PDA

View Full Version : Heh.

OUstudent4life
1/8/2006, 10:38 PM
On a horn site, the following statements have already been made:

We'll have a good defense and running backs, so we'll be ok.
A 9-10 win season wouldn't be so bad.
The team will have something to prove, since they won't be getting respect at the start of the season.
This should be fun, since we won't expect as much. Less pressure.

:D Welcome to our last year, my 'friends'.

I'm still smiling about Mack saying during the Rose Bowl that the secret to VY becoming so good is that they just stopped coaching him. I wonder if that strategy will work for a freshman QB ;).

The Consumate Showman
1/8/2006, 10:45 PM
They may have an OU 2005 year on their hands.....

OUstudent4life
1/8/2006, 10:49 PM
I'm also wondering if all those in the press that have already released their preseason 2006 football rankings with the horns #1 contingent on VY coming back are going to actually redo those rankings.

Nah. That would be too much work. :D

olevetonahill
1/8/2006, 10:51 PM
On a horn site, the following statements have already been made:

We'll have a good defense and running backs, so we'll be ok.
A 9-10 win season wouldn't be so bad.
The team will have something to prove, since they won't be getting respect at the start of the season.
This should be fun, since we won't expect as much. Less pressure.

:D Welcome to our last year, my 'friends'.

I'm still smiling about Mack saying during the Rose Bowl that the secret to VY becoming so good is that they just stopped coaching him. I wonder if that strategy will work for a freshman QB ;).

Nope what that means is :mack: knows he cant coach but was smart enough to just STFU And let VY git him a few trophys ;)

85sooners
1/8/2006, 11:04 PM
**** texas yall hear me!!!!!!!!!

GDC
1/8/2006, 11:21 PM
I love that they effectively could only enjoy their title for about three days. Thanks Vince!

Readyfor8
1/8/2006, 11:27 PM
Leave it to the whorns to be atleast 1 year behind us at all times.

shavedmarmoset
1/8/2006, 11:44 PM
I was back in Houston visiting home for the holidays and I talked to my UT friends. Funny thing, I told them that VY was the only reason they won it all this year and they all smiled and said, "Hell yeah!" Then I reminded them of what their team was like without VY and those smiles left their faces. They all stared blankly around for a minute remembering and realizing they were nothing without their savior.

Heh! Tuck Fexas

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/9/2006, 12:14 AM
I love that they effectively could only enjoy their title for about three days. Thanks Vince!

Me, too. Sweet.

NormanPride
1/9/2006, 11:53 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't like this situation? Now the roles are reversed this year, and we have to blow them out or else we look bad. I hate those types of games. Any win against Texas is great, but the rest of the nation won't know that...

Maybe I'm just being too dour. Yeah, that's probably it.

westcoast_sooner
1/9/2006, 12:24 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't like this situation? Now the roles are reversed this year, and we have to blow them out or else we look bad. I hate those types of games. Any win against Texas is great, but the rest of the nation won't know that...

Maybe I'm just being too dour. Yeah, that's probably it.

Understand what you're trying to say, but I think after what we've been through this year, I think expectations on us will be somewhat lower than they were at the beginning of this season. And Texas is going to be the defending champion, so they'll get some ranking because of that, and in spite of VY leaving.

I'm thinking that their QB situation is much like ours was at the beginning of the season. Snead looked OK at the Army AA game on Saturday, but he won't have the benefit of spring ball, which means that their starter is going to be someone that doesn't have a lot of game experience. (Why do I have this mental image of Colt McCoy with spindly legs struggling to stand up - likely due to our defensive pressure moving in to knock him down again :) )

Both teams should be ranked going into the RRS, and with the skill players and defense we have, we could do well, but much will depend on how our O-Line comes along.

caphorns
1/9/2006, 12:31 PM
Your 2006 may have you right back at where you started in 2005. Searching for a block.

We probably take a step back and I see us as AT BEST a Holiday Bowl contender. If we repeat your 2005 season it would be a good success, but far from what I hope to see in 2-3 years.

