PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Football Movies of All Time

lexsooner
1/9/2006, 08:05 PM
In no particular order:

All the Right Moves - accurately depicted high school football in a small Pennsylvania town where the blue collar steel worker locals lived vicariously through the team. The fat slob booster Bosko "What's the matter, Georgevic, ain't dis town good enough for ya?" was great. Tom Cruise played the hero and Lea Thompson was his sweetheart. Craig T. Nelson was the coach even before Coach - "You quit on me, man." Curiously, the Italian American running back who fumbled turned to a life of crime. "Help me , coach, help me!"

North Dallas Forty - Peter Gent's semi-fictional story of the Dallas Cowboys in the wild 70s, made into a movie with Nick Nolte back when there were some white receivers in the NFL. It was one of the first honest movies about pro football which showed the drugs, women, painkillers, partying, uncaring coaches and administration. Mack Davis played the qb based upon Dandy Don Meredith. The straight Christian qb was based on Staubach, I assume.
Oklahoma's own G.D. Spradlin played the Landry-like emotionless coach who believed in formulas and numbers.

Rudy - I can't stand Notre Dame, but I have to admit this was a well-made movie.

Henry Goldfarb Please Come Home - lightweight comedy from the 60s starring Shirley McClain. An Arab oil sheik is upset his son got cut from the Notre Dame football team, so he enlists a downed U.S. pilot to coach a team comprised of his son, a bunch of Arabs, McClain, and a herd of camels and goats. He then kidnaps the Notre Dame team and makes them play his team. The team of Arabs and goats and camels beat Notre Dame, with McClain scoring the winning td thanks to a big oil geiser which erupts at the right moment. This film is only noteworthy because it involves Notre Dame losing.

The Longest Yard - the original version. The underdogs win it. [Burt Reynolds:] "So where did you play ball? [ Sonny Sixkiller:] Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State U? No, Oklahoma State pen."

I am sure Friday Night Lights was a great movie, but I have not seen it. I have read the book. There was a real idiot named Jerrod McDougal who played OL and whose whole life was high school football. He was a poor student who hypocritically complained about America's future competing against countries with smart, educated kids.

Honorable mention: Waterboy.

Bama/OU
1/9/2006, 08:10 PM
With uni's like this:

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/2523/titans5i5ih.jpg

You have to include "Remember The Titans"....

:D

Oldnslo
1/9/2006, 08:23 PM
My brother is in "Remember the Titans". You've got to know where to look, though. He's also in "Passing Glory", a TNT basketball movie from a few years back.

Both times, he plays a redneck townie. Dude got typecast. :)

handcrafted
1/9/2006, 10:30 PM
No list of football movies is complete without Wildcats. Goldie Hawn as a football coach. Now that's entertainment. :D

And what was that movie with Robin Williams where the high school team gets together for a reunion and decides to play a game against this other team of old farts?

Edit: How on earth did I forget to include Possums?

picasso
1/9/2006, 10:32 PM
And what was that movie with Robin Williams where the high school team gets together for a reunion and decides to play a game against this other team of old farts?
"are you a rocket or a ****ant?"

"I'm pretty fast for a caucazzzion."

william_brasky
1/10/2006, 03:51 AM
http://gfx.filmweb.pl/f/9016/po.6945859.jpg

Okieflyer
1/10/2006, 07:56 AM
http://disneyvideos.disney.go.com/assets/boxart/normal/786936207699DDthL01.jpg

soonerjoker
1/10/2006, 10:44 AM
handcrafted
remember that movie, but not the title. had kurt russell & they played for taft, & the other school was from bakersfield, both in kern county california.

liked "all the right moves" it had lea's nice little boobs & sean penn's brother. before he got fat, very fat.

"against all odds" was good, about pro footballers in LA. had some scenes in cozymel & a relly good lookin girl, whose name escapes me. also alex karras,
one of bridges boys (beau's bro), james wood & dorian harewood.

Red October
1/10/2006, 10:50 AM
Necessary Roughness

picasso
1/10/2006, 11:07 AM
handcrafted
remember that movie, but not the title. had kurt russell & they played for taft, & the other school was from bakersfield, both in kern county california.

"smile, show the teeth."

"he's got his white shoes on!"

my lord people, the movie's called The Best of Times.

Sooner in Tampa
1/10/2006, 11:15 AM
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned "The Replacements" :rolleyes:

"Chicks dig scars"

frankensooner
1/10/2006, 11:21 AM
What? No Oklahoma City Dolls? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082840/

BoogercountySooner
1/10/2006, 11:34 AM
Brians Song was pretty good in the day!

AllAboutThe'O'
1/11/2006, 01:35 AM
Anyone remember "Number One," with Charlton Heston as an aging quarterback for the New Orleans Saints? The climactic scene in the movie has the Saints playing the Dallas Cowboys.

How about "Everybody's All-American?" Before he played The Rookie, Dennis Quaid was "The Grey Ghost." If anyone's read the book, it is a much darker ending (a la "The Natural") than the film.

And "North Dallas Forty" gets mentioned in the first post but not Semi-Tough? Heavens to Betsy.

SicEmBaylor
1/11/2006, 02:05 AM
Knute Rockne
Any Given Sunday
Remember the Titans

King Crimson
1/11/2006, 02:22 AM
North Dallas Forty is a tough one to beat. Brian's Song is good too.

the cat from OK in ND 40 is also great in the first couple scenes in Apocolypse Now....when they "debrief" Martin Sheen on Col. Kurtz. and his methods being unsound.