PDA

View Full Version : My Grandad is all but gone...

1stTimeCaller
1/9/2006, 11:38 AM
A while back I posted that he told me that he didn't think he'd live another year being as he was 83 and both of his parents died when they were 83.

Well, his best friend Gerry died this weekend of a heart attack at a poker table in Tunica.
My mom said that he's really taking it hard and he had told her last week that he just wanted to live long enough to go with Gerry and Buddy to Hot Springs in February and a bonus would be to live long enough to see my brother's baby born in July.

This makes me sad on many levels. I'll never forget being in San Antonio year or so ago for my cousin's wedding and going to the Alamo. He had on his Fedora hat and some guy rudely told him to take his hat off inside the Alamo. My granddad looked at this guy and said, "Well, I'm from Oklahoma and we have a saying up there at home, 'There wouldn't have been an Alamo if there was a backdoor' " He then took his hat off.

yermom
1/9/2006, 11:43 AM
nice story

going at the poker table... wow that's probably in the top 5 of best places to go :)

critical_phil
1/9/2006, 01:19 PM
my grandad is about the same age.

he remarked to me not too long ago about how he doesn't have many friends left to be a pallbearer for.

getting old sucks.

OU4LIFE
1/9/2006, 01:31 PM
correction, getting old ALONE sucks.

critical_phil
1/9/2006, 02:30 PM
correction, getting old ALONE sucks.

ahhhh.

i wanna grow old with you too...........