And speaking of VY bringing us the championship, it does give me some comfort that our coaching staff identified him a potentially great quarterback while Bob and Co. only saw him as a receiver. Well, turns out he can field the position pretty good :)

NormanPride
1/9/2006, 12:40 PM
And speaking of VY bringing us the championship, it does give me some comfort that our coaching staff identified him a potentially great quarterback while Bob and Co. only saw him as a receiver. Well, turns out he can field the position pretty good :)

While correct about the WR thing, I don't think Bob would have been willing to sell his soul on offense just to get VY to do good things. That's mid-major strategy, man. Texas should be better than that, and that's one reason why I've lost what little respect I had for Mack as a coach.

caphorns
1/9/2006, 12:51 PM
NP - What? "Sell his soul". I missed that. Bob's changed his offense to suit Adrian Peterson hasn't he?

footballfanatic
1/9/2006, 12:52 PM
**** texas yall hear me!!!!!!!!!

I hear you. I'm working this week in LA, and it's fun to get a West Coast perspective on college football. I've seen McCoy play--he's average at best, at least until proven otherwise. Our other QB Snead WILL be in spring ball--he's enrolling in January. I think the UT defense will be really good, and the other offensive skill players are still there. We surely won't be competing for the NC, but it will still be a good game between OU and UT.

OUstudent4life
1/9/2006, 12:58 PM
to the horn fans...

do you think Mack and Co will continue to try to run the Spread Option, or move to a more drop-back pass game?

bbowsooner
1/9/2006, 01:03 PM
Texas beat us with their defense and Vince was not the only reason for a win. A defensive lineman ran for a 60 year touchdown and a freshman running back ran for a 70 yard touchdown.
And for the record, the Horns web site says that the Snead kid is enrolling in spring.

NormanPride
1/9/2006, 01:03 PM
NP - What? "Sell his soul". I missed that. Bob's changed his offense to suit Adrian Peterson hasn't he?

Not the same way Mack and Davis installed the VY offense. All we did was add some I formations. At least we still kept the spread. From what I've seen of your offense, the only one who could ever run it is VY.

azzbakwardz
1/9/2006, 01:21 PM

OMG - I CANT STOP LAUGHING.........:D

JohnnyMack
1/9/2006, 01:27 PM
I'm still smiling about Mack saying during the Rose Bowl that the secret to VY becoming so good is that they just stopped coaching him.

Somewhere, gently, Chris Simms is sobbing.

caphorns
1/9/2006, 01:35 PM
Not the same way Mack and Davis installed the VY offense. All we did was add some I formations. At least we still kept the spread. From what I've seen of your offense, the only one who could ever run it is VY.

Not really. Alex Smith did a great job in Utah of running a very similar scheme. Florida was running it pretty well by the end of the year. tOSU has taken elements of the offense. Frankly, we've only run this offense since Vince became our primary QB and Mack agreed to release the reigns (and stop trying to win solely by overpowering our opponents on offense).

Probably the most subtle but significant change is the move to a zone blocking scheme (which was brought to us via Greg Davis' relationship with Gary Kubiak - current Denver Broncos OC). I don't think you can underestimate the effect of this scheme in both opening running lanes and protecting our QB.

I do think you will see less of the zone read play when our offense rolls around next year. It just doesn't make sense to run so much of that particular play where you don't have a physical freak to run it.

Herr Scholz
1/9/2006, 01:43 PM
I'm still smiling about Mack saying during the Rose Bowl that the secret to VY becoming so good is that they just stopped coaching him.
Not what he said. He said they stopped 'bothering' him, as in stressing him out. In fact, Vince's improvement this year can be attributed to his dailly film sessions with Greg Davis, understanding defenses better. He admitted as much himself. That's QB development. Vince always had the physical skills. Greg Davis and Mack Brown also developed Applewhite very well, who was a great college QB.

The one that didn't live up to the hype was Simms. Judging by his choke job again this weekend, maybe Brown and Davis got all they could out of him. He still can't look off receivers, still telegraphs his passes and as a result, still gets them batted down at the LOS. Even under the tutelage of QB guru Chuckie.

