PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Suffer From Migraines?

OUthunder
1/8/2006, 06:37 PM
I have since I was about 11, but they finally have gotten so bad, and lessened my quality of life, that I finally went to the doc on Wednesday. I am on a new therapy that consists on Inderal LA, Ibuprofen (when I feel the trigger for the migraine) Elavil, and Imitrex if the other three drugs fail me. My BP was clocked at 144/88, which was a tad hi for me. She ordered a CT on my brain which will find something (lots of grey matter) and I have decided no more sweets, no more soda, and a healthier lifestyle which includes more sex with the wife and more exercise once the migraines are under control..

Anyone else suffer from these day wreckers?

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2006, 07:11 PM
Only when I read the football board;)

At least I know what makes you cranky now.:D

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 07:17 PM
my mother does, but half the time i think she's making it up just to get out of doing things she doesn't want to do.

TUSooner
1/8/2006, 07:20 PM
My 14yo daughter gets them sometimes. In her case, they seem to be related to changes in the weather, especially sharp rises in air pressure. Poor thing; they knock her out for a day or more. Good luck.

GDC
1/8/2006, 07:35 PM
I've never had them but I've seen people around me down for the **** with them.

GDC
1/8/2006, 07:36 PM
Hmm, if you accidentally leave the "o" out of "count" you get ****, hadn't thought of that.

jk the sooner fan
1/8/2006, 07:47 PM
My 14yo daughter gets them sometimes. In her case, they seem to be related to changes in the weather, especially sharp rises in air pressure. Poor thing; they knock her out for a day or more. Good luck.

sure it isnt one week out of the month? thats when my wife gets them...

oumartin
1/8/2006, 07:47 PM
Thunder, I had migranes from age 10 up to 25 and i would even go numb in my face on through my limbs and you know what was causing them?
Poor eyesight. I had a prescription for 800 mg ibuprofen for over 10 years until they finally got my prescription figured out. It would get so bad I couldn't even talk or I would slur my words. I haven't had one in probably 5 years but anytime I feel a slight ache in the head I just pop me some pills.
Hopefully you can get it figured out.

I even had two cat scans to see if I had something wrong with me.

have your eyes checked.

GDC
1/8/2006, 07:52 PM
I used to endure excrutiating, agonizing, unending headaches, then I got divorced, cleared it right up.

Howzit
1/8/2006, 07:53 PM
Is there any difference between taking one 800 mg prescription Ibuprofen and taking 800 mg of OTC Ibuprofen? I have never understood this.

Hublah
1/8/2006, 07:53 PM
I have since I was about 11, but they finally have gotten so bad, and lessened my quality of life, that I finally went to the doc on Wednesday. I am on a new therapy that consists on Inderal LA, Ibuprofen (when I feel the trigger for the migraine) Elavil, and Imitrex if the other three drugs fail me. My BP was clocked at 144/88, which was a tad hi for me. She ordered a CT on my brain which will find something (lots of grey matter) and I have decided no more sweets, no more soda, and a healthier lifestyle which includes more sex with the wife and more exercise once the migraines are under control..

I have had these off and on my whole life. They were triggered by head injuries at a young age. Haven't gone to the doc for it.
If I catch it early enough I can usually head it off at the pass...

oumartin
1/8/2006, 07:54 PM
i highly doubt it. but I'm pretty sure your body will only handle 800mg so popping anything over that is a waste.

oumartin
1/8/2006, 07:54 PM
If I catch it early enough I can usually head it off at the pass...

thats the key!!!!!!!!!!!

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 08:01 PM
Is there any difference between taking one 800 mg prescription Ibuprofen and taking 800 mg of OTC Ibuprofen? I have never understood this.

nope.
exactly the same.

oumartin
1/8/2006, 08:02 PM
like anyone could even know that brat. ;)

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 08:06 PM
like anyone could even know that brat. ;)

i could :D

don't believe me, ask OUDoc!!

oumartin
1/8/2006, 08:21 PM
Hey Thunder. The Stinger is returning to the ring! TnA Wrestling!

dolemitesooner
1/8/2006, 08:21 PM

1) you stare at the computer all day long.

2) Gawd hates you

3) Your wife is never going to start having more sex with...I cant tell you why she would get ****ed

:D

lexsooner
1/8/2006, 08:25 PM

I had them during a period of years I was under a lot of stress from work. I had the kind which involved a throbing pain, always within the right eye socket, and then nausea. It always started in the middle of the night and by morning I was usually too sick to my stomach to do much all day. I remember throwing up multiple times in a morning. They often hit at the end of week too. It took part of the day for the nausea to pass. However, strangely enough, sleeping all day did not leave me refreshed once the nausea left. Instead, I still felt wiped out and tired. I would then sleep well that night and feel wonderful the next day, having slept some sixteen hours the past day.

Most of the people I know have the kind which involves seeing stars and having extreme sensitivity to light, along with the nausea. They could be stress induced or come on because of changes in the weather and pressure.

Fortunately, things got better at work and I have not had one in quite a few years. However, I extend my sympathy because I know they are not much fun. Plus, it keeps you from smoking great ISM cigars, and that is a crying shame. I hope those meds will help you out.

critical_phil
1/8/2006, 09:04 PM
My BP was clocked at 144/88, which was a tad hi for me.

144/88

you've got something in common with Dick Cheney..........

GottaHavePride
1/8/2006, 10:19 PM
nope.
exactly the same.

Yeah, but the 800 mg pills are prescription, so med insurance will cover them - OTC is out of your pocket.

OUthunder
1/8/2006, 11:08 PM
Opthamologist is next then a TMJ guy. Having TMJ SUCKS!!!

My BP was probably elevated that day because I had a nasty migraine the day I went to the DR. It was so bad that I asked to have the light turned off during the Q/A part of the exam, and I bet it is much less now. My migranes start at the base of my skull and make there way north. Sometimes they would last for days, dusk to dawn. When I snapped at my kids one day for something trivial, I knew that I needed help.

Oddly enough, I haven't had a headache since I started the meds.

"Knock on Wood"

GDC
1/8/2006, 11:15 PM
Thunder, I'm pretty sure the whorns are somehow responsible for this.

FirstandGoal
1/8/2006, 11:35 PM

Migraines can have lots of causes.
the underlying pathophysiology is swelling and or spasming of the capillaries, thus causing the pain.
Couple of words of caution:
Do not skip doses of the Inderal... it will cause a "rebound effect", which could be a potential trigger. Also, the first few days you take it, be careful when you first get out of bed, or rise up from a sitting position because you can get dizzy. One big advantage to the Inderal is that it lowers you blood pressure, and slows down your heart rate so you will see that helped as well. The Elavil is a tri-cyclic antidepressant, which in addition to moderating certain neurotransmitters, also works on the vasculature and helps out. It does not have to be taken every day, but would probably work better for you if you did. Just don't drive or anything, cause it causes lots of drowsiness.
The Imitrex is great for migraines. Not very many side effects there, just be sure not to exceed the recommended max daily dose if you do get an attack. If you take too many, you can over-constrict the vasculature to the brain, which could give you NickZep syndrome.
Ibuprofen is a good call, because you can max out on that and not have to worry about potential toxicity like you do with acetaminophen.

Actually, caffiene is your friend when it comes to migraines. I know when I suffer a headache, caffeine helps. It is a good vasocontrictor, which is why a lot of prescription and otc products for headache have it in there.

And yes, 800mg of Ibuprofen is the same whether it is rx or otc.