PDA

View Full Version : cbs sportsline says ou basketball is under investigation

jrboomersooner
1/9/2006, 09:23 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9153113

I hope its not as serious as doyle makes it sound.

jthomasou78
1/9/2006, 10:55 AM
I understand its a rule, that we probably violated. but talking to a kid, is nothing like covering up a murder, a rape, giving a kid a hummer, or some other crazy **** that happens at schools.

crawfish
1/9/2006, 11:08 AM
Read that article carefully, and you'll see it's a big bag of nothing. A bunch of innuendo that leads nowhere.

Is there ANY looser alumni connection to a school than graduating from its school of medicine? That's hardly proof that the guy is a die-hard OU supporter who's illegally inducing players to go to OU.

The NCAA is kind of ridiculous about this. You can only call a recruit once per week - and if you accidentally get his mom and he's not home, you're screwed, yet you can text message a recruit all day every day and you're not breaking a rule.

CtheB
1/9/2006, 11:49 AM
Read that article carefully, and you'll see it's a big bag of nothing. A bunch of innuendo that leads nowhere.

Is there ANY looser alumni connection to a school than graduating from its school of medicine? That's hardly proof that the guy is a die-hard OU supporter who's illegally inducing players to go to OU.

The NCAA is kind of ridiculous about this. You can only call a recruit once per week - and if you accidentally get his mom and he's not home, you're screwed, yet you can text message a recruit all day every day and you're not breaking a rule.

We can denounce the merits of the article all we want (and its probably stronger than what really happened), but the reality is that even in its simplest form it is cheating, and as a fan base we should not accept it.

crawfish
1/9/2006, 12:07 PM
We can denounce the merits of the article all we want (and its probably stronger than what really happened), but the reality is that even in its simplest form it is cheating, and as a fan base we should not accept it.

Oh, I'm not saying the phone calls are ok...it was likely a procedural problem and according to the OU administration, it's fixed. I'm saying the main issue with the article - that OU and Athlete's first are in some kind of illegal alliance - is shaky to say the least.

Phil
1/9/2006, 12:10 PM
I used to work for Gary Vick while I was in college. I don't think he'd be involved in anything like what they are implying in that article.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/9/2006, 12:21 PM
I don't buy the whole "Marathon Oil for Recruit scandal" part of the article but there certainly is something wrong with the # of phone calls. I don't see that in any way being comparable though to the mess that went down at Missouri where a guy gets 22 hours correspondence credit in a summer, almost certainly got cash $$$ from an assistant coach and violates his probation by wrecking an ATV while playing around on the University President's property. That's not to mention MU's sordid past.

It is bad press though and while I really doubt we will get whacked too hard, it as at least a reason for concern.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/9/2006, 12:54 PM
http://www.fresnostatenews.com/2005/03/0317-Coach.htm

there are only a few rules that the NCAA will slap you upside the head for. impermissable phones calls is one, covering up a murder investigation seems to be the other.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/9/2006, 01:12 PM
I commend coach Lopes on following through on a promise to coach a violation free program. I don't think it was his intention or Coach Sampson's to violate the rules. 400-500 calls sounds like a lot but it is over the course of 4-5 seasons, right? Also that would include call backs, answering machines etc.

We are talking about the NCAA so they can pretty well punish anyone for anything, anytime with little or no consequences but it seems to be that the one t-shirt is probably worse than 200 calls and one t-shirt isn't much. I guess we will see.

soonervegas
1/9/2006, 01:17 PM
Didnt Ryno call this like 3 years ago?

It looks like the NCAA thinks this is pretty serious not to take the self imposed sanctions. Look for a loss of postseason play at some point surrounding this issue....

This on top of our horrific play....geesh.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/9/2006, 01:37 PM
he called probation, but it was over improper benefits. of course, 04 saw this crap coming, didn't you ;)

Eielson
1/9/2006, 03:53 PM
didn't we already lose 2 scholarships for next year and 1 for the year after that?