Ban One Sooner
1/9/2006, 01:50 PM
They may have an OU 2005 year on their hands.....

It may be worse than that. We'll see how well Mack can put together an offense next year. From a psychological standpoint there are several interesting factors at play that could send these guys into a spiral:

1) age of coaches (rest on their laurels now that they've won)
2) mediocrity of offensive coaches
3) potential for selfishness among players now that they have won a MNC, how will they respond to winning in the offseason, as a team towards each other next season.
4) how will they respond to losing next year

I think it's fairly safe to say 3) bit us to some extent in the years following the 2000 MNC.

mojohornfan
1/9/2006, 01:51 PM
I was back in Houston visiting home for the holidays and I talked to my UT friends. Funny thing, I told them that VY was the only reason they won it all this year and they all smiled and said, "Hell yeah!" Then I reminded them of what their team was like without VY and those smiles left their faces. They all stared blankly around for a minute remembering and realizing they were nothing without their savior.

Heh! Tuck Fexas

I sometimes wonder if this board is nothing but teenagers!

Yes, we will be in OU's shoes of 05, but that just makes '06 that more exciting. You gotta love college football.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/9/2006, 01:51 PM
Did I miss something? When was the last time Texas "sucked"? Sure the Sooners beat them 5 years straight, but they won like 10 games each season and at the very minimum went to the Holiday Bowl. It's been a couple a years since anyone outside of OU beat them. Although they will be down caphorns, It sounds like you think this will be the WORST Texas team in the past 6 years. The worst UT team is still better than the best TTU team...so I see them as a threat still.

Ban One Sooner
1/9/2006, 01:54 PM
Not what he said. He said they stopped 'bothering' him, as in stressing him out. In fact, Vince's improvement this year can be attributed to his dailly film sessions with Greg Davis, understanding defenses better. He admitted as much himself. That's QB development. Vince always had the physical skills. Greg Davis and Mack Brown also developed Applewhite very well, who was a great college QB.

The one that didn't live up to the hype was Simms. Judging by his choke job again this weekend, maybe Brown and Davis got all they could out of him. He still can't look off receivers, still telegraphs his passes and as a result, still gets them batted down at the LOS. Even under the tutelage of QB guru Chuckie.

I'd put money that Simms will be a better NFL QB than Young. How exactly is the "run around play" developing a QB? I'm sorry, but even Lee Corso could figure out how to call plays with Vince Young at QB.

westcoast_sooner
1/9/2006, 02:09 PM
I'd put money that Simms will be a better NFL QB than Young. How exactly is the "run around play" developing a QB? I'm sorry, but even Lee Corso could figure out how to call plays with Vince Young at QB.

Simms wasn't a terrible NFL QB this year. His two INTs on Saturday were due to the passes being tipped. He does have work to do, but TB could have gone into a spiral and lost quite a bit after Griese went down. Simms didn't play spectacularly, but played well enough not to lose. Sometimes he does still telegraph his passes, but not all the time. And if Shepherd holds onto the pass in the endzone, TB ties the game and maybe wins.

Herr Scholz
1/9/2006, 02:10 PM
I disagree about Simms. He's still got that deer in the headlight look about him. Whatever "it" is, he's never had it. Did you also notice the fumble Sean Taylor returned for a TD and how Simms was about 2 ft from it and was too scared to stick his nose in there or get on the ground? Maybe he'll continue to mature and get tougher. Who knows.

About Vince, he's the first QB in college football history to run for 1,000 yards and pass for 3,000. To say his game is one "run around play" is ridiculous. He handled every blitz and defense thrown at him this year and that comes from studying and understanding what they're trying to do. He was developed into a QB this year, not just an athlete. And he won a lot more games this year with his arm vs. his legs (see tOSU in Columbus).

colleyvillesooner
1/9/2006, 02:17 PM

You just LOVE this recruiting nugget you've got there.

yur-out
1/9/2006, 02:21 PM
Greg Davis and Mack Brown also developed Applewhite very well, who was a great college QB.
They intentionally developed him into a bench warmer?!? Yea,Mack's got mad skills for that. Taking a great college qb and putting him on the bench.

yur-out
1/9/2006, 02:24 PM
I disagree about Simms. He's still got that deer in the headlight look about him. Whatever "it" is, he's never had it.
That must be why "The Great Coach Mack Brown" had him playing infront of Major. Makes sense to me Herr.

