PDA

View Full Version : I performed a surgery this week

Ike
1/8/2006, 07:42 PM
....on my laptop that is.

the problem: DC power was inconsistent. sometimes the computer would not register the power input at all, sometimes only enough to power the computer and not charge the battery, and sometimes full power. could be temporarily 'fixed' by jiggling the input wire near the back of the computer.

the test: ran a voltmeter across the contacts of the DC input plug. jiggled the wires. found zero evidence that the problem was associated with the converter or the wires attached to it.

the diagnosis: after learning that the power jack on the back of the computer is connected to the main board by 4 solder points, I surmised that most likely, one of the solder joints had been jarred loose.

the operation: upon opening the laptop (completely unfortunately...we're talking everything but the CPU removed...there was no other way to get a good peek at both sides of the main board) I discovered that my diagnosis was correct.
http://www.nhn.ou.edu/~hall/problem1.jpg
as you can see, at the base of the post on the back of the power jack, the solder joint had been broken. when I plugged the cable into the jack while open, I could jiggle the wire and plainly see the post lose contact with the main board. After seeing this, I re-soldered the joint, and re-assembled the laptop.

the result: everything is beautiful now, and Im posting from it as we speak.

there was one small snag, that when I was removing the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the main board, the plastic fastner for the socket broke. this was repaired with superglue. obviously it works, because I am typing just fine.

woot!

afs
1/8/2006, 07:44 PM
what type of laptop? i'm having the same problem.

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 08:03 PM
my stupid laptop keeps overheating and shutting down. it's really annoying

dolemitesooner
1/8/2006, 08:26 PM
Wiht those smooth hands you can operrate any day on.....my computers ;)

Ike
1/8/2006, 08:59 PM
what type of laptop? i'm having the same problem.
its a toshiba satelitte. Ive heard that other toshiba models have a similar problem.

Ike
1/8/2006, 09:01 PM
my stupid laptop keeps overheating and shutting down. it's really annoying

if you feel comfortable opening it up, find a a step by step guide for disasembling it and open it up and dust off the fan and cooling fins. dust can really be a problem for laptop heat. if you are really confident, remove the cooling assembly entirely, clean it off, then re-seat it. make sure you apply a new layer of thermal compound when you do though.

if you aren't comfortable with it, take it to a shop that will do those kinds of things for you.

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 09:03 PM
i have a toshiba satellite. i've had to replace the battery and the power cord so far ... it used to overheat and shut down and then one day it shut down and wouldn't come back on..i had to take it in for service and live without it for 2 weeks and they erased the HD in the process.

now it's overheating again, but i'm prepared..everythign has been backed up.

Ike
1/8/2006, 09:06 PM
where did you take it in?

you could also try vacuuming out the dust from the exhaust port. perhaps while blowing compressed air through the intake to jar some of the dust loose. I'll go dollars to doughnuts that thats what that is. its possible to that when they put it back together they either didnt apply or misapplied a new layer of thermal compound as well.

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 09:08 PM
took it to best buy. first time it needed a new fan. it's still under warranty

Ike
1/8/2006, 09:13 PM
took it to best buy. first time it needed a new fan. it's still under warranty
oh well if its under warranty, by all means, take it in.

my problem appeared exactly 1 week after the warranty expired. :(

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 09:15 PM
what a drag..

i'm glad i splurged and got the extended 4 year.

Ike
1/8/2006, 09:18 PM
ahhh....I didn't mainly because Im just confident enough with tools to be dangerous :D

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 09:18 PM
i don't even own any tools

*sigh*

GottaHavePride
1/8/2006, 10:22 PM
i don't even own any tools

*sigh*

Pffff. Chicks. Any repair work of this sort is an excuse to go purchase the tools you need to do the repair. That way you have the tools in the future. It's manly impulse shopping!

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 10:28 PM
i was thinking about buying one of those soldering things..the ones you see on TV that heat up and cool down in mere seconds..have you seen'em?

IB4OU2
1/8/2006, 10:49 PM
i was thinking about buying one of those soldering things..the ones you see on TV that heat up and cool down in mere seconds..have you seen'em?

Yes, those are for the idiots that constantly stuck the old ones to tongue or finger to see if they were still warm.......in other words the ones on TV are Aggot proof.......

Ike
1/8/2006, 11:02 PM
Yes, those are for the idiots that constantly stuck the old ones to tongue or finger to see if they were still warm.......in other words the ones on TV are Aggot proof.......

heh. my soldering iron was one of my dads old ones. from like 1957. still works though.

Ike
1/8/2006, 11:09 PM
Pffff. Chicks. Any repair work of this sort is an excuse to go purchase the tools you need to do the repair. That way you have the tools in the future. It's manly impulse shopping!

very true. but since this repair was done while I was at home, I was using my pop's tools. which meant that the available tools were more than adequate.

however, I did discover a tool in my dads toolbox that needs to be in mine. a solder sucker.

IB4OU2
1/8/2006, 11:10 PM
I still have my Weber from about 1978 BC (Before CMOS)......

GottaHavePride
1/8/2006, 11:34 PM

I've seen 'em, but I don't believe they work. Mainly because I can't think of anything with crazy enough heat transference properties to pull that rapid a temperature change with nothing but air as a heat sink.

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 11:48 PM

well that's what i need :D

i'm a novice at soldering things.

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 11:57 PM

well that's what i need :D

i'm a novice at soldering things.

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 11:59 PM
apparently i'm a novice at posting here too.