin's my way or the highway attitude. I think most college coaches these days have to sooth egos from time to time. There is no reason Lavendar and Mackenzie should not be here this year....and these are the exact type of players we are missing. (Small, quick guards who can shoot from outside) I mean who leaves a program where you get significant minutes and are a preason top 5 team?

soonerwxman
1/11/2006, 01:01 PM
As I've posted elsewhere, the key to the past two losses is turnovers. With WV and Oral Roberts the problem was D. The def. has come around, but they are not good enough to turn it over 14 times/game and still win. I think this team will gel and the TOs will diminish. I just hope it happens sooner than later! I guess my answer to the original question is A.