Herr Scholz
1/9/2006, 02:26 PM
They intentionally developed him into a bench warmer?!? Yea,Mack's got mad skills for that. Taking a great college qb and putting him on the bench.
Major was developed by Mack and GD into the Big XII offensive player of the year while having the athletic ability of you or me. They got every ounce of talent out of him. He just didn't have the NFL arm. They saw Simms with more upside. He just didn't pan out.

Herr Scholz
1/9/2006, 02:27 PM
That must be why "The Great Coach Mack Brown" had him playing infront of Major. Makes sense to me Herr.
Simms had more potential. I think even you would admit that.

Why won't you admit that Applewhite and Young were both developed very nicely at the QB position at Texas? Why harp on just one player?

RooseveltRoughRider
1/9/2006, 02:31 PM
Simms will go down as a Sooner Legend for helping OU thrash Texas. I really thought Mack was dumb for having a proven leader (Applewhite) on the bench while Simms stunk it up.

yur-out
1/9/2006, 02:38 PM
Simms had more potential. I think even you would admit that.

Why won't you admit that Applewhite and Young were both developed very nicely at the QB position at Texas? Why harp on just one player?
Why is it so hard for you to admit that VY became better when they left him alone and that the coaching staff made a HUGE coaching error in not playing Applewhite.

Herr Scholz
1/9/2006, 02:47 PM
Why is it so hard for you to admit that VY became better when they left him alone and that the coaching staff made a HUGE coaching error in not playing Applewhite.
If by "left him alone" you mean daily film sessions with him at 6:00 every morning for months and months then you'd be correct. Vince has said his development this year was due to Greg Davis' coaching. That's the truth.

Applewhite lost plenty of games as the QB at Texas (none of you ever seem to mention that) and didn't have the potential of Simms. I'd have played Simms with his upside. Hindsight is 20/20.

shavedmarmoset
1/9/2006, 02:50 PM
I sometimes wonder if this board is nothing but teenagers!

Hey I may be 18 but I'm probably the youngest one on here or at least close to it.

Herr Scholz
1/9/2006, 02:52 PM
...when they left him alone...

To Coach Davis, I know we didn't see each other at first, but now we're best of friends and I appreciate you sitting me down and helping me understand the game. It helped the game be more fun than it already was. It became more fun knowing what you're doing out there.

Hats off to coach Davis for teaching the things he taught me in college and also getting me prepared for the next level. Now I can take the things that he taught me, go to the next level, use that, and learn some more.
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=40&url_article_id=1888&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

NormanPride
1/9/2006, 02:58 PM
If by "left him alone" you mean daily film sessions with him at 6:00 every morning for months and months then you'd be correct. Vince has said his development this year was due to Greg Davis' coaching. That's the truth.

You think Vince would say his development was due to him ignoring his coaches? I'm sure the film helped, but that's not what made him better. He decided to stay in the pocket more, and his WR's stopped being idiots. Stop before you complement Greg Davis on something. ;)

Applewhite lost plenty of games as the QB at Texas (none of you ever seem to mention that) and didn't have the potential of Simms. I'd have played Simms with his upside. Hindsight is 20/20.

Major liked to blow easy games, yes. But he was pretty good when it counted, and Simms wasn't near ready to start. Everyone knew that. Don't you remember everyone giving Mack a hard time because he started a rook on hype?

Herr Scholz
1/9/2006, 03:04 PM
I'm sure the film helped, but that's not what made him better. He decided to stay in the pocket more, and his WR's stopped being idiots. Stop before you complement Greg Davis on something. ;)
I've got a shrine to Greg Davis in my garage now. I cut out a picture of his face and glued it to a Buddha statue. People can come by and rub his belly for luck now.

