PDA

View Full Version : What's Opera Doc?

Pieces Hit
1/9/2006, 11:06 AM
I work with a couple of jugheads that just love opera.
My boss being one of them used to give me tickets for the Tulsa Opera.
And was I like at first going to say no?
I went 3 times with an open mind.
For the life of me, I cannot figure out what the attraction is.
I like classical and all kinds of music but appreciating these idgit's screeching and caterwailing is beyond me.
Asking this board to explain is probably futile.
I don't get it.

Pieces Hit
1/9/2006, 11:08 AM
I might add, this dumb thread is motivated by the fact that I am currently working on my boss's girlfriend's opera site.
She's a professional opera star of sorts and a royal pain in my butt.

TexasLidig8r
1/9/2006, 12:06 PM
Opera... the precursor to the WWE today.

Look at professional rasslin.... it involves costuming... songs (entrance music)... good guys.. bad guys.. love interests... a nefarious evil person... betrayal, good vs. evil.... Rasslin is simply opera for the great unwashed.

Now.. what is the attraction of opera to some? First, people either "get it" or they don't. Most, .. do not. Assuming the Tulsa Opera has translations over the stage, people can keep up with the plot.

So.. you find yourself being able to "lose yourself" in the characters and the plot and can "feel" the emotions and passions portrayed on stage.. or it never hits.

For the record, I recommend most people start out with one of the "starter operas.".... La Boheme, Madame Butterfly, Tosca...

(and I know this was wasted on this site.. but.. what the hell). :cool:

JohnnyMack
1/9/2006, 12:12 PM
Opera... the precursor to the WWE today.

Look at professional rasslin.... it involves costuming... songs (entrance music)... good guys.. bad guys.. love interests... a nefarious evil person... betrayal, good vs. evil.... Rasslin is simply opera for the great unwashed.

Now.. what is the attraction of opera to some? First, people either "get it" or they don't. Most, .. do not. Assuming the Tulsa Opera has translations over the stage, people can keep up with the plot.

So.. you find yourself being able to "lose yourself" in the characters and the plot and can "feel" the emotions and passions portrayed on stage.. or it never hits.

For the record, I recommend most people start out with one of the "starter operas.".... La Boheme, Madame Butterfly, Tosca...

(and I know this was wasted on this site.. but.. what the hell). :cool:

I'm with ya.

And yes, it probably was.

Pieces Hit
1/9/2006, 12:17 PM
I have read the subtitles and would much prefer to sit on the couch and lose myself to Andy Griffith and a can of Pringles.

RacerX
1/9/2006, 12:42 PM
I went to the Tulsa Opera a while back and saw Aida.

A geezer behind dozed and started snoring up a storm until his wife gave him the old elbow into the ribs.

I enjoyed the Opera and the snoring.

yermom
1/9/2006, 12:59 PM
i don't like WWE either

i'll stick with films

Pieces Hit
1/9/2006, 01:07 PM
I saw "Carmen" and the lead female - who is supposed to be dead sexy - weighed seriously 300+ pounds.

Her arms were sticking out from her sides like a penguin.

Her butt was Jerry Springer humongus.

And then these guys were fighting over her and stuff.

Funny yet disgusting.