Young studied more in the film room and he and his receivers practiced relentlessly over the offseason. As a result, they were all on the same page (unlike last year) and Young knew what to do with the ball every time (also unlike last year). It was the mental aspect they were lacking in '04 (thus the 12-0 game vs. you guys).

I would rather Applewhite started the '01 Big XII title game vs. CU (as well as the OU games) but hingsight's 20/20.

caphorns
1/9/2006, 03:20 PM

Gruden pencilled Simms in as a starter a couple of seasons ago only to be proven wrong later. Now he's back as a starter only out of necessity (because Griese went down). The reality is that nobody throws a better practice ball than Chris. It can fool even the best of evaluators. Players love the guy. And Simms didn't exactly suck when he played for Texas. It was the big games against tough defenses where his mental flaws were exposed. The NFL just happens to be a big game every week (as opposed to the 3 or 4 tough games - or less - per year that either of our programs face). Frankly, I'm not sure that his big game record was much different from Jason White's.

Bill Callahan
1/9/2006, 03:33 PM
Hard to believe. Sooners have turned into aggies.:rolleyes:

FirstandGoal
1/9/2006, 04:55 PM
Is it Tuesday yet?

OUthunder
1/9/2006, 04:57 PM
The world is once again as it should be.

Phil
1/9/2006, 05:59 PM
I've got a shrine to Greg Davis in my garage now. I cut out a picture of his face and glued it to a Buddha statue. People can come by and rub his belly for luck now.

Wow. Who'd have thought two years ago you would have ever seen a Texas fan say something like this about Greg Davis?

Herr, you didn't use superglue, did you? That way, you'll be able to peel off Davis' pic and put it back in the toilet as a target, where it's been for the last five years.

Herr Scholz
1/9/2006, 06:08 PM
Wow. Who'd have thought two years ago you would have ever seen a Texas fan say something like this about Greg Davis?

Herr, you didn't use superglue, did you? That way, you'll be able to peel off Davis' pic and put it back in the toilet as a target, where it's been for the last five years.
It was a cheap statue. I can just toss it if we go back to the East/West offense this next season. And have you seen the man lately? He really does look like a Buddha with that paunch of his.

The flip/flop really wasn't that problematic. It just included a lot of cancelled contracts on GD. I personally lost a deposit to my hitman.

BASSooner
1/9/2006, 06:11 PM
last time i checked...it wasn't august yet..go away herr

caphorns
1/9/2006, 06:14 PM
I've got no beef with Greg Davis. Vicious and semi-unfounded rumor has Gary Kubiak - current Denver OC - potentially interested in bringing him to the Houston Texans when he gets the job. Stranger things have happened. Davis uses the same zone blocking schemes that Denver uses. If so, I won't shed much of a tear when Bobby Kennedy takes over the play calling.

OUstudent4life
1/9/2006, 06:20 PM
wow. i think this is the first post i've ever started that turned into a three page hullaballoo that ends up with horn fans liking Greg Davis.

Which is the reason I posed my question...do you think GD will go back to East-West throws (which work in Stillwater, remember) now that he has a less experienced QB? Less option football, more "safe throws?" By safe throws, I mean those long E-W throws that we used to do that caused everyone in the stadium to mutter "interception..."

Herr Scholz
1/9/2006, 06:33 PM
last time i checked...it wasn't august yet..go away herr
If the mods tell me to, I will. Other flippant comments weren't enforced on this board so I don't see why mine should be.

Thanks for pulling for us BTW. ;)

olevetonahill
1/9/2006, 07:33 PM
If the mods tell me to, I will. Other flippant comments weren't enforced on this board so I don't see why mine should be.

Thanks for pulling for us BTW. ;)
Cause ur a :texan: thats why ! Oh and I didnt pull for yall :cool:

47straight
12/8/2010, 06:53 PM
As soonercoaster said,

http://i11.tinypic.com/6gnskyd

There are so many Greg Davis sunshine pumping quotes in this thread, I can't choose just one.

85sooners
12/8/2010, 07:10 PM
:pop: